Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170783 times)
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #600 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »

Yes. Unlike revolution apparently.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #601 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »

My personal feelings is that it's tragic that they all can't come together just to recognize what they created. They dont have to be friends, they dont have to perform. But they should respect the legacy they ALL created. A band is the sum of all parts. THEY created something special. We wouldnt even be talking about this if it wasnt for ALL of them. Its just a shame they cant come together to honor it. That being said I respect what Axl is doing.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #602 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »

Will this event be televised?

HBO May 5th

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Hammer1
Headliner

GNR Fan

« Reply #603 on: April 13, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1682996/axl-rose-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-open-letter.jhtml

Great article!  ok
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #604 on: April 13, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »

I think the feud between Axl and Slash may be at a different level, which believe it or not no one has mentioned. Obviously Axl is cool with Duff and Izzy and I believe even Matt. He even hung out with Steven, but obviously is upset about his big mouth and deservedly so. Slash is still the one relationship yet to heal. To be fair, I can see how Axl may have been disappointed and upset about their fallout and some things Slash has said over the years. Although I mistakenly believed the Hof was an opportunity for them to get together and hash things out on a personal level (not for business or reunion purposes) that is not going to happen either.

My personal belief is that Axl may still be upset at Slash for the former, and may have been inclined to squash their beef, but on some other level he may feel as he is giving in to the so called industry and may think that by befriending slash again he did what the industry wanted him to do. Therefore, his pride and will to not show what he may believe is a weakness or surrender to the industries wishes and demands he will sacrifice and continue being estranged with slash.

I had no ill conceived notions of a reunion but would have liked these guys to be cool with each other because they were practically brothers and do not believe that their issues at least what we have knowledge and have been privy to are worth a lifetime of hatred and animosity toward each other.

Axl was right that divorces happen, and people move on, but even divorced couples can remain civil with each other and even interact with each other even if it is solely for the kids sake. It would be cool if they could have gotten together to accept an award for something they accomplished together at least for the fans sake.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #605 on: April 13, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »

I think the feud between Axl and Slash may be at a different level, which believe it or not no one has mentioned. Obviously Axl is cool with Duff and Izzy and I believe even Matt. He even hung out with Steven, but obviously is upset about his big mouth and deservedly so. Slash is still the one relationship yet to heal. To be fair, I can see how Axl may have been disappointed and upset about their fallout and some things Slash has said over the years. Although I mistakenly believed the Hof was an opportunity for them to get together and hash things out on a personal level (not for business or reunion purposes) that is not going to happen either.

My personal belief is that Axl may still be upset at Slash for the former, and may have been inclined to squash their beef, but on some other level he may feel as he is giving in to the so called industry and may think that by befriending slash again he did what the industry wanted him to do. Therefore, his pride and will to not show what he may believe is a weakness or surrender to the industries wishes and demands he will sacrifice and continue being estranged with slash.

I had no ill conceived notions of a reunion but would have liked these guys to be cool with each other because they were practically brothers and do not believe that their issues at least what we have knowledge and have been privy to are worth a lifetime of hatred and animosity toward each other.

Axl was right that divorces happen, and people move on, but even divorced couples can remain civil with each other and even interact with each other even if it is solely for the kids sake. It would be cool if they could have gotten together to accept an award for something they accomplished together at least for the fans sake.

Yeah, I didn't think they'd perform, but thought maybe it could have been an excuse and venue for Axl and Slash to get over whatever it is between them.
 I don't really care for a reunion. I would have loved to see them play live at the awards, and then go their separate ways.
They have all gone in different musical directions, and not much has changed since the split. Axl did go with a more straight ahead rock guitarist in Ashba, but I don't think Slash would be down for the ballad and pro tool heavy Chinese Democracy style, nor Axl for the more meat and potatoes rock n roll that Slash is into.
They decided they couldn't come to a compromise way back, and both seem intent on their paths, and that is cool with me.

If they aren't inspired by one another anymore there is no point. I don't want them to reunite, hire Rick Rubin, and put out their version of Death Magnetic, or Use Your Illusion III (though I would like to think UYI III is in the vaults somewhere ready to be released).

They seem pretty content w/o each other, but it would have been cool to see one more performance, and maybe guest appearances down the road like has been done w/Izzy and Duff. That would hinge on them getting over their differences, and that's clearly not in the cards at this point,  maybe ever. That's fine.

Was hoping at the very least Axl would show up and perform something with somebody, like he did w/Elton, the Boss, Petty etc.
Could have been a cool night, and worth the trip.

I'd like to see Slash and Wood go back and fourth on the Stay with Me outtro.
gnrpatience
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #606 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »

This letter is one of the many reasons i support and will always support Axl.  I really never expect a letter from him but always thought he would not show up. He was very honest and open mind.

Move On! The show still goes on!!
FanSince87
Opening Act

« Reply #607 on: April 13, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »

To only induct a certain lineup is to clearly send a message that whatever happened post 1993 is meaningless : and THAT is wrong.

but just take a look of what really happened post 1993:
the band broke up and it took up 15 more years and many hired musicians for a new album release under the GN'R b(r)and name (with zero new releases in sight still!), including years and years of silence, rarely any communication or Axl talking, some cancelled shows/tours, some important CD members not in the band anymore...all not really worthy to be honoured and thats why the HOF decided to concentrate on the heyday of GN'R, the AFD/(early) UYI line-ups, rightfully being inducted.
using the "but the new band..."-excuse for disrespecting the glory past, which build up the GN'R monster and for what they're getting inducted, is out of line. you still can see the Slash-psychosis all-over and also in Axl's letter.

100% agree with this. 

And to all those (Jarmo, for example) that keep saying the HOF is somehow disrespecting the new lineup by not inviting them, why not ask the new lineup instead of assuming what they think...

[In an interview prior to the show, latter-day GN'R bassist Tommy Stinson insisted that he couldn't care less about the Rock Hall or about excluding current members from the induction.

"Axl probably really appreciates it," Stinson said.

"I don't really give a [expletive]. . . . If they all want to go play a song and get their award, I would have no problem with it. Do I think I'm part of that? Hell no! It's all about the original band, and that's fine. It's all about 'Appetite,' really." ]

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #608 on: April 13, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

And to all those (Jarmo, for example) that keep saying the HOF is somehow disrespecting the new lineup by not inviting them, why not ask the new lineup instead of assuming what they think...

[In an interview prior to the show, latter-day GN'R bassist Tommy Stinson insisted that he couldn't care less about the Rock Hall or about excluding current members from the induction.

"I don't really give a [expletive]. . . . If they all want to go play a song and get their award, I would have no problem with it. Do I think I'm part of that? Hell no! It's all about the original band, and that's fine. It's all about 'Appetite,' really." ]

I have to commend guys like Tommy, Bumble, and DJ for their amicable attitude towards the old band the guys in it. They don't let Axl's disdain for certain guys rub off. Seems like they have a fairly realistic viewpoint on the whole thing, much more so than some people on this board actually.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #609 on: April 13, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

I can respect Axl not wanting to attend for the reasons that he indicated, but I think it is a mistake to decline induction altogether because it does disappoint fans, it does suggest disrespect, and it does give haters (more) ammunition to criticize. I personally think the wiser course would have been to say "thank you for the honor but I will not be able to attend." Leave it at that. To decline the induction is also awkward because without Axl the original band never would have gotten to HOF status. So, this move really kind of de-legitimizes the induction for the rest of the members.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Kittyrock
Opening Act

Guns Addict. Axl Fanatic.

« Reply #610 on: April 13, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

Axl was so honored to induct and speak for Elton John at the 1994 Hall Of Fame. He thought it meant something then. A lot of people on here were saying positive things about the HOF until Axl decided it was not worth his time for whatever reason and then the posts started becoming negative about the Hall. I have been a fan since the beginning and really feel let down as I'm sure a lot of you do, but just pretend like it is the rocking cool rebel thing to do....yeah whatever. I'm sure no one will agree with me but oh well.   Lips Sealed
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

I can respect Axl not wanting to attend for the reasons that he indicated, but I think it is a mistake to decline induction altogether because it does disappoint fans, it does suggest disrespect, and it does give haters (more) ammunition to criticize. I personally think the wiser course would have been to say "thank you for the honor but I will not be able to attend." Leave it at that. To decline the induction is also awkward because without Axl the original band never would have gotten to HOF status. So, this move really kind of de-legitimizes the induction for the rest of the members.

In the end, the reward is only worth as much as each individual recipient deems it.
Doesn't seem that it means a whole lot to any of them personally, save for maybe Steven.
They've all said it's more about the fans.

Axl not showing does nothing to take away from what GN'R accomplished back then.
Axl obviously is not nominated if not for the work he helped create w Slash, Duff and company, and vice versa.

That era of GN'R to many is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. They didn't need to be inducted into a HOF to know that.
FanSince87
Opening Act

« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »

Axl was so honored to induct and speak for Elton John at the 1994 Hall Of Fame. He thought it meant something then. A lot of people on here were saying positive things about the HOF until Axl decided it was not worth his time for whatever reason and then the posts started becoming negative about the Hall. I have been a fan since the beginning and really feel let down as I'm sure a lot of you do, but just pretend like it is the rocking cool rebel thing to do....yeah whatever. I'm sure no one will agree with me but oh well.   Lips Sealed

I've said the same.  The ppl who say it is so cool that he said "no" would also likely be on here saying how cool it was if he had said "yes".
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #613 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »

I have to commend guys like Tommy, Bumble, and DJ for their amicable attitude towards the old band the guys in it. They don't let Axl's disdain for certain guys rub off. Seems like they have a fairly realistic viewpoint on the whole thing, much more so than some people on this board actually.

Just because they said nice words about the past and that makes you feel all fuzzy inside doesn't mean anything. For all you know they just want to stay out of it. They are 100% on Axl's side.

Axl was so honored to induct and speak for Elton John at the 1994 Hall Of Fame. He thought it meant something then. A lot of people on here were saying positive things about the HOF until Axl decided it was not worth his time for whatever reason and then the posts started becoming negative about the Hall. I have been a fan since the beginning and really feel let down as I'm sure a lot of you do, but just pretend like it is the rocking cool rebel thing to do....yeah whatever. I'm sure no one will agree with me but oh well.   Lips Sealed

I've said the same.  The ppl who say it is so cool that he said "no" would also likely be on here saying how cool it was if he had said "yes".

No. Stop trolling now.

RRHOF has gone way downhill since 1994 anyway. It's become a joke and I already knew this before this whole circus started with GNR.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:15:10 PM by volcano62 » Logged

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »

That's one way of seeing it.

It's not unlikely that Tommy doesn't give a fuck about this award.

On the other hand, sounds like this interview was done after the RNRHOF had announced who they thought was worthy of being inducted.

What is he supposed to say? "Yes, I'm sad, I wanted to be in there too!"? Really?

Just because the current band members understand the achievements of the old band, doesn't mean they would be totally indifferent to an accolade for their own achievements.

but just take a look of what really happened post 1993:
the band broke up and it took up 15 more years and many hired musicians for a new album release under the GN'R b(r)and name (with zero new releases in sight still!), including years and years of silence, rarely any communication or Axl talking, some cancelled shows/tours, some important CD members not in the band anymore...all not really worthy to be honoured and thats why the HOF decided to concentrate on the heyday of GN'R, the AFD/(early) UYI line-ups, rightfully being inducted.
using the "but the new band..."-excuse for disrespecting the glory past, which build up the GN'R monster and for what they're getting inducted, is out of line. you still can see the Slash-psychosis all-over and also in Axl's letter.

Let's refresh your memory a bit.

Very few bands have stable line ups. Some line ups of bands are more recognized because they were together at the right moment.

The AFD line up lasted for less than five years. They were working with different drummers in 1990. At least three different ones. Hired musicians playing with GN'R because Adler wasn't capable.

Just like Josh Freese, Martin Chambers didn't play a single show with GN'R. But he was there at some point. For example! Does that make Steven Adler less worthy? No....

Did you ever check your album liner notes? Check Use Your Illusion for example. Lots of "hired musicians" on those albums. What? Paul Tobias co-wrote one of those songs? No way! That's only something that happened after your heroes left!

The UYI line up lasted for for about a year. Izzy left in 1991, remember?

The albums features a drummer who wasn't in the band when the albums were released.

The band that were on the majority of the tour supporting the albums' release, didn't record the albums.

Does this sound familiar?

When you talk about line up changes, you conveniently forget that the old band changed members too. Within the time frame that you are celebrating. They cancelled shows, there were riots, there was controversy, there were "silent periods" when Axl didn't talk to the press etc.

You're trying to rewrite history.

Another thing that hasn't changed: Axl.

Thank God for that.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:12:56 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »

Thank God for that.

/jarmo

Indeed. This is why I respect the man so much. His integrity and ability to stick to his beliefs are unmatched by any other human being.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #616 on: April 13, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »

You know, I am some one who initially was not happy about the letter.  It even bothered me... but now that its been a few days I realize that it really is just Axl being Axl.  I think the MTV article sums it up pretty well.  Love him or hate him, he isn't going to change.  I think that's why we always liked him and all incarnations of GNR.  Its our version of a soap opera. 

Like Duff said, you only have power over yourself.  Would I still have liked to see Axl on that stage?  Sure.  But he is doing what he believes is best for him, just like Slash, Duff, Matt and Steven believe that going to the ceremony is best for them.  You can feel disappointed, but you cannot be mad at him or any of the other guys.  No one is forcing any of these guys to do anything against their will. 

So to everyone in Cleveland this weekend have fun.  And congratulations to all GNR members being inducted this weekend (whether they want it or not  ok)!
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #617 on: April 13, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

Thank God for that.

/jarmo

Indeed. This is why I respect the man so much. His integrity and ability to stick to his beliefs are unmatched by any other human being.

I think the whole life is about changes. Not to change doesn?t sound good to me.....sticking to one?s beliefs CAN be a good thing - but it can also mean being stubborn. Everybody has his or her own truth - which never means this IS the truth.....

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »

In the end, the reward is only worth as much as each individual recipient deems it.
Doesn't seem that it means a whole lot to any of them personally, save for maybe Steven.
They've all said it's more about the fans.

Axl not showing does nothing to take away from what GN'R accomplished back then.
Axl obviously is not nominated if not for the work he helped create w Slash, Duff and company, and vice versa.

That era of GN'R to many is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. They didn't need to be inducted into a HOF to know that.
Agreed. 

A HOF for art seems weird to begin with.  You add the fact that the inductions or the artists/bands and individual members are inconsistent as hell, and it's hard to put much stock in this institution.

This isn't baseball or basketball or football or hockey where there are quantifiable statistics abound that you can objectively judge someone's performance by, this is music.  It's completely subjective!

Ali
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »

What is he supposed to say? "Yes, I'm sad, I wanted to be in there too!"? Really?

/jarmo

Is Tommy a liar?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: