Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170808 times)
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »

Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba.

I agree with that 110%. The current lineup kicks ass and does not need anything fucking with a well oiled machine. Time to move one and enjoy the best live show around.  peace

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2012, 08:46:37 PM »

BUT

Axl can shut ALOT of people up by releasing an amazing kick ass album from this lineup which I am more than confident he can do.

He is gonna have to eventually.. Surely u agree with that right?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmY8-6qOIu8

starts at 7:20

Contrary to some people's beliefs, I do know a thing or two sometimes.

D, I assume this video has something to do with the "partner" theory you put forward in your last post (sorry, did start to watch but got bored). I just think you're looking to rationalise HOF's decision too deeply. I believe they made their decision based on the hope of, if not exactly forcing a reunion, then giving it a good nudge in the right direction. It was all about getting maximum publicity for their event and, imo, very little with giving consideration to the band they were supposedly honouring.

Just fast forward to 7 minutes 20 secs.. takes bout 15 secs to see what Im saying

OK I watched it, although the Hetfield's overbearing air of smugness gets right on my wick, and my comment stands.  HOF make their decisions arbitrarily to suit their agenda at the time and so trying to justify this decision on someone's contractual status within the band is futile.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »

Was hoping to see them all in the same room, figured there would not be a performance. Nothing even close to that now. But I get the reasons behind Axl not wanting to be there. I don't get why he is declining being inducted.  

Integrity  ok

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »

BUT

Axl can shut ALOT of people up by releasing an amazing kick ass album from this lineup which I am more than confident he can do.

I'm not sure if anything will ever shut most of the people up.

He could release 20 albums of music that makes Jesus Christ himself come back and say "damn that music is so good i came back" and people would still complain about which God he got to show up.

However, I can agree that yes, this current lineup really needs to record an album together to showcase themselves.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:53:45 PM by destry rides again » Logged

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Evita
Rocker

Yes, it's me!

« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »

Couldn't agree more with Axl.  I think he clearly expressed it all.  I think a lot of things in that letter needed to be said.  Really happy he did and by the way he did it.  Hopefully now everybody can all go pass the "reunion" stuff and move on.  Smiley

Guns N' Roses - W. Axl Rose
You can visit www.gnrwar.com
ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmY8-6qOIu8

starts at 7:20

Contrary to some people's beliefs, I do know a thing or two sometimes.

He is officially a member of the band yes, but the contract is not giving him ownership of the Metallica music catalog or saying he has equal say in what the band does or doesnt do, in the end its up to Lars, Kurt and James- maybe he is receiving equal splits form touring and royalties on albums he plays on.  But Honestly trying to compare Metallica to GnR is pointless... Metallica is a very "by the book" "business as usual band" but GnR is not.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »

BUT

I'm not sure if anything will ever shut most of the people up.

He could release 20 albums of music that makes Jesus Christ himself come back and say "damn that music is so good i came back" and people would still complain about which God he got to show up.

However, I can agree that yes, this current lineup really needs to record an album together to showcase themselves.

A big part of helping "showcase" themselves was the fucking KICK ASS tour they just delivered the US and North America.

If that didn't shut up critics and Splash fan-boys...then I don't know what will.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slash's stuff on the side - I listened to his last album and went to his shows with Myles. Did I enjoy them? Yep. Will I go see him again? Probably. But some of the comments here are just ridiculous....

Axl made his decision and that was it. Would it have been easier for some if it was made months ago? Yes, cause I wouldn't have bought a ticket. But I was able to sell mine today to get my money back and that's what counts to me.

My thoughts from the beginning: whatever happens, happens.
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »

Couldn't agree more with Axl.  I think he clearly expressed it all.  I think a lot of things in that letter needed to be said.  Really happy he did and by the way he did it.  Hopefully now everybody can all go pass the "reunion" stuff and move on.  Smiley

I really hope people start to finally move on from it now. I know that a lot of the "reunion camp" people, they have been mentioning the RRHOF for years as a chance at it. So hopefully now that it is out of the way, the focus will actually be on what Guns N' Roses is now, and not was it was, or what some dude in Kentucky or London wants it be.

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »

Here's another analogy for those of you who don't understand it:

You're on a ship, you and your merry gang make it out into the open sea, some people decide to jump and swim to the shore, but they try to sink the ship before leaving, you keep the ship afloat and others come to help you keep it going until you reach a harbor, but on the way you hit a few icebergs.

Then you're told "Good job, now come and celebrate the accomplishments of the crew who left port with the ship!".

Or like having a sports team that finally wins the championship or league. But only the team players that were in the team before the transfer window was open are acknowledged. The fact that they all left and joined other teams doesn't matter. The fact that you replaced them all with new players and managed to win despite having the odds against you don't matter.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »

There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion.

Can't figure out what he is saying here???

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »

You're on a ship, you and your merry gang make it out into the open sea, some people decide to jump and swim to the shore, but they try to sink the ship before leaving, you keep the ship afloat and others come to help you keep it going until you reach a harbor, but on the way you hit a few icebergs.

Did someone just go see Titanic 3-D? hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »

Then you're told "Good job, now come and celebrate the accomplishments of the crew who left port with the ship!".

Or like having a sports team that finally wins the championship or league. But only the team players that were in the team before the transfer window was open are acknowledged. The fact that they all left and joined other teams doesn't matter. The fact that you replaced them all with new players and managed to win despite having the odds against you don't matter.

/jarmo

If that is a futbol reference.. its WAYYYYYYYY over my head rofl rofl rofl rofl

vicariousexistence
Headliner

« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »

/jarmo

this is such a bullshit analogy.  it's more like the 2004 red sox team winning the championship.  since then most have left via free agency, been traded, retired, etc.  ortiz is still on the team but that's about it.  the team has had success at times since but nothing was as historic as 2004.  and, you can bet, at the 10 year celebration of the championship that all the major players will be there to see each other again and thank the fans.  

My posts all have hidden messages.  It's your job to find it.
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »

Why are some people sad about Axl not going to the ceremony? In my opinion the hall of fame its kind of unimportant. The reason they wanted Axl to be there was to see him with the other guys, because the 'honor' of being inducted its lame, and i think Axl in a very respectfull way said it on his letter.

He didnt want to offend people who see the hall of fame like a good thing, he didnt want to offend the members of the HOF or the old members of the band accepting the award, so the educated thing to do was to decline to attend and to be inducted because that its his option, he said it in the right way to not insult anyone.

the unpolite way to say it could have been

I think the hall of fame its fucking stupid, it makes no much sense, am a rockstar and i dont need an institucion giving me and 'honor', they are not doing a favor to me. Etc...

So i think it was a cool thing to do of Axl.
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »

/jarmo

this is such a bullshit analogy.  it's more like the 2004 red sox team winning the championship.  since then most have left via free agency, been traded, retired, etc.  ortiz is still on the team but that's about it.  the team has had success at times since but nothing was as historic as 2004.  and, you can bet, at the 10 year celebration of the championship that all the major players will be there to see each other again and thank the fans.  

You mean how Francona isn't gonna show up for the Fenway celebration? Wink

Guns N' Roses didn't win any championships. They were a rock band, they played shows and recorded albums. The Red Sox sucked for like 100 years, that's the only reason their championship was so special. GNR wasn't special because they sucked for 100 years. They made music, it's an entirely different situation.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »

I really hope people start to finally move on from it now. I know that a lot of the "reunion camp" people, they have been mentioning the RRHOF for years as a chance at it. So hopefully now that it is out of the way, the focus will actually be on what Guns N' Roses is now, and not was it was, or what some dude in Kentucky or London wants it be.

Since I am from Ky, I'll say this. I never said anything about a full blown reunion tour.

Acknowledging and accepting an honor for "PAST" accomplishments that has nothing to do with the present is another. U don't wanna perform? Fine. U don't wanna take pics, talk, attend.. Fine

completely denouncing the honor and having your name taking off what you and 4 other guys accomplished is something else entirely. 

Guys you went through so many hard times with, struggled, slaved, lived like a 3rd world country to sacrifice and conquer the world with.... U don't want to be recognized with these guys?

I'm sorry.. I just don't get it and I won't get it.

He wants to move on with "Current" lineup... then do something Current. release a new album. Show people what this band can do. I think the band deserve to show that so they can get the credit they deserve.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »

I like the current lineup and respect Axl's decision BUT it would have been cool to see him close that chapter of GNR on a high note instead of this. I think making a statement saying that he doesn't want to be included in the induction is asinine. I agree with someone else on here who stated that Duff is acting like the most mature one. These guys are either 50 or heading there and they still act immature for their age.  There comes a point where you  just got to let things go. Say what comes to your mind, let it go and move forward. This would had been the perfect opportunity for all of them to do that. In my book, Duff is definitely doing this.  
KD8LNW
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »

It seems that you people are so blinded by Axl's brilliance that you all forget one very important thing, if it were not for Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler, Slash, Matt Sorum and for that matter Gilby Clarke there would be no "Guns n Roses" as you know it today. There would be no touring, unless they would be playing 'Chinese Democracy' in it's entirety. I do not see people running out and grabbing up tickets for that.

I think Tommy Stinson and Ron Thal are great musicians and have nothing against Axl's backing band but if it were not for the Appetite lineup you would not have your version of GN'R. You can have your version but Guns n Roses was over when Duff and Slash signed their rights of the name to Axl Rose. Let's not forget, they did it for the FANS because if they did not sign Axl was not going to go on and they did not want another riot.

If Axl wants his new version of GN'R to do anything, he has to release a kick ass rock album that doesn't take 15 years to make. Will that happen? Time will tell but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:16:55 PM by KD8LNW » Logged
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »

More than anything, I'm dissappointed that I'm dissapointed. I keep asking myself, why does it bother me?  I get why Axl has chosen not to go, there are many reasons why I agree he shouldn't go.  I personally feel he could have left out the part about not being inducted in absentia, as he more than anyone deserves to be inducted.  As D said in this thread, Axl now needs more than ever to get new material out there so that the current line-up can firmly stand on their own.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:19:18 PM by 14 Yrs Of Silence » Logged

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: