Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:43:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 187441 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »

Interesting read. I am surprised by how high ranking some teams are considering how bad they've been for so long.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »

Interesting read. I am surprised by how high ranking some teams are considering how bad they've been for so long.

Indeed.

I don't get too caught up with the prospect rankings and (over)hype these days, seems like alot of organizations really fuel the propaganda fire to inflate value.

I go see the Cards AA affiliate play whenever they came through Tulsa, always enjoy watching the kids.

I'll never forget watching Rick Ankiel as an 18 year old, still by far the best pitching prospect I've ever witnessed in person. 

Had a chance to see Shelby Miller (the Cards prospect metioned above) late last year.  Had a great line that night, something like 9K's, 1BB and looked sharp - nothing like Ankiel though...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »

Alright guys, you all may have to talk me off the ledge.

The new Topps card just made the surreal all too, well...real.

http://www.whosay.com/darrenrovell/photos/120238

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »

Not me.

Because when you're terrible, you draft higher...which means, theoretically, you should get better prospects.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »

I'm surprised the news isn't here yet. Prince Fielder to the Tigers. 9 years $214 million. WOW.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »

Regarding Jorge Posada's HOF candidacy, i originally i was leaning towards no, but read this from espn. Posada is one of only five catchers all-time with 1,500 hits, 350 doubles, 275 homers and 1,000 RBIs; Johnny Bench, Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk and Ivan Rodriguez are the other four. Posada ends his career as the first catcher since Bench to play 17 consecutive seasons with the same team, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Of all the catchers in the Hall of Fame, only Yogi Berra has better numbers in all three major categories (average, homers and RBIs). Fisk, for example, had 376 homers, but his .269 average was worse than Posada's. There are currently 13 catchers in the Hall of Fame, with Mike Piazza on the ballot next year.

Knowing he stacks up that well against other HOF catchers. Its hard to make a case he doesn't belong for me. All the other 4 ahead of him will be in once Rodriguez retires and is eligible.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:26:48 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »

Regarding Jorge Posada's HOF candidacy, i originally i was leaning towards no, but read this from espn. Posada is one of only five catchers all-time with 1,500 hits, 350 doubles, 275 homers and 1,000 RBIs; Johnny Bench, Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk and Ivan Rodriguez are the other four. Posada ends his career as the first catcher since Bench to play 17 consecutive seasons with the same team, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Of all the catchers in the Hall of Fame, only Yogi Berra has better numbers in all three major categories (average, homers and RBIs). Fisk, for example, had 376 homers, but his .269 average was worse than Posada's. There are currently 13 catchers in the Hall of Fame, with Mike Piazza on the ballot next year.

Knowing his stacks up that well against other HOF catchers. Its hard to make a case he doesn't belong for me. All the other 4 ahead of him will be in once Rodriguez retires and is eligible.

I think there's no question that Posada is among the best-hitting catchers ever.  Defensively, maybe average at best, though for reasons I still don't understand, some Yankees did not like pitching to him. 

You would think that a guy who was one of the best hitters at his position would be a lock, but all the catchers I know who are in the HOF were also great defensively.  Piazza will be the first catcher that I know of who gets in on his bat alone (though he did call a good game).  I never understood how Carter, one of the best hitting and defensive catchers of his generation, had to wait so long to get in. 

I'd vote for him.  My guess is that he ultimately gets in, but they'll make him wait several years after eligibility.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »

I'm surprised the news isn't here yet. Prince Fielder to the Tigers. 9 years $214 million. WOW.

Boras does it again.  Apparently, they're moving Cabrera to 3rd. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »

Boras does it again.  Apparently, they're moving Cabrera to 3rd. 

That's what i heard as well. They sure filled the hole left by Martinez quite well with this signing.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »

Knowing his stacks up that well against other HOF catchers. Its hard to make a case he doesn't belong for me. All the other 4 ahead of him will be in once Rodriguez retires and is eligible.

I think there's no question that Posada is among the best-hitting catchers ever.  Defensively, maybe average at best, though for reasons I still don't understand, some Yankees did not like pitching to him. 

You would think that a guy who was one of the best hitters at his position would be a lock, but all the catchers I know who are in the HOF were also great defensively.  Piazza will be the first catcher that I know of who gets in on his bat alone (though he did call a good game).  I never understood how Carter, one of the best hitting and defensive catchers of his generation, had to wait so long to get in. 

I'd vote for him.  My guess is that he ultimately gets in, but they'll make him wait several years after eligibility.

I think his numbers provide him consideration but ultimately I don't think he'll make it.

He's his generation's Ted Simmons, unfortunately Ted played in the same era as Bench, Carter and Fisk.

The old "Hall of Very Good" guy personified for both..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:31:00 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:55 PM »

Did anyone see this one coming?

I sure as hell didn't.

This maybe the first time in baseball history a team's corner infielders combined weight is just south of 600 pounds.

Insert "They'll never hit their weight" joke here... Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »

I sure didn't see it coming either Falcon. I had heard the Nationals or Rangers. Nobody mentioned Detroit at all. It makes sense though, they needed a bat to replace Martinez.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »

I sure didn't see it coming either Falcon. I had heard the Nationals or Rangers. Nobody mentioned Detroit at all. It makes sense though, they needed a bat to replace Martinez.

Makes alot of sense for sure.

Mike Ilitch really stepped up and made it happen financially, saw the need and moved to quickly to close the deal.

A quick viewing reminder, MLB Network's Top 50 Prospects show airs tomorrow night at 9PM CST - it sounds like our teams of interest here are going to be very well represented.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »

Just read on ESPN.com that despite having retired Tony LaRussa will infact manage the NL All Stars in July. I'm glad he will be managing for the NL. He certainly deserves it.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »

Huge talent drain from the NL this year, losing its 2 best power hitters.  I hate the DH rule, but it's clearly attractive to the big guys who see it as a means to prolong their career.  That puts the NL at a huge disadvantage when it comes to keeping its talent.  I wonder if there comes a point when it bites the bullet and adopts the DH. 

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

Word is the leaders in the Roy Oswalt sweepstakes are the Rangers and Cardinals.  We all know how that goes though, surprise teams can sweep in at any moment.  The Red Sox have said to prefer Edwin Jackson, though I don't think I'd put myself in that camp.  He seems way too inconsistent for my liking.  I'd almost prefer they go the trade route at this point.  If not now, during the season.  Maybe there'll be better options then.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »

Word is the leaders in the Roy Oswalt sweepstakes are the Rangers and Cardinals.  We all know how that goes though, surprise teams can sweep in at any moment.  The Red Sox have said to prefer Edwin Jackson, though I don't think I'd put myself in that camp.  He seems way too inconsistent for my liking.  I'd almost prefer they go the trade route at this point.  If not now, during the season.  Maybe there'll be better options then.

I wouldn't mind seeing either Oswalt or Jackson in a Sox uniform, but I wouldn't overpay. I agree on Jackson. Good stuff, but inconsistent.
Not much to write home about with the Sox this offseason. Cody Ross doesn't classify as news as far as I'm concerned. One good postseason aside, that guys a slump away from playing with me on the Lynn Barbarian baseball team, haha. I guess they still look okay on paper. I don't see any overwhelming favorite in the East at this point. McDonald, Sweeney, Aviles/Punto are certainly not faces I want to see come opening day. I know a lot was made with the Yanks trade, but they gave up what looked like a sure thing in Montero for a possible frontline starter, no doubt, but he's young and an unknown. We will see how he fares when he pitches the first meaningful game in his young MLB career with fans in the stands. A trade I would make, but not a lock. Kuroda doesn't do anything for me, especially coming to the East. Solid moves though. Much more than the Sox can say. Plus I guess they need that DH spot for the old timers.

Lot of money for Fielder. That's one ugly infield they will be trotting out there, but could be the deadliest combo offensively in MLB for years to come. Tough break with Martinez going down.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:18:53 PM by LongGoneDay » Logged
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »

It seems to me that Oswalt's best days are behind him. That being said, someone will surely overpay for him.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »

Oswalt's likely headed to the Rangers, per Joe Strauss of the STL Post Dispatch.

Cards low balled him at 1 year at $5 million, Rangers have allegedly gone 2-3 mil more per with possible mutual option for second year.

He's made it clear he'd prefer the NL but I can't see him leaving that kinda cash on the table, way too much jack to pass up...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

Will the rangers even have a spot for him in the rotation? They have, Lewis, Darvish, Harrison, Feliz, Ogando and Holland, now Oswalt? Even if you put Ogando back into the pen that still leaves an odd man out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: