Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses @ The Fillmore - Detroit, MI - Feb 21
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses @ The Fillmore - Detroit, MI - Feb 21  (Read 34787 times)
greenhorn1
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

Here's my random thoughts in case anyone cares.

1.  SOMEDAY I will learn that it's not worth it (at least at my age) to be right up front at these shows but being that close to the band was pretty awesome.  The sound just isn't as good as I'm sure it was 20 feet back or more.  It actually was pretty decent for as close as I was but I imagine it probably sounded amazing at other places in the venue. 

2.  I was predisposed to not liking DJ based on his continual douchey pandering to the crowd for applause (and taking over for finck who I think is one of the most interesting guitarists alive) BUT I will admit that he played well and had energy and wasn't really a negative for me like I thought he would be (I just tended not to look at him).

3.  I really hope the girl who passed out right up front during patience is ok.  She was completely unresponsive when the medics carried her out.

4.  Jesus there are a lot of assholes out there.  Most of the people who were up front the whole time seemed pretty cool but it was a pretty constant barrage of people trying to squeeze up front with some lying sad sack of shit excuse for why they should be up there instead of the people who had been standing there for 4 hours straight. 

4b.  FUCK YOU to the asshole who thought he needed to get up on stage and was SCREAMING next to me for a few songs.  It's one thing to sing along even if you can't sing, but outright just screaming at the top of your lungs....yeah, that's what I paid $100 to hear. 

5.  Axl made a comment about people being worried about the show after his twitter post (re. him being sick) and said something like you just have to give it your all....this was after they had been playing for over 2.5 hours straight!  Honestly, I never would have even thought he was sick if I hadn't read his post.  He did a great job and yeah it was probably one of the happiest shows I have seen him.  Made several funny detroit references and commented about the crowd's energy.

6.  Overall a great show, amazing 3 hour set, band and axl sounded great (seemed like axl's voice was slightly giving out towards the end but damn who's wouldn't be after 3 hours). 
rendestroi95
Rocker

You Know Where You Are?? No?? Okay :(

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »

it's happening
miggy316
Opening Act

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »

Finally got approved to post, but looks like everyone already hit the highpoints.  Just to add on, show was Epic.

The abrupt end to November Rain was odd, but at least it wasn't due to some problem like in 2006 at the Palace show.  Back then there was a major screwup during Patience and Axl spiked the mic and stormed off ending the show early, so we missed at least Paradise City during that show.  Me and my buddy are pretty sure he flubbed the exact same line during Patience last night as well, but as everyone said, he was in such a great mood he didn't let it bother him.

One other interaction no one has mentioned, during one of the times people were crowd surfing, Axl was standing up on the monitors and the crowd was motioning to him to jump.  He laughed and said, paraphrasing, "no I did that once in St. Louis and it cost me a lot of money. I learned  my lesson, there was a trial and everything!  a big fat woman on the jury said I just looked like I had a bad attitude so I must be guilty and should know better.  so since then, I've learned my lesson."   it was pretty funny.

the review posted from the Detroit news above is pretty spot on.  THere were a few songs where his voice was just gone and you felt like maybe the illness had finally caughten up with him but then the next song he would hit it out of the park.  he's definitley a warrior.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »

Axl has flubbed a line or 2 at the last 2 shows I saw and you can always see him smile it off to himself.  He probably felt like total hell last night and went up there and gave it his all for the fans, well, God bless the man.  I am just continually impressed over and over again lately by this band, their stamina, and how far things have come. peace
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »

Finally got approved to post, but looks like everyone already hit the highpoints.  Just to add on, show was Epic.

The abrupt end to November Rain was odd, but at least it wasn't due to some problem like in 2006 at the Palace show.  Back then there was a major screwup during Patience and Axl spiked the mic and stormed off ending the show early, so we missed at least Paradise City during that show.  Me and my buddy are pretty sure he flubbed the exact same line during Patience last night as well, but as everyone said, he was in such a great mood he didn't let it bother him.

One other interaction no one has mentioned, during one of the times people were crowd surfing, Axl was standing up on the monitors and the crowd was motioning to him to jump.  He laughed and said, paraphrasing, "no I did that once in St. Louis and it cost me a lot of money. I learned  my lesson, there was a trial and everything!  a big fat woman on the jury said I just looked like I had a bad attitude so I must be guilty and should know better.  so since then, I've learned my lesson."   it was pretty funny.

the review posted from the Detroit news above is pretty spot on.  THere were a few songs where his voice was just gone and you felt like maybe the illness had finally caughten up with him but then the next song he would hit it out of the park.  he's definitley a warrior.

TOTALLY forgot about the crowd surfing story!!! Thanks for the reminder!  hihi

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Thinizzy
Headliner

"I'm everywhere Focker"- Robert DeNiro

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »

Here's my random thoughts in case anyone cares.

1.  SOMEDAY I will learn that it's not worth it (at least at my age) to be right up front at these shows but being that close to the band was pretty awesome.  The sound just isn't as good as I'm sure it was 20 feet back or more.  It actually was pretty decent for as close as I was but I imagine it probably sounded amazing at other places in the venue. 

2.  I was predisposed to not liking DJ based on his continual douchey pandering to the crowd for applause (and taking over for finck who I think is one of the most interesting guitarists alive) BUT I will admit that he played well and had energy and wasn't really a negative for me like I thought he would be (I just tended not to look at him).

3.  I really hope the girl who passed out right up front during patience is ok.  She was completely unresponsive when the medics carried her out.

4.  Jesus there are a lot of assholes out there.  Most of the people who were up front the whole time seemed pretty cool but it was a pretty constant barrage of people trying to squeeze up front with some lying sad sack of shit excuse for why they should be up there instead of the people who had been standing there for 4 hours straight. 

4b.  FUCK YOU to the asshole who thought he needed to get up on stage and was SCREAMING next to me for a few songs.  It's one thing to sing along even if you can't sing, but outright just screaming at the top of your lungs....yeah, that's what I paid $100 to hear. 

5.  Axl made a comment about people being worried about the show after his twitter post (re. him being sick) and said something like you just have to give it your all....this was after they had been playing for over 2.5 hours straight!  Honestly, I never would have even thought he was sick if I hadn't read his post.  He did a great job and yeah it was probably one of the happiest shows I have seen him.  Made several funny detroit references and commented about the crowd's energy.

6.  Overall a great show, amazing 3 hour set, band and axl sounded great (seemed like axl's voice was slightly giving out towards the end but damn who's wouldn't be after 3 hours). 

I was in the 2nd row in the upper level and i had a good view of that woman and she was dead weight flopping around. hope she turned out ok! Im surprised some of the crowd surfers didnt get hurt, a couple of the girls were dropped twice! There was no doubt he was sick though, a couple times running back to the room at the back of the stage he was covering his mouth coughing. He also had tissues by chris and seen him blow his nose a couple times, with all this they still kicked ass!

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still serve a purpose." -Jim Carrey
Annie
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »

I hope that girl is OK as well. I was body passed up the bleachers at a UW football game In Madison, WI many years ago in the infamous section P. It was strangely exciting, but I was very sore the next day!

This show sounds great! i am glad that everybody had such a great time!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »

Excellent review on WRIF (our local rock station)'s website:

http://www.wrif.com/suzycolerocknews/story.aspx?ID=1658813

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
santiago-gnr
Rocker

Bucher

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »

Excellent review on WRIF (our local rock station)'s website:

http://www.wrif.com/suzycolerocknews/story.aspx?ID=1658813

beer

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Welcome To The Jungle
3. It's So Easy
4. Mr. Brownstone
5. Sorry
6. You're Crazy
7. Estranged
8. Rocket Queen
9. Guitar solo #1: Richard Fortus (James Bond Theme)
10. Live And Let Die
11. Instrumental Jam
12. This I Love
13. Motivation (Tommy Stinson sings this one)
14. Dizzy Reed Piano solo (Baba O' Riley)
15. Street Of Dreams
16. You Could Be Mine
17. Guitar solo #2: DJ Ashba
18. Sweet Child O' Mine
19. Used To Love Her
20. Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)
21. Axl Rose Piano Solo (Gran Torino/Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Someone Saved My Life Tonight)
22. November Rain
23. Guitar Solo #3: Bumblefoot (Pink Panther Theme)
24. Don't Cry
25. Civil War
26. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
27. Nightrain
ENCORE:
28. Instrumental jam
29. Madagascar
30. Better
31. Patience
32. Paradise City
AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Dexter was not the Intro last night.  The guy beside me said the song was from an HBO show called Luck with Dustin Hoffman.

In AC they should use the "Boardwalk Empire" theme to open!  beer

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
AxlCorey
Opening Act

Ba ba booey

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »

This was my fifth time seeing guns since 2000.  Twice in Chicago, once in Detroit and Cleveland prior to last night.  Each of those shows had great moments and memories but what I saw at the Fillmore was phenomenal from start to finish. 

Early in the day I saw the 'sick as a dogg' tweet, so to say I was on edge is a bit of an understatement.  If this is how Axl performs sick, he should be sick more often.  The energy, enthusiasm and connection with the audience was more so than in the four previous performances I had seen combined. 

When we arrived we parked across the street at Comerica Park and immediately saw a massive line still being ushered in.  We quickly made the decision to go down some 'cheap' beer at the State Bar next door considering we knew Guns wouldn't be hitting the stage until 11ish at best.  We got into the Fillmore right before Sponge took the stage.  I think they performed four songs, all of which I recognized (90's nostalgia).  The frontman had good stage presence and was up to the task of warming up the crowd. 

Guns hit the stage at about 11:30 and raged through the first hour of material with Axl hitting on all cylinders.  His voice was amazing, and was mistakenly something I had worried about reading reviews of the HOB show.  The next hour was a mix of solo intro's, Axl banter, crowd surfing and more bombastic delivery of new and old staples.  I got to hear Civil War, Estranged, Used to Love Her and You're Crazy for the first time...really couldn't have asked for more out of a set list.

Some of the solos did drag a bit with Fortus being featured more than I remember from past shows.  I don't mind the solos but they should be cut in half at the least.  By the final hour it seemed as though either Axl's voice was tiring or the sound mix was a bit off as low register bits were very hard to hear.  This really didn't take away from the overall energy though as the boys finished strong.

It was a tough day at work with a little under 4 hours of sleep last night but it was well worth it!  I can't reiterate enough how impressive that show was.  I've seen many, many concerts and the top spot was is no longer in question.  'Nu' Guns N' F'N Roses!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:45:28 PM by AxlCorey » Logged
hunter80
Headliner

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »

Wow!! I am back home in Portland and still recovering. I won't add on to the reviews too much as everyone hit the nail on the head already. This is by far the best GNR show I have attended hands down. Every member was spot on and tight!! It was also super cool to meet a few forum members too. Thanks for incredible night!!!

11/8/02, 11/10/06, 11/11/06, 11/2/11, 12/13/11, 12/16/11, 12/27/11, 2/21/12, 11/3/12, 11/17/12, 11/24/12, 5/24/14, 5/25/14, 5/30/14, 5/31/14, 6/7/14, 4/9/16, 8/15/16, 11/17/17
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

I just posted this to Live Nations site for my review:

Astounding. That's about the best word to describe this show. I've seen over 500 concerts in my time, having seen Guns N' Roses several times through the years dating all the way back to 1991. This was bar none, hands down, the BEST live performance I've ever seen by a rock group. Earlier in the day Axl Rose tweeted that he was "sick as a dog" so many of us were worried the show would be called off. Not only was the show not called off, but Axl was in rare form. You could see him blowing his nose in between songs as well as coughing into his sleeve but none of that stopped him from feeding off the crowd and giving the performance of a lifetime. GN'R played for right about 3 hours including solos from each guitarist (Ron Thal, Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba) and one keyboard player (Dizzy Reed). The crowd was completely into the show the entire night, never once getting board. Axl took time to mention that the crowd was amazing more than a few times. If you're on the fence about seeing Guns N' Roses because of anything from the past (attitudes, former members, even riots) please take a chance and see them live. They're usually "good to great" in my opinion, but from what I witnessed on Tuesday, they are in rare, rare form these days and should not be missed by anyone who loves music or live performance.

inkblot66
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »

I have some pics the board would be interested in checking out.
I have a open flickr account.
How do I get the pics to actually show up on this board? (I.E. not just post a link)
torif24
Opening Act

« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »

Dexter was not the Intro last night.  The guy beside me said the song was from an HBO show called Luck with Dustin Hoffman.

Its a new show.

Must be it then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67X-m8W9pXs

The opening theme to Luck is "Splitting the Atom" feat. Horace Andy by Massive Attack.

11-08-2011 Omaha, NE
11-09-2011 Norman, OK
11-12-2011 Kansas City, MO
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

Massive Attack as intro music? Nice choice!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »

Photos: Guns N? Roses @ The Fillmore

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/slideshows/photos/105/guns-and-roses-at-Fillmore-Silver-Spring-photos-erica-bruce/1

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »

Wrong Fillmore lol. Those pics are from a few nights later than Detroit.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:36 PM »

I see that now, thanks for pointing it out.  Too many Fillmores.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: