Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:31:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170775 times)
FanSince87
Opening Act

« Reply #480 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »

But instead he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today. Disappointment is the only word I can use to describe it at the moment.

Neither is it an issue that the RNRHOF also refused to acknowledge that the band is active and didn't end when Izzy left.

It's ok to disrespect the present and the past 15 years, but not what happened 25 years ago.

/jarmo

I keep hearing this over and over. Why? How is inducting the original members somehow disrespecting the present?  Did I miss the press release where the HOF said that GnR ended in 1996? Did I miss the memo where the HOF said the new lineup sucks?  And where does the HOF "refuse to acknowledge that the band is active?"  Do they refuse to say the band is active right here on their site where they say the band is active and touring?  http://rockhall.com/inductees/guns-n-roses/bio/

Axl keeps implying that this whole HOF thing somehow takes away from what he's created with the awesome new lineup.  I just don't see it. He clearly believes that and it's his right to believe it but it's illogical.   If he simply said that he didn't want to share a stage with Slash again, it would've come across as a more realistic reason, in my opinion.  I feel bad for Duff who was really looking fwd to this and has managed to be very professional and civil to all former and current members throughout.  

Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #481 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »

I'm not refusing to accept the shit that Axl's been through. All of the band members, both past and present have been through the mill with GN'R. But to not even accept or want to be included in something that honours the very foundations of everything that he has now... everything that he still fronts and stands for... well you know my thoughts.

And your thoughts are worth as much as the next guy's...  Smiley

As are yours. Wink

And I'm not disrespecting the present or the past 15 years. If I was, I wouldn't have spent hundreds on going to see the current band perform.

Didn't say you were. I'm saying it seems like it's ok to.

We honor this part of your history, but not that part.

It would be a totally different thing if the band has ceased to exist in 1993. But they didn't...

Can you at least admit that you can see why somebody might object to that way of thinking if it was their band being honored?

/jarmo

Oooh hang on... seems to me like it's ok for you to disrespect the past.  Shocked

And nobody's trying to say that GN'R haven't altered since 1993.... the HOF are simply trying to honour and place in history the legacy that started it all, that made the name, the sound, the voice so famous, that put GN'R on top spot and carried them through for so many years. Everyone knows that GN'R isn't Slash, Duff, Axl, etc anymore. But that's how the band started and no matter what, no matter how successful or unsuccessful the current line up may be, nothing will ever change the way it all began.

GN'R 07/06/06, 11/06/06, 23/07/06, 29/08/10, 18/10/10, 20/05/12

VR 01/09/04, 16/01/05, 09/06/05, 11/06/07, 15/03/08

Slash 03/07/10, 21/07/11, 08/10/12, 01/03/13
schnoogans37
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2012, 03:35:23 PM »

That MTV letter is the best thing I have seen written on this.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »

I keep hearing this over and over. Why? How is inducting the original members somehow disrespecting the present?  Did I miss the press release where the HOF said that GnR ended in 1996? Did I miss the memo where the HOF said the new lineup sucks?  And where does the HOF "refuse to acknowledge that the band is active?"  Do they refuse to say the band is active right here on their site where they say the band is active and touring?  http://rockhall.com/inductees/guns-n-roses/bio/

Axl keeps implying that this whole HOF thing somehow takes away from what he's created with the awesome new lineup.  I just don't see it. He clearly believes that and it's his right to believe it but it's illogical.   If he simply said that he didn't want to share a stage with Slash again, it would've come across as a more realistic reason, in my opinion.  I feel bad for Duff who was really looking fwd to this and has managed to be very professional and civil to all former and current members throughout.  

All the talk about reuniting, all the talk about the old band makes it seem a bit like there's nothing else going on with the band at the moment. Like what's going on now isn't important. It can be disregarded and swept aside for the "important reunion".

You built something from the ground up, but all people wanna talk about what was in its place 20 years ago.

Now why would anybody be slightly insulted by that?

Oooh hang on... seems to me like it's ok for you to disrespect the past.  Shocked

Where did I do that?

Did I say the old band or any of the former members don't deserve the honor?

Show me the quote or shut up. Smiley

And nobody's trying to say that GN'R haven't altered since 1993.... the HOF are simply trying to honour and place in history the legacy that started it all, that made the name, the sound, the voice so famous, that put GN'R on top spot and carried them through for so many years. Everyone knows that GN'R isn't Slash, Duff, Axl, etc anymore. But that's how the band started and no matter what, no matter how successful or unsuccessful the current line up may be, nothing will ever change the way it all began.

So for GN'R they need to focus on the past and only a very specific moment in history, but for many other bands it's ok to also honor the current?

Can you explain why?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:43:01 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »

It is

Axl has turned the whole situation into something positive for the current line-up of GN'R. The timing and wording of his letter is probably the best piece of communication in recent GN'R history.

It has put fans of old GN'R on the backfoot.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »

The way Axl has written the letter has made it difficult for people to criticise him

Look around... evidently not that difficult.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »

The way Axl has written the letter has made it difficult for people to criticise him

Oh come on.

You know damn well these people will never be happy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »

Where did I do that?

Did I say the old band or any of the former members don't deserve the honor?

Show me the quote or shut up. Smiley

Ok Smiley

We honor this part of your history, but not that part.

So go on, what's that part that you wont honor?

So for GN'R they need to focus on the past and only a very specific moment in history, but for many other bands it's ok to also honor the current?

Can you explain why?

Err because the AFD & Illusions line-ups accomplished everything that this band is known and recognised for. What have the current band accomplished that resembles that? Seriously now? Maybe in 10 years they will be at that level.

GN'R are focusing plenty on their current goings on... they've been touring now for over 2 years and I do believe they released an album in 2008...? Correct me if I'm wrong. Undecided

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »

Oh come on.

You know damn well these people will never be happy.

/jarmo

I agree. There are some people here that beat the same drum daily, and we know who they are and what their opinions are.

But for MTV to write that letter, that is amazing. Ask any previous Guns manager about MTV, they never usually say anything positive about current GN'R.
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to understand.  You think that everyone who here critiques Axl or says something favorably about older members is automatically anti-Axl/New GNR.  

No, I don't. But I know when I see misguided people make assumptions that they aren't interested in anything other than what they made up in their minds.
There's something ironic about so called hardcore fans being surprised by all this and acting all upset. Who told them that anything had changed? The media? The RNRHOF?
It's just business as usual. If it wasn't this letter, they'd be upset about something else. Because they aren't getting what they want.

I swear I would love to see the guidelines given to GNR employees.  Can you post it one day?

I guess this is yet another one of those things that only exist in fantasy land.

/jarmo
[/quote]

Why dont some people go and ask someone called C as Jarmo said? He is not with Gnr but he works in that Fantasy Land and he also has a contractual obligation to explain what is that , didnt get. Fantastical employees whom they will attend to the RNR hall of flame which concept you might understand one day, THIS DECADE & THE NEXT RELEASE cause the previous tours & releases didnt clearly work!

Fantasy or trick, what is it gonna be?  Cheesy

DID YOU READ THE STATEMENT? Which concept of the statement you cannot get?  Cheesy You want a disclaimer by an admin on a forum to analyze this to you that he is NOT representative? People who are employees in Fantasia land who want to plot and plan publicity stunts just to benefit whatever the hell that is they want to benefit from! I am NOT reffering to Axl's statement neither I twist his words, or GnR now! They are ALREADY KNOWN because they are ALREADY expressed. Maybe I can speak in BABYLONIAN so you can get the concept...or maybe I wont. EVER.  Cheesy

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

Hahahaha this is sooo true.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
wadey
Legend

« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »

http://rockhall.com/inductees/guns-n-roses/bio/

While the revamped Guns n? Roses hasn?t exhibited the earth-shaking impact of the prototype, a fascination with Rose continues to fill arenas on the band?s occasional tours.

Occasional tours  WTF!!  Bit more than frikin occasional, they make it sound like they play a few shows 3 times a yr   rofl

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

From MTV:

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere
Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with ? though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated ? which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" ? I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner ? and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this ? and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

I'm very proud to say that I went to middle school and high school and college with James and grew up about 10 minutes from him.  Well written article!

Ali
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »

http://rockhall.com/inductees/guns-n-roses/bio/

While the revamped Guns n? Roses hasn?t exhibited the earth-shaking impact of the prototype, a fascination with Rose continues to fill arenas on the band?s occasional tours.

Occasional tours  WTF!!  Bit more than frikin occasional, they make it sound like they play a few shows 3 times a yr   rofl

Those cocksuckers are butthurt hihi

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #494 on: April 12, 2012, 04:02:17 PM »

I'm suspecting you're trying to be funny.

It's not about me, it's about certain people and the answer is: Obviously anything that happened after 1991.

Err because the AFD & Illusions line-ups accomplished everything that this band is known and recognised for. What have the current band accomplished that resembles that? Seriously now? Maybe in 10 years they will be at that level.

GN'R are focusing plenty on their current goings on... they've been touring now for over 2 years and I do believe they released an album in 2008...? Correct me if I'm wrong. Undecided

And are you saying the current guitar player in Red Hot Chili Peppers has achieved a lot?

And Robert Trujillo got inducted with Metallica in 2009. He had been in the band for about six years. Not exactly during the Black album era. Did St. Anger have such an impact on the music industry that it warrants his inclusion?

I'm sure he deserves it.

I just don't get the decision making process.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:04:53 PM by jarmo » Logged

Annie
« Reply #495 on: April 12, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »

It is

Axl has turned the whole situation into something positive for the current line-up of GN'R. The timing and wording of his letter is probably the best piece of communication in recent GN'R history.

It has put fans of old GN'R on the backfoot.

I totally agree. Winston Churchill put it best:

You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Way to go Axl!
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #496 on: April 12, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »

From MTV:

Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with ? though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated ? which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" ? I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner ? and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this ? and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

I'm very proud to say that I went to middle school and high school and college with James and grew up about 10 minutes from him.  Well written article!

Ali

The world is watching and analysing.

It is a perfect reaction, to what has become a perfect storm  peace
Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #497 on: April 12, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

I'm suspecting you're trying to be funny.

It's not about me, it's about certain people and the answer is: Obviously anything that happened after 1991.

If I was trying to be funny I'd have told a joke. You said we.... that signifies that you include yourself in that.

And are you saying the current guitar player in Red Hot Chili Peppers has achieved a lot?

And Robert Trujillo got inducted with Metallica in 2009. He had been in the band for about six years. Not exactly during the Black album era.

Not talking about other bands, nor am I intersted in who they have or have not inducted. I'm talking about GN'R. Wink

ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #498 on: April 12, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »

From MTV:

By James Montgomery

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

what is said here is quite true. what so much of us love Axl for can very well be the same reason he is hated. Axl is Axl and right or wrong that will not change. He does what he wants and on his terms. I respect that, dont always like it but respect it
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #499 on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »

This Montgomery fella would have been ripped apart on here previously for some of the things he said about Axl but now he is loved all of a sudden Huh

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: