Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170790 times)
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #500 on: April 12, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »

This Montgomery fella would have been ripped apart on here previously for some of the things he said about Axl but now he is loved all of a sudden Huh

Not sure he is loved quite yet, but his letter is an amazing turnabout by MTV.

Never thought I'd see that in a million years
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

You said we.... that signifies that you include yourself in that.

Ok, sorry for not being clearer.

I'm talking about people who decided who gets inducted and who doesn't.

I'm talking about those who are upset that Axl doesn't attend.

So the way they are thinking would be "We honor this line up and this point in time, but not that one". And that seems to be ok.

Not talking about other bands, nor am I intersted in who they have or have not inducted. I'm talking about GN'R. Wink

And I'm talking about GN'R as well, but offering you examples on why some think it's weird that in some cases the present isn't ignored by inducting the latest member to join to band. Who wasn't in the band during the band's most popular era.

So, please, read it again, and get back to me instead of just ignoring it because it's easier for you.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #502 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »

From MTV:

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere
Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with ? though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated ? which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" ? I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner ? and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this ? and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

I'm very proud to say that I went to middle school and high school and college with James and grew up about 10 minutes from him.  Well written article!

Ali

The world is watching and analysing.

It is a perfect reaction, to what has become a perfect storm  peace

I agree.  I'm proud of my old friend, and surprised, too.

Ali
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #503 on: April 12, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »

Unless Axl is the only TARGET cause - who hasnt got anything better to do but keep paying attention to Axl?
or what Axl eats!
where did Axl go?
what Axl said?
where axl went? Did you see Axl?
why axl didnt do something or did something else? What did he do? Did you understand?
what axl is going to do next?
why you didnt get what you wanted from Axl?
When axl is going to get back?
why axl has not given you what you wanted?
Hey, I got a better idea! Lets ambush axl and see what axl will do/say/act/sing/blink blink!!
let take what Axl said and twist it!
lets take what axl said and twist it! sell it, copy it & pass it to a friend!

Woaaaaah! This must mean W.A.R.!!! Rebecca, get the tanks out!!  Cheesy
( Who is Rebecca? You dont know!! Maybe its Axl fault!!!!)

Maybe some ppl can understand that Axl is a human too. Maybe they wont!  
Maybe he is got somethign better to do!
Maybe he hasnt!
Maybe he wanted time out!
Maybe he didnt!
Let him HAVE HIS OWN GODDAMN OPINION!!  Cheesy

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #504 on: April 12, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »

You built something from the ground up, but all people wanna talk about what was in its place 20 years ago.

Now why would anybody be slightly insulted by that?

I do not share, but I believe it's because the band is still playing the songs that the 20 years ago lineup has created.

Current lineup opens with jungle next to easy next to brownstone... closes with paradise city... the "highlight" of the last tour was civil war and estranged after 17 years...

Maybe it's time to play new songs and play less AFD songs... I'd love to see Ashba playing his solos and riffs, not slash's ones...

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #505 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »

From MTV:

An Open Letter To Axl Rose And Guns N' Roses Fans Everywhere
Our columnist comes out in support of the last remaining rock star after Axl's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kiss-off.

By James Montgomery

To: W. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

Greetings from New York City, which is approximately 490 miles from Cleveland, site of this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and roughly 50 bazillion miles from whatever Bedouin caravan Mr. Rose is currently encamped with ? though, to be honest, it feels much farther removed from both. Especially given the reaction most GN'R fans have had to Rose's open letter to the Hall of Fame, which he published Wednesday and which has subsequently turned him into the most hated man on the Internet.

Here's the thing (and, really, the reason I'm writing this letter): Despite the thousands of comments his letter has generated ? which largely run the gamut from "YOU SUCK" to "Axl Rose is a freaking whiny-ass bitch" ? I'm happy to be in the minority of people who seemingly have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome.

Because I support Axl Rose. And yes, I am aware that, in the past, I have called him "the creepy old guy with the Raiders jersey who lives on top of the hill" and compared him to Lil Wayne. And sure, I realize his recent, uh, output might not be on par with Guns' previous efforts (anyone can have a bad 20 years). But after reading his letter, none of those things matter. Or, if anything, they actually made it better for me. Because Axl Rose is a rock star. Maybe the last one standing. He is an anachronism and an enigma. There will never be another like him, and really, his missive to the Rock Hall is just further proof of all those points.

To wit: There are a lot of words in Rose's letter (more than 1,000 of them), none of which are "apology." This is because Axl never apologizes. Because he doesn't have to, and he doesn't care if that offends you. He also never allows himself to be backed into a corner ? and everything from his unrelenting blood feud with Slash to the 15-year wait for Chinese Democracy is basically proof of this ? and he intimates at several points in his letter that everyone from the HOF committee to his former bandmates was basically attempting to do just that. So rather than be intimidated, Rose just decided to walk away from the whole thing. As he writes, "No one's taking the ball and going home. ... From my perspective ... the ball's never been in our court."

It's easy to call Rose a jerk for doing this, but, really, he is a jerk. It's what makes him who he is and why he's still able to sell out arenas around the world. We've come to expect nothing less, and yet we're willing to vilify him for acting the way he always has.

In some bizarre way, by skipping the induction (and asking his name not be mentioned in absentia), Rose displays a supreme level of actual integrity. Unlike, say, Ozzy Osbourne, who previously asked that his band Black Sabbath no longer be considered for the Hall only to show up at the 2006 induction and call it an "achievement," Axl won't come crawling back. And unlike fellow 2006 inductees Blondie, he spared anyone the ugly onstage feud that surely would've erupted by simply saying, "No thanks." He does what he wants and only what he wants. And the same goes for that much-discussed GN'R reunion, which he shuts down in the letter because, really, it's "time to move on."

And that last quote should be taken to heart by all the Guns fans out there raging against Rose today. Because, really, it is time to move on. Move on from your misguided beliefs that Rose is ever going to change or suddenly have a moment of clarity. It's been, like, 20 years now, and he's never wavered from his original point: No reunion, not ever. Guns N' Roses are still a band and they still tour, and if you don't like it, then don't come out to the shows. Even though you probably still will.

So, sure, be angry with Axl today. Make claims of never listening to his music again (which would suppose he's ever going to make music again) and accuse him of putting himself before his fans. But don't take him to task for being the same person he's been for 25 years now, because, really, you wouldn't want him to change. Not for a reunion tour, not for an induction ceremony, not for anything. He will continue to blaze his own path whether you follow him or not. And I applaud him for doing so. He is Axl Rose, after all. He is rock and roll in an era where that phrase has increasingly less clout. We want him on that wall. We need him on that wall. It's about the only way we can sleep at night, knowing somewhere, Axl is watching over us all. And writing open letters to let us know he still cares.

Sincerely,
James Montgomery

I'm very proud to say that I went to middle school and high school and college with James and grew up about 10 minutes from him.  Well written article!

Ali

The world is watching and analysing.

It is a perfect reaction, to what has become a perfect storm  peace

I agree.  I'm proud of my old friend, and surprised, too.

Ali

It is the greatest response, so far, to the best communication by Axl Rose.

It is a magical moment in GN'R's history.

I know it is not to everyone's palette, but Axl has never been clearer about his current thoughts on GN'R, both past and present.

Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #506 on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »

And I'm talking about GN'R as well, but offering you examples on why some think it's weird that in some cases the present isn't ignored by inducting the latest member to join to band. Who wasn't in the band during the band's most popular era.

So, please, read it again, and get back to me instead of just ignoring it because it's easier for you.  ok

I'm not ignoring what you said. As much as I like RHCP and Metallica, I really don't care who they have, or indeed have not inducted. If you have beef with why they had current members inducted, maybe you should take it up with the HOF.

GN'R 07/06/06, 11/06/06, 23/07/06, 29/08/10, 18/10/10, 20/05/12

VR 01/09/04, 16/01/05, 09/06/05, 11/06/07, 15/03/08

Slash 03/07/10, 21/07/11, 08/10/12, 01/03/13
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Unless Axl is the only TARGET cause - who hasnt got anything better to do but keep paying attention to Axl?
or what Axl eats!
where did Axl go?
what Axl said?
where axl went? Did you see Axl?
why axl didnt do something or did something else? What did he do? Did you understand?
what axl is going to do next?
why you didnt get what you wanted from Axl?
When axl is going to get back?
why axl has not given you what you wanted?
Hey, I got a better idea! Lets ambush axl and see what axl will do/say/act/sing/blink blink!!
let take what Axl said and twist it!
lets take what axl said and twist it! sell it, copy it & pass it to a friend!

Woaaaaah! This must mean W.A.R.!!! Rebecca, get the tanks out!!  Cheesy
( Who is Rebecca? You dont know!! Maybe its Axl fault!!!!)

Maybe some ppl can understand that Axl is a human too. Maybe they wont!  
Maybe he is got somethign better to do!
Maybe he hasnt!
Maybe he wanted time out!
Maybe he didnt!
Let him HAVE HIS OWN GODDAMN OPINION!!  Cheesy

You remind me of horsey. Not in a good way.

liesl9
Opening Act

« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »

This topic has convinced me to emerge from lurkerdom...I don't always blindly support what Axl, or any other musician, does. I do support him here.

I'm wondering if the decision was made NOW because Axl and his camp had been trying to puzzle out a way to make it work. When the announcement first came out it seemed as though it was possible that he would attend the ceremony, but since then there's been so much media speculation and sniping. It could be that it took this long to really figure out that there wasn't going to be a way to do it.

What has been said above is true: Axl was damned if he did show up and damned if he didn't. What would have happened if he had been there? A meltdown from Adler onstage, as he pleaded with Axl to sing? Axl sitting there with Duff and Dizzy, watching uncomfortably as Adler played to the 'Appetite' CD?  The press making snide comments if Axl stood onstage with Slash and didn't play or speak to him; or the press making snide comments if Axl refused to stand with Slash? All the original members awkwardly making comments that ignored the other members? What? It was not going to be pretty, and the only ones who would win would be the RRHoF and the media outlets who live for conflict.

There will always be those who stump for a reunion, but it would have ramped up if Axl had chosen to stand or play with the other Appetite members. Adler's been desperate for a reunion for years, and despite what he says, it IS about the money with him...unlike Slash, Duff, Izzy or Matt, he hasn't been able to carve out any sort of lucrative career for himself. His resume since 1990 is basically a) taking drugs; b) appearing on a reality show about drugs and making a fool of himself; c) working with a band which essentially does covers of Guns N' Roses songs with a few originals thrown in. Of course he wants a reunion. There's nothing else he's going to to do.

Anyway, if Axl had been there, you know what the next line would have been: "look, they're OK standing onstage together. They could play a concert. Just one...oh look, they did one concert. They could do two more. Oh look, why not do a tour and get the AfD Guns N' Roses back together permanently?"

Sometimes the best way to avoid conflict is to get out of the conflict zone. Whatever Axl did here, he was going to lose, so he took the way that worked best for him and his band. I can respect that. He's a human being. He has a right to look out for himself and his current interests first.

What does he owe the fans here? Nothing, actually. He's letting them know he won't be there; that's a nice courtesy. The only thing a musician EVER owes the fans is putting on a good show when they do concerts, and Axl hasn't slacked there. The man is 50 and he still does 3 hour concerts, for God's sake.

As for the RRHoF, they've already garnered more money, publicity and press from this than they have in years. They aren't the losers. They profit from this; Guns N' Roses (in ANY incarnation) does not. People aren't going to pick up AfD, the Illusions or ChineseD based on the fact that GnR is a Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame band. They will pick up the CDs because they like the music.

People have turned down awards and honors before, from Oscar nominations to Olympic medals. It's their prerogative. If someone feels so strongly that they don't want to accept an honor, it's their choice. It doesn't harm anyone else.
Shoco
VIP

« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »

cant say im surprised, could have made this decision weeks ago instead of a couple of days before it

go to the show, collect the award, say thanks, pose for a picture, job done

have very little respect left for this man
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »

I'm not ignoring what you said. As much as I like RHCP and Metallica, I really don't care who they have, or indeed have not inducted. If you have beef with why they had current members inducted, maybe you should take it up with the HOF.

You don't care how others bands were treated, but you feel disappointed that Axl won't show up at an event that he feels doesn't welcome him.

You claim Axl doesn't acknowledge the era that made him what he is today.
You don't stop growing as a person one day. Are you saying nothing has happened to Axl since the old band?

So in other words, you just wanna feel disappointed and have no interest in trying to understand why Axl made his decision and how situations have been handled in the past by the RNRHOF?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:39:15 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »

You don't care how others bands were treated, but you feel disappointed that Axl won't show up at an event that he feels doesn't welcome him.

So in other words, you just wanna feel disappointed and have no interest in trying to understand why Axl made his decision and how situations have been handled in the past by the RNRHOF?

/jarmo

How can I put it more simple.... No I don't give a shit about other bands.

And yes I feel disappointed that Axl hasn't the stones to show up and face the other members. But hey that's just my opinion and to be quite honest I wasn't expecting the HOF to go without incident.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »

Of course you don't. It would require some thinking. It's easy to disregard everything and just go on with the same shit.

According to your original post "he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today."

Are you saying he's done nothing since? Is the same true for you too? Whatever you did 25 years ago, if you were born then, is what made you what you are today. Nothing else matters?

Maybe it's not your accomplishments what make you what you are, maybe it's the way you do them or maybe it's the things you do that nobody else knows about that makes you what you are?

Maybe a person isn't defined by the success he/she had, but by how they handled the truly tough times in between.

But according to you, all Axl is, was thanks to what happened between 1987 and 1991.

Somewhat disrespectful in my opinion.

Yes, many of us wouldn't be fans if it wasn't for that particular era, but it still doesn't mean you have to ignore what happened after.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:54:27 PM by jarmo » Logged

Shoco
VIP

« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »

Of course you don't. It would require some thinking. It's easy to disregard everything and just go on with the same shit.

According to your original post "he refuses to recognise the era that made him what he is today."

Are you saying he's done nothing since? Is the same true for you too? Whatever you did 25 years ago, if you were born then, is what made you what you are today. Nothing else matters?

Maybe it's not your accomplishments what make you what you are, maybe it's the way you do them or maybe it's the things you do that nobody else knows about that makes you what you are?

Maybe a person isn't defined by the success he/she had, but by how they handled the truly tough times in between.

But according to you, all Axl is, was thanks to what happened between 1987 and 1991.

/jarmo

hes been inducted for who and what he was 25 years ago, not for who and he is now
Yesterday
Rocker

"It seems like forever and a day....."

« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »

Axl may do as he wants, just like the rest of us.  He thought about and then voiced his opinion.  We have to live our own lives.  We are fans of Guns, old and new.  I am happy Guns is being inducted but other than that, my opinion of Guns n' Roses and Axl will not change because he isn't attending.  The last true rock star in my opinion.

Time just fades the pages in my book of memories...
wadey
Legend

« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »

/jarmo

hes been inducted for who and what he was 25 years ago, not for who and he is now

Axl Rose - Nominee for RHOF 2013 Lifetime acheivement award  ok

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #516 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »

But he's still the same.

It's pretty obvious for anybody who can read.

We keep going round in circles because so many seem to have selective reading capabilities.

The RNRHOF has decided it's up to them to decide what people associated with the band are important and who's not.

Now, everybody is entitled to have their opinion on that, but don't get all angry and upset if people who kept the band going disagree with you.

/jarmo

Terminator
Headliner

D.T.U.D.

« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »

No not that at all... just not interested.... if they were to have inducted all of current the current band, I'd give the same opinion on other bands too.

No I'm not saying he hasn't done anything since, because we all know that he has. I'm saying he is refusing to acknowledge the period in time in which he made a name for himself. And yes I was born 25 years ago.

The period of 1985 - 1993 made Axl what he is today. Post '93 he went into hiatus.... his reappearance since the early millennium hasn't really reached the heights that he did back then.

The minute anybody questions something about Axl or his band, you feel the need to jump in and criticize it. Somewhat disrespectful in my opinion.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »

Interesting facts about life
  • Your divorced parents won't marry again. They still love you.
  • Your died pet won't resurrect. Believe me, he loved you!!!
  • Christina Aguilera won't be thin again... Anyways I love her!!!
  • Axl Rose Has a history with old gnr and doesn't want to face them. Anyways Axl still loving you!!!

Respect the man... I am preety sure that some of you wants to see them hugged and crying together after paradise city... But that won't happen.

Axl didn't forget your wishes, and wrote a public open honest letter to all of you. All he want is to play rock and roll with the people he likes to be with.

I fully support him  love

FanSince87
Opening Act

« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

Hypothetical Question to all those who love Axl's letter and decision not to appear and who were anti-reunion:

What if Axl had instead written that he was showing up and would play 2 songs with the original members?

My guess is that every one of you would be praising his decision, saying how classy it was, and saying how excited you were to see the performance.  It's all hindsight now anyway.  Just asking the question.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: