Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170833 times)
FanSince87
Opening Act

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »

How come when Jarmo challenges something someone says, you say he is "attacking them" and "taking it so personally" but when the posters SPECULATE and just make up what they THINK is going on, that's ok?

Wink

B/c there's a difference between speculating or talking about the topic at hand (Axl's letter, HOF, etc) and telling a poster he's naive.  It's fine to disagree with each other on here.  That's what boards are for.  But why attack each other.  You like that Axl declined.  Great.  I respect your opinion.  While we don't agree, there's no reason for me to name call or bash you.  We can discuss the topic without putting each other down.  That was the point of my post.  And as a fan since day 1, I like very incarnation (didn't really like Buckethead though).  I don't prefer Slash to Finck or Bumblefoot, etc.   The current lineup is great.  You don't have to only be a fan of the old or new to be a fan of all things GnR.  
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »

All the ones who keep saying "Oh, but attending wouldn't have any effect on the current band". Are you that naive?

Ever since this thing was announced the whole focus has been on the past, the old band and how they broke up etc.

/jarmo

What did you expect. It's the past they're honouring. They're not claiming the present isn't happening... they made it explicitly clear on their site that Axl is fully committed to the current incarnation of Guns N' Roses. But when you're honouring the past, that's the thing that you spend most of the time talking about. That's how it goes.

And you got a problem when somebody isn't that into that kind of thing?

Man, nothings changed since the last time I was on here.  Every post until this one was about the letter and speculation.  There was no bashing and very little nastiness.  Why do you always feel the need to attack posters/fans instead of talking about the subject.  You take things so personally.  Just because someone agrees or doesn't agree with what Axl said or did, doesn't make them any less of a fan than you.  It's okay to not always agree with everything your favorite artist does.   Whatever. 

What was your old username?  Cheesy

Why do people like you always get offended when I describe what's going on among the so called fans? Too close to home?

The ones who seem to spend years whining and then they think Axl can't say no to the mighty RNRHOF reunion, but he can, and their illusions crumble again...

/jarmo

Because you are no authority, as is no one else, to dictate how much of a "fan" someone is. It's as if merely PREFERRING an older incarnation of this band gets you completely shunned. It's seemingly impossible to many people accept that there are fan who bought Chinese Democracy, who caught GNR on tour, who would rather listen to Use Your Illusions, and who aren't hanging themselves up for a reunion. Maybe someone prefers Appetite to Chinese? Maybe Chinese to Appetite? If it isn't GNR AS THEY STAND RIGHT NOW then you are "living in the past"....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:11:40 PM by WTTJ_91 » Logged
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »

I think if you turn on your TV, you might still be able to catch the end of Slash and Fergie performing together....

smoking

LOL, better than seeing the Indiana PPV concert Super Bowl weekend that never was.....

The dream is over everyone!  I was hoping for it myself, but oh well, life will go on.  

This all just makes me feel 1,000 times better about selling my tickets and making over, you guessed it, $1,000 on them!  Everyone pick Steven Adler for their celebrity death pools for 2012!

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »

This letter makes very little sense to me.
He doesn't think the HOF has the right to pick whom they induct?
Who does then? Who is he upset got inducted?

He doesn't feel he's actually wanted there?

He thinks it's a misguided attempt to distract from efforts with the current lineup?
Maybe it's a distraction if you let it become one, but to think the HOF actually gives a shit about distracting the current lineup sounds like paranoia to me.

To say he doesn't care, and it's totally rock n rol and this and that, not sure where people are getting that from.
Sounds like he cares a hell of a lot, maybe too much, reading press, public comments by other artists(what the fuck?) etc.

Totally agree with this post.   Of course they had a right who to induct into their own HOF, no differently than any HOF chooses who to induct.  And of course he was wanted.  That's why he was inducted.  HOF is inducting the men who made the music that GnR is known for.   I like CD and love the new band but that has nothing to do with the HOF.  

My speculation is that he was pissed at what Adler said. He felt alone b/c Duff, Slash, Matt and Steven are kind of together while he's moved on.  He didn't want to face them and deal with the obvious tension.  So he decided to decline.  Money plays no part here, despite what he implied.  

I just wonder if Dizzy now declines.  And if he does will it be b/c Axl declined? And if he goes, does it cause tension in the new band?  

Man, you really like to speculate.

Secondly, Guns N' Roses is also known for the music on Chinese Democracy.

I'm kind of sick of the 2000 Era band being an afterthought to the "get the old guys back together" crew

Go to the shows. People sing the CD songs. There are young people who go to the shows, and they know BOTH the new and old stuff. Yes, in most cases they heard the old stuff first, but THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO LOVE CHINESE DEMOCRACY AND IT IS A PART OF GUNS N' ROSES HISTORY.

This isn't about you're fantasies of Slash playing Paradise City again with Axls hand on his shoulder.... snap the fuck back into reality. I think if you turn on your TV, you might still be able to catch the end of Slash and Fergie performing together....

smoking

There are older fans who just prefer the older music. They are now in their 30's and 40's. I am not sure your snap language cuts the ice with that crowd,.  hihi

Axl is wanting the focus for Guns to be on the current line-up, and the current music. He feels he has shown enough respect to older band members, and feels that what he has done is enough.

That is cool
FanSince87
Opening Act

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

I think if you turn on your TV, you might still be able to catch the end of Slash and Fergie performing together....

smoking

This all just makes me feel 1,000 times better about selling my tickets and making over, you guessed it, $1,000 on them!  Everyone pick Steven Adler for their celebrity death pools for 2012!

Now THAT was funny. 
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »

Fuckin' beautiful! I knew Axl wouldn't let us down!

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
JustWckd
Rocker

It happened in my lifetime!!!

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

I get the letter, I get the point of saying there won't be a performance or reuinion.  I don't get his rejection of the Hall of Fame.  That point makes him look selfish.  He (and Jarmo) can't justify it how they want but once again he comes off as petulant.

That being said, hope to be front and center again the next time GNR comes to PHX!

12/27/11 Phoenix
04/08/16 Vegas!!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »

Because you are no authority, as is no one else, to dictate how much of a "fan" someone is. It's as if merely PREFERRING an older incarnation of this band gets you completely shunned. It's seemingly impossible to many people accept that there are fan who bought Chinese Democracy, who caught GNR on tour, who would rather listen to Use Your Illusions, and who aren't hanging themselves up for a reunion. Maybe someone prefers Appetite to Chinese? Maybe Chinese to Appetite? If it isn't GNR AS THEY STAND RIGHT NOW then you are "living in the past"....

I said nothing about preferring one album to another.

I'm talking about people who like the old band, only. And call themselves fans. Yet do nothing but belittle GN'R.

Don't you find it puzzling how often people who claim to be fans from way back seem to have the least clue about how GN'R has always operated?
They'll have usernames like "Old fan", "Fan since day one", "AFDfan1987" and so on, but they never seemed to realize that GN'R has always been about doing things their way and not playing the "game".

If something didn't feel right, GN'R never did it. Never.

Growing up, that was what set GN'R apart. They weren't making the same kind of music everybody else was making. They were different.

Nowadays that's a bad thing..... Blandness is cool.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:31:22 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

smoking

LOL, better than seeing the Indiana PPV concert Super Bowl weekend that never was.....

The dream is over everyone!  I was hoping for it myself, but oh well, life will go on.  

What  an asshole thing to say about Stevie. Even as a "joke" that isn't funny. I haven't been on here in a while but I see we still have people who think bashing Steven/Slash etc.makes them bigger GNR fans. A true GnR fan might prefer a particular lineup but would respect everyone from Tracii Guns through Dj Ashba for their contributions to GnR.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:39:29 PM by RancidPunx » Logged

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

If he wants to "Distance" himself from the old band.. how bout releasing a new album with THIS lineup?

Take out Old band songs and replace them with songs from this lineup and CD lineup.

If u are going THIS far with it.. go all the way with it.

I hate to break this news to Axl, but when people hear the old stuff they are going to remember the band who wrote/recorded it.

This isn't going to change that.

Since he "HATES" the old band so much.. how bout having THIS band re-write the music to those songs? How bout no longer playing Slash's solos? Make up new ones. see how that goes over.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not happy about this.

He can do what he wants but I think its bullshit.

my opinion, i can feel how i want to feel... break out the flame throwers, I don't care.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »

What  an asshole thing to say about Stevie. Even as a "joke" that isn't funny. I haven't been on here in a while but I see we still have people who think bashing Steven/Slash etc.makes them bigger GNR fans. A true GnR fan might prefer a particular lineup but would respect everyone from Tracii Guns through Dj Ashba for their contributions to GnR.

Yes, it's not exactly cool...

D, I see you flipped again.....

Why do you think it's about denying people of the music they love?

It's about going to some industry gathering congratulating themselves on their achievements at some kind of rock n' roll museum. And going there to smile for the cameras and wave to the crowd. Hold a speech thanking your fans, the record company, management, the Hall of Fame and so on for getting you there.

And be in the company of people you don't feel comfortable with.

Some people don't go to the high school reunions.... Some don't wanna hang out with former co-workers. Some don't wanna hang out with their ex-wife....

How horrible!

Once again. How can you be surprised or "disappointed" that Axl Rose is still Axl Rose?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:50:07 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

If he wants to "Distance" himself from the old band.. how bout releasing a new album with THIS lineup?

Take out Old band songs and replace them with songs from this lineup and CD lineup.

If u are going THIS far with it.. go all the way with it.

I hate to break this news to Axl, but when people hear the old stuff they are going to remember the band who wrote/recorded it.

This isn't going to change that.

Since he "HATES" the old band so much.. how bout having THIS band re-write the music to those songs? How bout no longer playing Slash's solos? Make up new ones. see how that goes over.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not happy about this.

He can do what he wants but I think its bullshit.

my opinion, i can feel how i want to feel... break out the flame throwers, I don't care.

Did you read a different letter?

He hates the old band? and he hates them in ALL CAPS? that much?

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Liquor & Whores
Rocker

« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »

you reunion hopes are dead & buried.

well done Axl, I've been hoping that you won't go there, you never let me down !

I'm sure though that Steven Adler will be there with his drum-sticks 2 hours before the doors open... poor old guy, he'll get the heart attack when he finds out...

"you nor anyone will ever dictate my actions" - Axl Rose
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »

Haven't flipped

still like the band he has now but if he REALLY is going to take this stance. Then release music with THIS band. cement them as GNR

cause doing year after year of tours featuring mostly old band songs isn't gonna make people forget or give u the respect u deserve.

I don't agree with Axl on this.

I can't be fake and pretend I do.

If he doesn't want to attend, That is fine. That isn't what I have a problem with, but Having your NAME removed?

I don't get that part.

someone explain that to me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »

I don't blame him one bit... I'm happy that he stood up for himself

He's always done things his way... people either hate him or love him for it.  Either way its hard to not respect him for having the balls to pull it off

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »

yea, we know divorces happen.  but the children spend their lives w the dream their parents will someday reunite.  life is so much more fulfilling when the dream is alive.  i've been thinking about that possibility for the r&r hof since 2000, long before the band members were thinking about it.  i have thought about it daily, multiple times each day for the last 12-13 years.  now that dream is over.  there is no hope.  there is no point.  i'll call in sick tomorrow to work and the foreseeable future.  i'll try to find a point to all this.  try to find a reason.  likely, there will be no reason to be found.  just someone who is more talented than any singer/songwriter in history.  without his eccentric personality we would never have gotten the amazing music that we got.  but, it's so much more than music.  it's the best literature ever written.  it's the soundtrack of my life since the age of 8.  but, that eccentricity also results in times like this.  times when he cannot just act like an adult for once.  as i sail off and try to come to grips with wasting 24 years of my life i have to take a look at the reality of this evil world we all live in.  if i call you out of habit, i'm outta love and i gotta have it.

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »

Did you read a different letter?

He hates the old band? and he hates them in ALL CAPS? that much?

D read in between the lines while listening to New Jersey backwards at half speed with the sound turned off and sitting in a lotus position facing the magnetic north in a room that was set to exactly 20.76?C.

hihi

Haven't flipped

still like the band he has now but if he REALLY is going to take this stance. Then release music with THIS band. cement them as GNR

cause doing year after year of tours featuring mostly old band songs isn't gonna make people forget or give u the respect u deserve.

If he doesn't want to attend, That is fine. That isn't what I have a problem with, but Having your NAME removed?

I don't get that part.

How do you make it clear that you want nothing to do with this circus?

Like that.

/jarmo

destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »

Haven't flipped

I don't get that part.

D, you know better than most that it's not as easy as that.

What's wrong with Axl wanting to distance himself from the event and the entire thing? Does he have to care about the RRHOF because D does?

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »

yea, we know divorces happen.  but the children spend their lives w the dream their parents will someday reunite.  life is so much more fulfilling when the dream is alive.  i've been thinking about that possibility for the r&r hof since 2000, long before the band members were thinking about it.  i have thought about it daily, multiple times each day for the last 12-13 years.  now that dream is over.  there is no hope.  there is no point.  i'll call in sick tomorrow to work and the foreseeable future.  i'll try to find a point to all this.  try to find a reason.  likely, there will be no reason to be found.  just someone who is more talented than any singer/songwriter in history.  without his eccentric personality we would never have gotten the amazing music that we got.  but, it's so much more than music.  it's the best literature ever written.  it's the soundtrack of my life since the age of 8.  but, that eccentricity also results in times like this.  times when he cannot just act like an adult for once.  as i sail off and try to come to grips with wasting 24 years of my life i have to take a look at the reality of this evil world we all live in.  if i call you out of habit, i'm outta love and i gotta have it.

You should seek psychiatric help. I'm not even joking, please seek it, for the betterment of those around you and yourself.

Also, you check out a CD called Chinese Democracy, it's pretty good. I could send you a copy if you don't have one.

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »

It's about going to some industry gathering congratulating themselves on their achievements
/jarmo

One thing that Duff kept on coming back to in his book was how they'd never stopped to talk to each other and just congratulate each other on their achievements. He seemed extremely disappointed that this was a moment he never got to share with them, and it looked likely to never happen. I think if anything, the Hall of Fame for him was a chance for them to rectify that, and it would have brought some sort of closure for him (even if he doesn't admit it publicly), because it's unlikely to happen in any other way.

If that's the case, then I'm really bummed for him that for whatever reason some people have deemed themselves above these events.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: