Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170761 times)
JSMastro
Opening Act

« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »

I literally applaud him for having the courage to take a stand for what he believes in.  Would it have been kinda cool?  Maybe.  But I LOVE the current lineup, and always that it would be ridiculously awkward if he were to get up there with the old lineup.  This removes the awkwardness.  Proud of Axl.  

On a related note, this was a hot topic at home last night.  My wife & kids are vegetarians, and I am not.  So, let's say that The Obamas invite us to a State Dinner at The White House (free of charge), and are serving chicken or steak.  I myself may be thrilled to go, but know that the rest of my clan cannot/will not eat meat and feel uncomfortable about the invitation knowing what is being offered.  But The White house says "No, we're inviting you, it's a free dinner, and you will eat what we are cooking whether you like it or not!"  Why should anyone in this world have to compromise their values or integrity for someone else?  It's absurd...

"Some things would be better if we'd all just let them be..."  
SirTed
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think Axl handled this deftly.

That's not to say that I'm happy about it. To me, it's sad. I didn't really have hopes and aspirations of a full on reunion tour but I thought it might be cool if the fellas put all their shit aside for one day.

Without question there is WAAAAY more to this than any fan could understand and so I respect his decision. I'm sure he has his reasons.

But I just want to say that I think Axl has become a lot better of a communicator with his open letters and general communication through the media.

I haven't check any boards anywhere, and haven't heard one thing or another but I have a hard time imagining that anyone (who isn't an internet troll) criticizing his decision based on the way he explained it. Good job, Axl.

ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »

It would be ridiculous for any ex-member to be told not to preform songs they helped write.

Of course it's ridiculous.

But why is it not ridiculous to post shit like "If he doesn't wanna go accept the induction, he shouldn't play the old songs!"?

I will agree with Axl he was screwed in the scenario no matter what... But I wonder did he choose a road that will provide more criticism? In business perception is reality no matter what the actual truths are or arent. Axl is going to be criticized because people's perception is the band they fell in love with is "no longer" because of Axl, not saying that is true just most people's perception. Not showing  up to accept an award based on achievements made by said band only makes things worse in those people/ fan's eyes. If Axl is the only member that doesnt show it will make things even worse for him. Again not saying either way is right or wrong. He gave his side I respect it but dont expect the masses to

Whatever Axl does, it will be criticized.

Can't please everybody. Why bother trying?

The thing Axl did, and always has, is that he made his decision and kept his integrity.

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one." - Scarface

But did he expect that the HOF would allow him to personally pick and choose who went in and who didn't? That's just not reasonable.

Is it more reasonable that they pick and decide? Considering the fact that the band still exists.

These same people have in the past thought other people were worthy. People who had joined successful bands but weren't members when the bands first got popular.

Nobody's saying all the band members who worked in GN'R since 1996 need to be inducted. That's just people being silly and trying to ridicule the idea of having some kind of dialogue.

/jarmo

I agree 100% its ridiculous for anyone to say Axl shouldn't perform old songs regardless of his decision with the HOF. You're right Axl has always done things his way.He did not air dirty laundry in the press. Some will say that is respectful and admirable others might say its stubbornness. I dont know Axl or know what the guy goes through so it is not up to me or anyone to judge him. We can not like his decision and choose not buy his music or attend his shows but we cannot control the way he runs his business.  I wish him only the best as all current and ex members and hope he continues to perform and make music. Ive seen GnR 3 time since Oct and took my 9 YO to a show. Memories I will always cherish. And next month I will see Slash and hope to one day see Loaded
destry rides again
Global Moderator
Rocker

to find my wooden leg

« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »

This is for all you motherfucking reunion wanting, past living, axl bashing bastards

http://youtu.be/5FTjgRr_jdE

Take a minute to listen to the lyrics. Especially the chorus. Perhaps it will make you feel better.

smoking

04/16/93 11/27/02 12/05/02 12/06/02x 05/12/06 05/15/06 05/17/06 11/05/06 11/10/06 11/13/06 02/11/10 11/17/11 11/19/11 11/20/11 11/26/11 02/10/12 02/12/12 2/15/12 2/24/12 2/27/12 6/5/13 6/6/13
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »

I'll tell you one thing, those who are still hanging around  for a reunion, THIS should really be it for you.  I know the Hall of Fame thing was in the back of everyone's mind for the last 15 years or so as the night where it was still possible, but if it isn't happening this weekend, its pretty safe to say it never will.

Good news though, in case you haven't noticed, and judging by some of the posts I've read, you havent, GNR are still  a very active band that still puts out music and tours and everything.....

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »

I'm with Axl on this one... he shouldn't reunite with Slash and co. just to satisfy his fans. They have a personal background and he has to do what he feels authentic for himself. I wouldn't like to see him in an awkward situation and having a bad time because of fan's stupid demands.

Plus Axl doesn't need a ceremony... He already has millions of fans loving and respecting Guns N' Roses.

AFD is a perfect and unique rock jewel, made by 5 people. Even Axl congratulates his old bandmates. But they are human beings and they got their problems... past doesn't change

And thanks god, this is a very Axl Rose attitude to face this situation  hihi peace THANK YOUUUUU
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:26:52 PM by Aero » Logged

Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

This is for all you motherfucking reunion wanting, past living, axl bashing bastards

http://youtu.be/5FTjgRr_jdE

Take a minute to listen to the lyrics. Especially the chorus. Perhaps it will make you feel better.

smoking

Nice, very apt!

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
new gnr fan
Headliner

« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

I think, the HOF expected something else from Axl, maybe that he see the induction as a chance, to heal the wounds. But what they did not expect is that he has strong principles, which he would never betray.
The HOF have nothing from these properties. They are just commerce, not more.
I bet, they would say "Wow, Buckethead, what a guitar hero, he needs to be inducted", if he would have the same success as Slash. And that is WRONG!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:30:59 PM by new gnr fan » Logged

枪和玫瑰 中國民主
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

I think, the HOF expected something else from Axl, maybe that he see the induction as a chance, to heal the wounds.

The HOF expected the reunion as a chance to earn tons of money...

StardustGirl
Headliner

And though as long as this road seems...

« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »

Just a few thoughts... Perhaps Axl really wanted to find a solution that he could live with and tried for the longest time to make an arrangement so that he could attend but in the end found that there was no way to make it work and decided it was best he did not attend after all.

But then I have to ask - what arrangement could have been made that would have allowed him to go, that he was denied.  He said in the letter that not only did he not make any demands of the HOF - he didn't even make any requests.  If he had an arrangement in mind that would have allowed him to attend, and they were not interested in that - I would be interested in knowing that.  However, the HOF can't read minds any better than I can.  If he says he didn't make any requests of them, I have to take him at his word.  If that is the case I don't know how they could have done anything to make things work for him.

To quote the man himself: "Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out" and "Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around" imply that there was an intent to attend, but no good solution was found.

"The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba" would seem to suggest there have been demands of a reunion, but Axl chooses the current band over something that existed in the past.

"There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities" in my opinion refer to people trying to make cash with the reunion, something that obviously ain't pleasing Axl (and thank God for that).

"Maybe if it were you it'd be different. Maybe you'd do it for this reason or that. Peace, whatever. I love our band now. We're there for each other when the going get's rough. We love our fans and work to give them every ounce of energy and heart we can" pretty much says it all in my opinion.

And last but not least: "But hey if ya gotta then maybe we can get the "no show, grandstanding, publicity stunt, disrespectful, he doesn't care about the fans" crap out of the way as quickly as we can and let's move on."  

Too bad people don't seem to comprehend a thing they read, plain and clear.

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
new gnr fan
Headliner

« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »

I think, the HOF expected something else from Axl, maybe that he see the induction as a chance, to heal the wounds.

The HOF expected the reunion as a chance to earn tons of money...

Yeah, and that  hihi Man, i hate those awards...

枪和玫瑰 中國民主
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »

For those waiting for the reunion, what have you done that makes Axl owe you to reunite with the former members?

You've been a fan for a long time so it's your right to decide who works with who and who should spend their time with who?

You've spent a lot of money on the band so the only way to show gratitude for you parting with your hard earned money is for the old band to get back together?

What is it? Why?

The only way Axl can prove that he appreciates the fans is by showing up at an industry event and please the delusional dreams of those who don't even care about what Axl has been doing since the old band ceased to exist? The only thing he needs to do is to please the ones who have been ridiculing the band and spreading bullshit year after year?

Too bad people don't seem to comprehend a thing they read, plain and clear.

Same people have been told for a long time that Axl has no interest to share stage with Slash. That never stopped them fro thinking it would happen this weekend.

It's pretty obvious they don't care to read, listen or pay attention to anything that would make what they are "owed" unlikely to happen.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »

What was the amicable solution he was trying to attain?
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

Just a few thoughts... Perhaps Axl really wanted to find a solution that he could live with and tried for the longest time to make an arrangement so that he could attend but in the end found that there was no way to make it work and decided it was best he did not attend after all.

But then I have to ask - what arrangement could have been made that would have allowed him to go, that he was denied.  He said in the letter that not only did he not make any demands of the HOF - he didn't even make any requests.  If he had an arrangement in mind that would have allowed him to attend, and they were not interested in that - I would be interested in knowing that.  However, the HOF can't read minds any better than I can.  If he says he didn't make any requests of them, I have to take him at his word.  If that is the case I don't know how they could have done anything to make things work for him.

To quote the man himself: "Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out" and "Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around" imply that there was an intent to attend, but no good solution was found.

Right, he was open to an amicable solution, but made no requests.  I'm not sure what an amicable solution based on no requests would have been.  I suppose this is part of the problem.  There is no communication for many months, and when there is communication - it is plenty lengthy, but doesn't really say much that is concrete.  We are forced to read between the lines and assume things and then are told on Facebook we shouldn't try to read between the lines and assume anything.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Axl owes anyone a thing.  I just think some better communication (not longer communication) with fans would help save both him and his biggest fans from frustration in misinterpretations and mistruths.
StardustGirl
Headliner

« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

The crux of this matter seems to be the demands for a reunion so my guess is attending without obligation to perform may have been an issue.

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »

I think, the HOF expected something else from Axl, maybe that he see the induction as a chance, to heal the wounds. But what they did not expect is that he has strong principles, which he would never betray.
The HOF have nothing from these properties. They are just commerce, not more.
I bet, they would say "Wow, Buckethead, what a guitar hero, he needs to be inducted", if he would have the same success as Slash. And that is WRONG!

Yes, the non-profit organization is all about turning a profit  Roll Eyes

Isn't it time for you to change your avatar?  This is the NEW Gnr we are talking about here, NOT any of the older members!!   rant
Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »

The one thing Axl would have gotten from me if he'd shown up would have been utmost respect. I knew there was no chance for him to sit with or even play with Slash, Duff, Izzy n' Steven, but I thought he might have at least have attended the ceremony and acknowledged the accolade.

But instead he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today. Disappointment is the only word I can use to describe it at the moment.

GN'R 07/06/06, 11/06/06, 23/07/06, 29/08/10, 18/10/10, 20/05/12

VR 01/09/04, 16/01/05, 09/06/05, 11/06/07, 15/03/08

Slash 03/07/10, 21/07/11, 08/10/12, 01/03/13
StardustGirl
Headliner

« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »

Right, he was open to an amicable solution, but made no requests.  I'm not sure what an amicable solution based on no requests would have been.  I suppose this is part of the problem.  There is no communication for many months, and when there is communication - it is plenty lengthy, but doesn't really say much that is concrete.  We are forced to read between the lines and assume things and then are told on Facebook we shouldn't try to read between the lines and assume anything.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Axl owes anyone a thing.  I just think some better communication (not longer communication) with fans would help save both him and his biggest fans from frustration in misinterpretations and mistruths.

The way I read it, the letter clearly says there has been communication between hof and Axl. It also says Axl did not demand or request but omits to mention if hof had demands. Judging by the outcome I'd say they had. Just saying.

long live rock n' roll
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »

The crux of this matter seems to be the demands for a reunion so my guess is attending without obligation to perform may have been an issue.

I have to disagree.  The Hall of Fame has said all along that they had no idea if there was going to be a performance, but that all 5 original members agreed to go (even Dizzy repeated this to the press).  They seemed fine with this.  No inductees are ever forced to perform.  Madonna went and didn't perform.  
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »

But instead he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today. Disappointment is the only word I can use to describe it at the moment.

Why is this the usual response from those who are disappointed?

The refusal by many GN'R fans to recognize the shit Axl has had to go through to get where he is today is never an issue.

Neither is it an issue that the RNRHOF also refused to acknowledge that the band is active and didn't end when Izzy left.

It's ok to disrespect the present and the past 15 years, but not what happened 25 years ago. If you do that, you're just being selfish...  Roll Eyes

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:00:14 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: