Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170800 times)
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »

Just a few thoughts... Perhaps Axl really wanted to find a solution that he could live with and tried for the longest time to make an arrangement so that he could attend but in the end found that there was no way to make it work and decided it was best he did not attend after all.

But then I have to ask - what arrangement could have been made that would have allowed him to go, that he was denied.  He said in the letter that not only did he not make any demands of the HOF - he didn't even make any requests.  If he had an arrangement in mind that would have allowed him to attend, and they were not interested in that - I would be interested in knowing that.  However, the HOF can't read minds any better than I can.  If he says he didn't make any requests of them, I have to take him at his word.  If that is the case I don't know how they could have done anything to make things work for him.

To quote the man himself: "Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out" and "Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around" imply that there was an intent to attend, but no good solution was found.

Right, he was open to an amicable solution, but made no requests.  I'm not sure what an amicable solution based on no requests would have been.  I suppose this is part of the problem.  There is no communication for many months, and when there is communication - it is plenty lengthy, but doesn't really say much that is concrete.  We are forced to read between the lines and assume things and then are told on Facebook we shouldn't try to read between the lines and assume anything.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Axl owes anyone a thing.  I just think some better communication (not longer communication) with fans would help save both him and his biggest fans from frustration in misinterpretations and mistruths.

The way I read it, the letter clearly says there has been communication between hof and Axl. It also says Axl did not demand or request but omits to mention if hof had demands. Judging by the outcome I'd say they had. Just saying.

and what could they have possibly demanded?
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think Axl handled this deftly.

You are absolutely correct. The way Axl has written the letter has made it difficult for people to criticise him and he must be praised for doing what he thinks is right for him and his band at this moment in time.

Someone at the Rock N'Roll Hall of Fame told me that they based their judgements on the influential elements of any given inductees, and they regard AFD and the AFD era as influential, whereas the other albums are classics in their own right, but not influential in their given eras. Just thought that might be interesting for anyone reading.
new gnr fan
Headliner

« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »

I think, the HOF expected something else from Axl, maybe that he see the induction as a chance, to heal the wounds. But what they did not expect is that he has strong principles, which he would never betray.
The HOF have nothing from these properties. They are just commerce, not more.
I bet, they would say "Wow, Buckethead, what a guitar hero, he needs to be inducted", if he would have the same success as Slash. And that is WRONG!

Yes, the non-profit organization is all about turning a profit  Roll Eyes

Isn't it time for you to change your avatar?  This is the NEW Gnr we are talking about here, NOT any of the older members!!   rant

Relaxe, dude, i LOVE the new line up^^ The choice of avatar have nothing to do with the "new" line up

枪和玫瑰 中國民主
manicstreet
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »

Axl promised nobody anything.

And I agree with him. IF GNR were to be inducted AND perform : it should contain every member of the current lineup.

Lets look at the length of time people have been in GNR
Axl - 27 years
Dizzy - 21 years
Tommy - 14 years
Pitman - 12 years
Fortus - 10 years
Bumble - 7 years
Frank - 6 years
DJ - 3 years

And how long have the ex-members been in the band?
Duff - 12 years
Slash - 10 years
Robin - 9 years
Izzy - 5 years
Josh - 5 years
Brain - 5 years
Matt - 5 years
Adler - 5 years
Buckethead - 4 years
Gilby - 3 years

Fairly disrespectful to the current band, and their work, to invite the former members and not them. It's "Damned If You Do / Damned If You Don't". All those whining pussies upset that Axl won't be their bitch and sing the old songs with guys who haven't been in the band for over 20 years? Get over it. It'll never be 1991 again.

Yes, the current lineup is a better band.

Axl may use too many words, and talk like someone who has spent a little too long in therapy sometimes, but this is a decision that commands respect for the courage to stand up to others expectations and the integrity that it brings.

I dont think how many years you have been in the band should play a roll. In all seriousness do you think anyone in the current band would even accept the honor? I wouldnt think so from the few comments some members have made. I think they know that it isnt their contribution that got them inducted. I personally think the new guitarist in Chili Peppers cheapins the whole hall of fame anyway. He has no business being inducted & if he had any integrity would be the one writing the letter asking not to be recognized.

Anyways I could care less that Axl doesnt want to be apart of this. I love the guys in the band currently & really only wanted to see the "reunion" so I could finally see Izzy live.

Without the current band there would be no GNR. No tour. No records. Nothing. The current lineup have kept the GNR vision and flame burning. Axl has shown integrity and strength by refusing to do what is expected of him, and by standing by his band which is loyal and strong. They may not have been there at the start - show me one band that has had the same lineup in 30 years apart from U2 - but this band is here now and keeping the GNR name and legacy alive and doing a damn good job of it. To only induct the 1987-93 lineup would be an insult to those who have kept GNR alive since then.

In my opinion the band could have ended in 1993 & they still would have been inducted into the R&RHOF. Yes, they are keeping the legacy alive for new fans to enjoy the wonderful music that was created 20+ years ago. That is my point. the correct members are being inducted. To be truthfully honest I feel Matt Sorum & Dizzy are more important to Guns than Adler. If Guns would have flamed out after Appetite their would be no hall of fame. It is the genius of the illusions that pushed guns into the stratusphere.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Kenny Jones (replaced Keith Moon in the Who) was inducted into the hall of fame. He recorded 2 albums and toured with them for 10 years & was considered a full member. In my opinion he should not be in becasue when people think of the Who they sure as hell do not think about the album "It's Hard" or the song "You better You bet". However unfortunate that is that is how the general public feels about Guns N' Roses.

Fun Fact: At the Detroit show in February, I was talking to some guy & his wife. He was telling me how excited he was to see Slash. I was like, Huh!? I told him that Slash hasnt been in the band for 16 years. Sadly there are alot of "fans" like him out there.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »

What was the amicable solution he was trying to attain?
Viable question. That's for Axl to know and the rest of us to find out. Wait, scratch that. And for the rest of us to never know.
I say fine. For two reasons. One-the man is entitled to his opinion. Two-if you're gonna have to deal with someone who feels they need to get THAT meticulous in an explanation, then why would you question anything, let alone have the strength, patience or brain cells to deal with such after hearing such an explanation.

"appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around". Fine. Whatever.

I bet the piercing of your own sword when you're falling on it hurts THAT much more then all of the other swords that of course EVERYONE had out. Ok. Fine. Sure.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

But instead he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today. Disappointment is the only word I can use to describe it at the moment.

Why is this the usual response from those who are disappointed?

The refusal by many GN'R fans to recognize the shit Axl has had to go through to get where he is today is never an issue.

Neither is it an issue that the RNRHOF also refused to acknowledge that the band is active and didn't end when Izzy left.

/jarmo

Haha who said anyone is refusing to recognize what Axl went through???  Its possible Jarmo that people recognize what Axl went through to bring the band to where it is today AND believe that his refusal to attend the ceremony is shunning the era of the band that allowed him the success he had today.  

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand.  You think that everyone who here critiques Axl or says something favorably about older members is automatically anti-Axl/New GNR.  I have seen the non-classic era GNR 9 times and as recently as February of 2012.  I think it shows that I still support the band even though I don't agree with Axl 100% of the time.  

I swear I would love to see the guidelines given to GNR employees.  Can you post it one day?
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »

I can't find the article but I remember something about axl talking about the HOF lineup... where he said he wouldn't play with Izzy and Steven because the actual members put more effort in the band than them... am I right?

So I believe that the amicable solution was a short performance with an hybrid lineup, or maybe just share the stage for getting the prize!

banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

Now that took balls good for you axl
" why should I choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"
What a load off that was thanks axl hope to see guns in Canada (Saskatoon) wink wink

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »

I love how Axl can never do any wrong in some people's eyes. For the most part everyone on this board knows that there is no reunion, and we are not saying Axl owes anyone anything including an explanation for his actions. Nevertheless, he chose to not go and chose to explain why he was not going. In doing so as fans we will accept it because we have no say and no choice as it is his decision to do what he wants. Nevertheless, as fans we can disagree or agree with his decision. A segment of GnRs fan base like it or not would have liked and enjoyed seeing their favorite band GnR be recognized for their accomplishments in the industry. With that said, Axl is the only one that we know who has expressed and complained about the HoF and their inability to comply with his requests of which we are unaware of. Using the white house dinner example, I would think if the president would invite you to dinner and you do not like the food you simply go to dinner have a dinner roll and politely thank him for his invitation, not insult him because he was polite enough to invite you to dinner and because you did not like the food. This is the perfect example of how a bratty kid acts in this situation and is similar to Axls conduct in these circumstances.

I have no doubt GnR will continue to tour and draw crowds at their shows with this line up and even future line ups. This will pass but it will leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths when really it could have changed people's perspective about Axl. I think if he would have at least gone accepted the award people who thought Axl was difficult, that it was cool he showed up and not such a bad guy after all. This act only further confirms that he is a primodana. I think he missed a great opportunity to show he is a classy guy by showing the former members and some of his fans respect as well as taking the opportunity to tell the world that there is a new version of GnR that is going to keep rocking for another 25 years.
StardustGirl
Headliner

And though as long as this road seems...

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »

Just a few thoughts... Perhaps Axl really wanted to find a solution that he could live with and tried for the longest time to make an arrangement so that he could attend but in the end found that there was no way to make it work and decided it was best he did not attend after all.

But then I have to ask - what arrangement could have been made that would have allowed him to go, that he was denied.  He said in the letter that not only did he not make any demands of the HOF - he didn't even make any requests.  If he had an arrangement in mind that would have allowed him to attend, and they were not interested in that - I would be interested in knowing that.  However, the HOF can't read minds any better than I can.  If he says he didn't make any requests of them, I have to take him at his word.  If that is the case I don't know how they could have done anything to make things work for him.

To quote the man himself: "Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out" and "Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around" imply that there was an intent to attend, but no good solution was found.

Right, he was open to an amicable solution, but made no requests.  I'm not sure what an amicable solution based on no requests would have been.  I suppose this is part of the problem.  There is no communication for many months, and when there is communication - it is plenty lengthy, but doesn't really say much that is concrete.  We are forced to read between the lines and assume things and then are told on Facebook we shouldn't try to read between the lines and assume anything.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Axl owes anyone a thing.  I just think some better communication (not longer communication) with fans would help save both him and his biggest fans from frustration in misinterpretations and mistruths.

The way I read it, the letter clearly says there has been communication between hof and Axl. It also says Axl did not demand or request but omits to mention if hof had demands. Judging by the outcome I'd say they had. Just saying.

I'm sure that with a bit of brain storming you can come up with some possibilities. Could be for instance something to do with performing, dealing with the other inductees, treating the current members, to mention a few possibilities (and yes, this is pure speculation since there is no inside info available as far as i know, but as you see, there are possibilities).

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »

By the way, I still say that Axl playing My World would have solved all problems.  He would have 'reunited' for a 'classic' song at the induction ceremony. 
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2012, 03:12:44 PM »

I can't find the article but I remember something about axl talking about the HOF lineup... where he said he wouldn't play with Izzy and Steven because the actual members put more effort in the band than them... am I right?

So I believe that the amicable solution was a short performance with an hybrid lineup, or maybe just share the stage for getting the prize!

I think you may be referencing a very old article. He says in the letter he invited Izzy to play back in December.

By the way, I still say that Axl playing My World would have solved all problems.  He would have 'reunited' for a 'classic' song at the induction ceremony. 

I don't think he was interested in doing something jerky like that. He mentioned Marlon Brando sending a Native American to accept his Oscar and wanting to avoid something like that.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

Haha who said anyone is refusing to recognize what Axl went through???  Its possible Jarmo that people recognize what Axl went through to bring the band to where it is today AND believe that his refusal to attend the ceremony is shunning the era of the band that allowed him the success he had today.  

When you decide to acknowledge line ups that existed 20 years ago, but say nothing about what has happened since, you are refusing it.

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand.  You think that everyone who here critiques Axl or says something favorably about older members is automatically anti-Axl/New GNR.  

No, I don't.

But I know when I see misguided people make assumptions that they aren't interested in anything other than what they made up in their minds.

There's something ironic about so called hardcore fans being surprised by all this and acting all upset. Who told them that anything had changed? The media? The RNRHOF?

It's just business as usual. If it wasn't this letter, they'd be upset about something else. Because they aren't getting what they want.

I swear I would love to see the guidelines given to GNR employees.  Can you post it one day?

I guess this is yet another one of those things that only exist in fantasy land.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »

But instead he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today. Disappointment is the only word I can use to describe it at the moment.

Why is this the usual response from those who are disappointed?

The refusal by many GN'R fans to recognize the shit Axl has had to go through to get where he is today is never an issue.

Neither is it an issue that the RNRHOF also refused to acknowledge that the band is active and didn't end when Izzy left.

It's ok to disrespect the present and the past 15 years, but not what happened 25 years ago. If you do that, you're just being selfish...  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Ah Jarmo, knew you'd be yapping at my heels soon enough. Agree with me or not, I couldn't give a hoot.

I'm not refusing to accept the shit that Axl's been through. All of the band members, both past and present have been through the mill with GN'R. But to not even accept or want to be included in something that honours the very foundations of everything that he has now... everything that he still fronts and stands for... well you know my thoughts.

And I'm not disrespecting the present or the past 15 years. If I was, I wouldn't have spent hundreds on going to see the current band perform.

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand.  You think that everyone who here critiques Axl or says something favorably about older members is automatically anti-Axl/New GNR.  I have seen the non-classic era GNR 9 times and as recently as February of 2012.  I think it shows that I still support the band even though I don't agree with Axl 100% of the time.  

Amen! rofl rofl

GN'R 07/06/06, 11/06/06, 23/07/06, 29/08/10, 18/10/10, 20/05/12

VR 01/09/04, 16/01/05, 09/06/05, 11/06/07, 15/03/08

Slash 03/07/10, 21/07/11, 08/10/12, 01/03/13
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »

I'm sure that with a bit of brain storming you can come up with some possibilities. Could be for instance something to do with performing, dealing with the other inductees, treating the current members, to mention a few possibilities (and yes, this is pure speculation since there is no inside info available as far as i know, but as you see, there are possibilities).

I find it hard to believe that the HOF would have done anything but bend over backwards to get him to come.  Do we really believe they told him he couldn't come unless he performed?  Unless he was nice to the other inductees?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »

I'm not refusing to accept the shit that Axl's been through. All of the band members, both past and present have been through the mill with GN'R. But to not even accept or want to be included in something that honours the very foundations of everything that he has now... everything that he still fronts and stands for... well you know my thoughts.

And your thoughts are worth as much as the next guy's...  Smiley

And I'm not disrespecting the present or the past 15 years. If I was, I wouldn't have spent hundreds on going to see the current band perform.

Didn't say you were. I'm saying it seems like it's ok to.

We honor this part of your history, but not that part.

It would be a totally different thing if the band has ceased to exist in 1993. But they didn't...

Can you at least admit that you can see why somebody might object to that way of thinking if it was their band being honored?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:22:55 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #476 on: April 12, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

During that time fans of Axl were left with no communication and had to make guesses on their own. Some booked trips from as far as Australia based on him talking about not wanting to ruin anyone's fun, being honored, and wanting to properly accept this honor. These are people, like myself, who support Axl, looked at this, and thought - "well I don't really give a shit about the HOF, but if Axl is honored and going there to accept - I will go and support him." I don't think anyone had any right to expect a reunion performance or anything, but the best information Axl had given any of his fans was that he was planning on attending to accept and that if we went - we would be able to be there to support him in what he considered to be an honor.

At the same time, I realize that one of the reasons we love Axl is for his unique Axl ways of dealing with the world. Axl comes with a lack of communication, last minute cancellations, and a VERY strong will. Anyone buying a ticket to anything related to Axl knows that anything can happen. I do think that, for his own sake, he could communicate a touch better with HIS fans (the people who support him through everything he has done - not just the classic GNR lineup) so that situations like a Chinese Democracy fan in Australia flying to Cleveland to show his support to Axl specifically - just do not happen. He doesn't owe us anything as fans, but he could look out for those of us who want to support him in the things he chooses to do and not do a bit better.

The backlash I have seen from casual fans and friends on this last minute decision has been strong (which Axl himself seemed to realize was going to be the case). This is particularly the case from casual fans I know that bought a ticket for this - not expecting a reunion - but hoping to see Axl in person, support him, and hear from him. I plan on having a blast this weekend. There is so much to look forward to with all of this, but I definitely enter the weekend with mixed feelings on how Axl handled this situation for his own fans and supporters. Surprised? Not at all. Disappointed in how this was handled? Yes.

Whilst I do feel some sympathy for anyone who has spent a lot of money booking flights to Cleveland in the hope of seeing Axl, I have to say that the evidence that he would attend was always flimsy at best. (To be honest, they'd have been better off buying a ticket to the UCAP shows.) With a situation such as this, anyone buying a ticket must have realised that there were no guarantees and so accepted responsibility for the decision they took in booking; regardless of whether or not direct communication from the band members was forthcoming.

I think that we've probably had a greater amount of communication with the present band than we ever did with previous line-ups - obviously current technology has definitely played its part in this. Axl has presented us with an explanation as to why he's made the decision he has and, in doing so, has made himself vulnerable to sections of the media who'll use it as another stick to beat him. Yet he did it, I believe, because he cares about the fans who've stuck with him and supported the new line-up and he is genuinely appreciative of our loyalty. I haven't seen any evidence that he's deliberately tried to mislead anyone over this situation and if fans are claiming this then I think they've been blinded by their own desires. Plans change and sometimes you just have to accept this and make the best of a situation and not look for someone to pin the blame on.

Case in point was in 92 when Axl was due to stand trial over the St Louis incident. Bear in mind that this was pre-internet and news was scarce and bloody difficult to come by. Here in the UK, Kerrang was almost the only source of rock news. (Now that's a scary thought!)  The media over here had hyped up the case to the point that they'd practically got him banged up for life before the trial had even started. Here I am your rabid GN'R fan thousands of miles away from the scene of the action, imagining all sorts of nightmare scenarios of Axl in prison or worse. I decide that I can't rely on biaised K journalism for fair reporting of the events so take it upon myself to book a trip to St Louis for the trial. Thinking all the while that it could be the last time I see him. Well, to cut a long story slightly shorter, I get there and the trial is postponed. There's no way I could afford to return later - this was a one-time option for me in those days. Obviously I was disappointed but when I found out the reasons why, I understood and tried to make the best of my time there. The point I'm trying to make, albeit in a long-winded way, is that I took responsibility for my actions and didn't start searching around for someone to blame. Which is, I feel, the opposite of how some of the fans you mention appear to be dealing with this and, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old git, is an attitude that I feel is far too prevalent in today's society.

Handing soapbox over the anyone else who wants it now....  Grin

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #477 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »

From MTV:

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere
Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with ? though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated ? which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" ? I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner ? and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this ? and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #478 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

From MTV:

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere
Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with ? though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated ? which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" ? I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner ? and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this ? and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

Hence the genius of Axl letter.

I hope someone points Axl in the direction of this letter. I think he'll enjoy this one
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »

During that time fans of Axl were left with no communication and had to make guesses on their own. Some booked trips from as far as Australia based on him talking about not wanting to ruin anyone's fun, being honored, and wanting to properly accept this honor. These are people, like myself, who support Axl, looked at this, and thought - "well I don't really give a shit about the HOF, but if Axl is honored and going there to accept - I will go and support him." I don't think anyone had any right to expect a reunion performance or anything, but the best information Axl had given any of his fans was that he was planning on attending to accept and that if we went - we would be able to be there to support him in what he considered to be an honor.

At the same time, I realize that one of the reasons we love Axl is for his unique Axl ways of dealing with the world. Axl comes with a lack of communication, last minute cancellations, and a VERY strong will. Anyone buying a ticket to anything related to Axl knows that anything can happen. I do think that, for his own sake, he could communicate a touch better with HIS fans (the people who support him through everything he has done - not just the classic GNR lineup) so that situations like a Chinese Democracy fan in Australia flying to Cleveland to show his support to Axl specifically - just do not happen. He doesn't owe us anything as fans, but he could look out for those of us who want to support him in the things he chooses to do and not do a bit better.

The backlash I have seen from casual fans and friends on this last minute decision has been strong (which Axl himself seemed to realize was going to be the case). This is particularly the case from casual fans I know that bought a ticket for this - not expecting a reunion - but hoping to see Axl in person, support him, and hear from him. I plan on having a blast this weekend. There is so much to look forward to with all of this, but I definitely enter the weekend with mixed feelings on how Axl handled this situation for his own fans and supporters. Surprised? Not at all. Disappointed in how this was handled? Yes.

Whilst I do feel some sympathy for anyone who has spent a lot of money booking flights to Cleveland in the hope of seeing Axl, I have to say that the evidence that he would attend was always flimsy at best. (To be honest, they'd have been better off buying a ticket to the UCAP shows.) With a situation such as this, anyone buying a ticket must have realised that there were no guarantees and so accepted responsibility for the decision they took in booking; regardless of whether or not direct communication from the band members was forthcoming.

I think that we've probably had a greater amount of communication with the present band than we ever did with previous line-ups - obviously current technology has definitely played its part in this. Axl has presented us with an explanation as to why he's made the decision he has and, in doing so, has made himself vulnerable to sections of the media who'll use it as another stick to beat him. Yet he did it, I believe, because he cares about the fans who've stuck with him and supported the new line-up and he is genuinely appreciative of our loyalty. I haven't seen any evidence that he's deliberately tried to mislead anyone over this situation and if fans are claiming this then I think they've been blinded by their own desires. Plans change and sometimes you just have to accept this and make the best of a situation and not look for someone to pin the blame on.

Case in point was in 92 when Axl was due to stand trial over the St Louis incident. Bear in mind that this was pre-internet and news was scarce and bloody difficult to come by. Here in the UK, Kerrang was almost the only source of rock news. (Now that's a scary thought!)  The media over here had hyped up the case to the point that they'd practically got him banged up for life before the trial had even started. Here I am your rabid GN'R fan thousands of miles away from the scene of the action, imagining all sorts of nightmare scenarios of Axl in prison or worse. I decide that I can't rely on biaised K journalism for fair reporting of the events so take it upon myself to book a trip to St Louis for the trial. Thinking all the while that it could be the last time I see him. Well, to cut a long story slightly shorter, I get there and the trial is postponed. There's no way I could afford to return later - this was a one-time option for me in those days. Obviously I was disappointed but when I found out the reasons why, I understood and tried to make the best of my time there. The point I'm trying to make, albeit in a long-winded way, is that I took responsibility for my actions and didn't start searching around for someone to blame. Which is, I feel, the opposite of how some of the fans you mention appear to be dealing with this and, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old git, is an attitude that I feel is far too prevalent in today's society.

Handing soapbox over the anyone else who wants it now....  Grin

This is a thoughtful post.  Thanks.  I agree that there were no guarantees of him showing up, and that anyone making long distance plans to attend based on him being there was taking a bit of a gamble.  That said, given his reasons for not attending - I don't see any scenario where this would have worked.  Given that - he could have communicated to fans long ago that his attendance was up in the air - but when asked about attending he stated that he didn't want to be the one to ruin the fun and criticized others for making embarrassing situations out of receiving awards.  Axl never really says much of anything directly.  His letter yesterday offers far more questions than answers.  That was as close as we were gonna get to Axl saying "yes I'm going, no I'm not comfortable performing".  This was followed by the HOF saying he had told them he would come as well as Dizzy Reed saying that Axl was going to attend.  Axl could have sent out a quick "I haven't decided yet" tweet at any given time and potentially saved many of his own fans from wasting in some cases thousands of dollars to come and see him.

Again, Axl does not owe anyone anything - but there are things he could have done with minimal effort to minimize the potential negative impact on his fans who only wanted to go if he was going to be there to support him.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: