Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:54:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2012 Season
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2012 Season  (Read 84728 times)
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

The $96 Million Dollar Neck wins in week 1.

Was really weird to see Peyton Manning in a Broncos uniform, but man was he fun to watch. He's still got it.

Manning looked good. No doubt.

Steelers didn't have Clark, Harrison, mendenhall. Their o-line is definitely still a problem, doesn't help they lost their number 1 draft pick. They got no pressure on manning, so give credit to Denver's oline, manning and steelers for that. I just think this game is different in Pittsburgh with Clark on the field. Polamalu plays last nights game a lot differently if Ryan Clark is on the field playing the other safety position. 

Not quite sold on Denver, but i'm anxious to see them in the next few weeks.

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:23 AM »

What can we take away with week 1 in the books?  Probably not a whole lot, teams don't really start to take shape until around Thanksgiving or so.  Just look at the Giants last year and in 2007.  But, we can only go off of what we've seen so far, which admittedly isn't much.

I know it's early, but from what I saw over the weekend, we could have the same 4 division winners in the AFC.  Patriots and Texans almost assuredly.  Maybe the Steelers can give the Ravens a run, but Baltimore looked awfully good on Sunday night.  Flacco continued his strong play from the end of last season.  If he can play at that high level they could take that next step to the Super Bowl.  I thought their defense would take a step back with the loss of Suggs, and it still may, but they look alright for now.  A lot of people are down on the Steelers this season, saying the defense is getting old, the O-line is a mess, and they can't run the ball like they used to.  All are valid concerns.  But I'll believe it when I see it.  They really could go either way.  They could go 6-10 or 12-4, but they'll probably be somewhere in the middle.  I'll stick them right at 9-7 and in the hunt for a wild card.

I too am not sold on Denver just yet.  That division is still mediocre at best and I'm not so sure the Broncos are that much better than the Chargers or the Raiders, if at all.  But you'd have to give them the early edge based on what they did last year with Tebow and the possibilities with Manning.  I expected more from the Chiefs in week 1, and this season.  We'll see if they can turn it around.

The AFC South is probably the worst division in football.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Jags, Colts, and Titans all win less than 6 games.  Texans will roll in that division, no contest.

Same with the Patriots in the AFC East.  The Bills were everybody's favorite sleeper team going into the season.  Then they get crushed by the Jets and lose their best offensive player for at least a month in the process.  Not a good start.  I'm sure they'll have better days, but I'm not so sure they're ready to contend for a playoff spot.  And despite the impressive win by the Jets, I'm not buying into them either.  They may be successful early in the season, but things will eventually go wrong and when that starts, they won't be able to recover.  They're playing with a chip on their shoulders right now because everybody was talking about how much of a disaster they'd be this year.  You could almost predict they'd come out and play well against the Bills to prove everyone wrong.  Though I didn't think they'd play THAT well.  Again though, I don't think it'll last.

In the NFC, the Saints looked pretty bad and with all the nonsense they had to deal with in the off-season, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they took a step back this season.  Panthers were a sexy sleeper pick as well and they didn't look too hot.  Bucs are just bad.  That leaves the Falcons as the favorite in the South, ready to take that next step.  Matt Ryan was also impressive and has some serious weapons at his disposal.

The 49ers are clearly the best team in the West, if not all the NFC, or better yet the NFL.  Cardinals are terrible.  Rams aren't much better, though they played tough.  And the Seahawks seem average at best.

The North is interesting.  I think the Lions could take a step back, and they looked ready to do that on Sunday.  Not impressive, although they did come out with the win which is all that matters in the end.  Vikings aren't very good, though Ponder played decently.  That leaves the Bears and Packers.  A lot of people like the Bears this year, and for good reason.  I think they have a better overall team.  I just think the Packers are better by a wide margin at the most important position on the field, QB.  So I think they still win the division.  Now it may be a different story as far as winning games in January.  The Bears may be better suited for that.

The East is tough to predict.  The Giants are another team that could miss the playoffs completely or win it all, like every year.  Same could be said for the Cowboys and Eagles too.  Philly didn't look too good against Cleveland, but again they did win.  Cowboys looked great against the Giants, and if their defense keeps showing improvement, they might be the favorite to win the division.  Everyone is excited about RG3 and the Redskins.  I'm not sold just yet.  I think it's asking a lot for a rookie QB to come in and take the team to the playoffs when they don't really have a dynamic defense, running game, OR WR's.  I think they'll be improved, but they're still a few pieces short.  Just to be a little different, I'll say the Giants suffer a Super Bowl hangover and the Cowboys win the division.

AFC East - Pats
AFC North - Ravens
AFC South - Texans
AFC West - Broncos
Wild Cards - Chargers, Steelers

NFC East - Cowboys
AFC North - Packers
AFC South - Falcons
AFC West - 49ers
Wild Cards - Bears, Eagles

And even though I'm a Patriot fan, and thought they looked great on Sunday.  And even though I thought the Ravens looked impressive as hell Sunday night.  I thought the Texans were the best team in the AFC last season WHEN healthy.  I'll take a chance they'll stay relatively healthy this year and make it to the Super Bowl to take on the 49ers.  Teams are quite similar.  Part of me wants to pick the Texans because I think Schaub is better than Smith, but I don't know if he's THAT much better.  I'll go with the 9ers.  Can't wait to revisit these picks and laugh come February, if not sooner.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »

Should be interesting how the Broncos recover against the Texans this weekend.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »

recover or regress? we shall see...good test for both teams at this point

Coop

2012 is like Christmas!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »

DALLAS ? When discussing the NFL?s latest show of shamelessness and the possible ramifications, I think two things are in order.

First, we need to readily acknowledge that greed is celebrated in this country. The media might occasionally target those who fail to recognize the fallout from the more astonishing demonstrations of rapaciousness. But it?s not like we ever got around to sending a single bank executive to jail for destroying the world economy in 2008, now did we?

(OK, back to sports).

Last year?s NBA lockout and the NHL?s current one were both predicated on the greed of ownership. Major League Baseball?s first 10-team playoff (a 150 percent increase in less than 20 years) gets under way in two weeks. What?s that all about?

And, well, even if you aren?t following the Ed O?Bannon class action lawsuit against the NCAA, if you?re a University of Texas graduate, you can?t miss how the ripple effects generated by one school?s constant grab for more money can lay waste to a century of tradition.

There. We all like money. Now let?s get to the NFL?s willingness to dilute its own product through the use of replacement officials.

First, we can?t be totally surprised by this. After all, this IS the league that used replacement players in 1987. The games were celebrated in Dallas (?White?s a Weenie, We Want Sweeney?) but mostly ridiculed and unattended in more union-friendly parts of the country.

If the owners that we like to think of as ?old school? and not quite so money hungry were willing to do that to the product 25 years ago, we can?t be shocked that this group has chosen to send lower-level college officials with no experience at managing a violent, high-speed game onto the field and simply hoped for the best.

In Week 1, the owners? side, in fact, won. Players and fans were happy to be back, there were no massive officiating blunders, and it looked for certain as if the locked-out officials had overplayed their hand (they probably still have, as we shall see in a moment).

In Week 2, the game took a hit. So did several quarterbacks to the head. So did a number of wide receivers beyond the 5-yard line of contact.

An inherently violent game bordered on lawlessness in Philadelphia and in San Francisco. The regular officials have a tough time separating players and maintaining order, especially after fumbles when the players pile on indiscriminately.

These officials didn?t even try.

On top of that, the league blindly sent an unabashed Saints fan to officiate the team?s game with Carolina. I?d like to think this was a peace offering from commissioner Roger Goodell following his punitive handling of the league?s bounty investigation.

Sadly, it was just reckless stupidity.

It?s going to get worse by the week. Games grow in significance as losses mount. Players see postseason hopes slipping away. Coaches see jobs on the line. Respect for these officials ? given grudgingly at league direction to start with ? will vanish entirely.

So why have there been no talks between the NFL and its officials this week, especially if this is in many ways about converting a pension to a 401k, something many corporations did years ago?

Because ESPN?s Steve Young said it best after Monday?s debacle in Atlanta.

?There?s nothing they can do to hurt demand for the game. So the bottom line is they don?t care,? Young said, adding that the league attitude is: ?Go ahead, gripe all you want. Let them eat cake.?

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1508906

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2012, 02:12:21 AM »

Can someone give me one good reason to watch one more Raider game this year?? anyone ?  I think I have had it..I finally snapped on Sunday.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »

Can someone give me one good reason to watch one more Raider game this year?? anyone ?  I think I have had it..I finally snapped on Sunday.

...hmmm...because in Weeks 8 and 15 you guys can actually win a couple of games?  (both against the Chiefs)
week 7 Jags
week 9 Bucs
week 13 Brownies.

Honestly, you guys may be in #1 overall pick territory...automatic top 6 imo.  I'm seeing 4-12...just good enough to keep ya from #1 overall.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »

yea but didn't they give up their 1st rd pick for the 2013 draft? cant remember the details of that very very bad deal

Coop

2012 is like Christmas!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »

yea but didn't they give up their 1st rd pick for the 2013 draft? cant remember the details of that very very bad deal

Coop

its a 2nd round pick for this year.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

I know it's still very early, but I called the Arizona Cardinals horrible a few weeks back.  I'd like to retract that statement.  They knocked off the Pats last week in front of my own unfortunate eyes and this week they're taking it to the Eagles.  By days end they could be all alone atop the AFC West.  They do have a very good defense in fact.  I didn't give them enough credit there.  Their offense leaves a lot to be desired still, but they are not horrible by any means.  My bad.  Just the first of many incorrect statements on my part for this season.

Hopefully I don't have to come back and retract my retraction anytime soon.  hihi

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »

Potentially devastating news for the Jets. Darelle Revis went down with knee injury and i'm hearing early reports its likely a torn ACL which will end his season. He's having a MRI tomorrow to find out for sure.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »

What do you guys think about the Buccaneers continuing to go for the ball while their opponent takes a knee?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »

What do you guys think about the Buccaneers continuing to go for the ball while their opponent takes a knee?

I think there is an offensive line there that gets paid an obscene amount of money to make sure their QB doesn't get hit....so lets do that.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »

I can't believe Bill Bellichick's actions after the game. Going after the ref like that. What a douchebag.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:58 AM »

ehhh thats just typical twitter/social media over reaction.  I watched it live I didn't think it was that bad.  He was trying to get the refs attention, and grabbed at his arm, probably shouldn't have done it, but wasn't really a big deal.  People are acting like he walked up to the ref and punched him in the face.

also they aren't real refs, so it should be allowed right?   hihi
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »

Belichick shouldn't have touched him. Will be fined. But it wasn't shoving the ref, it wasn't knocking him down, it wasn't a thrown punch or anything like that. Its a frustrated coach who from his angle on that side of the field thought the kick was missed and wanted them to review it. The officiating was absolutely horrible the entire night. He grabbed the official running off the field in an attempt to get his attention, nothing more. Will be fined simply because he made contact but it was nothing nefarious. Anything said otherwise is blatant over reaction.

Shame this night will probably over shadow the horrible officiating in the steelers/raiders game. So many helmet to helmet and low to qb hits not called. The hit on heyward-bey was horrible and he was knocked out and on the field for 12 mins before being carted off. NFL is supposed to be concerned with player safety. If they really are, they need to get a deal done already to get the regular refs back on the field.

Regarding the pats loss, when the pats punted with around 6 minutes left, i figured a 31-30 loss. The patriots have been too inconsistent in closing out games on offense the last few years. Not too pissed because I honestly feel the patriots deserved to lose. They had a nine point lead with the ball and couldn't close it out and than a 2 point lead with the ball and couldn't close it out. This is on the execution of Tom Brady and that entire offense. It has just been too inconsistent. Whether its coaching, play calling or execution they need to fix this. Cost a superbowl last year, a loss against giants in regular season last year, almost a loss against ravens in afc championship, this loss. Maybe I'm putting too much into it but I feel its an ongoing problem. And not just these last 2 years either.

Edit: Thought I would add in this tweet from Brandon Spikes becuz I thought it was hilarious, really stupid of him, but still pretty funny...

"Can someone please tell these fucking zebras foot locker called and they?re needed Back at work !!!! #BreakingPoint"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:07:09 AM by Sober_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »

I can't believe Bill Bellichick's actions after the game. Going after the ref like that. What a douchebag.
He wasn't really "going after" the ref.  He wanted to ask him if the FG was reviewable.  Let's face it, that was a very questionable FG.  The ref was running off the field, so Bill did what he had to do to get his attention.  Didn't work though.

The refs were AWFUL last night for both teams.  Non calls, calls that shouldn't have been made, failure to know the rules.  It was just a horrendous display of officiating.  Bring back the real refs.  Please!

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »

How can we end this thing? I thought about passing a hat around the country, but that seems inefficient. I wondered if perhaps the NFL can find the money somewhere, anywhere, to pay for proper officiating. I know times are tight, but gee, it sure seems like the NFL is kind of popular.

What would it take to end the officials' lockout? My colleague Peter King wrote today that the gap between what officials want and what the NFL is offering is around $3.3 million per season.

Gosh. That is a big number, isn't it? I don't know how the NFL is supposed to come up with $3.3 million every year ... hey, wait, I just stumbled upon this little news item: The NFL recently signed nine-year agreements with Fox, NBC and CBS that are worth $3 billion a year.

I'm no accountant, but I do have a calculator on my computer. It looks to me like the NFL could settle this dispute for the cost of 0.0011 percent of its annual TV take. That is an outrageously high number, of course. I don't think the NFL should completely cave -- this is, after all, a negotiation.

The NFL can start by generously offering 0.0004 percent of its annual TV revenue, then bump it up to 0.0006 percent of its annual TV revenue, and can probably get an agreement for close to 0.00085 percent of its annual TV revenue.

I'm guessing there, but I mean, the officials want to work. I don't think they will be stubborn and insist on that entire, enormous 0.0011 percent of the NFL's annual TV revenue. I think they could walk away from this with that 0.00085 percent of the NFL's annual TV revenue and feel pretty good about themselves.

And then, if the NFL can somehow find a way to sell a few jerseys and tickets and beers and hot dogs and parking spots ... well, the officials wouldn't get a dime of that. Then maybe the NFL could finally turn a profit. What a relief that would be.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/09/24/refs/index.html

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »

He wasn't really "going after" the ref.  He wanted to ask him if the FG was reviewable.  Let's face it, that was a very questionable FG.  The ref was running off the field, so Bill did what he had to do to get his attention.  Didn't work though.

The refs were AWFUL last night for both teams.  Non calls, calls that shouldn't have been made, failure to know the rules.  It was just a horrendous display of officiating.  Bring back the real refs.  Please!

I agree... the refs couldn't get off of the field fast enough. While it wasn't a reviewable play (according the the former NFL Director of Officiating) by rule all scoring plays are typically reviewable. Bill was looking to see why it wasn't being reviewed and the ref never acknowledged him, so he grabbed his arm to get his attention and an answer, when that didn't work he stopped.

Granted I am a NE fan, but overall that was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. The number of defensive holding calls was insane. In fact it was evident that the refs didn't understand the difference between defensive holding, pass interference, and illegal contact. In the forth quarter they call defensive holding against the Ravens DB negating an interception... while the reversal of the int was correct, the call was wrong. The DB had the Pats WR by the jersey, redirecting his route with the ball in the air. That is a 'spot of the foul' PI and not a 5 yard holding. They butchered the Edleman offensive PI where the Ravens DB never turned to make a play on the ball, which would have put them 1st and goal at the 7. They also gave the pats a catch on a Brandon Lloyd push off that lengthened a Pats scoring drive.
This may be is a homer opinion, but the bigger non-calls and phantom calls hurt the Pats more than the Ravens in this game. For example the only reason the Ravens were in the position to win last night was due to a phantom defensive holding call against McCourty that negated a late incompletion on a 3rd and 16... EDIT: I forgot the non call hit to the head (Ed Reed on Jullian Edleman) on 3rd and 9 in the end zone that should have been a 15 yard penalty giving them 1st and goal.

HOWEVER... in the end, the Pats dropped 2 int's and tripped over the white lines in the field on what should have been the 4th int of the night for Flaco giving the Ravens extra chances.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:39:07 PM by C0ma » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »

I thought he grabbed him a little too hard and the rules clearly do state you can't put your hands on the officials. So his actions while understandable were wrong. I would expect at least a fine.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: