Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170758 times)
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »

I have to say I was deeply saddened to read Axl?s letter ? and to hear that he changed his mind about attending this once-in-a-lifetime event and accept this incredible honor that allows him to join the best-of-the-best in music history. 

This honor isn?t just some grammy award or rock music award ? where, if you don?t show up this year, there?s always next year. Nope.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime event ? you?re only inducted once - if at all. And if you don?t show up, that moment is gone forever.

Some of the biggest and greatest rockers have talked about the excitement and honor they felt when they were inducted. Alice Cooper, for instance, used to play down the HOF when he was passed over 16 times, but was euphoric when he was finally inducted and admits it was an honor like no other. As Alice described it, he felt he was suddenly in the same ranks of many of his idols and recognized by his peers. ?I?m in that league now, but I don?t feel like I should be because these guys to me were like royalty -  The Stones, the Beatles, the Kinks and the Who. Those were the guys that taught us everything. Now I guess I?m that guy with people like Slipknot and bands like that ? and they?re all my friends,?   Alice said. ?It?s a more humbling experience than an egotistical experience.?

Alice, as many of you know, was good friends with Axl.  He said he can?t imagine Axl and Slash not showing up for this event despite their past differences. ?People can be mad at each other, but when it comes to something like this ? that?s sort of a life-changing thing - you can?t snub your nose at an honor like that ?.. . Even if they don?t talk to each other again for the rest of their lives, for that one night, I think that they would do it.? (He made these comments before Axl?s letter).

Axl seemed genuinely excited and honored when the inductions were announced late last year, and his comments toward Slash had considerably softened, where he appeared cordial and even respectful.  ? So, what ? or who - poisoned his mind about the ceremony between then and now?  And why would anyone, who truly had Axl?s best interest at heart, not encourage him to attend and accept this incredible honor? 

For those who say ? it?s just for the fans. I disagree.   Diehard fans, who have been following the band from day one, have Axl?s best interest at heart.  If they didn?t, they wouldn?t be buying his records, attending his concerts, buying band merch, and posting on forums for years.  And yes, many wanted to share this incredible milestone with Axl by watching him accept this well-deserved award.  Sing or not sing ? that?s his choice. But at least show up on stage to accept the award in front of his peers and fans.

GNR was Axl's baby ? so why wouldn?t he want to be there to accept this highly-coveted award for his talent and influence?  It makes no sense - and may be a decision he lives to regret later.

Peace.

Thanks Madison, for your input.

As always, you know what Axl is thinking, and what he's going to think in the future.

ok

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »

BTW, what is going to happen with Dizzy? I believe he originally confirmed he would be attending. I am sure now that Axl says he is not going means Dizzy is not going either. I think it would be cool if he would go.

The only positive thing I can see is that the rest of the original line up will get up on stage and perform. I think that would make a lot of fans happy to see these guys play even if Axl is not there.

If Axl does not want to go, then thats fine, that is his loss, especially since this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. As a result, the rest of the guys can do whatever they want including getting up there and jamming out with some other guy singing.

destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »

For those of you out there who seem to think this is some sort of "missed opportunity"....

Legends don't play the game to get elected into the hall of fame, they play the game for the love of the game.

The best are those with integrity. Honor. Those who aren't seeking tokens and medals.

Axl didn't record all the music to make the RRHOF. I doubt the thought ever crossed his fucking mind in 1991. This seems to just be a big deal to the last wave of fans who still haven't really let go and fully embraced what the band is today.

And seriously, who the fuck cares what Alice Cooper thinks?

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »

BTW, what is going to happen with Dizzy? I believe he originally confirmed he would be attending. I am sure now that Axl says he is not going means Dizzy is not going either. I think it would be cool if he would go.

The only positive thing I can see is that the rest of the original line up will get up on stage and perform. I think that would make a lot of fans happy to see these guys play even if Axl is not there.

If Axl does not want to go, then thats fine, that is his loss, especially since this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. As a result, the rest of the guys can do whatever they want including getting up there and jamming out with some other guy singing.

Dizzy should go if he wants to regardless of Axl's decision. He is kind of the bridge between the old and new band.

The other original members playing with another singer would be as bad as  Van Halen performing without Eddie. Maybe Paul Shaeffer will sing?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »

I have to say I was deeply saddened to read Axl?s letter ? and to hear that he changed his mind about attending this once-in-a-lifetime event and accept this incredible honor that allows him to join the best-of-the-best in music history. 

I hate to beat a dead horse here... but WHEN did Axl ever say he was going to go?

Huh
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:26 AM »

Dee Snyder just asked Slash about Axl's statement at the Golden God Awards and he said something to the extent of "I'm not going to comment on that but, I'll be there".

Steven is being interviewed now on it. https://www.facebook.com/xbox/app_206157356151293

Edit: Dee just attacked Axl and called GNR "Rose N' Roses" and Steven agreed "it is Rose N' Roses". Dee said anyone who see's Axl's band is a traitor. Steven said something like "when I say it I'm the bad guy". Shows he was never truly remorseful about what he said about the current band.

WTF does Dee Snynder know about anything ?  he has to appear on a certain NBC show, just to be relevant.  Dee wishes he could could tour and put on 3hrs show's like Axl.  #jealousy

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »

Dee Snyder just asked Slash about Axl's statement at the Golden God Awards and he said something to the extent of "I'm not going to comment on that but, I'll be there".

Steven is being interviewed now on it. https://www.facebook.com/xbox/app_206157356151293

Edit: Dee just attacked Axl and called GNR "Rose N' Roses" and Steven agreed "it is Rose N' Roses". Dee said anyone who see's Axl's band is a traitor. Steven said something like "when I say it I'm the bad guy". Shows he was never truly remorseful about what he said about the current band.

WTF does Dee Snynder know about anything ?  he has to appear on a certain NBC show, just to be relevant.  Dee wishes he could could tour and put on 3hrs show's like Axl.  #jealousy

Dee just had trouble doing one song on the Golden Gods. hihi
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »

Axl mentions communication between himself and the HOF in the letter. Sounds like this played a part with him  being a no on attending.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
CoreyRotic007
Opening Act

Resortin' To Violence Since '77

« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:43 AM »

Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout

Heh, you got that right Buddy-boy!

I support all incarnations of GNR, but while the majority of posters in this topic are carrying one-another around on shoulders, popping corks, and singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" because Axl seems to be taking one for the current lineup team, a VERY likely scenario is being overlooked.

He just potentially cut the current lineup off at the knees.

Let me explain...by declining the Rock Hall's induction he may not necessarily mean "Fuck Off", but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are going to be plenty of people within the organization who will take it as "Fuck Off."

Believe me when I tell you that a healthy number of people on the board, the committee and on down the line are industry-professionals (promoters, programmers, publicists, etc...) who might just "respectfully decline" when the current band attempts to book a tour, or release new product, etc. And these types are an 'old boys club' and tend to stick together and certainly don't like wiping egg off of their faces.

Not to mention the fans - who will see this splashed all over the media and likely draw the ol' Prima Donna conclusion - who just may "respectfully decline" to buy tickets and new product.

This has a lot of room to end up 'not great' for the current band, the old band, the new fans, the old fans, or the everything fans all at once.

destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »

Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern

I support all incarnations of GNR, but while the majority of posters in this topic are carrying one-another around on shoulders, popping corks, and singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" because Axl seems to be taking one for the current lineup team, a VERY likely scenario is being overlooked.

Let me explain...by declining the Rock Hall's induction he may not necessarily mean "Fuck Off", but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are going to be plenty of people within the organization who will take it as "Fuck Off."

Believe me when I tell you that a healthy number of people on the board, the committee and on down the line are industry-professionals (promoters, programmers, publicists, etc...) who might just "respectfully decline" when the current band attempts to book a tour, or release new product, etc. And these types are an 'old boys club' and tend to stick together and certainly don't like wiping egg off of their faces.

Not to mention the fans - who will see this splashed all over the media and likely draw the ol' Prima Donna conclusion - who just may "respectfully decline" to buy tickets and new product.

This has a lot of room to end up 'not great' for the current band, the old band, the new fans, the old fans, or the everything fans all at once.

Cool story, bro. How about YOU keep doubting Axl and the boys and THEY kick the fuck out Europe this summer?

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »

As posted on another forum:

All the outrage over Axl's decision (and letter) is one of the funniest things I've seen on these boards in a while. All the holier than thou, hypocritical backlash is really a sight to behold. Let's see, where to begin:

Axl had four "realistic" options, with four virtually identical sets of consequences:

-Say nothing, don't show up. Consequence: "they" call Axl a bitter, childish asshole who doesn't even respect "the fans" enough to let them know he won't be attending or why; same old, same old, Axl never communicates, people would be more accepting of his actions/choices if he had the common courtesy to explain things once in a while. The same people would either completely ignore the fact that Izzy didn't show up without saying anything, or simply write it off as "Izzy being Izzy"

-Show up, don't perform. Consequence: "they" say that Axl is a bitter, childish asshole who couldn't set aside his "petty grudges" for 15 minutes to perform with the old band; only showed up because he couldn't stand to see the old band collect accolades that he believes belong to him

-Show up, perform. Consequence: "they" would not be placated. While "they" claim that all they're asking/hoping for is for Axl to set aside his "petty grudges" for 15 minutes to perform with the old band, the moment Axl did it, that wouldn't be enough. "They" haven't gotten the message that Axl has stated very clearly for many years on the times he has spoken publicly: that he doesn't want a reunion. "They" would use this one off event as evidence of how "amazing" a reunion would be. "They" would be even more vocal than "they" already are about how Axl should ditch the new band and do a full blown reunion. "They" would call Axl a bitter, childish asshole for not "giving the fans what they want" and doing a full blown reunion.

-Don't show up, explain why. Consequence: you guessed it. "They" are calling Axl a bitter, childish asshole who is ruining it for the fans. And by writing a letter, he's simply proving that he's a drama queen who needs to make it all about him, all the time; "they" are saying it would be more respectable if, like Izzy, he just didn't say anything at all and didn't show up (yes, these are the same people who constantly complain about his "lack of communication" with the fans).

Let's face it: there was nothing Axl could do to placate 95% of the people who are pissed off. "They" would be right back to bitching relentlessly about everything he did within a month or two, regardless of his decision, unless his decision was to disintegrate the new band and do a reunion. That's it. That's the only thing that would truly satisfy them and there's no way in hell that was going to happen.

Then let's get to the levels of hypocrisy displayed by 95% of the people who are irate that Axl isn't showing up. "They" like to say that Axl is childish, petty, etc. Yet "they're" reacting like a bunch of 14 year olds who just got dumped for the first time, calling Axl names, saying that "they'll" never support anything Axl does again and boycotting all future shows, selling their tickets, etc. Essentially acting like Axl personally came and took a dump on their living room floor because he won't show up at an event and hang out with people that he doesn't like or want to associate with, just so "they" can get 10 or 15 minutes of enjoyment.

"Why can't Axl just show up and play 2 or 3 songs with the original lineup"

Why can't "they" just get over it? I guess "they" don't realize the irony of spewing so much venom at someone for not doing what "they" want, and calling that person pathetic and childish, when "they" are absolutely livid and whining as though Axl has ruined their life/hopes/dreams by not showing up and putting on a forced performance for a few minutes at an awards show. Pretty laughable, actually. Needless to say it's been an entertaining day on the Guns boards.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »

So you're saying that by declining to show up to an event that he is fucking over the current lineup?

The current lineup that just sold out shows and played all across the USA and North America to large crowds - off the heels of a very successful tour?

I think that the facts are on paper, the current lineup of GNR sell EXTREMELY well as evidence by the kick-ass tour they just got done being a part of!
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:05 AM »

Someone did something to piss Axl off in the last few days. I am certain of this. I never once expected him to play with Slash and co at the HOF. I never once expected him to re-unite for a tour with classic GNR. I really didn't expect him to show up at the HOF at all. My problem is the damage he just did to 10 years of hard work pushing the current GNR by publishing this silly letter and refusing the honor of being inducted. I just don't see the strategy here at all. If he would have said nothing and done nothing and let it happen without him he'd be way better off. How does this help current GNR or what is the point? Just in bad taste imo. Not sexy.

People who resent him for simply not doing a reunion tour with classic line-up are stupid and immature - fuck'em! But how could this letter he wrote excite or open anyones mind to checking out the current GNR? It doesn't.

There is more to this story for sure.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

As posted on another forum:

All the outrage over Axl's decision (and letter) is one of the funniest things I've seen on these boards in a while. All the holier than thou, hypocritical backlash is really a sight to behold. Let's see, where to begin:

Axl had four "realistic" options, with four virtually identical sets of consequences:

-Say nothing, don't show up. Consequence: "they" call Axl a bitter, childish asshole who doesn't even respect "the fans" enough to let them know he won't be attending or why; same old, same old, Axl never communicates, people would be more accepting of his actions/choices if he had the common courtesy to explain things once in a while. The same people would either completely ignore the fact that Izzy didn't show up without saying anything, or simply write it off as "Izzy being Izzy"

-Show up, don't perform. Consequence: "they" say that Axl is a bitter, childish asshole who couldn't set aside his "petty grudges" for 15 minutes to perform with the old band; only showed up because he couldn't stand to see the old band collect accolades that he believes belong to him

-Show up, perform. Consequence: "they" would not be placated. While "they" claim that all they're asking/hoping for is for Axl to set aside his "petty grudges" for 15 minutes to perform with the old band, the moment Axl did it, that wouldn't be enough. "They" haven't gotten the message that Axl has stated very clearly for many years on the times he has spoken publicly: that he doesn't want a reunion. "They" would use this one off event as evidence of how "amazing" a reunion would be. "They" would be even more vocal than "they" already are about how Axl should ditch the new band and do a full blown reunion. "They" would call Axl a bitter, childish asshole for not "giving the fans what they want" and doing a full blown reunion.

-Don't show up, explain why. Consequence: you guessed it. "They" are calling Axl a bitter, childish asshole who is ruining it for the fans. And by writing a letter, he's simply proving that he's a drama queen who needs to make it all about him, all the time; "they" are saying it would be more respectable if, like Izzy, he just didn't say anything at all and didn't show up (yes, these are the same people who constantly complain about his "lack of communication" with the fans).

Let's face it: there was nothing Axl could do to placate 95% of the people who are pissed off. "They" would be right back to bitching relentlessly about everything he did within a month or two, regardless of his decision, unless his decision was to disintegrate the new band and do a reunion. That's it. That's the only thing that would truly satisfy them and there's no way in hell that was going to happen.

Then let's get to the levels of hypocrisy displayed by 95% of the people who are irate that Axl isn't showing up. "They" like to say that Axl is childish, petty, etc. Yet "they're" reacting like a bunch of 14 year olds who just got dumped for the first time, calling Axl names, saying that "they'll" never support anything Axl does again and boycotting all future shows, selling their tickets, etc. Essentially acting like Axl personally came and took a dump on their living room floor because he won't show up at an event and hang out with people that he doesn't like or want to associate with, just so "they" can get 10 or 15 minutes of enjoyment.

"Why can't Axl just show up and play 2 or 3 songs with the original lineup"

Why can't "they" just get over it? I guess "they" don't realize the irony of spewing so much venom at someone for not doing what "they" want, and calling that person pathetic and childish, when "they" are absolutely livid and whining as though Axl has ruined their life/hopes/dreams by not showing up and putting on a forced performance for a few minutes at an awards show. Pretty laughable, actually. Needless to say it's been an entertaining day on the Guns boards.

If there was some sort of here today gone to hell hall of fame for posts that make the most sense, this would be inducted. And no one would give a fuck if you showed up, btw.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2012, 12:40:50 AM »

Not wanting to be inducted makes me think the powers that be at the R+RHOF tried to call the shots on things Axl was not down with. I could be totally wrong but thats the impression I get.

And good point by the poster above. If Axl showed up, graciously accepted, smiled a lot, etc. Would mainstream rock people or casual GNR fans care?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:43:16 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
GNRBABY
Rocker

« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2012, 12:44:33 AM »

Not wanting to be inducted makes me think the powers that be at the R+RHOF tried to call the shots on things Axl was not down with. I could be totally wrong but thats the impression I get.

And good point to the poster above. If Axl showed up, graciously accepted, smiled a lot, etc. Would mainstream rock people or casual GNR fans care?

I think you're right. Someone pissed him off somehow. We'll soon know what happened, but the rest of the world won't no

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »

And good point to the poster above. If Axl showed up, graciously accepted, smiled a lot, etc. Would mainstream rock people or casual GNR fans care?

I think you're right. Someone pissed him off somehow. We'll soon know what happened, but the rest of the world won't no

Especially if the Hall goes through with inducting Axl when he declined it... it will be interesting Saturday to see what happens.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »

So you're saying that by declining to show up to an event that he is fucking over the current lineup?

The current lineup that just sold out shows and played all across the USA and North America to large crowds - off the heels of a very successful tour?

I think that the facts are on paper, the current lineup of GNR sell EXTREMELY well as evidence by the kick-ass tour they just got done being a part of!

Don't forget the great fan reviews left on Ticketmaster.  Say what you will about Axl, he's done something no one in music has done before.  He has rebulit a band, basically from scratch and now their reaping the benefits.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »

I would like to know what would have been acceptable for Axl. What would he have been ok with at th HOF and what was the straw that broke the camels back.

We know he was not going to perform so it cannot be that. Was it sitting next to Slash? What could have been so bad now that caused this reaction.

He seemed like he was really into it when he was interviewed by Eddie Teunk.
GNRBABY
Rocker

« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:56 AM »

Don't forget the great fan reviews left on Ticketmaster.  Say what you will about Axl, he's done something no one in music has done before.  He has rebulit a band, basically from scratch and now their reaping the benefits.

Yes that is all true and he just fucked all that momentum today.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: