Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170724 times)
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »

It seems that you people are so blinded by Axl's brilliance that you all forget one very important thing, if it were not for Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler, Slash, Matt Sorum and for that matter Gilby Clarke there would be no "Guns n Roses" as you know it today. There would be no touring, unless they would be playing 'Chinese Democracy' in it's entirety. I do not see people running out and grabbing up tickets for that.

I think Tommy Stinson and Ron Thal are great musicians and have nothing against Axl's backing band but if it were not for the Appetite lineup you would not have your version of GN'R. You can have your version but Guns n Roses was over when Duff and Slash signed there rights of the name to Axl Rose. Let's not forget, they did it for the FANS because if they did not sign Axl was not going to go on and they did not want another riot.

Please don't be naive enough to think that because we support what is happening now we are not aware of the past.

Also, your version of the past is probably from Slash's book or Duff's book or Mike Clink's book or maybe even Tracy and Roberta's book....

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »

Couldn't agree more with Axl.  I think he clearly expressed it all.  I think a lot of things in that letter needed to be said.  Really happy he did and by the way he did it.  Hopefully now everybody can all go pass the "reunion" stuff and move on.  Smiley

I really hope people start to finally move on from it now. I know that a lot of the "reunion camp" people, they have been mentioning the RRHOF for years as a chance at it. So hopefully now that it is out of the way, the focus will actually be on what Guns N' Roses is now, and not was it was, or what some dude in Kentucky or London wants it be.

Since I am from Ky, I'll say this. I never said anything about a full blown reunion tour.

Acknowledging and accepting an honor for "PAST" accomplishments that has nothing to do with the present is another. U don't wanna perform? Fine. U don't wanna take pics, talk, attend.. Fine

completely denouncing the honor and having your name taking off what you and 4 other guys accomplished is something else entirely. 

Guys you went through so many hard times with, struggled, slaved, lived like a 3rd world country to sacrifice and conquer the world with.... U don't want to be recognized with these guys?

I'm sorry.. I just don't get it and I won't get it.

He wants to move on with "Current" lineup... then do something Current. release a new album. Show people what this band can do. I think the band deserve to show that so they can get the credit they deserve.

Yo realize that there are ways to be polite to not do things and to not offend people right?

Axl doesnt need the fucking hall of fame honoring him for his music, he is a rockstar. He said it in a polite way to not offend the members who wanted the 'honor'

You can be honest and be polite i think thats what he was in his letter.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »

You're on a ship, you and your merry gang make it out into the open sea, some people decide to jump and swim to the shore, but they try to sink the ship before leaving, you keep the ship afloat and others come to help you keep it going until you reach a harbor, but on the way you hit a few icebergs.

Did someone just go see Titanic 3-D? hihi

I don't need to see the movie to know that the thing sinks!  Tongue

I like the current lineup and respect Axl's decision BUT it would have been cool to see him close that chapter of GNR on a high note instead of this.

The way it ended has very little to do with Axl.

this is such a bullshit analogy.  it's more like the 2004 red sox team winning the championship.  since then most have left via free agency, been traded, retired, etc.  ortiz is still on the team but that's about it.  the team has had success at times since but nothing was as historic as 2004.  and, you can bet, at the 10 year celebration of the championship that all the major players will be there to see each other again and thank the fans.

I see you didn't get it.

Ok, let me put it this way. It's like thanking your first grade teacher for you getting an university diploma and ignoring everybody who helped you since high school.

It seems that you people are so blinded by Axl's brilliance that you all forget one very important thing, if it were not for Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Steven Adler, Slash, Matt Sorum and for that matter Gilby Clarke there would be no "Guns n Roses" as you know it today. There would be no touring, unless they would be playing 'Chinese Democracy' in it's entirety. I do not see people running out and grabbing up tickets for that.

Why do you people always assume that? That's just silly.

You can also turn it around. Without Axl, maybe you wouldn't have heard about any of those guys.  Tongue

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:21:21 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »

Can people not just respect that it's Axl's choice, and move on?

The other guys still get inducted, they're not losing anything nor are you.
KD8LNW
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »

I think Tommy Stinson and Ron Thal are great musicians and have nothing against Axl's backing band but if it were not for the Appetite lineup you would not have your version of GN'R. You can have your version but Guns n Roses was over when Duff and Slash signed there rights of the name to Axl Rose. Let's not forget, they did it for the FANS because if they did not sign Axl was not going to go on and they did not want another riot.

Please don't be naive enough to think that because we support what is happening now we are not aware of the past.

Also, your version of the past is probably from Slash's book or Duff's book or Mike Clink's book or maybe even Tracy and Roberta's book....

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with any book. My very first rock show was Guns opening up for Aerosmith. So sorry to disappoint you.
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:16 PM »

Well said. People are acting like Axl has denied them some sort of golden trinket that they were promised when they bought their first copy of Appetite for Destruction.

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »

You're on a ship, you and your merry gang make it out into the open sea, some people decide to jump and swim to the shore, but they try to sink the ship before leaving, you keep the ship afloat and others come to help you keep it going until you reach a harbor, but on the way you hit a few icebergs.

Did someone just go see Titanic 3-D? hihi

I don't need to see the movie to know that the thing sinks!  Tongue

/jarmo

This is what I picture Axl doing the whole time he is typing/writing/reading that letter. And this is what I'm doing to you right now Jarmo.

Agreed 100%!!!! ok
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with any book. My very first rock show was Guns opening up for Aerosmith. So sorry to disappoint you.

Wow, so you saw the old band, and during the show, you saw Axl tell the band to sign the paper? Sorry to disappoint you, but your logic is distorted. What I meant is your so called "Axl made the band sign over the name and they did it 'for the fans'" is hearsay and not something all of us believe to be true.

i.e.

Sometimes things aren't as simple as they are made out to be in the press.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »

Acknowledging and accepting an honor for "PAST" accomplishments that has nothing to do with the present is another. U don't wanna perform? Fine. U don't wanna take pics, talk, attend.. Fine

I've tried to explain it so many different ways.

Nobody seems to be home....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »

The fact that some people on here and on other threads I see on Facebook and whatnot are taking this so seriously and feel devastated is completely beyond me.  

He is taking the high road and not associating himself with the nonsense and drama surrounding this thing.  GNR is still GNR and still has an upcoming tour and hopefully some more albums to release.  You all need to get past this.  If your "hopes and dreams have really been shattered" then you have been delusional all this time, honestly.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »

I like the current lineup and respect Axl's decision BUT it would have been cool to see him close that chapter of GNR on a high note instead of this.

The way it ended has very little to do with Axl.

I have to disagree with you on that Jarmo. Axl has much to blame as well as Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven for the breakup of the band.  I can't say much about Izzy because he has kept quite but Duff really is the most standup guy out of everyone regarding the Hall of Fame.

Btw, I messed up with quoting you. You quoted too many people on that one post dude, which was tough to edit out.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »

I have to disagree with you on that Jarmo. Axl has much to blame as well as Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven for the breakup of the band.  

I find it a little hard to believe that the others made Steven addicted to drugs, therefore made him impossible to work with and led to him being fired. Thus ending that line up of the band.

Sorry.

/jarmo

JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

I can understand his reasons and respect what he is doing, but I think by Axl doing this it only makes him look bad. I think by attending and accepting the award, it would bring more closure to the past than not showing up at all. Sit at a different table if you are worried about the situation being uncomfortable. Either way, I am still an Axl fan and will go see GN'R anytime they make it my way. Axl, please put out a new cd soon and shutup all the negative people. Keep this current lineup together, it is a special one.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »

I'll give my version of the ship analogy: Axl and the boys built a ship and sailed it around the world, to great acclaim. When the ship hit rocky seas and appeared to be sinking, the rest of the crew jumped ship (I don't believe they tried to sink it). Axl was able to keep it afloat and keep going, even though many think he should have let it sink. Now Axl doesn't feel like celebrating the ship's journey with the people who jumped off when it was stormiest.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »

I would rather Axl "look" bad to some rather than act like a trained monkey who is doing it for a cash grab.  This right here proves he isn't.  I mean, any real fan of his knew this already because he could have had a reunion a long time ago and made tons but there is a reason that chapter was closed and he wants to keep it that way.  It didn't work.  It imploded.  It doesn't even matter WHO is to blame for the breakup.  Axl doesn't want to be a bitter divorcee and go on and on about it (like some do), he wants to move forward while others would like to drag him back to a place he clearly does not want to be.

If you are a fan of his, you will respect his decision.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »

Yeah. I just don't get it.

People seem surprised that Axl makes his own decisions.

That GN'R isn't playing the same game every other band is.

/jarmo

Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »

I don't like his decision, but I have to respect it. It would have been cool to see the original line up play together, even if it was just, "play nice for the cameras". He doesn't owe people anything, but it would have been wild to see the people who made rock history with Appetite together one last time.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »

We know Steven will be there. So it will still be entertaining to watch.  ok

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »

I usually back Axl when he does things like this. I have always "seen things his way". However, "Guns N Roses" is Axl's band and his BRAND. To not show up is fine with me - totally fine. But to flat out refuse to be inducted into the HOF as a member of Guns N' Roses when he is in fact IN Guns N' Roses and owns Guns N' Roses is absurd. It's good for the brand to be in the HOF even though it's BS. This new line-up just now started to get love and respect from the press in 2011/2012. He has just liked that momentum. Why?

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
(paula)
Opening Act

« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:11 PM »

Adler made situation unbearable these past few months. There was too much risk for Axl being around volatile, unpleasant people. It was probably the right decision under the circumstances.

Get ready for Kid Rock singing Paradise City.

Adler deserves a huge amount of blame; his mouth ran over any chance, however slim it was, for these guys to stand on stage together.

Yep, I think he does too. Aargh Kid Rock....

You're disappointed because something the media created didn't actually turn out to happen the way you wanted it to?

I think Steven Adler is holding a candlelight vigil somewhere outside Cleveland tonight, perhaps those other who were disillusioned enough to believe the reunion nonsense can all attend and be together in this time.

Meanwhile, I'll be rocking out to Chinese Democracy and reading about the venues Guns N' Roses will be performing at in 2012.

hihi  The thought of Adler being denied another opportunity to ride Axl's coattails cheers me up a bit.  Wink

I'm an old fan. Like before-a-lot-of-you-were-born old. The nostalgic part of me that still has fond memories of the old band was looking forward to the RRHoF. I adored them (with the exception of Steven, whom I loathe if you couldn't tell  Tongue) and I still keep tabs on what they're up to.

I don't care much about the new GN'R lineup; in fact I wish Axl had called them something else. I have seen them live and they are excellent musicians, and Axl is still the last rock star and one of the most distinctive, powerful vocalists and charismatic frontmen around for my money. But I never thought the new line up deserved a part of this RRHoF business, and I don't get the impression from Axl's letter that he was making any demands in that respect.

It sounds like he was asking for his feelings to be respected when it came to how the ceremony went down. Since he is one of the members most responsible for the music they are being honored for, I think that is fair. If he didn't want to share the stage with Adler, who contributed so little to the band and has taken so much, he shouldn't have had to. Tbh, I'm sort of relieved I don't have to watch Axl up there pretending everything is hunky dory while Adler revels again in a spotlight he doesn't deserve.

That said, I am sorry he won't be there to receive his honor because he deserves it. But if the folks giving the award can't understand where he's coming from or respect his p.o.v. then I guess the honor isn't worth much to him in the end.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: