Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 185484 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« on: December 24, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »

Because it's almost Jan 1st....and pitchers and catchers report in about 6 weeks. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »

Looks like Hideki Okajima is heading to the Yanks, in a minor league deal.

Maybe he and Kei Igawa can party together.....

Together again,
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »

Not the sexiest deal of the off season, but could be a good pickup if he has anything left in the tank.
I could see him giving the Sox lefty heavy lineup in particular some problems.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

Could be a good pickup and its a minor league deal so nothing to lose and something to possibly gain.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »

Was listening to MLB Radio today, lot's of Yankee discussion with a Yankee beat writer (sorry guys, didn't catch his name) on Jim Bowden and Casey Stern's show.

Pilf and Tim are probably aware of all this stuff but thought I'd pass it on..

A few interesting tidbits..

The Yanks brass isn't counting on Betances and Banuelos to be top of the rotation guys, more like 4th and 5th starters with maturing to do.  Good prospects with potential for sure.

They are definitely concerned about Phil Hughes and his conditioning but are optimistic he's working on it and are epecting him contibute heavily.

They're projecting Montero to do the majority of DH'ing with ARod and Jeter to get AB's there as well.

Lots of concerns with ARod health and declining production along with the $143 million still owed
over the term of his contract, not really news there I suppose.

They really like what Gardner's done but need him to get his on base up and cut down strikeouts, they'd like to see him mature into an everyday lead off guy.

Apparently everyone beyond the non tradeable vets and Cano are available if the right deal presents itself, perceived top prospects included.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

Not the sexiest deal of the off season, but could be a good pickup if he has anything left in the tank.
I could see him giving the Sox lefty heavy lineup in particular some problems.

I don't know, it looked to me like he had nothing left in the tank 2 years ago.  So unless he's refueled since then, I don't see him being a factor.  Maybe in the minors, but I'd be surprised if he actually made it to NY.  Hell, he wasn't good enough to make the Sox bullpen last year and they were a disaster outside of 3 guys.

Speaking of the Sox pen, they finally pulled off a deal for Andrew Bailey.  Included 2 prospects I know nothing about and Josh Reddick.  Reddick could be solid.  He tailed off dramatically after a scorching start last summer but that's to be expected.  He should even out and could be a David Murphy type (who they traded to Texas a few years back) or a little better.  I don't think he's a superstar in the making, but who knows for sure. 

As for Bailey, I'd like to say I love the move.  An Aceves, Melancon, Bailey back end SOUNDS good.  But is it any better than Aceves, Bard, Papelbon?  Also, last year I thought Wheeler, Jenks, Bard, Papelbon would be deadly, and that was far from the case.  So I'll reserve judgement.  You can never have too many arms though.  I just hope they turn out to be good arms.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:01:03 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »

Interesting move by Sox for Bailey, let's see how he does in a small ball park with fans in the stands as opposed to Oakland.

As for Oakland, the fire sale continues,

We're witnessing the trailer to "Moneyball 2" and it's not going to get any better any time soon.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »

Was listening to MLB Radio today, lot's of Yankee discussion with a Yankee beat writer (sorry guys, didn't catch his name) on Jim Bowden and Casey Stern's show.

Pilf and Tim are probably aware of all this stuff but thought I'd pass it on..

A few interesting tidbits..

The Yanks brass isn't counting on Betances and Banuelos to be top of the rotation guys, more like 4th and 5th starters with maturing to do.  Good prospects with potential for sure.

They are definitely concerned about Phil Hughes and his conditioning but are optimistic he's working on it and are epecting him contibute heavily.

They're projecting Montero to do the majority of DH'ing with ARod and Jeter to get AB's there as well.

Lots of concerns with ARod health and declining production along with the $143 million still owed
over the term of his contract, not really news there I suppose.

They really like what Gardner's done but need him to get his on base up and cut down strikeouts, they'd like to see him mature into an everyday lead off guy.

Apparently everyone beyond the non tradeable vets and Cano are available if the right deal presents itself, perceived top prospects included.

I'm more optimistic about Banuelos contributing then Betances at least in the near future. Banuelos had a good year last year, Betances not so much.

I know Hughes has been working out in a gym all offseason. So i think he finally gets that he has to get stronger.

Montero is gonna be a helluva DH for us until he is ready to catch on a daily basis.

Funny you mention A-Rod, i just heard today he had been doing some experimental therapy on his knee with permission from MLB. Hopefully it helps him.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »

Had no idea Pappelbonn went to the Phillies, They should be the favourites again this year

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »

Details of Albert Pujol's contract with the Angels are starting to surface, this from ESPN's Jerry Crasnick:

"Pujols will make $12M and $16M in first 2 years of $250M deal. Salary increases to more than $30M per year near end of deal."

That is absolutely mind boggling.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:02:26 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 10:51:51 PM »

That's ludicrous is what it is.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »

I think it is from Albert's standpoint, $30 million now is worth a helluva lot more than what it will be as the contract matures.

It's absolutely brilliant from the Angels standpoint, it's like he gave them an interest free loan.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »

I think it is from Albert's standpoint, $30 million now is worth a helluva lot more than what it will be as the contract matures.

It's absolutely brilliant from the Angels standpoint, it's like he gave them an interest free loan.

THIS, FYI, was how the Angels got around giving him deferred money (which every other contract offer he was mulling over contained)....they back-loaded the deal.

It's actually smart from BOTH parties perspectives:  Albert will get all his money during the actual term of the contract, and won't have to chase them for deferred money (and, as many Rangers players can attest, risk not seeing a penny of it if the team falls on hard times during the deferral phase).  The Angels will not have to pay interest on the deferred money and will pay out the higher contract $$ later, when the money is "worth less" (or not pay it all, or all of it, if there is ever some sort of trade).

At first blush, it might not seem it.  But it's actually win/win for both parties.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »

And more details...

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34098270

Albert Pujols' deal with the Angels, which is heavily backloaded, will be for $250 million if one counts the $10-million personal services rider, team and union sources said. If not, it's actually a $240-million contract.

The backloaded nature of the deal was first reported by ESPN.com, which correctly reported the first two years of the deal at $12 million and $16 million. The remaining eight years, as the agreement stands now, will be for $23 million, $24, million, $25 million, $26 million, $27 million, $28 million, $29 million and $30 million, the sources said.

That adds up to $240 million for 10 years, or if the post-retirement monies are counted, $250 million, not the $254 million widely reported previously.

That extra $10 million for "personal services'' could possibly not count toward the luxury tax since it is for "post retirement'' work, so a case could be made it shouldn't be counted toward the baseball deal, making it $240 million. But it may still be seen as a $250-million deal. ESPN said the deal is taking so long to be finalized because of the personal services arrangement.

In any case, the backloaded nature of the deal means it is worth somewhat less than $250 million. If they want to bring it up to $254 million, they'd have to backload it even more. But these are the numbers as they stand now. according to sources.

There is also a $3 million bonus if Pujols reaches 3,000 hits and $7 million if he breaks Barry Bonds' alltime home run record, as Yahoo! first reported. so that could bring it up to $260 million. ESPN reported the deal could be worth $265 million, so there may be additional incentives.

The Cards also owe him over 3 mil in deferred monies as well, no word on when that bill comes due as of yet.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:21:35 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »

A bit of Matt Garza destination speculation from the propaganda minister himself, Yanks/Sox are mentioned..

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34146543

There is "no real favorite'' in the five-team Matt Garza sweepstakes, according to someone familiar with the talks.

The teams involved the derby for the 28-year-old Cubs righthander at this point are the Yankees, Blue Jays, Tigers, Red Sox and Marlins. With the Cubs seeking young pitchers, it would seem that the Yankees, Blue Jays and Tigers could hold an edge ultimately. The Yankees have Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances, the Tigers Jacob Turner and the Blue Jays several well-regarded prospects at the lower levels. The Cubs are hoping to improve their young pitching stock, and Garza is the most marketable player they're willing to deal.

The Red Sox earlier named Garza, who went 10-10 with a 3.31 ERA in 2011, his only one with the Cubs, as a target in Theo Epstein compensation talks, but it's unclear wether the Cubs would even consider trying to solve the compensation issue while making a bigger Garza deal with Boston. They wouldn't surrender Garza straight-up for Epstein, and it's possible the Cubs would want to keep Garza and the compensation issues totally separate. The Red Sox don't have pitching prospects to match the Yankees or Blue Jays but do have hard-throwing righthander Anthony Ranaudo, who was drafted by Epstein, the new Cubs president.

The Cubs are obviously rebuilding but have been nonetheless tied to the Prince Fielder derby. A Cubs person suggested that while Fielder is the type of player they need, they aren't willing to pursue Fielder at all costs, a not unfamiliar refain for teams pursuing big-name free agents.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:33:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »

Scout.com Top 100 Prospects for 2012:

http://stlcardinals.scout.com/a.z?s=321&p=9&c=12&nid=287&lnid=287&pid=88&yr=2012

P 1  Matthew Moore L L 6-2/205 Durham (AAA) TAM Fort Walton Beach, FL
OF 2  Mike Trout R R 6-1/200 Arkansas (AA) LAA Millville, NJ
OF 3  Bryce Harper L R 6-3/225 Harrisburg (AA) WAS Las Vegas, NV
P 4  Julio Teheran L L 6-2/175 Gwinnett (AAA) ATL Colombia
C 5  Jesus Montero R R 6-4/230 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA) NYY Venezuela
P 6  Shelby Miller R R 6-3/207 Springfield (AA) STL Brownwood, TX
SS 7  Jurickson Profar B R 5-11/165 Hickory (A) TEX Netherlands Antilles
SS 8  Manny Machado R R 6-3/185 Frederick (A) BAL Miami, FL
P 9  Manny Banuelos L L 5-11/185 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA) NYY Mexico
P 10  Gerrit Cole R R 6-4/220 GCL Pirates (R) PIT Orange, CA
P 11  Jacob Turner R R 6-4/205 Toledo (AAA) DET 
C 12  Devin Mesoraco R R 6-1/220 Louisville (AAA) CIN 
P 13  Danny Hultzen L L 6-3/200 AZL Mariners (R) SEA Bethesda, MD
P 14  Drew Pomeranz R L 6-5/230 Kinston (A) CLE Collierville, TN
P 15  Martin Perez L L 6-0/178 Round Rock (AAA) TEX Venezuela
P 16  Jameson Taillon R R 6-6/225 West Virginia (A) PIT 
OF 17  Wil Myers R R 6-3/205 Northwest Arkansas (AA) KAN Thomasville, NC
3B 18  Nolan Arenado R R 6-1/205 Modesto (A) COL Lake Forest, CA
P 19  Carlos Martinez R R 6-0/166 Palm Beach (A) STL Dominican Republic
SS 20  Hak-Ju Lee L R 6-2/170 Montgomery (AA) TAM Korea (South)
P 21  Arodys Vizcaino R R 6-0/190 Lynchburg (A) ATL 
2B 22  Jean Segura R R 5-11/160 Inland Empire (A) LAA Dominican Republic
P 23  Jarrod Parker R R 6-1/195 Sacramento (AAA) OAK Ossian, IN
3B 24  Miguel Sano R R 6-3/190 GCL Twins (R) MIN 
P 25  Jarred Cosart R R 6-3/180 Corpus Christi (AA) HOU League City, TX
P 26  Tyler Skaggs L L 6-4/180 Mobile (AA) ARI Venice, CA
OF 27  Aaron Hicks B R 6-2/170 Beloit (A) MIN Long Beach, CA
P 28  Dellin Betances R R 6-9/245 Trenton (AA) NYY Brooklyn, NY
OF 29  Michael Choice R R 6-1/215 Stockton (A) OAK Arlington, TX
P 30  Dylan Bundy R R 6-1/200 GCL Orioles (R) BAL Sperry, OK
P 31  Sonny Gray R R 5-11/180 Midland (AA) OAK 
P 32  Mike Montgomery L L 6-4/200 Omaha (AAA) KAN Valencia, CA
OF 33  George Springer R R 6-3/205 GCL Astros (R) HOU New Britain, CT
OF 34  Brett Jackson L R 6-2/210 Tennessee (AA) CHC Orinda, CA
OF 35  Oscar Taveras L L 6-2/180 Quad Cities (A) STL Dominican Republic
P 36  Trevor Bauer R R 6-2/185 Mobile (AA) ARI Valencia, CA
C 37  Christian Bethancourt R R 6-2/175 Lynchburg (A) ATL Panama
P 38  Archie Bradley R R 6-3/220 Missoula (R) ARI Broken Arrow, OK
1B 39  Jonathan Singleton L L 6-2/215 Lancaster (A) HOU Lakewood, CA
SS 40  Nick Franklin B R 6-1/175 Jackson (AA) SEA Longwood, FL
OF 41  Bubba Starling R R 6-5/190 AZL Royals (R) KAN 
SS 42  Xander Bogaerts R R 6-3/175 Greenville (A) BOS Aruba
C 43  Travis D'Arnaud R R 6-2/195 New Hampshire (AA) TOR Lakewood, CA
OF 44  Leonys Martin L R 6-1/180 Round Rock (AAA) TEX Cuba
OF 45  Anthony Gose L L 6-1/190 New Hampshire (AA) TOR Bellflower, CA
P 46  Wily Peralta R R 6-2/240 Nashville (AAA) MIL 
OF 47  Grant Green R R 6-3/180 Sacramento (AAA) OAK Anaheim Hills, CA
1B 48  Anthony Rizzo L L 6-3/220 Tuscon (AAA) SDG Parkland, FL
OF 49  Jake Marisnick R R 6-4/200 Lansing (A) TOR Riverside, CA
C 50  Gary Sanchez R R 6-2/205 Charleston (A) NYY
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:18:39 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »

Sources report Jorge Posada is gonna announce his retirement sometime in the next two weeks. I guess the HOF debate for him can start now.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »

Sources report Jorge Posada is gonna announce his retirement sometime in the next two weeks. I guess the HOF debate for him can start now.

I just saw that, good guy with a fine career.

A great Yankee?  For sure.

HOF'er? Probably not.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »

I'm thinking probably not too but he was a very good player for us over the years and a big part of several championships. I'm glad he's decided to retire. It wouldn't have been right to see him in any uniform besides a yankee uniform. He likely could've played elsewhere as a DH for a few years to pad his numbers to better his HOF chances, but this tells me his legacy as a yankee means more to him then the HOF.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:21:45 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Congrats to Barry Larkin on the HOF, well dererved. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: