Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2012 Season
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2012 Season  (Read 84698 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #300 on: January 22, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »

Its just another reason in a long list of reasons for people to continue to hate on the patriots and belichick. He gets singled out here because he continually, win or lose, has scoffed at doing on field interviews.

in reality bill is an ass to the media, usually. And it is a cheap move but lets not pretend he doesn't do this all the time. He is rarely, very rarely in fact ever involved in a on field interview after a game. The only super bowl post game on field interview I remember him doing is the one at the podium you do when you receive the trophy, which is short and if not required by the nfl, I think he would defer to his players.

He hates on the media and makes their job more difficult and he gets called out for it. In this instance, it was over the top.
Yeah, I think it's more a fact of that's just who Belichick is as a person.  He doesn't exactly get out there and become Mr. Friendly when they win either.  That's just who he is.  And he couldn't be more respectful to other teams and players.  If you ever listen to his weekly press conferences, he'll make you believe that the Jaguars are Super Bowl contenders.  There are a lot of coaches and players who say and do worse things than Bill.  But I get it, if you have a lot of success over the years, people love it when you lose.  Same goes for the Yankees, the Lakers, Duke basketball, etc.  Just goes with the territory I guess.  Hopefully ONE of these years they can actually win again.  It would make all the hatred more meaningful. 

As for the game.  Ravens played a GREAT game yesterday.  Completely outplayed the Pats, especially in that 2nd half.  Once Talib left the game, the Patriots were never able to recover.  Their secondary reverted to their early season form of being, um, not that good.  Regardless though, you're not going to win many games scoring 13 points.  The Ravens seem to have the blueprint on how to stop Brady and the Patriot offense, like the Giants.  Maybe one of these years Gronkowski will be available, and healthy, the last game of the season.  Would be nice, considering he's the only true deep target the Patriots have, as unconventional, as that is.  I thought Brandon Lloyd was going to help in that respect this season, but he just didn't do what I thought he could do.  Not that he was bad, he just wasn't as advertised.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with Welker next season.  He had another HUGE drop last night.  BUT, he is still so important to what the team does.  He got knocked around and stayed in the game, as he always does.  I think people kind of forget that at times, and just focus on the crucial drops.  It's probably not easy to get knocked silly constantly and maintain 100% concentration the rest of the way.  I can only imagine.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:27:45 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »

How is Talib btw? He took a nasty nasty hit. They showed him walking into the tunnel and he was seriously wobbly.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:43 AM »

Wes Welker's wife apologizes
ESPN.com news services

Last year, Tom Brady's wife had some harsh words following the conclusion of the New England Patriots' season, this year it's the wife of wide receiver Wes Welker that is making news.

Welker's wife, Anna Burns Welker, took to social media site Facebook to take a few shots at Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis on Sunday night after the Patriots' 28-13 loss to the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game.

Patriots Offseason

Patriots

The Pats' season ended with a "crash landing" in the AFC title game. An offseason of decisons looms. Blog Live
? Top priorities | Biggest needs
? Reiss: Piecing together losses ?
? Brady wants Welker back ? Walker ?
? MacMullan: Mojo was missing Video
? Reiss: Can't keep up with Flacco Video

More coverage ?

"Proud of my husband and the Pats. By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis' Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!" Burns Welker said in a since-deleted post on her personal Facebook page.

Burns Welker released a statement to sports blog Larry Brown Sports apologizing for her remarks:

"I'm deeply sorry for my recent post on Facebook. I let the competitiveness of the game and the comments people were making about a team I dearly love get the best of me. My actions were emotional and irrational and I sincerely apologize to Ray Lewis and anyone affected by my comment after yesterday's game.

"It is such an accomplishment for any team to make it to the NFL playoffs, and the momentary frustration I felt should not overshadow the accomplishments of both of these amazing teams."

Wes Welker led the Patriots in receiving Sunday with 117 yards and a touchdown on eight catches in the loss, but could have played his last game for New England as he is set to become a free agent this offseason.

Lewis, who announced weeks ago that he would retire at the conclusion of Baltimore's season, led all players with 14 tackles.

Well so much for the pats being respectful. It wasn't a player but still stupid move.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »

How is Talib btw? He took a nasty nasty hit. They showed him walking into the tunnel and he was seriously wobbly.
Talib says he'll be alright. Unfortunately, its a bit late. Ridley got knocked out cold in that game though. That didn't look like fun. I still don't think that was a fumble either. Dah well!

Pats need help at CB, so re-signing Talib would seem to be a good start, but I think they need to do more than that. Also need help at WR, both Welker and Edelman are FA's. And as always, they could use another pass rusher or 2. I've been saying that for nearly a decade now and will continue until my needs are met.

Also, the Patriot wives need to adhere to the "Patriot Way" and keep their mouths shut. Last year Gisele, this year Welker's wife. Although, a lot of people may agree with her thoughts on Ray Lewis, she should have taken the high road.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »

Talib says he'll be alright. Unfortunately, its a bit late. Ridley got knocked out cold in that game though. That didn't look like fun. I still don't think that was a fumble either. Dah well!

Pats need help at CB, so re-signing Talib would seem to be a good start, but I think they need to do more than that. Also need help at WR, both Welker and Edelman are FA's. And as always, they could use another pass rusher or 2. I've been saying that for nearly a decade now and will continue until my needs are met.

Also, the Patriot wives need to adhere to the "Patriot Way" and keep their mouths shut. Last year Gisele, this year Welker's wife. Although, a lot of people may agree with her thoughts on Ray Lewis, she should have taken the high road.

With Gisele all the reports were saying she was being heckled while waiting at an elevator and just reacted in the heat of the moment. I understood that and kinda of gave it a pass because she most likely wouldn't be use to that type of fan treatment. However with Welker's wife she went on facebook and typed it out and than had to post it. It may have been a quick reaction in the moment but it's much different when you have time to type it, think about it and than post it and there is no excuse for that. It was stupid and classless and she should take some flack for that.

Another off-season and another round of needs that look the same. Wide receiver, Cornerback, defensive line. You have to give the patriots credit for being able to compete and be in the hunt for a superbowl every year but you also have to slam them for being unable to address the pass rush and secondary for years. And now wide reciever the last couple. I love Belichick and I always will, that doesn't mean I can't criticize their personnel moves which should be criticized.

There is good news though. If Talib is resigned it appears they finally have their first true #1 corner since Samuel. And McCourty is a decent safety so that helps too. Chandler Jones had a good rookie season and hopefully he can continue to grow and preform at a high level which would finally help some of those needs the patriots have failed to meet on a consistent basis. But more needs to be done.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:34:04 AM by Sober_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »

Another off-season and another round of needs that look the same. Wide receiver, Cornerback, defensive line. You have to give the patriots credit for being able to compete and be in the hunt for a superbowl every year but you also have to slam them for being unable to address the pass rush and secondary for years. And now wide reciever the last couple. I love Belichick and I always will, that doesn't mean I can't criticize their personnel moves which should be criticized.

There is good news though. If Talib is resigned it appears they finally have their first true #1 corner since Samuel. And McCourty is a decent safety so that helps too. Chandler Jones had a good rookie season and hopefully he can continue to grow and preform at a high level which would finally help some of those needs the patriots have failed to meet on a consistent basis. But more needs to be done.
Yeah, I do think the Patriots are moving in the right direction on the defensive front.  They've gotten younger, faster, better.  But they're not there yet.  I just hope they get there before Brady calls it quits.  They've been rebuilding that defense for at least 3 years now, really since that 07 Super Bowl, and it still isn't where it needs to be.  As good as Brady and the Patriots offense is, defense still wins in the end. 

I do hope they retain Talib, because he did make the defense that much more respectable.  However, he showed to be a bit injury prone during his short stay.  So I don't think they can stop at just him.  Obviously Kyle Arrington isn't a viable replacement as a full time CB.  And as good as Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich were this year, they still need more in the pass rushing department.  All those 2 guys really did, was replace Andre Carter and Mark Anderson from last season.  Need more pressure, plain and simple.  And it appears they STILL need another deep threat, or at least someone who can stretch the field a little.  Other than Gronkowski, nobody on the roster really fits that mold.

So yes, another off-season, and the same holes needed to be filled.  Which can be frustrating.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

That hit on Ridley was nasty. It was really a scary moment. It was close but i did think the ball started to come loose before he hit the ground. Agreed there are lots of people who share her views on Lewis but we also can agree she needs to keep her mouth shut, especially on something like facebook.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »

It looks like Brady may face discipline for his sliding with his leg up on that one play. Also, the home of their DB Martin was robbed during the game. Sometimes i really hate people. What an asshole thing to do.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »

It looks like Brady may face discipline for his sliding with his leg up on that one play. Also, the home of their DB Martin was robbed during the game. Sometimes i really hate people. What an asshole thing to do.

That was the Ty Cobb slide.  He really should know better than to do that.  I can't see how his intention was anything but malicious on that play, but even giving him the benefit of the doubt, it just looked bad.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

Ed Reed said that Brady called him to apologize for the slide/kick. FWIW.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »

It was just a bad idea all the way around. He could've not only injured an opposing player but also himself.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »

It was just a bad idea all the way around. He could've not only injured an opposing player but also himself.
Yeah, but unfortunately guys don't often think of the consequences in the heat of the moment.  I'm sure Brady was pissed at the lack of success he was having and just sort of let out some aggression that way.  Not smart, but more reactionary.

Pats signed a pass rusher today from the CFL.  Hoping for a Cameron Wake like find.  Strange story surrounding this guy.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/01/patriots_sign_d_7.html?camp=misc:on:twit:patriots&dlvrit=834384

Patriots sign DL Armond Armstead
Shalise Manza Young

According to the NFL transaction wire, the Patriots have signed defensive tackle Armond Armstead, a 6-foot-5-inch, 298-pound Southern Cal product, to a futures contract.

Armstead spent the 2012 season with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, helping the team win the Grey Cup championship, and was named a league All-Star.

But there is an interesting back story that led to him ending up in Canada:

While at USC, where he played from 2008-10, Armstead says he was improperly given injections of Toradol, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, and those injections led to him suffering a heart attack in March 2011.

He says he was not informed when he was given the injections what the medication was or that there was a risk of heart attack or stroke when taking it.

Armstead was briefly hospitalized, and USC would not clear him medically to play in 2011. He thought about transferring to another college but opted instead to turn pro. He was not taken in the NFL draft or signed as a free agent in 2012, likely because of concerns over his health history. Armstead went to the CFL instead.

Last August, Armstead brought suit against USC, University Park Health Center, USC team physician James Tibone, and an unnamed pharmaceutical company.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:57:19 PM by faldor » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

And here's an inflammatory story if I've ever heard one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/tim-brown-bill-callahan-wanted-to-lose-the-super-bowl/

Tim Brown: Bill Callahan wanted to lose the Super Bowl
Posted by Michael David Smith

Former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown is doubling down on his stunning allegation that his old coach Bill Callahan purposely lost Super Bowl XXXVII.

Appearing on Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network, Brown was asked by Erik Kuselias if he believes Callahan was just incompetent, or if he believes Callahan was actively trying to lose the Super Bowl. Brown chose the latter.

?I can?t say the man was incompetent because he was far from that,? Brown said. ?You only leave me with one other choice so I?ll have to go ahead and take the latter of those two choices.?

Brown said that after preparing on Monday through Thursday before the Super Bowl for a run-first offense, Callahan sprung a new game plan on his players, a pass-first game plan that, according to Brown, Callahan knew would cost the Raiders the game.

?Why would you change the game plan so close to the game if you know the negative repercussions of that could cost you the game?? Brown said.

These allegations by Brown ? which were bolstered today by another player on that team, Jerry Rice ? are stunning. So far, Callahan hasn?t responded. But he needs to speak out and give his side of this story. Because he?s being accused by two of his greatest players of taking the Silver and Black to the Super Bowl, and then committing the greatest sporting scandal since the 1919 Black Sox.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »

Looks like I won't be watching the Super Bowl this year with the musical guest that will be performing to the teams that will be playing. No interest at all! Hopefully next year will be better.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

Yeah, but unfortunately guys don't often think of the consequences in the heat of the moment.  I'm sure Brady was pissed at the lack of success he was having and just sort of let out some aggression that way.  Not smart, but more reactionary.

Pats signed a pass rusher today from the CFL.  Hoping for a Cameron Wake like find.  Strange story surrounding this guy.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/01/patriots_sign_d_7.html?camp=misc:on:twit:patriots&dlvrit=834384

Shalise Manza Young

According to the NFL transaction wire, the Patriots have signed defensive tackle Armond Armstead, a 6-foot-5-inch, 298-pound Southern Cal product, to a futures contract.

Armstead spent the 2012 season with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, helping the team win the Grey Cup championship, and was named a league All-Star.

While at USC, where he played from 2008-10, Armstead says he was improperly given injections of Toradol, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, and those injections led to him suffering a heart attack in March 2011.

He says he was not informed when he was given the injections what the medication was or that there was a risk of heart attack or stroke when taking it.

Armstead was briefly hospitalized, and USC would not clear him medically to play in 2011. He thought about transferring to another college but opted instead to turn pro. He was not taken in the NFL draft or signed as a free agent in 2012, likely because of concerns over his health history. Armstead went to the CFL instead.

Last August, Armstead brought suit against USC, University Park Health Center, USC team physician James Tibone, and an unnamed pharmaceutical company.

Now that is a rather strange story. Interested to see how he helps the pats. Is he guaranteed a roster spot?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »

And here's an inflammatory story if I've ever heard one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/tim-brown-bill-callahan-wanted-to-lose-the-super-bowl/

Tim Brown: Bill Callahan wanted to lose the Super Bowl
Posted by Michael David Smith

Former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown is doubling down on his stunning allegation that his old coach Bill Callahan purposely lost Super Bowl XXXVII.

Appearing on Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network, Brown was asked by Erik Kuselias if he believes Callahan was just incompetent, or if he believes Callahan was actively trying to lose the Super Bowl. Brown chose the latter.

?I can?t say the man was incompetent because he was far from that,? Brown said. ?You only leave me with one other choice so I?ll have to go ahead and take the latter of those two choices.?

Brown said that after preparing on Monday through Thursday before the Super Bowl for a run-first offense, Callahan sprung a new game plan on his players, a pass-first game plan that, according to Brown, Callahan knew would cost the Raiders the game.

?Why would you change the game plan so close to the game if you know the negative repercussions of that could cost you the game?? Brown said.

These allegations by Brown ? which were bolstered today by another player on that team, Jerry Rice ? are stunning. So far, Callahan hasn?t responded. But he needs to speak out and give his side of this story. Because he?s being accused by two of his greatest players of taking the Silver and Black to the Super Bowl, and then committing the greatest sporting scandal since the 1919 Black Sox.

Hmm, well if i remember correctly Tim Brown was kind of a dick. So this isn't all that surprising.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »

Even though Brady apologized and i don't think it was malicous i still think he'll probably be fined for the play. Just so the league can say they are staying consistent for similar plays.
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »

Even though Brady apologized and i don't think it was malicous i still think he'll probably be fined for the play. Just so the league can say they are staying consistent for similar plays.

What similar play? Its not like a cheap shot after the whistle and it's vastly different than a helmet to helmet like Pollard was bitchin about. I dunno, I agree it'll probably be a fine. I'm still bitching about belichick getting a fine for ref contact...  hihi

Several Raiders, not just Brown, have come public bitching about the coaching job done in superbowl 37 and that they felt it was possible Callahan gave it away. I call total bull-shit to that. They lost their starting center 3 days before the superbowl, right around the time they say the game plan changed. I wonder if the coach felt the back up center who only had 2 snaps all season would be a liability in the run blocking scheme against one of the best run defenses in the league.

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »

Anything is surely possible but i agree i'm calling bullshit too on Tim Brown.
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »

Shalise Manza Young

Now that is a rather strange story. Interested to see how he helps the pats. Is he guaranteed a roster spot?

I don't know if its guaranteed but probably as close to guaranteed as you can get. He had interest from several different teams and many felt he would have been a 2nd round draft pick had he not had the health problems. He had a great season in the CFL, which i know doesn't mean all that much but he stayed healthy which is what NFL teams really wanted to see. I'm hopeful he can perform a back up role and perhaps earn some time playing next to wilfork. I'm also of the opinion that a interior rusher was needed and perhaps this means the patriots don't need to spend a draft pick on one.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:01:13 AM by Sober_times » Logged

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: