Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 185125 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »

2 different news items today:

1) Yanks and Pirates expect to present the AJ Burnett deal to the Commish's office today...looks like, unless MLB objects, Burnett is gone.  Yanks will pay about 20mill of the 33 mill (meaning the Pirates will pick up 13 mill) of his remaining salary.  Yanks will get a couple of A ball (maybe 1 A, 1 borderline AA) players.  I'm 100% OK with that, if it turns out to be true.  They'll likely use that money to sign both Ibanez AND Chavez..and might even have some left over.

2) Wakefield announced his retirement today...so looks like he will not be part of the Sox rotation (or bullpen) plans for next year.

Edit: And one more...

Okajima (who the Yanks signed to a minor league deal) failed his physical...nulling the deal.  Not a HUGE deal...but noteable.

The Pirates will send right-handed reliever Diego Moreno and outfielder Exicardo Cayones to New York in return, sources said. Moreno, a 25-year-old from Venezuela, has split the past two seasons between the Class A and Double-A minor league teams. Cayones, who is 20, spent 2011 in Class A.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »

Burnett deal is officially official.  He passed his physical and the league approved the deal.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »

Ibanez for 1.1 million....could be worth 4 with incentives.

That's cheap enough, if he doesn't perform...and worthwhile if he does.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »

Burnett deal is officially official.  He passed his physical and the league approved the deal.

Thank god! Good riddance.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »

Slugger Manny Ramirez told ESPN's Pedro Gomez that he has signed with the Athletics. According to ESPN, the contract is worth "about $500,000."

Ramirez, 39, will miss the first 50 games of the regular season, as he retired last season rather than serving a suspension for violating the league's drug policy as a member of the Rays. The incident was the second such infraction for Ramirez.

In his career, Ramirez has hit .312/.411/.585 with 555 homers and 1,831 runs batted in. He has played for the Indians, Red Sox, Dodgers, White Sox and Rays over the course of his career, winning the World Series with Boston in 2004 and 2007.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21178236/mannys-back-ramirez-join

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

The sad day all Yankee fans dread seems to be approaaching.

Mariano Rivera hints at retirement
By Andrew Marchand
ESPNNewYork.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Adding to a mystery that will last the whole season, 42-year-old Mariano Rivera arrived at spring training on Monday and said he knows if he will retire at the end of the season. However, he said he won't tell anyone.

"I know now," the New York Yankees closer said. "I just don't want to tell you. I know now. I will let you guys know when I think I should tell you."

Rivera broke the all-time saves record last year and is regarded by most as the greatest closer in the game's history. He will make $17 million this season in the first year of a two-year deal and said he would like to leave before his skills deteriorate.

"I don't want to be seen like that," Rivera said. "It is important for me to leave the game on top if God allows me to do that, just finish on top, knowing I did what I was called to do."

Rivera is still on top of his game. He had a 1.91 ERA and 44 saves last season. Rivera said that another great year wouldn't change his mind.

"Even if I save 90 games," he said. "If they want to pay this much money ... anything."

Rivera showed up a day later than when pitchers and catchers were due to report. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that since it was Rivera he could show up whenever he wanted to.

"We will see him at some point but the Mariano Watch, don't worry about it,'' Cashman had said on Sunday. "He knows what he needs to do. He'll get his eight innings in the spring, and that's all he needs. He really is amazing. You'll never see anything like that again.'"

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

If he is retiring, Rivera said he is uninterested in being honored at ballparks around the country. He said he probably will reveal his plans at the end of the season.

"I don't know," Rivera said. "I will tell you that in October, maybe."

Rivera looked the same as always at the first workouts Monday. He said he feels good.

"I'm like one of those Bunny things," Rivera said, referencing the Energizer Bunny. "I just love the game. I don't know guys. You guys are asking me too many questions already. I'm done with you guys."

During the session with a small group of reporters, Rivera said he didn't mention the term retirement. But he clearly has been thinking about it and made his decision a few weeks ago.

"It is hard when you have the ability to continue and you have to make that decision," Rivera said. "It is hard. For me, baseball is not everything.

"There are a lot of more things than baseball. I've been blessed. I've had a great career, but at the same time there are a lot of other things to do."

But one thing he won't be doing is hanging on too long.

"I won't be there dragging my arm to pitch," Rivera said. "I'm not going to start pitching with my left arm. I want to be able to compete."

After his playing days, Rivera said he'd be open to being a guest instructor.

"But not in the big leagues," he said. "Again, I think the minors, they really need people to give them time."

Andrew Marchand covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney and ESPNNewYork.com's Wallace Matthews was used in this report.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »

is it me or are things unusually quiet this year heading into spring training? just doesn't seem like there's many big story lines. maybe it's just because the big 3 made all their major moves in prior years and this year its just a matter of trying to meet those lofty expectations (since last year none made it to the series).

for the phillies, the top story lines are:
- Hamels entering his last year. i hope they find a way to get a deal done before or early in the season. he deseves it and i want to see him in philly for many years.
- Howard's injury. suppposedly he's doing as well as could be expected.
- Paplebon - i really hated this move. he's got a ton of pressure on him to get off to a good start. if he blows a couple saves early, the fans will turn on him quick.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »

OK, Question:

As has been reported ad nauseum, the Yanks are trying to trade AJ Burnett.

Apparently, they had a deal in place with the Angels (that would have brough Bobby Abreu back to NYC) but they're on AJ's no trade, and he rejected it.

The other most likely suitor is the Pirates.

Now, ignoring all the the personal factors (apparently his wife is afraid to fly...thus why there are a bunch of west coast teams on his no trade list), which situation do you all think would be better for him?  Not the Yanks, but for AJ.

Angels or Pirates?

better for him as far as  where he has more potential to put up better numbers? I still think that would be the Angels cause wouldn't he be their #5 SP? there may be les pressure there than going to a team that needs someone to carry them, or at least be a significant difference maker.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »

better for him as far as  where he has more potential to put up better numbers? I still think that would be the Angels cause wouldn't he be their #5 SP? there may be les pressure there than going to a team that needs someone to carry them, or at least be a significant difference maker.

Yeah, better for him professionally (which, you'd think, would mean putting up better #'s.

And I agree with you.

You have a better offense (so, you'd assume, better run support), less pressure, and a TON of games against the A's and Mariners (who both have anemic line ups).

Incidentally, I also agree it's been kind of quiet lately.  The most interesting things going on are Manny's sort of/kind of playing for the A's (eventually) and the Burnett trade (and his subsequent comments... Roll Eyes  )

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »

Yanks just signed Burt Reynolds....

...and I'm afraid to go look to see a picture.  Because I KNOW it's not THE Burt Reynolds....and I'm happier just picturing that it is.  Smokey and the Bandit era Burt, if anyone cares.  I fucking dare Vincente Padilla to throw at HIS head!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:50:47 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

Maybe Burt Reynold's can wear "Yankee Cologne"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfM1T95HQjg&feature=player_embedded

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »

Was very surprised to see this headline:

NL MVP Ryan Braun wins drug appeal

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuOBiL17iPwMzydKleN96CI5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_ryan_braun_wins_drug_appeal_022312
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »

I was shocked as well, got off on a technicality and MLB is flat out pissed.

I like the guy, a great player and seems like a cool cat.

But...

Winning an appeal and being innocent are 2 totally different animals, the "chain of custody" thing got him off the hook.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

Do you think he's guilty, Falcon?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »

Do you think he's guilty, Falcon?

Absolutely.

And yourself?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:09 PM »

Yeah, i think so as well. It just seems impossible his testosterone level could magically jump that high for no reason. I wonder if there is anything MLB can do under the CBA to appeal this or something?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:07:20 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:38 AM »

I don't think there's anything MLB can do under the CBA, it's pretty much case closed.

There's a great article here http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/was-there-really-a-violation-of-chain-of-custody-protocol-in-the-ryan-braun-ped-case/ questioning the decision complete with links to the joint drug agreement between Major League Baseball and its Players Association.

Take a look, interesting stuff.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

I don't think there's anything MLB can do under the CBA, it's pretty much case closed.

There's a great article here http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/was-there-really-a-violation-of-chain-of-custody-protocol-in-the-ryan-braun-ped-case/ questioning the decision complete with links to the joint drug agreement between Major League Baseball and its Players Association.

I would love to see a copy of the decision, but I guess that's under seal.  I would have to imagine that the 3rd arbitrator had some basis for determining there was a chain of custody violation.  Maybe the guy who had the urine in his fridge ( puke ) over the weekend lives with 5 slobs, one of whom may have gotten up in the middle of the night for a 3 a.m. meal and then left the fridge door open. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »

I would love to see a copy of the decision, but I guess that's under seal.

The arbitrator has to release a written report within 30 days of the decision so we will see how he came to his judgement.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

So a couple of details that I've heard on the radio/TV this morning.:

It was NOT in a fridge.  It was in a tupperware container on a desk, in a locked room in his basement, in this guys home.

The courier said it was stored properly, given his training (cool does not mean cold, etc).  He insisted that no one could have had access to the sample, though there were times he was not at home during his possession of the sample.

Supposedly, the team repping Braun was able to demonstrate, "scientifically" (quoted not for sarcasm, but because that's the word that was used in the report) how improper storage COULD elevate testosterone levels.

Supposedly, the testosterone levels found were high in carbon-13 (which, traditionally, but not conclusively, is found in synthetic hormone rather than naturally occurring hormones).

Personally...I think he did it, and is getting off on a technicality.  It's like being found not guilty...rather than being proven innocent.  The verdict and outcome might be the same...but the circumstances are not.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:11:51 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: