Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  March 12th, West Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues (UpDates).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 12th, West Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues (UpDates).  (Read 80215 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »

For those saying that he is trying to get more of a crowd reaction than actually playing the songs, maybe you'd prefer that he stand in one place and look down at his guitar for the entire show. Rock music is entertainment.

LOL, way to go to the extreme.  I am at peace with the rest of the current band, they play their faces off and seem to genuinely enjoy doing it which I appreciate.  I think DJ is a showman first, musician second.  If crowd interaction is important to you, then by all means DJ Ashba is your man.  I won't disagree that DJ handles the spotlight better than anyone else in the band not named Axl, in fact I think he loves it.  But I would be shocked if anyone told me he wasn't an only child.  He acts like he needs people to pay attention to him at all times. 

Keep in mind I avoided reading all setlists and watching videos of the DJ Ashba GNR until I finally saw them at the Izod Center in 2011.  That first time I saw him I was just so annoyed with him.  After a few songs all I kept saying to myself was "just play the damn song!". 

I think that's an exaggeration or distortion of how DJ is on stage.  He plays the songs, and plays the lead guitar parts well.  He interacts with the crowd a great deal, but that's part of being a live performer.  Drawing conclusions about his personality from his stage presence is a bit extreme.  Axl works the crowd a great deal, the entire stage in fact, but you barely hear anything about him when GN'R is not active, so you can't claim he needs attention.  I've known so many singers who love to perform and interact with a crowd, but are immensely shy and introverted off stage.  The two don't go hand in hand necessarily.

Ali
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:12:28 PM by Ali » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »

Fucking AWESOME video! I bet this was a sick show!!!

I love the guy screaming when he saw Robin hihi fucking great stuff
I would've acted the same way.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »

I just want to ask an admin if they could possibily delete both of Uzi Suicide Records' posts on the previous page. He has tried to quote me, and somehow wrote his message right in the middle of my quote, so it's totally messed up, and it looks like I've said what he wanted to say in his post.

Totally messed his posts up twice...

Would be totally greatful if a Moderator or Admin could do that.  Smiley

Thanks...
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #223 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

For those saying that he is trying to get more of a crowd reaction than actually playing the songs, maybe you'd prefer that he stand in one place and look down at his guitar for the entire show. Rock music is entertainment.

LOL, way to go to the extreme.  I am at peace with the rest of the current band, they play their faces off and seem to genuinely enjoy doing it which I appreciate.  I think DJ is a showman first, musician second.  If crowd interaction is important to you, then by all means DJ Ashba is your man.  I won't disagree that DJ handles the spotlight better than anyone else in the band not named Axl, in fact I think he loves it.  But I would be shocked if anyone told me he wasn't an only child.  He acts like he needs people to pay attention to him at all times. 

Keep in mind I avoided reading all setlists and watching videos of the DJ Ashba GNR until I finally saw them at the Izod Center in 2011.  That first time I saw him I was just so annoyed with him.  After a few songs all I kept saying to myself was "just play the damn song!". 

Don't have to be a sour puss in life  smoking
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:52:03 PM by volcano62 » Logged

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #224 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

I think DJ is a showman first, musician second.  

Didn't he get his start in the business as a songwriter and producer? Not a lot of opportunities for showmanship in the control room. He's still tighter on most of the older Guns stuff than Finck was, and actually has some chops up his sleeve, per his playing on the Beautiful Creatures album. I think you're making a pretty superficial assessment of his abilities, especially compared to a guy whose main claim to fame is playing in Trent Reznor's live band and some sloppy renditions of solos written by another guitar player.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »

Didn't he get his start in the business as a songwriter and producer? Not a lot of opportunities for showmanship in the control room. He's still tighter on most of the older Guns stuff than Finck was, and actually has some chops up his sleeve, per his playing on the Beautiful Creatures album. I think you're making a pretty superficial assessment of his abilities, especially compared to a guy whose main claim to fame is playing in Trent Reznor's live band and some sloppy renditions of solos written by another guitar player.

Roll Eyes I mentioned earlier that I liked Robin in NIN and not GNR, but I like Robin more than DJ.  And when you are looking to break into showbiz you will take any gig you can get.  Because he started out as something where he didn't face the crowd every night is not some earth-shattering discovery. 
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »

I think that's an exaggeration or distortion of how DJ is on stage.  He plays the songs, and plays the lead guitar parts well.  He interacts with the crowd a great deal, but that's part of being a live performer.  Drawing conclusions about his personality from his stage presence is a bit extreme.  Axl works the crowd a great deal, the entire stage in fact, but you barely hear anything about him when GN'R is not active, so you can't claim he needs attention.  I've known so many singers who love to perform and interact with a crowd, but are immensely shy and introverted off stage.  The two don't go hand in hand necessarily.

Ali

That's fair Ali, but I think his onstage antics overshadow his talents.  He is more annoying to me than anything else.  If some people like him, that's cool, but he just bothers the hell out of me.  A little crowd interaction/participation is fine with me (like what Ron does), but DJ makes sure people are paying attention to him. 
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #227 on: March 15, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »

DJ is a showman and a business man first and formost in my view, and if you dig that, then that's fine nothing wrong with that. You've got his clothing line, guitar line, guitars that look Tim Burton-esque, his guitar apps, tuner, guitar mini replicas etc....(I could go on).  hihi

That's what I think alot of people have come to realise about Robin, is that when he was in GN'R....he gave his ALL to GN'R. He never promoted himself in any which way, but always strove to be loyal to GN'R, and to make GN'R his one and only priority.

Even judging by live performances, I don't think you can argue that Robin is much more of a musician. Robin feels the notes, and plays as if he is IN the song at that exact time, feeling all of the emotions that go along with it......where as DJ, makes sure he has a cigarette in his mouth and his tophat on.  Shocked

I just prefer a musician like Robin... Smiley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:09:32 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #228 on: March 15, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

And when you are looking to break into showbiz you will take any gig you can get.   

At the risk of stating the obvious, you don't get gigs as a producer and songwriter based on showmanship. You have to be able to demonstrate aptitude - it's not like getting a job as a producer is somehow easier than getting a gig playing guitar in a band. The opposite is actually true.

As far as Robin in NIN vs GNR, sure he's better there - the guitar parts are a lot less challenging.  Smiley
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #229 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »

Even judging by live performances, I don't think you can argue that Robin is much more of a musician. 

I agree.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »

That was good!

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »

Wow

Some of you people are going a little  extreme.   Robin was awsome when he was in the band and the other night. His contributions have been enormous.  BUT he left the band and the same can be said for the 10 members before him, they all helped GNR but lets enjoy his guest spot for what it is. 

Negative stuff about DJ is just absurd. He might not of wrote past songs, but he is very talented and I'm sure his presence will help shape the future.  Think hard back over the last couple years.  DJ when he was in the media he was always going out of his way to give positive press to GNR and Axl.  DJ appears to be very close with Axl.  DJ is great for GNR. 

The band over the last couple of years have been the best in my opinion. Look at all the shows, the communication, web site, fan club, streaming shows etc ..............  Im a diehard 20 plus year fan. Things now are the best they have ever been. Axl is happy truly happy on stage.  I think DJ has helped in a big way on and off stage.  I meet him in AC and I have to say, he was the nicest guy you could ever imagine. 

Stuff has been perfect,  we could only dream things were going to get this good. Hell it looks like it is going to keep getting better.  The past is the past and lets enjoy the present. If that includes a special guest spot or guest song writting fine, but lets ejoy things for what they are now. 

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
Ali
Legend

« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

DJ is a showman and a business man first and formost in my view, and if you dig that, then that's fine nothing wrong with that. You've got his clothing line, guitar line, guitars that look Tim Burton-esque, his guitar apps, tuner, guitar mini replicas etc....(I could go on).  hihi

That's what I think alot of people have come to realise about Robin, is that when he was in GN'R....he gave his ALL to GN'R. He never promoted himself in any which way, but always strove to be loyal to GN'R, and to make GN'R his one and only priority.

Even judging by live performances, I don't think you can argue that Robin is much more of a musician. Robin feels the notes, and plays as if he is IN the song at that exact time, feeling all of the emotions that go along with it......where as DJ, makes sure he has a cigarette in his mouth and his tophat on.  Shocked

You have a very selective memory.  Robin strove to be loyal to GN'R?  How do you garner this from his actions?  He left months before the album he and the band worked on for so long was finally released.  He left in 1999 as well to tour with NIN.  In what distorted, warped world do those things display loyalty and GN'R being his one and only priority?  Roll Eyes

Not to be condescending, but, seriously, how in the hell can you possibly know that Robin is "feeling all of the emotions that go along with it"? And even if that were true, how in the hell do you know that DJ doesn't?

Ali
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

You have a very selective memory.  Robin strove to be loyal to GN'R?  How do you garner this from his actions?  He left months before the album he and the band worked on for so long was finally released.  He left in 1999 as well to tour with NIN.  In what distorted, warped world do those things display loyalty and GN'R being his one and only priority?  Roll Eyes

Not to be condescending, but, seriously, how in the hell can you possibly know that Robin is "feeling all of the emotions that go along with it"? And even if that were true, how in the hell do you know that DJ doesn't?

Ali

I'm talking about how it comes across to the crowd, and why as a fan I prefer Robin. All these factors make me come to the decision, and it's all down to personal preference. I've already explained all of the reasons why I love Robin, and why I prefer him over DJ.......some will disagree, and that's fine.

Of course I can't speak for DJ, but I'm speaking what I see as a fan who has followed this band religiously since 2004. It's my personal opinion, and some people will prefer Robin and some DJ, and that's all apart of being a fan. Some people might see DJ's "branding" and posing onstage as cool, but some might see it as cheesy.

Some people will prefer Robins calm and reserved nature, and love how he shows his passion on stage through his actions and face expressions..... it all depends on what kind of person you are, and what you look up to.

It's not a conspiracy, everyone's entitled to an opinion.....and since Robins appearence with GN'R, it's natural for people to post positive things about Robin.  Smiley
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »

I think you make assumptions based on your emotions towards Robin.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »

Ali

I'm talking about how it comes across to the crowd, and why as a fan I prefer Robin. All these factors make me come to the decision, and it's all down to personal preference. I've already explained all of the reasons why I love Robin, and why I prefer him over DJ.......some will disagree, and that's fine.

Of course I can't speak for DJ, but I'm speaking what I see as a fan who has followed this band religiously since 2004. It's my personal opinion, and some people will prefer Robin and some DJ, and that's all apart of being a fan. Some people might see DJ's "branding" and posing onstage as cool, but some might see it as cheesy.

Some people will prefer Robins calm and reserved nature, and love how he shows his passion on stage through his actions and face expressions..... it all depends on what kind of person you are, and what you look up to.

It's not a conspiracy, everyone's entitled to an opinion.....and since Robins appearence with GN'R, it's natural for people to post positive things about Robin.  Smiley
I think Jarmo's right in that you're making assumptions, and perhaps more to the point, projections of what Robin and DJ are feeling or not feeling or what they are like, based on your feelings towards the two.  I think they both show their enjoyment of what they do, but in different ways.

And, I can't help but notice the lack of response to the loyalty issue.  Let's face it, Robin may have worked his ass off in the studio and on stage while with GN'R, but GN'R was never his one and only priority.  If that were the case, he would've never left GN'R TWICE to go on tour with NIN.

Ali
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

Finck is THE emo-artist, lots of soul in his playing and not too conventional usage of the guitar. I had wet dreams of Buckethead + Axl and more stuff like OMG/SR, but it is de nue harte 4 me instead I guess... With DJ writing songs it will be a bit more classical rock and mainstream I think, and Axl's voice which is just out of this world now. Hope he sings more heavy songs and records while he is "tourhot". Godlike performances now peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

You two are right on the money, I'm making assumptions based on my emotions towards Robin. And how have I developed my emotions?, by observing Robin for all the years I have followed Guns, and made a conclusion based on my opinions.......not rocket science is it?.

Again there is no conspiracy, I prefer how Robin shows his emotions and I prefer his playing style, and his overall attitude to life. I'm not saying DJ's feelings are not genuine, but aren't I allowed to have an opinion about who's approach to GN'R I prefer?........come on seriously.  Tongue

About Robins commitment to GN'R, overall he was with the band for for 11 years. And granted he went back to NIN, in 1999 but let's face it GN'R was not active at that time and he had written loads of material for Guns at that point which was waiting to get completed.....he must have expected alot more from his 2 years with GN'R when he joined, at least in terms of live duties alone...... the guy needed to make a living.  yes

And when Robin was with GN'R, his priority was in fact Guns N' Roses. DJ has alot of side projects as well as alot of members of GN'R currently, but Robin always made sure he was FULLY into giving his all to GN'R, and I think this should be commended.

I prefer Robin over DJ, FULL STOP......not hating on DJ, and I'm not doubting his respect and loyalty to Guns. But I just prefer Robin, as a guitarist myself.....I prefer him.

And I will end this with this short phrase from Brain.

?Brain would like to thank: Christ, Viagra, and the Right To Choose.?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:51:15 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

I don't see why saying you prefer one guitarist to another is such a big deal here...

Broski
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »

It is not a big deal, but it is a slippery slope when it is a ex-member.  What if ...........  Seriously what if in the near future a old first generation member did something musically with Axl even if it was for 30 seconds.  All hell would brake loose on here with fighting. 

He quit on GNR , he quit on Axl, he quit on us the fans. He moved on.....

The past is the past until GNR makes it the present.   I think it is best to enjoy it for what it is. A guest spot for a song.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: