Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227756 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 171574 times)
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 06:57:31 PM »

I have one thing to say to all the reunionists. Don't do it.

Broski
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »

Holy cow!

I'm disappointed in that we won't get to see Axl at the ceremony, but if I'm reading his letter correctly, I understand his reasoning. Everything written about it has been "reunion this" and "reunion that." I know people will cry about it and whine about what a jerk he is and whatever, but really it takes a lot of guts to say "thanks, but no thanks" to a huge honor.

I'm sorry, but I saw the new Guns in December, and I'm more excited about what these guys have to offer than trying to relive the past. I mean Axl seems like he's been really gracious since the nomination, and even in the letter he was careful not to tell anyone to fuck off. He's not trying to be a jerk, he's just not hip on getting on stage with his old bandmates. Which, DUH, he's made that clear all along.

I was excited for him to be in the Hall of Fame, and he deserves to be, but I think I get where he's coming from on this.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »

Holy cow!

I'm disappointed in that we won't get to see Axl at the ceremony, but if I'm reading his letter correctly, I understand his reasoning. Everything written about it has been "reunion this" and "reunion that." I know people will cry about it and whine about what a jerk he is and whatever, but really it takes a lot of guts to say "thanks, but no thanks" to a huge honor.

I'm sorry, but I saw the new Guns in December, and I'm more excited about what these guys have to offer than trying to relive the past. I mean Axl seems like he's been really gracious since the nomination, and even in the letter he was careful not to tell anyone to fuck off. He's not trying to be a jerk, he's just not hip on getting on stage with his old bandmates. Which, DUH, he's made that clear all along.

I was excited for him to be in the Hall of Fame, and he deserves to be, but I think I get where he's coming from on this.

This is well said. I think it's important to point out just the pure fucking balls it takes being as honest as Axl was in the letter, and making a decision like that.

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »

That has been, by far, the best written press release I have ever read. It's like a short story, complete with the twist at the end , that everyone seems to neglect: he sincelely thanks the board for the nomination, therefore shifting the main reason for the no-show to the people making a meal out of it, namely Adler and  the press.
  He fails to mention Slash with obvious intention, knowing that if he did, it would had been the only thing the press would talk about, a new episode of the fictional "Axl vs Slash" series.

It has been said earlier, the last true Rock N' Roll star !! I won't be a hipocrite, I was really looking forward to seeing the old lineup in the same room (I wasn't delusional enough to think for a second they would actually perform), but what a big FUCK YOU to everything that has made music turn to crap over the last two decades !!!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »

Eddie Trunk is applauding Axl for what he did. He knows his shit.

Broski
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »

It's about going to some industry gathering congratulating themselves on their achievements
/jarmo

One thing that Duff kept on coming back to in his book was how they'd never stopped to talk to each other and just congratulate each other on their achievements. He seemed extremely disappointed that this was a moment he never got to share with them, and it looked likely to never happen. I think if anything, the Hall of Fame for him was a chance for them to rectify that, and it would have brought some sort of closure for him (even if he doesn't admit it publicly), because it's unlikely to happen in any other way.

If that's the case, then I'm really bummed for him that for whatever reason some people have deemed themselves above these events.

And I don't think this kind of event is the right place for that.

Look at how Duff and Axl met in 2010. It wasn't some kind of media event... It was low key, just them. No big deal.

It happened.

Instead of being a media circus about reunion this and reunion that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:11 PM »

That has been, by far, the best press release I have ever read. It's like a short story, complete with the twist at the end , that everyone seems to neglect: he sincelely thanks the board for the nomination, therefore shifting the main reason for the no-show to the people making a meal out of it, namely Adler and  the press.
  He fails to mention Slash with obvious intention, knowing that if he did, it would had been the only thing the press would talk about, a new episode of the fictional "Axl vs Slash" series.

It has been said earlier, the last true Rock N' Roll star !! I won't be a hipocrite, I was really looking forward to seeing the old lineup in the same room (I wasn't delusional enough to think for a second they would actually perform), but what a big FUCK YOU to everything that has made music turn to crap over the last two decades !!!

This is another point in the letter that I think is really being missed and distracted from by all the reunion crap. Axl really seems to understand where music is at today, where the music "industry" is at, and he doesn't seem inclined to be a part of it any more than he has to.

He's fighting the good fight.

I think a certain someone once used the line "FREEDOM THROUGH MUSICAL INTEGRITY"

smoking

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »

No. He just has a vendetta against the Hall Of Fame and won't shut the fuck up about it. Wink
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »

No. He just has a vendetta against the Hall Of Fame and won't shut the fuck up about it. Wink

Yeah, but he's right. The HOF is a joke and getting inducted isn't an "honor".

Has that vicariousexistance dude commented on this yet? Hope he doesn't take it too bad.

Edit: nevermind

Broski
vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »

yea, we know divorces happen.  but the children spend their lives w the dream their parents will someday reunite.  life is so much more fulfilling when the dream is alive.  i've been thinking about that possibility for the r&r hof since 2000, long before the band members were thinking about it.  i have thought about it daily, multiple times each day for the last 12-13 years.  now that dream is over.  there is no hope.  there is no point.  i'll call in sick tomorrow to work and the foreseeable future.  i'll try to find a point to all this.  try to find a reason.  likely, there will be no reason to be found.  just someone who is more talented than any singer/songwriter in history.  without his eccentric personality we would never have gotten the amazing music that we got.  but, it's so much more than music.  it's the best literature ever written.  it's the soundtrack of my life since the age of 8.  but, that eccentricity also results in times like this.  times when he cannot just act like an adult for once.  as i sail off and try to come to grips with wasting 24 years of my life i have to take a look at the reality of this evil world we all live in.  if i call you out of habit, i'm outta love and i gotta have it.

You should seek psychiatric help. I'm not even joking, please seek it, for the betterment of those around you and yourself.

Also, you check out a CD called Chinese Democracy, it's pretty good. I could send you a copy if you don't have one.

i listen to CD all the time.  i'm especially obsessed w better, SOD, and catcher, but i really like 95% of that album.  i saw axl and his crew in 2002 and in 2011 and axl was great.  i bought 10 tickets both times and convinced people i knew to go with me.  i did feel like i was watching axl and a cover band but i love all those songs so much that i would have had fun even if it was a cover band without axl.  i even blasted oh my god in college for months after it came out until my roommates wanted to kill me.  everything axl has ever done lyrically is greater than anything anyone else has ever done.  but, i have spent that entire time dreaming of this day in 2012 when i could finally see the 5 people who shaped my life come together again for the final time.  it's a kick in the face.  the bitter end.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:07:09 PM by vicariousexistence » Logged

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

It's about going to some industry gathering congratulating themselves on their achievements
/jarmo

One thing that Duff kept on coming back to in his book was how they'd never stopped to talk to each other and just congratulate each other on their achievements. He seemed extremely disappointed that this was a moment he never got to share with them, and it looked likely to never happen. I think if anything, the Hall of Fame for him was a chance for them to rectify that, and it would have brought some sort of closure for him (even if he doesn't admit it publicly), because it's unlikely to happen in any other way.

If that's the case, then I'm really bummed for him that for whatever reason some people have deemed themselves above these events.

And I don't think this kind of event is the right place for that.

Look at how Duff and Axl met in 2010. It wasn't some kind of media event... It was low key, just them. No big deal.

It happened.

Instead of being a media circus about reunion this and reunion that.

/jarmo

This is very true, obviously. And what I said may have been reading too much into things after reading his book, and of course it might just happen in the future. Though I don't see anything wrong with doing it at a pre-arranged event if it provides the opportunity.

Ah well... at this moment, I don't think the induction will even be valid, as it will omit the lead singer. I can't think of any band in the past that has ever been inducted without the lead singer. That would just be stupid. So I guess that's one less thing I have to be thinking about this weekend....

EDIT: That's not meant to imply that any personal dreams have been shattered by the way. Just that I don't consider it valid to omit a key member from an induction. Wink
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:07:53 PM by AxlReznor » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »

Eddie Trunk is a first class douche.. so don't pat him on the back.

he doesn't think GNR are a first ballot worthy band which is just fucking ridiculous.

Maybe the Hall wanted the potential Publicity but that doesn't change the fact GNR are an all time great band and deserve this honor.

I think removing your name from the band being inducted is too much and disrespects fans of that particular lineup/era which no one can deny.

He doesn't have to sit with them, accept the award, perform, but completely removing yourself from that particular lineup WHILE continuing to sell tickets and make money on songs co written WITH those guys is crossing the line.

U can't have it both ways.

Am i interpreting it different than others? I don't think so. I think its the ultimate disrespect to his former bandmates who helped put him where he is today.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

Good! I've got zero interest in a reunion, the band we have now rocks.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
Old Cowboy
Opening Act

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »

If Axl said, 'I am not going because the whole concept of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is idiotic', I would understand that.  This letter is unclear and ridiculous.  From what I can tell, he is pissed because the HOF dictates what members can be inducted.  Does he really think Frank Ferrer should be inducted or any of the current members?   The whole reason GNR is being inducted and why Axl even has his current lineup of GNR is because of Appetite for Destruction.  That album was written and performed by Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.  Don't get me wrong, I have seen Axl's band 3 times and love Chinese Democracy, but this honor is based on the achievment of the original five members.  Personally, I don't think Matt, Gilby or Dizzy should be inducted either.   How hard is it to walk on a stage and say 'thanks'? If he doesn't want to perform with the other guys, he doesn't have to.  He doesn't even have to talk to Slash or Steven if he doesn't feel like it.  If he is pissed because the current memebers aren't being inducted or he wants to perform with the current band, I think that is insane.  If GNR had completely ceased to exist in 1990 they would still be inducted into the HOF.  The current members have absolutely nothing to do with GNR being inducted.  But hey, Axl has always done what he wants regardless if makes sense to anybody else and that is a big reason I am such a fan.  But right now, I am a disappointed fan.
CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »

he doesn't think GNR are a first ballot worthy band which is just fucking ridiculous.

Maybe the Hall wanted the potential Publicity but that doesn't change the fact GNR are an all time great band and deserve this honor.

Actually he never said that. He said that it's ridiculous that GNR are being inducted on first ballot and tons of other bands aren't. He never said they weren't worthy. He just said tons of other bands are, and should be in already. And he's right.

Broski
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Actually he never said that. He said that it's ridiculous that GNR are being inducted on first ballot and tons of other bands aren't. He never said they weren't worthy. He just said tons of other bands are, and should be in already. And he's right.

Read that sentence.. He is saying those OTHER bands deserve to get in BEFORE GNR which is ridiculous.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »

They'll induct Axl anyways. Just look at the Sex Pistols, they inducted them anyways.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »

If Axl said, 'I am not going because the whole concept of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is idiotic', I would understand that.  This letter is unclear and ridiculous.  From what I can tell, he is pissed because the HOF dictates what members can be inducted.  Does he really think Frank Ferrer should be inducted or any of the current members?   The whole reason GNR is being inducted and why Axl even has his current lineup of GNR is because of Appetite for Destruction.  That album was written and performed by Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.  Don't get me wrong, I have seen Axl's band 3 times and love Chinese Democracy, but this honor is based on the achievment of the original five members.  Personally, I don't think Matt, Gilby or Dizzy should be inducted either.   How hard is it to walk on a stage and say 'thanks'? If he doesn't want to perform with the other guys, he doesn't have to.  He doesn't even have to talk to Slash or Steven if he doesn't feel like it.  If he is pissed because the current memebers aren't being inducted or he wants to perform with the current band, I think that is insane.  If GNR had completely ceased to exist in 1990 they would still be inducted into the HOF.  The current members have absolutely nothing to do with GNR being inducted.  But hey, Axl has always done what he wants regardless if makes sense to anybody else and that is a big reason I am such a fan.  But right now, I am a disappointed fan.

what in the letter makes you think he is pissed because the HOF dictates what members can be inducted???

i don't see anything that implies that in the slightest.

CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »

Read that sentence.. He is saying those OTHER bands deserve to get in BEFORE GNR which is ridiculous.

No he's right. Bands that have been around since before GNR, and have been eligibale for years deserve to get in before Guns.

Broski
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2012, 07:19:28 PM »

I agree.  Not going is one thing, but refusing any association with the honor is just .....wrong.  This just really just hangs like a dark cloud over the whole ceremony.  It especially reflects poorly on Axl when some of his reasoning seems to be that the "new guys" weren't included.  I mean come on, everyone knows this honor is bases on the acheivement of Appetite and no one was forcing him to do something he didn't want to do.  I worry for Axl, I think he will be haunted by the choices he's made in this life.  

I hope the rest of the guys manage to enjoy themselves and perform regardless.

That should have read I agree with Old Cowboy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:21:15 PM by Freya » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: