Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170756 times)
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »

I'm not hating on Axl, I'm just not agreeing with him.  He's made his feelings about Slash and Steven pretty clear.  From what I surmise from his letter, from how he refers to "our" induction, and how he feels his current band is GnR, it's not too big of a leap to make.  I'm quite sure he's not pissed over Gilby lol.  

I feel for Axl, but this a sad mistake.

I'm sorry for you, not sorry for Axl.....

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

I don't post much on here anymore, but I figure Axl can do what he wants.  If he'd showed up to the induction, cool.  I would've watched it in May (and I still will, actually).  If he's not gonna show up, also cool.  His choice.  I love Guns N' Roses and their music, but I guess I'd rather worry about my next paycheck or keeping my kids in shoes than spend time fretting over where Axl Rose is gonna be next week.  The only place I need him to be is in my car stereo, be it Appetite, UYI, or CD.  I think Axl's awesome, I think Slash is awesome, and I think Bumblefoot is awesome.  (Really, I think they're all awesome.)  The politics of rock bands is just not that interesting to me.  Certainly not compared to the music itself.  I suspect every member of GN'R, past and present, would agree.  (I really do.  Maybe I'm naive.)  So grab an adult beverage, chill out, and just be thankful that we've not only got lots of great GN'R albums, but the promise of more somewhere down the road.  Or freak out.  Up to you.

beer

PS--I love Axl Rose, but I do wish he'd get a good editor.  If William Faulkner were alive today, he'd read Axl's letters and press releases and be like "Dude, I'm having trouble following you."    Grin

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »

BUT those guys are considered Equal partners of those bands now whereas most are band members but aren't equal partners.

Isn't that just you speculating to prove why they were included and why nobody in GN'R would be eligible?

In other words, no evidence of that actually being the case.

He's not disrespecting it, he's just saying it's not for me.

Exactly.

/jarmo

on Their "Some Kind Of Monster" Documentary.. they actually had the contract signing making him an official "Partner"

For instance, with Kiss... Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer aren't "Members" of Kiss. they put on the makeup and play the songs but Paul and Gene pay them a salary. but Kiss is 50/50 paul and gene

so with GNR, I'd imagine Axl is the sole owner/member of GNR in that regards.

I'm not saying its right or I agree.. but that is the only explanation i can think of as to how the HOF committee can do that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »

You start a band, people join, the band becomes successful, people leave, they want the band to die, you keep going on, get new guys in who share your vision, you keep going, you're trying to get the train back up and running, you spend years on it, getting the right parts, getting everybody to work together, it's a long ride, you get to a point where you feel proud of what you accomplished after everything you've been through and somebody comes along saying "Congratulations! We will honor what you did 20-25 years ago, but we couldn't care less what you've been doing for the past 15 years! Smile!".

For some reason some "fans" don't understand this

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
mrgnrdvd
Headliner

Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundh

« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »

I wish the reunion would have happen just for one night, I always have Axl's back but I believe he over does it sometime, Axl what else do you want.

I really love the new guns n roses lineup but to appeal to all the other old Guns fans, unfortunaley would have taken a reunion with Slash to bring them back.

But when has he done anything for the fans of Guns N Roses

Just expects everyone to bow to him

Ok now everyone can respond to my write up and start a rant and pretend they are Axl

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in,  when it was announced they were getting inducted, I was happy, my fav band in HOF, cool. But I also know my favorite band has changed since 87.

I appreciate and respect Axl and his decision on this matter. ANd I think to myself, I was a fan of the band since the get go.. AFD..  Then I think to myself, apparently what many seem to think all comes down to AFD, and the argument always seems to go. Well it was those 5 original who made that album thus is the reason they are being inducted.  Hmmm.

So I think now, well if that is the case and all we have is that logic then I would not be a GNR fan today, sorry I would have become very bored. and if people who clammer for a reunion want GNR to reunite, and only want them to reproduce more AFD albums, I would not be a fan anymore. No, I have gone on the journey and personally I'm happy at this day and destination. It does take balls to say thank you but no thanks.

Axl knows hes gonna get alot of shit, he all but admitted that in his letter. But he is willing to take that upon himself cause he has that much faith in his band and the fans today. One thing for sure,  Axl has just ensured that HBO and the HOF are gonna be very happy and make lots of money, based on his decision, beit if he went or not.And I think that is a point he alludes to. But congrats Axl for staying firm and unwavering in your passions, and beliefs!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:40:07 PM by jazjme » Logged

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmY8-6qOIu8

starts at 7:20

Contrary to some people's beliefs, I do know a thing or two sometimes.

mrgnrdvd
Headliner

Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundh

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »

but seriously what has Axl done for Guns fans?

Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »

From Yahoo.com:

Axl Rose declines induction into Rock Hall
Associated PressBy NEKESA MUMBI MOODY | Associated Press ? 1 hr 30 mins ago

NEW YORK (AP) ? There'll be no Guns N' Roses reunion at this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. Axl Rose says he won't attend and is declining his induction into the hall.

The seminal band, which ruled the rock world for years before disbanding in acrimony in 1996, could be considered the headliner among the acts scheduled to be inducted in Cleveland on Saturday.

But in a letter to the hall released Wednesday, Rose said he won't be at the ceremony and would avoid what would have likely been a "complicated or awkward situation."

"I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame," he said in the letter. "I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf."

Although Rose now fronts a reconstituted version of Guns N' Roses that does not include former members Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan or Steven Adler, there was some hope that the band might reunite at the hall, a reunion that has been dreamt about by many fans from almost the moment it split.

Even Slash seemed to give a little hope to that idea in an interview with The Associated Press last month: "I have no idea what's going to happen on that day. ... It's more like going into it with blinders on and just see what happens."

But Rose apparently was miffed by such talk.

"There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities," he wrote.

He added: "So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense."

The hall didn't immediately return requests for comment. A rep for Slash said he would still attend Saturday but had no further comment. Green Day is scheduled to induct the group.

Rose's bitterness is a cloud over the band's induction, but in some ways fitting, given the dysfunction that marked the group as it rose to become one of the world's most popular acts in the 1980s and 1990s with hits like "Welcome to the Jungle," ''Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain."

Besides Guns N' Roses, inductees include the hip-hop trio Beastie Boys; rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro; Donovan; and influential British rock group The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »

I wish the reunion would have happen just for one night, I always have Axl's back but I believe he over does it sometime, Axl what else do you want.

I really love the new guns n roses lineup but to appeal to all the other old Guns fans, unfortunaley would have taken a reunion with Slash to bring them back.

But when has he done anything for the fans of Guns N Roses

Just expects everyone to bow to him

Ok now everyone can respond to my write up and start a rant and pretend they are Axl

Seriously? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »

but seriously what has Axl done for Guns fans?

What? You didn't get the personalized thank you postcard?

Ridiculous question deserves no answer.

Roll Eyes

BUT those guys are considered Equal partners of those bands now whereas most are band members but aren't equal partners.

Isn't that just you speculating to prove why they were included and why nobody in GN'R would be eligible?

In other words, no evidence of that actually being the case.

He's not disrespecting it, he's just saying it's not for me.

Exactly.

/jarmo

on Their "Some Kind Of Monster" Documentary.. they actually had the contract signing making him an official "Partner"

For instance, with Kiss... Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer aren't "Members" of Kiss. they put on the makeup and play the songs but Paul and Gene pay them a salary. but Kiss is 50/50 paul and gene

so with GNR, I'd imagine Axl is the sole owner/member of GNR in that regards.

I'm not saying its right or I agree.. but that is the only explanation i can think of as to how the HOF committee can do that.

I don't think Matt Sorum or Dizzy Reed were "equal business partners" either.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of this.

I also don't think that just because you're a partner in the business that is a band, automatically means you have more say than somebody who isn't.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:28:24 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »

D, I assume this video has something to do with the "partner" theory you put forward in your last post (sorry, did start to watch but got bored). I just think you're looking to rationalise HOF's decision too deeply. I believe they made their decision based on the hope of, if not exactly forcing a reunion, then giving it a good nudge in the right direction. It was all about getting maximum publicity for their event and, imo, very little with giving consideration to the band they were supposedly honouring.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »

Because you are no authority, as is no one else, to dictate how much of a "fan" someone is. It's as if merely PREFERRING an older incarnation of this band gets you completely shunned. It's seemingly impossible to many people accept that there are fan who bought Chinese Democracy, who caught GNR on tour, who would rather listen to Use Your Illusions, and who aren't hanging themselves up for a reunion. Maybe someone prefers Appetite to Chinese? Maybe Chinese to Appetite? If it isn't GNR AS THEY STAND RIGHT NOW then you are "living in the past"....

I said nothing about preferring one album to another.

I'm talking about people who like the old band, only. And call themselves fans. Yet do nothing but belittle GN'R.

Don't you find it puzzling how often people who claim to be fans from way back seem to have the least clue about how GN'R has always operated?
They'll have usernames like "Old fan", "Fan since day one", "AFDfan1987" and so on, but they never seemed to realize that GN'R has always been about doing things their way and not playing the "game".

If something didn't feel right, GN'R never did it. Never.

Growing up, that was what set GN'R apart. They weren't making the same kind of music everybody else was making. They were different.

Nowadays that's a bad thing..... Blandness is cool.

/jarmo

I get what you're saying and you're right. GnR/ Axl has always done things their/ his own way. I respect Axl and the other guys for that. Its like going to a GnR show and expecting Axl on stage at 9 PM, not going to happen, so why complain or go?

I can only speak for myself when describing my disappointment. I personally think going to the ceremony only would help GnR as a whole and I think a performance would have helped A LOT. Axl and the current line up do not get much favorable press and the average fan on the street doesnt know who is in the band at any time. I respect Axl's decision but do think you can celebrate the past and still embrace the future. Just my thoughts
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in,  when it was announced they were getting inducted, I was happy, my fav band in HOF, cool. But I also know my favorite band has changed since 87.

I appreciate and respect Axl and his decision on this matter. ANd I think to myself, I was a fan of the band since the get go.. AFD..  Then I think to myself, apparently what many seem to think all comes down to AFD, and the argument always seems to go. Well it was those 5 original who made that album thus is the reason they are being inducted.  Hmmm.

So I think now, well if that is the case and all we have is that logic then I would not be a GNR fan today, sorry I would have become very bored. and if people who clammer for a reunion want GNR to reunite, and only want them to reproduce more ADF albums, I would not be a fan anymore. No, I have gone on the journey and personally I'm happy at this day and destination. It does take balls to say thank you but no thanks.

Axl knows hes gonna get alot of shit, he all but admitted that in his letter. But he is willing to take that upon himself cause he has that much faith in his band and the fans today. One thing for sure,  Axl has just ensured that HBO and the HOF are gonna be very happy and make lots of money, based on his decision, beit if he went or not.And I think that is a point he alludes to. But congrats Axl for staying firm and unwavering in your passions, and beliefs!

This. The part in bold. Keep in mind it's coming from a poster whose seen the old lineup more times than most of us have gotten laid.

Doesn't anyone else think that? I think about this all the time - Axl chose the direction of the bands music, and if it came down to "Snakepit vs. Industrial Rock" or however you want to tag it, I'm sure fucking glad the old band broke up before they turned into a bunch of lame ass motherfuckers singing their songs with the latest fads in music. Oh wait, some of them (i won't name names) went on to do this anyway....

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:35:26 PM by destry rides again » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »

No No

I'm just trying to come up with a possible theory as to why some people get in and others' don't. I'm just stating, that may be a good theory as to why.

I don't think Rob or Josh should have gotten in.

For the Record, I don't think Dizzy nor Matt deserve it either. but I don't really care who all got inducted. Couldn't argue if Tommy got in.

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »

I'm not hating on Axl, I'm just not agreeing with him.  He's made his feelings about Slash and Steven pretty clear.  From what I surmise from his letter, from how he refers to "our" induction, and how he feels his current band is GnR, it's not too big of a leap to make.  I'm quite sure he's not pissed over Gilby lol.  

I really don't care, can't take a differing opinion?  Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to think he's right all the time.  

destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »

I really don't care, can't take a differing opinion?  Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to think he's right all the time.  

Fans of people don't say that DOING WHAT THEY THINK IS RIGHT FOR THEM (which Axl did) is a SAD MISTAKE because it's not WHAT YOU WANTED.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »

D, I assume this video has something to do with the "partner" theory you put forward in your last post (sorry, did start to watch but got bored). I just think you're looking to rationalise HOF's decision too deeply. I believe they made their decision based on the hope of, if not exactly forcing a reunion, then giving it a good nudge in the right direction. It was all about getting maximum publicity for their event and, imo, very little with giving consideration to the band they were supposedly honouring.

Just fast forward to 7 minutes 20 secs.. takes bout 15 secs to see what Im saying

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

Fans of people don't say that DOING WHAT THEY THINK IS RIGHT FOR THEM (which Axl did) is a SAD MISTAKE because it's not WHAT YOU WANTED.

Well, to be fair, we are "FANS" which is short for fanatic. I don't think fans are obligated to take personal feelings of the person they are a fan of into consideration when wanting something.

I want a new GNR album....... Does that make me "NOT" a fan if Axl chooses to not do another?

I don't think so. I don't subscribe to the theory to be a fan you have to 100 percent be behind and agree with everything someone does/says.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »

Was hoping to see them all in the same room, figured there would not be a performance. Nothing even close to that now. But I get the reasons behind Axl not wanting to be there. I don't get why he is declining being inducted.  

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: