Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 170845 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #700 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »

Can we close the topics regarding the HOF now? Smiley

We have a new tour in less than a month! ok
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #701 on: April 15, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »

I can't speak on his behalf.

Maybe a better choice would've been recordings.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #702 on: April 15, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »

I can't speak on his behalf.

Maybe a better choice would've been recordings.

/jarmo

You're exactly right. That was my entire point nothing more. Thank you! Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #703 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »

Wether I buy a single, an album, a compilation, or whatever, it#s a record to me. I don't just buy albums. Hence to me, a released recording is a record. More than one release is a plural. It's no big deal. I used a word with a different interpretation of the exact meaning to other people. BFD.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #704 on: April 15, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »

Interestingly enough, that whole thing has changed with the digital releases.

Back in the day when you wanted one song from an album, you had to buy the album. Unless the song was available as a single.

Nowadays, you can often buy individual songs from multiple releases/albums/records as you wish.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #705 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

I also noted the shitty spelling and grammar. Like a kid wrote it.

I didn't write it, just posted it.  But please, do elaborate.  Again, and again, didn't mean he didn't have the conversation. Huh

No, again, no one's saying he didn't have the conversation. Just when you combine existing mistakes with the fact that no direct quotes given, it gives one the impression that what's being relayed isn't necessarily entirely accurate.

Ali

I was responding to the other guy, but...existing mistakes?  He got a date wrong.  No direct quotes?  It was a casual conversation from January, not an interview.  And I don't really care -- read it if you want, don't if you don't want to.  But at this point this is getting a little silly. Cheesy

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #706 on: April 15, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »

Interestingly enough, that whole thing has changed with the digital releases.

Back in the day when you wanted one song from an album, you had to buy the album. Unless the song was available as a single.

Nowadays, you can often buy individual songs from multiple releases/albums/records as you wish.

/jarmo

Right and a single is usually separate meaning you didn't have to buy the entire album or record. It's a big difference from 'records' and recordings.  Wink

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #707 on: April 15, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

36 pages now and I havent seen anyone putting the effort to let everybody else know, on this forum at least, a little bit more about the hall of frame.

I had researched quite a few months ago, probably because I read that gnr may be inducted and rest , my conclusion was: whatever!

Who decided which band will be inducted and by which criteria? Which is the executive board of HAll of Fame , CEO & which are their associates , thats the kind of info I would expect to see from you to get an opinion. So dont wanna spoil your fan, but are you just arguing so you can still argue...........

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #708 on: April 15, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »

I'm surprised at how supportive everyone is of Axl's letter. It would have been big of him to put issues aside and perform 2 or 3 songs to put closure to the legacy of what made Guns N Roses great and move on.  Yes, you're right that he has the right do whatever he wants for whatever his reasons are but he wants to be good to fans under his conditions and doesn't care about what fans want.  And it's fans who grew up with GNR in 1988 - 1993 that made him who he is today, rather than the few fans who purchased Chinese Democracy.  He clearly has a resentment toward "old gnr" and "old gnr" fans.  Don't let the words in that letter fool you, half of it was written by a lawyer (how Rock N Roll), re-read it and say with a straight face these are Axl's words. (below is just one example)

I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of ?Guns N? Roses?.

I will continue to support his versions of GNR and I'm beyond, like most of you that the old band would ever do anything more than event like this (Like Pink Floyd). Whether most of you want to admit it or not we all know Axl can be a d*ck and much of what was written in that letter proves it again.  If he insisted on not going he could have provided a letter like Izzy's.

Welldone Roger! Ofcourse and it would have da related text from a lawyer, (you gonna pay for any lawsuits or.... should it 'd be charged to the account in absentia?) LOL!
Axl is being himself, in my opinion. Some dig it, some do not, tuff. Fans who grew up between 86 whatever -93? yada yada. OK I understand your point - whatever mamma pasta drama - BUT Axl did not stop existing from '1993' onwards, you grasp this concept?

FYI; if he was not the way he is, he wouldnt neither sing/compose/perform/record etc the way he does. So feel free to buy Mariah Carey or Celine Dion lol

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #709 on: April 15, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »

Wether I buy a single, an album, a compilation, or whatever, it#s a record to me. I don't just buy albums. Hence to me, a released recording is a record. More than one release is a plural. It's no big deal. I used a word with a different interpretation of the exact meaning to other people. BFD.

This is not my opinion it is FACT. It is FORMAL. It is OFFICIAL.

Single, EP, LP = RECORDS

Single

EP: Extended Play

LP: Long Play

All of the above are known to industry professionals as RECORDS.

I don't know why you guys are obsessing over such a simple and well known fact. They are records. Give the guy a break. If he would have said "LP's" yes he would have been wrong.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #710 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »

Tell us something we don't know.

Are you saying the selection process involves counting the number of recordings each person has contributed to?

The band has released original material since the former members quit. That's a fact. The RNRHOF, for some unknown reason, decided to overlook this while not doing the same for bands like Metallica and the Red Hot Chili Peppers by inducting current members of said bands. 

/jarmo

No, it has nothing to do with the selection process or the RNRHOF. Nothing!

markreed posted saying the current lineup had released 'records' meaning more than one. I haven't seen them or heard of them. Have you? The Spaghetti Incident? in 1993 was the last studio recorded band album released by the old lineup. The next studio recorded band album released was Chinese Democracy in 2009 and that was by the current lineup for the most part. Which would make the 'records' comment untrue.

If I'm wrong, please show me another album that's been released by the new lineup. I would like to go purchase it.

im curious... whats your personal opinion? Had the HOF included Chin Dem era members, would Axl been more likely to attend? I think the HOF should have at least addressed Chin Dem as a release
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #711 on: April 15, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »

im curious... whats your personal opinion? Had the HOF included Chin Dem era members, would Axl been more likely to attend?

They did include a current member: Dizzy Reed.  And I think it would've made Axl more likely to attend, yes, though not a guarantee, since Slash, Steven, and Duff would still be there.  The animosity Axl has for the former members would've been a massive obstacle regardless of what members/eras were included, and I seriously doubt there would've been any way to give ALL the members and ALL the fans EXACTLY what they wanted or hoped for.

I think the HOF should have at least addressed Chin Dem as a release

Why?  Axl chose not to be there, so they'd be addressing an album that didn't feature a single member who actually appeared onstage.  Furthermore, Axl very specifically asked not to even be referred to, directly or indirectly.  Well, mentioning Chinese Democracy would've been a reference to him more than the band that was onstage last night.  Billie Joe Armstrong kept his Axl speech short, sweet, and complimentary, the way it should've been given Axl's absence.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:45:42 PM by Bridge » Logged
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #712 on: April 16, 2012, 12:37:27 AM »

I'm confused as to how the HOF dictates this stuff, because it ISN"T consistent. But I do not feel that any member in GN'R as it stands does not deserve to be in the HOF ; except for Axl and Dizzy.

To be honest, and everyone is going to be pissed at this I think the Hall Of Fame just looked at Metallica/RHCP and said for the most part their "sound" and "style" has been consistent with member changes ; nothing to drastic has ever really happened with each different line up. With Guns N' Roses when you hear AFD/Lies/UYI it's all very similar sound ; while the band expanded on UYI it still had a common sonic quality. Obviously blandness is not a quality to be celebrated, but when you hear CD it's a totally different ball park ; to the point where besides Axl Rose singing it sounds like a completely different "band" ( technically it is, but it isn't because of the name etc..) so the opted to include only the members of the albums they felt were associated with the "sound" they wanted to induct?
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #713 on: April 16, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »

Wow. Fighty. Get over it.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #714 on: April 16, 2012, 08:18:06 AM »

im curious... whats your personal opinion? Had the HOF included Chin Dem era members, would Axl been more likely to attend? I think the HOF should have at least addressed Chin Dem as a release

It's not my decision at all. It's the HOF's deal so it's their decision. Should Chinese Democracy have been addressed? Maybe. Probably. I think Axl would have been more likely to attend. I think he appreciates the past but I also believe that he wants to move on with a new era which is completely okay.

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #715 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »

Maybe Axl, if he really want to let people know about this band,  has to release a fuckin video... Live, studio or whatever...

He can blame only himself and his lack of communication if this band mainly stands in the shadow of the afd line up.

Probably if this line up in the last 10 years could made itself truly recognizable in the mainstream, it would have got an induction too...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:27:12 AM by ITARocker » Logged
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #716 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »

Probably if this line up in the last 10 years could made itself truly recognizable in the mainstream, it would have got an induction too...

No matter how much media ass kissing you want the band to do, fact remains GNR was not inducted into the HOF last Saturday.
Are you confused as to who is in GNR?

I'll help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N'_Roses

and

www.gunsnroses.com

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #717 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:59 AM »

Are you confused as to who played on the albums they were evidently being inducted for? For fuck's sake, someone fix this fucking record...
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #718 on: April 16, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »

Are you confused as to who played on the albums they were evidently being inducted for? For fuck's sake, someone fix this fucking record...

Are you confused these said members quit? (1 got fired)

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #719 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »

Are you confused these said members quit? (1 got fired)

No. I know that. But considering even Axl said he doesn't mind them celebrating their achievements with the band, I find it absolutely fucking ridiculous that people like you go on and on and fucking on about how they don't deserve it, even though the legacy of Guns N' Roses is just as much their's as it Axl's. And I'll say it again... Axl himself acknowledges this in the very letter this topic is about!!!

Maybe the current line-up will get the recognition they deserve in the future. Maybe they won't. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter because Saturday was about celebrating the band when they were at their most popular. That's it. Move the fuck on. Seriously... you keep on telling everyone else to move on and look to the future. Please take your own advice and stop insulting people who have just celebrated what got them (all of them) where they are today! Concentrate on the current line-up. Allow other people to enjoy Guns N' Roses in its entirety (meaning both past and present, and God willing, future).
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: