Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:51:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  March 12th, West Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues (UpDates).
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 12th, West Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues (UpDates).  (Read 80242 times)
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »

I liked robin when he was in the band and was sad to see him leave. With that said, I never heard of DJ per guns and I am a huge fan. His presence in the band has ignited something we haven't seen since the AFD days. Everything guns is today is in large part due to the energy he brings the band members I.e. successful tours, 3+ hour shows, UCAP shows, potential new music on the horizon, web sites, band communication etc . . .  These are the best GNR years w e have had since the ILLUSION tours, maybe even better. 

Don't get me wrong, they all have a huge part in the above, but I truly think that DJ has sparked something in this band and that spark could lead to them being relevant in the industry again.

None of the above means that I do not like Robin or any previous band member - they have all added great things to the band but this just happens to be a different chapter.

Rock on and quit the bitching'

Wake up. . . .time to die
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »

Goddamn!  Awesome shit...glad to hear they played Dead Flowers again.  Hmm, I didn't notice a change in lyrics from how Axl sang the tune back in the '90's.  Yeah, it sounds like he sings chase instead of take at HOB.  Still sounded damn cool to me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:18:22 PM by Axl4Prez2004 » Logged

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
NicoleMarieB25
Opening Act

I try and feel the sunshine

« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »

I liked robin when he was in the band and was sad to see him leave. With that said, I never heard of DJ per guns and I am a huge fan. His presence in the band has ignited something we haven't seen since the AFD days. Everything guns is today is in large part due to the energy he brings the band members I.e. successful tours, 3+ hour shows, UCAP shows, potential new music on the horizon, web sites, band communication etc . . .  These are the best GNR years w e have had since the ILLUSION tours, maybe even better. 

Don't get me wrong, they all have a huge part in the above, but I truly think that DJ has sparked something in this band and that spark could lead to them being relevant in the industry again.

None of the above means that I do not like Robin or any previous band member - they have all added great things to the band but this just happens to be a different chapter.

Rock on and quit the bitching'

I agree with this 100%!  I feel like Guns has been re-awakened since DJ joined and they have made a lot of progress in improving some of the negative public perception of them from the past (with the general public and casual fans).  I have also read a few interviews with current band members that say this group has amazing chemistry and they refer to DJ as being a factor in that.  He is not Slash.  He is not Buckethead.  He is not Robin.  He is DJ Ashba.  Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and musical preferences.  I think the key is remaining positive about this current lineup, and accepting the direction Axl has chosen to go with the band.  

I enjoyed watching the video of Robin joining them for Better.  To be fair, it is Robin's song...it only seems logical it will sound more like the original CD version than DJ playing it in concert.  Don't hold it against DJ.  Until he has the opportunity to get into the studio with the band, the truth is he is playing material written by others, that's not his fault.  I do not believe anything he has a hand in recording with Guns will sound like Motley Crue.  He's worked with a lot of different artists....I don't think his collaborations with Neil Diamond sound anything at all like his work with Crue.  Also, he formed Ashba Media back in 2003 I believe.  He needs more of a creative outlet than just music alone, I don't think that is a bad thing.  He's excited about the future of his design company as well as his music.  

It's great that former members can join them band, like they did at this show.  But the gossip that ensues from something like that HAS to make Axl slightly worried about any potential collaboration with the original lineup for exactly that reason.  

We should respect all members' contributions (past and present), and continue to be excited and open-minded about the direction of the current band.  Yes, we all have our favorites.  We can agree to disagree, as long as we are respectful and positive about the future!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is here...

Robin AND Ashba are both members of GN'R presently (according to Axl). Robin has done his live duties, and more than enough of his album contributions and has now decided to not tour with the band. DJ is currently playing live with GN'R, and no doubt he'll be contributing to future albums as well.

Some people including myself, prefer Robin as a performer and as an individual over DJ. Does that mean we hate current GN'R, and put the band down at every given opportunity, no it doesn't. The reason why these discussions have started is because Robin made a special appearence with GN'R, and it's only natural for this type of talk to start.  Shocked

I'd like to state again, that all of these fans who are sticking up for Robin, and are stating they would rather him be in Guns rather than DJ, are not haters. I don't see any other "Robin" fans, put the current band down on a daily basis, we SUPPORT the current line-up.

Same thing with Brain and Frank........people who love both drummers, but would prefer Brain in the band because of his history with GN'R. And all of his work on CD, and his 01/02 amazing shows with GN'R. Are those people also against current GN'R, because they have an opinion that Brain was a better drummer all round............of course not.  Tongue

I'm not at all pressing this for attention..... But people supporting Robin, and who favour him in GN'R over DJ, CANNOT be put in the same category as reunionists. We support the current band, but that doesn't mean that it's "hating" on the current band when you state that you simpy prefered a guitarist who spent 11 years with GN'R, and who went through the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in those Chinese Democracy sessions........and someone who did all he could for GN'R.

Robin is no way, shape or form presently a member of the band.  He has been out of the band for four years now.  No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Ali
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »

my photos from the show http://tony-trujillo.com/p9096129
ben9785
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2012, 08:50:10 PM »

I was surprised and extremely pleased to see Robin rejoining the band. I never thought it would be possible for him to reappear with the band onstage. I appreciate that they are all on good terms, and how happy Axl was to have him there.

I agree with Mysteron and One.In.A.Million's comments. I've made my points known about Ashba, I prefer Robin for his musical technique and style. Unfortunately I don't have any affinity with Ashba at all, but there's nothing I can do about it. He's there, and that's that.

Annie
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »

Two comments.

The re-appearance of Brain and Robin shows, again, the respect Axl has for previous band members. If you were believe everything ever said about Axl, then you would assume that nothing like this could ever be possible.

Secondly, Guns are an epic band, they have epic albums, their concerts are epic, and the making of albums is also an epic process. I know the latter has been a thorn for most GN'R fans, but I think it's been interesting in some ways. AFD represented the band members at that time, UYI was a jumble, to me it represented the shift in tide at the time, and in it's own way is a classic. CD is Guns with a Brain, Robin and Buckethead influence, and the next album will represent the new line-up. I think once the whole journey is over, people will forget about all the nonsense that has been attributed to GN'R during the journey and will appreciate the albums for what they are, and the era that they represent.
That was quite brilliant.
Annie
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »

Robins unpredictability is part of what makes him so epic.

Lets be honest. Robin is and always will be Axl's first choice.

DJ is nothing more than the audiance participation guy as far as I can tell. Seems he only wants the GNR gig so he can sell more AshbaSWAG and promote himself. I don't like his image, his attitude and his whole get-up. His playing is good but, on a stage with Ron and 4tus it just doesn't cut it. And I really am not interested in listening to songs he wrote for GNR...we don't need a Motley Cure or Sixx AM sounding album.

I love the current lineup. Seen em' 6 times and loved every second of it. But Robin is GNR and always will be.

Totally agree!!  smoking

I have to say that my thought process is not too far from this...

It's all down to personal taste at the end of the day, and the fact is no matter how you want to dress it up. You are not going to favour one guitarist over another, purely because they are now in a band called Guns N' Roses and your favourite isn't. I've always loved Robins style and he was the reason why I fell in love with the Chinese Democracy era of GN'R.

What makes Robin more attractive to me is the fact that he is his own person, and he is a true individual......a true artist. I have come to like DJ alot, but everything he stands for is just not to my taste personally. He reminds me too much of a "Motley Crue" type of artist, and that's not surprising seeing as he is close friends with all those guys, and will naturally strive to be like them.

I prefer Robins songwriting and overall personality and vibe, and I'm not taking shots at Ashba here.......just my opinion. Like it or not, but another reason why I consider Robin as a true artist and my favourite, is because while he was in GN'R, he never once promoted anything to do with himself. But he gave his all for GN'R, while DJ has a clothing line, media company and he obviously tries to mention them every opportunity he gets, even on the guitar rig video(s)......again not taking a dig, but it's a fact.  Smiley

I'm not going to choose DJ over Robin based soley on the fact that one is in GN'R currently, and one isn't.....

I actually think that DJ has improved alot since joining GN'R and has become a fan favourite, but at the end of the day, I will always love Robin Finck.....and obviously I would want Robin back in Guns N' Roses.

I love all era's of Guns N' Roses, and I'm going to be doing alot of travelling this summer following the band. BUT that doesn't stop you favouring a member who you truely love, and feel alot of affection for, simply because they are not "currently" in a band called GN'R.

GN'R is much more than a name, what makes it great is everyones contributions.......and it's human nature to have favourites.  Cheesy
I love everyone's comments here. Maybe GUNSNROSES Cirque du Soleil could possibly happen! I remember how you said that Robin had alot of connections to them.
MNGS717
Rocker

« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »

Awesome hihi

"I noticed a rather, a rather interesting, a rather interesting smell"
"??like a contact high"
"You know, they never talk about the virtues of second hand smoke"

12/6/02 Philly
11/20/11 Wilkes-Barre,PA
2/23/12 Silver Spring, MD
5/13/14 Bethlehem,PA
6/26/16 Landover,Md
7/14/16 Philly
8/13/17 Hershey
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »

Fucking AWESOME video! I bet this was a sick show!!!
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »

Fucking AWESOME video! I bet this was a sick show!!!

I love the guy screaming when he saw Robin hihi fucking great stuff
uzi suicide records
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is here...    wich is the same as i do not prefer ron, but you all jumped down my throat, when all i said was i dont prefer ron wich was the very first comment i made, it never meant i did not support the lineup, then assholes kept making references to playing to buckethead standards, wich is where im like dude were talkin about slash standards, see its one thing to support the current lineup, but we all know where the music came from and why people go out to shows, so i totally understand if theres something you dont prefer, i personally dont prefer ron, i dont think he's right for the group, doesnt fit to me, just to me and thats how ill always see it wether i argue here or not, but its wrong to not respect ones opinion, thats why were all here to share thoughts, pics info, about the band we love

Robin AND Ashba are both members of GN'R presently (according to Axl). Robin has done his live duties, and more than enough of his album contributions and has now decided to not tour with the band. DJ is currently playing live with GN'R, and no doubt he'll be contributing to future albums as well.

Some people including myself, prefer Robin as a performer and as an individual over DJ. Does that mean we hate current GN'R, and put the band down at every given opportunity, no it doesn't. The reason why these discussions have started is because Robin made a special appearence with GN'R, and it's only natural for this type of talk to start.  Shocked

I'd like to state again, that all of these fans who are sticking up for Robin, and are stating they would rather him be in Guns rather than DJ, are not haters. I don't see any other "Robin" fans, put the current band down on a daily basis, we SUPPORT the current line-up.

Same thing with Brain and Frank........people who love both drummers, but would prefer Brain in the band because of his history with GN'R. And all of his work on CD, and his 01/02 amazing shows with GN'R. Are those people also against current GN'R, because they have an opinion that Brain was a better drummer all round............of course not.  Tongue

I'm not at all pressing this for attention..... But people supporting Robin, and who favour him in GN'R over DJ, CANNOT be put in the same category as reunionists. We support the current band, but that doesn't mean that it's "hating" on the current band when you state that you simpy prefered a guitarist who spent 11 years with GN'R, and who went through the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in those Chinese Democracy sessions........and someone who did all he could for GN'R.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »

my photos from the show http://tony-trujillo.com/p9096129

Great pictures  Cheesy

I could sit here all night and listen to Dead Flowers and Mama Kin.  Fucking amazing.  Grin

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
uzi suicide records
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is here... my guess is youll never see robin in gnr again though

fTw777
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »

In my opinion if you're a huge fan of Robin just focus on the fact that it was a cool moment that really has nothing to do with who replaced who in the band or who's the better guitarist arguments. Personally I liked Robin in the band and I like DJ in the band currently and don't feel the need to compare them or pick a favorite everytime one of their names is mentioned.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »

Ok can I just add something here for the people saying DJ sucks and his contributions will be 'Motley" style?

I don't like Motley Crue at all but I have to admit Saints of Los Angeles was one of their better albums...and guess what? DJ was a writer for most of the songs. Now imagine his writting with Axl's and everyone else's influence?  ok

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

What's your problem with me saying as I see it?

A bunch of you were quiet until Robin joined the band for one song and you start bashing Dj.

I never liked Robin in GNR, but I really REALLY don't like DJ.  It comes off like he is more concerned about how the crowd reacts to him than with playing the actual music.  So like any political election, you have to decide between the lesser of two evils, and Robin is definitely the lesser of the two evils for me. 
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

This is a weird discussion, since most people were completely down on Finck during his time in Guns. To be fair, he wasn't always the tightest on some of the solo sections, and from a guitar player's perspective Ashba is a much better technician (or better rehearsed, at the very least). For those saying that he is trying to get more of a crowd reaction than actually playing the songs, maybe you'd prefer that he stand in one place and look down at his guitar for the entire show. Rock music is entertainment. Lastly, Axl's not going to release an album that sounds like Motley Crue - that's one of dumber suggestions I've seen in this thread.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »

Does anyone see a decent video of My Michelle? Sad

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »

For those saying that he is trying to get more of a crowd reaction than actually playing the songs, maybe you'd prefer that he stand in one place and look down at his guitar for the entire show. Rock music is entertainment.

LOL, way to go to the extreme.  I am at peace with the rest of the current band, they play their faces off and seem to genuinely enjoy doing it which I appreciate.  I think DJ is a showman first, musician second.  If crowd interaction is important to you, then by all means DJ Ashba is your man.  I won't disagree that DJ handles the spotlight better than anyone else in the band not named Axl, in fact I think he loves it.  But I would be shocked if anyone told me he wasn't an only child.  He acts like he needs people to pay attention to him at all times. 

Keep in mind I avoided reading all setlists and watching videos of the DJ Ashba GNR until I finally saw them at the Izod Center in 2011.  That first time I saw him I was just so annoyed with him.  After a few songs all I kept saying to myself was "just play the damn song!". 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: