Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:18:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2012 Season
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2012 Season  (Read 84744 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »

It was just a bad idea all the way around. He could've not only injured an opposing player but also himself.
Yeah, but unfortunately guys don't often think of the consequences in the heat of the moment.  I'm sure Brady was pissed at the lack of success he was having and just sort of let out some aggression that way.  Not smart, but more reactionary.

Pats signed a pass rusher today from the CFL.  Hoping for a Cameron Wake like find.  Strange story surrounding this guy.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/01/patriots_sign_d_7.html?camp=misc:on:twit:patriots&dlvrit=834384

Patriots sign DL Armond Armstead
Shalise Manza Young

According to the NFL transaction wire, the Patriots have signed defensive tackle Armond Armstead, a 6-foot-5-inch, 298-pound Southern Cal product, to a futures contract.

Armstead spent the 2012 season with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, helping the team win the Grey Cup championship, and was named a league All-Star.

But there is an interesting back story that led to him ending up in Canada:

While at USC, where he played from 2008-10, Armstead says he was improperly given injections of Toradol, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, and those injections led to him suffering a heart attack in March 2011.

He says he was not informed when he was given the injections what the medication was or that there was a risk of heart attack or stroke when taking it.

Armstead was briefly hospitalized, and USC would not clear him medically to play in 2011. He thought about transferring to another college but opted instead to turn pro. He was not taken in the NFL draft or signed as a free agent in 2012, likely because of concerns over his health history. Armstead went to the CFL instead.

Last August, Armstead brought suit against USC, University Park Health Center, USC team physician James Tibone, and an unnamed pharmaceutical company.

Now that is a rather strange story. Interested to see how he helps the pats. Is he guaranteed a roster spot?

I don't know if its guaranteed but probably as close to guaranteed as you can get. He had interest from several different teams and many felt he would have been a 2nd round draft pick had he not had the health problems. He had a great season in the CFL, which i know doesn't mean all that much but he stayed healthy which is what NFL teams really wanted to see. I'm hopeful he can perform a back up role and perhaps earn some time playing next to wilfork. I'm also of the opinion that a interior rusher was needed and perhaps this means the patriots don't need to spend a draft pick on one.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739148/armstead-gets-655k-guaranteed

Armstead gets $655k guaranteed
By Mike Reiss & Field Yates

In a reflection of how the Patriots view defensive lineman Armon Armstead as a part of their future, the team guaranteed him $655,000 as part of his contract.

This is unusual for a player signing a "futures" contract, which Armstead did Tuesday.

Armstead's pact is a three-year deal, with base salaries of $405,000 in 2013, $495,000 in 2014, $585,000 in 2015.

The entire $405,000 base salary in 2013 is guaranteed, while $250,000 of the base salary in 2014 is guaranteed.

This is a strong indication that the Patriots view Armstead as part of their roster in 2013, as well as an indication that the team had competition to sign him. Armstead was a highly touted prospect before a medical issue (heart) cost him his 2011 season at Southern Cal and ultimately led him to the Canadian Football League in 2012.

There is an unspecified injury waiver as part of the deal, which presumably would allow the Patriots to get out of the contract in the event a physical wasn't passed.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01:51 AM »

As i expected Brady has been fined by the league $10,000 for the slide at the end of the first half of the AFC Championship.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »

Darrelle Revis: Which teams will go after Jets CB?

The Darrelle Revis trade rumors will be one of the biggest stories of the offseason. The New York Jets don't seem to mind.

Jets owner Woody Johnson had a chance to deny reports that he wanted to trade New York's All-Pro cornerback. Johnson chose not to. One source told ESPNNewYork.com that Johnson already assumes Revis will leave in 2014. A CBS reports indicates a market is already forming. Let's break down his most likely suitors.

Early favorites

The next three names were mentioned by Mike Freeman as teams that are "highly interested" so they make a great starting point for the following irresponsible speculation and dot connecting:

Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks love physical cornerbacks who can play man coverage tight to the line of scrimmage. They weren't afraid to be bold in past moves. They are in the NFC, which should be an advantage. And Jets GM John Idzik has a close relationship with the Seahawks front office. Despite a strong pair of starting cornerbacks, this could be the most logical fit.

San Francisco 49ers: Jim Harbaugh's secondary isn't exactly thin, but the team could consider cutting Carlos Rogers if they added Revis.

Denver Broncos: John Elway is in win-now mode because of Peyton Manning's age and doesn't seem afraid to make a bold mood. With promising youngster Chris Harris in place, the Broncos would have a nice-looking secondary. Champ Bailey could potentially move to free safety.

Other possible fits

Green Bay Packers: Freeman references the Packers as a possibility mentioned by "league sources." Green Bay doesn't go out of "draft-and-develop" mode too often, but Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett are notable exceptions.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs showed last year they are willing to make a splash in free agency. There's a huge need at the position and plenty of cap space.

Kansas City Chiefs: The need and cap space isn't quite as big for Kansas City, but Andy Reid showed in his final years in Philadelphia that he was willing to go after the splashiest name available.

Cincinnati Bengals: This is probably a long shot, but the Bengals do have an extra second round pick. But would Revis consider signing long-term?

Washington Redskins: There's not a lot of cap room on paper, but that can be managed. Dan Snyder usually gets in the middle of action like this. Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have the same history.

Not going to happen

AFC East rivals: The Bills and Patriots reportedly would be interested in Revis, but there's no way the Jets would deal him to someone in the division.

Other factors

1. Revis is coming off a torn ACL. This makes any potential trade a lot more complicated.

2. It's hard to imagine any team trading Revis without working out a long-term deal with him. No one wants to trade picks for a one-year rental.

3. Revis' contract prevents the Jets from using the franchise tag on him. It also essentially prevents Revis from holding out. If he holds out, Revis can't void the deal after 2013.

4. The Jets owe Revis $1 million shortly after the new league year starts in March. Ideally, a potential trade would happen before that date.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130940/article/darrelle-revis-which-teams-will-go-after-jets-cb

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:54 AM »

Well, 1 outta 2 aint bad...I thought it was gonna be Niners-Patsies...(sorry faldor!)...but seeing as how we are gonna be seeing Ravens-Niners...
Axl4Prez is rolling with...

...Niners -3 1/2.

I will be rooting for U. of Delaware product Joe Flacco...BUT, I'd be just as happy to see Randy Moss get a ring. 
Anything could happen...one thing's for certain, lots of pizza, chips, a few drinks, good commercials...Axl with a surprise halftime performance! (hey, a fan can dream right?) 
Lookin' forward to next Sunday. 
 peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »

Axl with a surprise halftime performance! (hey, a fan can dream right?) 

Right alongside Bouncy, eh?  hihi

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »

Joe Flacco is criticizing the NFL for having the Super Bowl in a cold weather stadium. This is fucking stupid. The championship games are in cold weather stadiums. The Super Bowl used to be played in places like Green Bay. The elements should be part of the game imo.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

Steroids in football is old news, but it still irritates me that it's mainly been perceived as a baseball problem...

http://deadspin.com/5979930/ray-lewis-reportedly-used-a-banned-substance-for-years-but-no-one-cares-because-its-football
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »

Steroids in football is old news, but it still irritates me that it's mainly been perceived as a baseball problem...

http://deadspin.com/5979930/ray-lewis-reportedly-used-a-banned-substance-for-years-but-no-one-cares-because-its-football
Lots of Ravens players seem to heal much quicker than expected.  They must have a great training staff there in Baltimore.  ok

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »

Joe Flacco is criticizing the NFL for having the Super Bowl in a cold weather stadium. This is fucking stupid. The championship games are in cold weather stadiums. The Super Bowl used to be played in places like Green Bay. The elements should be part of the game imo.

Unfortunately, that's just not true...had it been the case, my Vikings would have likely won one of the four Super Bowls they lost!  Sad
The 1st cold-weather Super Bowl ever will be played in NY in 2014.

Personally, I'm surprised small-market teams never made a push for the big game being held in their neck of the woods.
I have NO problem with a cold-weather Super Bowl btw.
I think the original plan for Super Bowls being held in warm-weather climates had more to do with putting fannies in the seats.  Needless to say, nowadays, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of a NON-sold out Super Bowl...in the beginning, that wasn't the case. 

btw, the Axl4Prez lean-meter is leanin' hard towards the Niners.  This has blow-out potential unfortunately.  No matter...good commercials (hopefully), pizza, chips, some mixed drinks...it will be a good night no matter what. 
 Cool

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »

Unfortunately, that's just not true...had it been the case, my Vikings would have likely won one of the four Super Bowls they lost!  Sad
The 1st cold-weather Super Bowl ever will be played in NY in 2014.

Personally, I'm surprised small-market teams never made a push for the big game being held in their neck of the woods.
I have NO problem with a cold-weather Super Bowl btw.
I think the original plan for Super Bowls being held in warm-weather climates had more to do with putting fannies in the seats.  Needless to say, nowadays, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of a NON-sold out Super Bowl...in the beginning, that wasn't the case. 

btw, the Axl4Prez lean-meter is leanin' hard towards the Niners.  This has blow-out potential unfortunately.  No matter...good commercials (hopefully), pizza, chips, some mixed drinks...it will be a good night no matter what. 
 Cool

I thought at least one had been at Lambeau? Was that the AFL championship? I like that it'll be in a cold climate next year. It will make for a much more interesting game it think.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #330 on: January 31, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »

Cool

Not doubting, just curious on your reasons for leaning towards 49ers. I think everyone (including Vegas +3.5) is seriously sleeping on the Ravens. If you had lined up all the favorites to get to or win the Super Bowl before the playoffs started, many people would have had Broncos and Pats #1 and 2. Baltimore went on the road and beat both of them. I'm a big believer in looking at just the playoffs instead of stats from Week 2 and 3 when it comes to picking a Super Bowl winner.

So, I'm wondering what's up with the Niners that I don't know about.

Also, someone mentioned small market teams hosting the Super Bowl. Didn't Jacksonville host one a few years back and everyone complained about lack of hotels, cabs, places to eat, etc.?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #331 on: January 31, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »

Cool

Not doubting, just curious on your reasons for leaning towards 49ers. I think everyone (including Vegas +3.5) is seriously sleeping on the Ravens. If you had lined up all the favorites to get to or win the Super Bowl before the playoffs started, many people would have had Broncos and Pats #1 and 2. Baltimore went on the road and beat both of them. I'm a big believer in looking at just the playoffs instead of stats from Week 2 and 3 when it comes to picking a Super Bowl winner.

So, I'm wondering what's up with the Niners that I don't know about.

Also, someone mentioned small market teams hosting the Super Bowl. Didn't Jacksonville host one a few years back and everyone complained about lack of hotels, cabs, places to eat, etc.?
I think I'm leaning towards the Ravens too.  They looked terrible about a month ago, and their defense really wasn't good all year.  While San Fran was always among the best teams in the league.  BUT, Baltimore has seemed to up their game as of late.  2 very impressive playoff wins.  Not that San Fran has looked bad, but Baltimore just seems to have something special going right now.  And that team that gets hot at the right time often wins, especially in recent years.  The Ravens seem to fit that mold perfectly.  So even though I think the 9ers are a better overall team, I think the Ravens will win.  Though I'll be pulling for the 9ers.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #332 on: January 31, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »

Baltimore looks like a team on a mission to get Lewis another ring before he hangs it up.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »

I think my rationale for the 49ers is...I just don't see the Ravens being the kind of team that could come back after being down 2 td's...especially against the Niners D.
Basically, Niners up by 14 or more, this could turn into a blowout...that said,
Ravens up by 14, the Niners showed what they can do down by 2 td's against the Falcons.

I like Gore...I LOVE Lamichael James...they'll be deadly running out the clock in the 4th quarter.
Niners run it down the Ravens throat...Ravens D keys on containing kaepernick, allows for big plays downfield 1 to Moss or Crabtree. 2 to VD.
Ravens offense abandons run early, down by 2 td's, Niners pass-rush is dominant. 
For some reason, I'm seeing 30-17.  (Akers redeems himself 3 of 3)

btw, 30-10 late, Ravens get a td late to make it look closer than it is.

...at least that's what I see when I polish up my crystal ballz.  Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »

Haven't been this unexcited for a Super Bowl in years Sad

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »

Haven't been this unexcited for a Super Bowl in years Sad
I know, and having the Harbaugh brothers facing each other adds to the unexcitement.  There's no hatred there.  Too much respect.  Give me something I can work with!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »

I think my rationale for the 49ers is...I just don't see the Ravens being the kind of team that could come back after being down 2 td's...especially against the Niners D.
Basically, Niners up by 14 or more, this could turn into a blowout...that said,
Ravens up by 14, the Niners showed what they can do down by 2 td's against the Falcons.

I don't disagree, but I also don't think the Falcons D is nearly as good as the Ravens D is RIGHT NOW.  So coming back from 2 TD's down is a much easier task against Atlanta than it is Baltimore in my opinion.  In other words, I don't see either team jumping out to a big lead.  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched.  49ers D is a bit better, but the Ravens have that bend but don't break D going at full strength right now.  And the offenses are similar in a way.  Both are keyed by the running game.  Kapernick is a bit of a wild card at QB and he's been playing well.  I keep waiting for him to make key rookie mistakes, but aside from the pick 6 against the Packers, he's avoided that.  And Flacco has been playing about as well as you could expect for the Ravens.  Not making mistakes and making the big throws when he needs to.

Should be a good game.  At least I hope, since I really could care less who wins.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »

What about the fact it should be a good game?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

What about the fact it should be a good game?

and don't forget AWESOME FOOD AND TASTY DRINKS!!!   ok

No, my Vikes aren't in this, but I respect these teams for getting here. 

btw, I sure hope there aren't any Patriots doing work on the sidelines...ya know, doing interviews or sideline coverage...fuckin' Bernard Pollard of the Ravens would be taking out their knees!  Wait a minute, what forum am I in?  Oh yeah, he would take out their kn-kn-kn-kn-kn-kna-knees!   hihi

How do the Ravens contain Kaepernick?  I just don't think they've got an answer.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »

Blackout bowl 2013 LOL!