Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170752 times)
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #420 on: April 12, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »

I don't blame him for not wanting to go with all the back and forth that's been going on. I was dreading how it would play out if he did show up. People have to realize what an awkward and uncomfortable situation that is for him. An event like that should be a celebration and not something you dread.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #421 on: April 12, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »

This is a good, fair post.  I see where you're coming from.  I def prefer AFD and also can listen to GnR without comparing eras.  Enjoy the music, as you say.  That said, I just don't see how showing up to accept an award would affect the new lineup except in Axl's mind and to the folks on here who somehow think it would destroy the new lineup or take away from what they've done.  There will always be ppl who want to see the original lineup - same with Pink Floyd, Van Halen, and tons of other bands.  So what.  Saying thanks to the fans, accepting an honor for one of the greatest albums ever recorded, is that really going to take away from the current lineup?  The other original members have their own projects.  Will going here detract from Slash's solo stuff or the neverending quest for a VR singer or Duff's Loaded?  No.  

I still think that the GnR name is bigger than any other ex-members project. At least to me.
Maybe I'm wrong as far as VR or Loaded fans are concerned. Can't talk on their behalf.

I think or better said, assume, that Axl may have taken it into consideration to go up there and accept the award.
But I think that someone like Steven would have used that chance for sure of talking directly about a reunion and that they were the best and bla bla bla.
Axl always lived his life and got bashed for it a couple of times. Even to me it was sometimes weird and not understandable.
Others say that about my behavior too :p
Do what you like and whenever you like it.

The point that I think is the most important one about lineups and stuff is the chemistry on stage.
From my point of view it's the best we ever had right now.
It would for sure jeopardize some of it if Steven or anyone else came up with reunion wishes right at a ceremony where an old but very successful lineup is honored while the GnR band is still touring and doing it well.
And since the camp ain't so much of press-focused the media gathers attention by pulling stories out of their asses just to get more clicks or sales numbers no matter how true they might be.

Stay out of the spotlights is by far the best Axl can do.

I think the stage chemistry is only one part of it. The chemistry you have when you record is the biggie. I dont think an album like Chinese Democracy allowed for that to happen. Too many people playing too many parts. I would love to see what the current lineup could come up with chemistry wise in the studio. Not having different people playing on different songs.
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #422 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »

Axl promised nobody anything.

And I agree with him. IF GNR were to be inducted AND perform : it should contain every member of the current lineup.

Lets look at the length of time people have been in GNR
Axl - 27 years
Dizzy - 21 years
Tommy - 14 years
Pitman - 12 years
Fortus - 10 years
Bumble - 7 years
Frank - 6 years
DJ - 3 years

And how long have the ex-members been in the band?
Duff - 12 years
Slash - 10 years
Robin - 9 years
Izzy - 5 years
Josh - 5 years
Brain - 5 years
Matt - 5 years
Adler - 5 years
Buckethead - 4 years
Gilby - 3 years

Fairly disrespectful to the current band, and their work, to invite the former members and not them. It's "Damned If You Do / Damned If You Don't". All those whining pussies upset that Axl won't be their bitch and sing the old songs with guys who haven't been in the band for over 20 years? Get over it. It'll never be 1991 again.

Yes, the current lineup is a better band.

Axl may use too many words, and talk like someone who has spent a little too long in therapy sometimes, but this is a decision that commands respect for the courage to stand up to others expectations and the integrity that it brings.

I dont think how many years you have been in the band should play a roll. In all seriousness do you think anyone in the current band would even accept the honor? I wouldnt think so from the few comments some members have made. I think they know that it isnt their contribution that got them inducted. I personally think the new guitarist in Chili Peppers cheapins the whole hall of fame anyway. He has no business being inducted & if he had any integrity would be the one writing the letter asking not to be recognized.

Anyways I could care less that Axl doesnt want to be apart of this. I love the guys in the band currently & really only wanted to see the "reunion" so I could finally see Izzy live.

Without the current band there would be no GNR. No tour. No records. Nothing. The current lineup have kept the GNR vision and flame burning. Axl has shown integrity and strength by refusing to do what is expected of him, and by standing by his band which is loyal and strong. They may not have been there at the start - show me one band that has had the same lineup in 30 years apart from U2 - but this band is here now and keeping the GNR name and legacy alive and doing a damn good job of it. To only induct the 1987-93 lineup would be an insult to those who have kept GNR alive since then.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »

And I don't know why any GN'R fan would imagine their desire to see the band on stage should be more important than Axl's own wishes in this matter. 

Sorry - I don't know Axl. Don't know Slash. Don't know Buckethead. Don't know Bumblefoot. Don't know DJ Ashba, etc etc etc.  They may be good people, bad people... who knows and frankly, I don't care.  Just like I don't know Michael Jordan or Mike Tyson or Floyd Mayweather or Jon Bones Jones.  As a consumer of entertainment, I like to watch them perform.  I enjoy their work.   Absolutely my desires to see Axl at the RRHOF is more important than Axl's wishes, to me.  And that's how the majority of ppl feel if you read Yahoo comments, read Rolling Stone comments, etc.  There is obviously a group of fans on here that will always defend Axl's actions to the death, no matter what he says or does.  I never understood this, with him or any entertainer.  We don't know these ppl.  We love and appreciate their work and creativity.  If Axl was a lousy singer/songwriter, this board wouldn't exist and no one would know him.  We know these guys for their talents and the music they've created.  So yes, it is absolutely more important to me, as someone who wants to hear Axl sing/ perform  that he attends the RRHOF.  Call it selfish.  It's reality.  

You say you love and appreciate Axl's work and creativity, well just how much of this do you think you'd get to experience if he wasted his energy trying to please the selfish whims of fans? I doubt there's one of us on here who truly understands how much of his soul he's had to pour into rebuilding GN'R into the musical monster it is today. Some of us appreciate everything he's done to enable us to still be able to go to a Guns show in the 21st century and, yes, you know what, it includes respecting decisions he makes for himself and on behalf of GN'R, even when they may not accord with what we'd personally like to see or hear.

I don't often read the comments on the websites you mention because I get sick of reading the views of people who think the world revolves around them and half the time are too lazy to even bother to string a coherent sentence together. As you say yourself, your attitude is selfish and, to be honest, if I were in Axl's shoes, the more so-called fans demanded their needs be met, the less inclined I'd be to please them.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #424 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last day. I don't fault Axl at all for his decision to reject the induction into the Hall of Fame and not attend. However, I do wish he would have communicated more with his own fans about his feelings on this, whatever they were, much earlier than three days before the event.

I actually don't believe any GNR fans really care much about the Hall of Fame. The induction itself doesn't really MEAN anything that any rational human being can wrap his head around. Duff discussed this as well in his letter. Music is an art - there are no statistics, or championships, or anything like that. I do believe that this entire thing held very little power until Axl gave it power by talking about being honored and not wanting to ruin the fun for anyone, etc. Really, if Axl had said in an interview back when they were inducted that the entire thing was going to just be too uncomfortable for him to deal with and he didn't really care about the HOF anyway - I really think there would have been very limited backlash - at least from his fans that know where he has stood on the old band historically. That would have been expected from him and completely understandable for anyone that has followed him through the years. GNR fans would have, for the most part, forgotten about the whole HOF thing as anything but a side note in the history of this band. All of the drama of "will they or won't they" that built up over the months and reached a peak this week resulted from that one interview with Axl talking about not wanting to ruin anyones fun and how bad it is when people don't properly accept their awards - and the silence that came from him for all of the months afterwards.

During that time fans of Axl were left with no communication and had to make guesses on their own. Some booked trips from as far as Australia based on him talking about not wanting to ruin anyone's fun, being honored, and wanting to properly accept this honor. These are people, like myself, who support Axl, looked at this, and thought - "well I don't really give a shit about the HOF, but if Axl is honored and going there to accept - I will go and support him." I don't think anyone had any right to expect a reunion performance or anything, but the best information Axl had given any of his fans was that he was planning on attending to accept and that if we went - we would be able to be there to support him in what he considered to be an honor.

At the same time, I realize that one of the reasons we love Axl is for his unique Axl ways of dealing with the world. Axl comes with a lack of communication, last minute cancellations, and a VERY strong will. Anyone buying a ticket to anything related to Axl knows that anything can happen. I do think that, for his own sake, he could communicate a touch better with HIS fans (the people who support him through everything he has done - not just the classic GNR lineup) so that situations like a Chinese Democracy fan in Australia flying to Cleveland to show his support to Axl specifically - just do not happen. He doesn't owe us anything as fans, but he could look out for those of us who want to support him in the things he chooses to do and not do a bit better.

The backlash I have seen from casual fans and friends on this last minute decision has been strong (which Axl himself seemed to realize was going to be the case). This is particularly the case from casual fans I know that bought a ticket for this - not expecting a reunion - but hoping to see Axl in person, support him, and hear from him. I plan on having a blast this weekend. There is so much to look forward to with all of this, but I definitely enter the weekend with mixed feelings on how Axl handled this situation for his own fans and supporters. Surprised? Not at all. Disappointed in how this was handled? Yes.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #425 on: April 12, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »

Well would you really expect them to induct every and all 20- some members that have ever been?

Did I say that?

Nobody is really saying they shouldn't induct this guy and induct that guy, because it's a difficult call to make. But it sure is weird....

/jarmo

Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.

But when Axl says that in the letter, it's tough to draw any other conclusion than that he has some issue with who is being inducted and possibly who is not.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #426 on: April 12, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »

how sad.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #427 on: April 12, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »

It's amusing when some assume that just because you understand and support Axl's decision, you automatically hate the old band.

If it doesn't feel like it's for you. Why do it? To please others? To make others happy for a day? Well, you could.
But if you think the price is too high? Who are you to say what somebody else should do for you?

eh, Jarmo turned on his twisting mode again.

I just don't get it. If you ignore doing interviews and touring for years and then don't say a word about some award that obviously means a lot to many fans, it's ok.
If you take a break from doing interviews, it's not ok. If you give interviews and also explain your decision, it's not ok because your answer wasn't what people thought you would say.

You make no sense to me.

/jarmo

Me neither, it makes no sense really. & Now, I am so unfortunate, I just have to just stay home and listen to my Will Smith cd. 
Some people are so afraid that they need to please others and not get rejected. Others are not this way.
Maybe some people really need to get used to it. Like this decade. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:44:25 PM by 3STRANG3D » Logged

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »

But when Axl says that in the letter, it's tough to draw any other conclusion than that he has some issue with who is being inducted and possibly who is not.

He's in the band. It's his right to feel that way.

Like some of us tried to explain, why is it weird if that bothers Axl?

He's spent the last 15+ years building things up from nothing, but he gets no respect for that. None.

Personally I think it's sad to see.

Just like so many "old fans" get upset because they claim the old band is disrespected whenever Axl says something.

They get upset and claim the old band is disrespected any time you support GN'R in 2012, yet many of them have no respect for what Axl and the band has done since the former members decided to quit.

And then they get angry when Axl doesn't please their needs at this show...  Huh

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
StardustGirl
Headliner

And though as long as this road seems...

« Reply #429 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »

I do believe that this entire thing held very little power until Axl gave it power by talking about being honored and not wanting to ruin the fun for anyone, etc. Really, if Axl had said in an interview back when they were inducted that the entire thing was going to just be too uncomfortable for him to deal with and he didn't really care about the HOF anyway - I really think there would have been very limited backlash - at least from his fans that know where he has stood on the old band historically.

him talking about not wanting to ruin anyone's fun, being honored, and wanting to properly accept this honor.

Just a few thoughts... Perhaps Axl really wanted to find a solution that he could live with and tried for the longest time to make an arrangement so that he could attend but in the end found that there was no way to make it work and decided it was best he did not attend after all.

As for accepting the honor properly, I feel it indicates that he did not want the ceremony spoiled by anyone's behavior and perhaps not attending is one way of ensuring there is less chance for incidents.  

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #430 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

What a bunch of bullshit.

If Axl doesn't wanna go and smile for the cameras at the RNRHOF so some of you get your photo of the "reunion", he shouldn't play any old songs?

WTF.

How about all the guys who QUIT the band stop playing the GN'R songs? Isn't that fair to ask? They wanted nothing to do with GN'R and left. Why are they playing the songs? Oh wait, that's not a problem!

I still think it's ironic that the so called fans from the old days seem to be the most clueless on how Axl and GN'R conduct themselves.

I guess somewhere along the line, GN'R started doing everything the establishment asked them to do? Axl would allow himself to be ambushed into playing ball so the RNRHOF gets the publicity of the magical reunion?

If you believe all this, you're unfortunately been living under a rock for quite some time, or just live in your own fantasy world.

I guess these same people now expect Izzy to show up and sing. Until they're told "I'm not sure he will show up..."

/jarmo

It would be ridiculous for any ex-member to be told not to preform songs they helped write. I will agree with Axl he was screwed in the scenario no matter what... But I wonder did he choose a road that will provide more criticism? In business perception is reality no matter what the actual truths are or arent. Axl is going to be criticized because people's perception is the band they fell in love with is "no longer" because of Axl, not saying that is true just most people's perception. Not showing  up to accept an award based on achievements made by said band only makes things worse in those people/ fan's eyes. If Axl is the only member that doesnt show it will make things even worse for him. Again not saying either way is right or wrong. He gave his side I respect it but dont expect the masses to
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #431 on: April 12, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

He's in the band. It's his right to feel that way.

/jarmo

It's absolutely his right to feel that way. And I respect what he has accomplished with the new band. But did he expect that the HOF would allow him to personally pick and choose who went in and who didn't? That's just not reasonable.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #432 on: April 12, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »

They're not going to read his letter at the ceremony are they -- it isn't going to go down like that?

Hall of Fame to induct Axl Rose - whether he likes it or not

Official statement extends apology but says ceremony will still go ahead

http://www.gigwise.com/news/72168/Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-Axl-Rose---whether-he-likes-it-or-not

Jann Wenner inducts Sex Pistols Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdnQEQhDzUc

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »

It would be ridiculous for any ex-member to be told not to preform songs they helped write.

Of course it's ridiculous.

But why is it not ridiculous to post shit like "If he doesn't wanna go accept the induction, he shouldn't play the old songs!"?

I will agree with Axl he was screwed in the scenario no matter what... But I wonder did he choose a road that will provide more criticism? In business perception is reality no matter what the actual truths are or arent. Axl is going to be criticized because people's perception is the band they fell in love with is "no longer" because of Axl, not saying that is true just most people's perception. Not showing  up to accept an award based on achievements made by said band only makes things worse in those people/ fan's eyes. If Axl is the only member that doesnt show it will make things even worse for him. Again not saying either way is right or wrong. He gave his side I respect it but dont expect the masses to

Whatever Axl does, it will be criticized.

Can't please everybody. Why bother trying?

The thing Axl did, and always has, is that he made his decision and kept his integrity.

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one." - Scarface

But did he expect that the HOF would allow him to personally pick and choose who went in and who didn't? That's just not reasonable.

Is it more reasonable that they pick and decide? Considering the fact that the band still exists.

These same people have in the past thought other people were worthy. People who had joined successful bands but weren't members when the bands first got popular.

Nobody's saying all the band members who worked in GN'R since 1996 need to be inducted. That's just people being silly and trying to ridicule the idea of having some kind of dialogue.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:09:54 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »

They're not going to read his letter at the ceremony are they -- it isn't going to go down like that?

Hall of Fame to induct Axl Rose - whether he likes it or not

Official statement extends apology but says ceremony will still go ahead

http://www.gigwise.com/news/72168/Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-Axl-Rose---whether-he-likes-it-or-not

Jann Wenner inducts Sex Pistols Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdnQEQhDzUc

I think they read the Sex Pistols letter because it defined their anti-everything stance on society and was funny and somewhat endearing, in a weird way. They won't do the same with Axl's letter since it can be taken much more seriously.

Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #435 on: April 12, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »

The comments section on the official facebook page is disgusting.

These guys aren't fans at all, they want it their way, and if they don't get it, they act like little babies. Hopefully Axl's decision will "spring clean" these assholes from the GN'R fan base, they're obviously not happy, so piss off, you're not wanted either.

There isn't going to be a reunion, you've had ample warning of this, it shouldn't be a surprise to any of you.

GN'R is Axl, Bumble, Dj, Chris, Dizzy, Fortus, Tommy and Frank... if you don't like that, GTFO, get a fucking life, and stop hating. It's not like the classic lineup have retired, they're all out there doing their own thing, go and listen to that! This isn't "The X Factor", your "dream" of seeing the original lineup play together for one last time, doesn't mean shit.  You're not owed anything. "The fans" didn't put Axl where he is today, his talent did, you went to the shows and bought the records for YOURSELF, because YOU enjoyed them.  Axl isn't the selfish one here, it's his fair weather fan base, he deserves better.

And for the record the Rock N' Roll all of fame is a piece of shit, there isn't anything "rock n' roll" about it.

Here's to the European tour!  beer

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #436 on: April 12, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »

Just a few thoughts... Perhaps Axl really wanted to find a solution that he could live with and tried for the longest time to make an arrangement so that he could attend but in the end found that there was no way to make it work and decided it was best he did not attend after all.

But then I have to ask - what arrangement could have been made that would have allowed him to go, that he was denied.  He said in the letter that not only did he not make any demands of the HOF - he didn't even make any requests.  If he had an arrangement in mind that would have allowed him to attend, and they were not interested in that - I would be interested in knowing that.  However, the HOF can't read minds any better than I can.  If he says he didn't make any requests of them, I have to take him at his word.  If that is the case I don't know how they could have done anything to make things work for him.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »

This letter is inconsistant to say the least. Methinks Axl doth protest too much, as often.
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »

This letter is inconsistant to say the least. Methinks Axl doth protest too much, as often.

What's "inconsistant" about it?

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »

The comments section on the official facebook page is disgusting.

These guys aren't fans at all, they want it their way, and if they don't get it, they act like little babies. Hopefully Axl's decision will "spring clean" these assholes from the GN'R fan base, they're obviously not happy, so piss off, you're not wanted either.

There isn't going to be a reunion, you've had ample warning of this, it shouldn't be a surprise to any of you.

GN'R is Axl, Bumble, Dj, Chris, Dizzy, Fortus, Tommy and Frank... if you don't like that, GTFO, get a fucking life, and stop hating. It's not like the classic lineup have retired, they're all out there doing their own thing, go and listen to that! This isn't "The X Factor", your "dream" of seeing the original lineup play together for one last time, doesn't mean shit.  You're not owed anything. "The fans" didn't put Axl where he is today, his talent did, you went to the shows and bought the records for YOURSELF, because YOU enjoyed them.  Axl isn't the selfish one here, it's his fair weather fan base, he deserves better.

And for the record the Rock N' Roll all of fame is a piece of shit, there isn't anything "rock n' roll" about it.

Here's to the European tour!  beer

This post is so well said, especially the part in bold.

These people running there mouths on GNR's official facebook aren't the people who were attending the shows over the last 10 years, they are the people who've been living on blabbermouths lies and other websites propaganda for years...

I don't care if you fucking get drunk every night and listen to AFD... that's cool man, just get the fuck out of the way of Chinese Democracy. You can stay in the past and sit quietly while Guns N' Roses lives in the NOW.

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: