Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:58:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170823 times)
Dave Jenno
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2012, 03:04:57 AM »

Axl has done the right thing as far as I'm concerned, on a number of levels. The whole thing had 'car crash' written all over it. Could've been a really embarrassing night for GN'R. Very respectful and explained his rationale. Disaster avoided. European Tour he we come  Grin
StardustGirl
Headliner

And though as long as this road seems...

« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »

On a bit of a side note, I wonder if all the bickering and fighting is partially due to GNR having evolved so much musically over the years . That is to say, AFD, The Illusions and CD all take the music to new territory and attract different kind of audience. Sure, some fans have evolved with the band, but you seemingly still have those who only pine for AFD2 (and 3, and etc). It's like we are talking about fans of different bands (only from a musical point of view, although there have been line up changes associated with stylistic change). Small wonder then that almost nobody can agree on anything.

I'm amazed that people did not comprehend already in 1991 that there would not be another AFD. As much as I love the debut, I would have never become a huge fan if it wasn't for the Illusions albums and would have been disappointed if the band only tried to copy AFD. You just can't top perfection. Trying to copy one's success just gets pathetic. Time to move on and widen your horizon, just like GNR has been doing (and hopefully will continue to do).

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »

Axl promised nobody anything.

And I agree with him. IF GNR were to be inducted AND perform : it should contain every member of the current lineup.

Lets look at the length of time people have been in GNR
Axl - 27 years
Dizzy - 21 years
Tommy - 14 years
Pitman - 12 years
Fortus - 10 years
Bumble - 7 years
Frank - 6 years
DJ - 3 years

And how long have the ex-members been in the band?
Duff - 12 years
Slash - 10 years
Robin - 9 years
Izzy - 5 years
Josh - 5 years
Brain - 5 years
Matt - 5 years
Adler - 5 years
Buckethead - 4 years
Gilby - 3 years

Fairly disrespectful to the current band, and their work, to invite the former members and not them. It's "Damned If You Do / Damned If You Don't". All those whining pussies upset that Axl won't be their bitch and sing the old songs with guys who haven't been in the band for over 20 years? Get over it. It'll never be 1991 again.

Yes, the current lineup is a better band.

Axl may use too many words, and talk like someone who has spent a little too long in therapy sometimes, but this is a decision that commands respect for the courage to stand up to others expectations and the integrity that it brings.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous post I've seen on this subject.

Who cares how long you have been in a band? REALLY?

So if u want to play this rationale out:

in 5 years.. 4 of the greatest albums of all time were released..

Thats all that matters.

This isn't a longevity award.

The point, which you completely failed to get, is that either GNR is inducted for ALL the work they have done with ALL the members - or not at all. The selective picking of who is and isn't "important" in the eyes of the RRHOF is fundamentally unfair and biased. Maybe that is Axl's point. To only induct a certain lineup is to clearly send a message that whatever happened post 1993 is meaningless : and THAT is wrong.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2012, 04:14:04 AM »

Maybe that is Axl's point.

I sure woud like to know for sure what his point is. It would carry more weight if he'd made it clearer.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #584 on: April 13, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »

Haha. Another 120 pages on the way for the very same reason now! Some will be disapointed others will be happy. Just get over it. Go to a show, drink some beers, smoke cigarettes and enjoy the good music. Not going to the RNRHF is Axl's decision. Period!

PS. I really loved what Axl has said and I hoped that he would turn the induction down just because of the legacy and just because noone was there when he needed someone!

"...It don't really matter..."
robd788
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #585 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:51 AM »

The Rock and Roll HOF is a farce.

There are plenty of bands that havent got in because someone on a panel of record execs etc doesnt like them, no matter what they have achieved in there careers (Bon Jovi etc).  Its not been voted for by the people that matter, the fans.

The only thing that matters in the wirld of GnR at the moment is a mega sold out European tour, heres to liverpool and London!!!!!

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #586 on: April 13, 2012, 05:53:45 AM »

To only induct a certain lineup is to clearly send a message that whatever happened post 1993 is meaningless : and THAT is wrong.

but just take a look of what really happened post 1993:
the band broke up and it took up 15 more years and many hired musicians for a new album release under the GN'R b(r)and name (with zero new releases in sight still!), including years and years of silence, rarely any communication or Axl talking, some cancelled shows/tours, some important CD members not in the band anymore...all not really worthy to be honoured and thats why the HOF decided to concentrate on the heyday of GN'R, the AFD/(early) UYI line-ups, rightfully being inducted.
using the "but the new band..."-excuse for disrespecting the glory past, which build up the GN'R monster and for what they're getting inducted, is out of line. you still can see the Slash-psychosis all-over and also in Axl's letter.

Re-Union time, baby!!
crash_diet
Rocker

"...too stupid to leave with nothing to loose..."

« Reply #587 on: April 13, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »

To only induct a certain lineup is to clearly send a message that whatever happened post 1993 is meaningless : and THAT is wrong.

but just take a look of what really happened post 1993:
the band broke up and it took up 15 more years and many hired musicians for a new album release under the GN'R b(r)and name (with zero new releases in sight still!), including years and years of silence, rarely any communication or Axl talking, some cancelled shows/tours, some important CD members not in the band anymore...all not really worthy to be honoured and thats why the HOF decided to concentrate on the heyday of GN'R, the AFD/(early) UYI line-ups, rightfully being inducted.
using the "but the new band..."-excuse for disrespecting the glory past, which build up the GN'R monster and for what they're getting inducted, is out of line. you still can see the Slash-psychosis all-over and also in Axl's letter.

Hmm...how can you be sure that this is the reason why HOF decided that? Probably you re guessing... Another guess, is that HOF really tries to focus on the old band, cause the industry knows that with a reunion can make a lot of million of dollars... And as i see it, those dollars are ok for Slash maybe, but not for Axl. Uncle axl 's proved over these years that he really cares only for the music and the GnR name and NOT for the dollars... and dont say that HOF is not part of the industry...
The way i see it, is this: i have 3 kids from my first marriage and 1 kid from my current relationshiop/marriage... someone decides for me, that those 3 kids are excellent students, made it to MIT and i should be awarded for that as a parent, but says nothing about my newer kid - although i m the same father, doing the same things with my kids all these years! And this "someone", invites me to reward me as a parent, and it s his decision who i m gonna take the credit for. To me, that s an insult. Going there is like saying "ok, i did great with my elder kids, but i screw up with the new one - and thank God noone is saying anything about it"! If those 3 kids were nice people, they would be isnulted too, with the situation...! In my mind, they could at least ask me about it, cause i m the father!
People took Axl in a postition that no matter what he d do, he d loose!
And i m just guessing all that, cause i m not in Axl 's mind, and i dont know him personally. The worst thing that fans do with their music idols, is that because they follow the carreer of a rock singer from the start to this day, they think they know the person! Which is completely wrong. All i know, is the public image of Axl, not Axl himself! And the public image, is the icon that media would want me to see. And i pray that i m lucky enough, to manage to "read between the lines" and "judge a book NOT by its cover"... But still, i can only guess, i sure dont know! And that being said, i cant be dissapointed - or pleased -  in a personal level, from a guy that i dont know in person! all i can do is be pleased - or dissapointed - by his music, his live perfomances etc... And, boy, i ve seen him with his former friend, and i ve seen him with his current friends, and always he blews my mind away! And at the end of the day, that is what really matters!

This i love -------> Prostitute
...a shot of vitamin C and a bottle of booze...
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #588 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »

Without the current band there would be no GNR. No tour. No records.

Would you elaborate on this more. Your 'records' comment. As to my knowledge, Chinese Democracy is the only album the current band has released. The only studio album released since 1993. Almost 20 years.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #589 on: April 13, 2012, 07:03:53 AM »

... Uncle axl 's proved over these years that he really cares only for the music and the GnR name and NOT for the dollars...

for the music? uhm, if you think so...
name and $$: not for the re-union dollars, yeah but off course he is in for the money, thats a big part for keeping the GN'R name (Axl 12/2008: "dropping the name became suicide").

Re-Union time, baby!!
crash_diet
Rocker

"...too stupid to leave with nothing to loose..."

« Reply #590 on: April 13, 2012, 07:13:01 AM »

... Uncle axl 's proved over these years that he really cares only for the music and the GnR name and NOT for the dollars...

name and $$: not for the re-union dollars, yeah but off course he is in for the money, thats a big part for keeping the GN'R name (Axl 12/2008: "dropping the name became suicide").
of couse, he is in for thw money... till 2008, he hasnt got any money at all, so he took the opportunity for the money..

This thing is getting insane: as i said, i m only guessing. you seem to be sure that - it s a fact! - "he is in for the money" ...

It s never seezes to amaze me: people are SURE what s going on, think they know what there is in someone else s head, someone they dont even know! people are sure that what this someone else is doing is wrong, very wrong, and still ,they say it to a forum that is built up to support this someone else! To me , is surreal... If Axl is wrong, if he is in "for the money", if he s disrespectfull to the fans, but at the same time he was the best man till 1993, then it s fine with me, but what r u doing here? There are tons of material in youtube, with the 87-93 era, and there are many places that support the same thing you do, so....

This i love -------> Prostitute
...a shot of vitamin C and a bottle of booze...
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #591 on: April 13, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »

Well if he was in it for the money, there could be plenty of other things other than a reunion he could do to get this, starting with not taking paying for Chinese Democracy into his own hands when Geffen stopped paying for it. Not many artists are willing to take that risk upon themselves.
And then there's selling his music to whoever asks for it. He doesn't let people use his music in a way he feels uncomfortable with, and when he does feel comfortable with it he's been known to give it free of charge (The Wrestler).
People are willing to pay to interview him, and his answer to this is usually no. He hasn't gone down the Kiss route of "if something exists, just brand it with the GN'R logo and sell it for double the price). Basically, the only thing he has done that is even slightly for money is keep the name. And you know what? That could have been more of a security measure to make sure he still at least makes a living than a cash-grab.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #592 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:28 AM »

dont twist my words, i said that money plays a big part for keeping the GN'R name, he himself talked about that in 12/2008.
keeping the name still allows to live his lifestyle in a ok way for him....a route that he wouldnt have that easily when dropping the name.

Re-Union time, baby!!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #593 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »

dont twist my words, i said that money plays a big part for keeping the GN'R name, he himself talked about that in 12/2008.
keeping the name still allows to live his lifestyle in a ok way for him....a route that he wouldnt have that easily when dropping the name.

I'm not twisting your words. You said he's in it for the money. I gave a short and incomplete list of things he would be doing if he was in it for the money.

Wanting to earn a living and being in it for the money are two different things.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #594 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:39 AM »

This thing is getting insane: as i said, i m only guessing. you seem to be sure that - it s a fact! - "he is in for the money" ...

It s never seezes to amaze me: people are SURE what s going on, think they know what there is in someone else s head, someone they dont even know! people are sure that what this someone else is doing is wrong, very wrong, and still ,they say it to a forum that is built up to support this someone else! To me , is surreal... If Axl is wrong, if he is in "for the money", if he s disrespectfull to the fans, but at the same time he was the best man till 1993, then it s fine with me, but what r u doing here? There are tons of material in youtube, with the 87-93 era, and there are many places that support the same thing you do, so....
+ there are many places to constantly bash and spread negativity towards him and the band. which, ironically, even more justifies my opinion about all this, which is clearly a huge respect for Axl.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #595 on: April 13, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »

i said and meant it in combination with money/name. and Axl even said so himself.
he doesnt have to do all the other money things....because of goin on with the name. it would be totally different without it!

still hoping for some HOF worthy night tomorrow  beer

Re-Union time, baby!!
wadey
Legend

« Reply #596 on: April 13, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »

Wanting to earn a living and being in it for the money are two different things.

i said that about 10 pages ago  ok
some other fans just dont get it though, which is really puzzling, fruatrating, funny and a little bit sad  confused

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #597 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »

still hoping for some HOF worthy night tomorrow  beer
I'm sure Adler's "speech" will be unforgetable hihi

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #598 on: April 13, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »

entertaining hopefully  Grin

so Dizzy also not coming, right? how unexpected!!!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #599 on: April 13, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »

Will this event be televised?

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: