Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:09:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227773 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's letter to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It M  (Read 171660 times)
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #720 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

Axl chose not to be there......... furthermore, Axl very specifically asked not to even be referred to, directly or indirectly.

One of the best points that statement had was exactly those two words, directly or indirectly. It killed it! & whatever the hell happend with media being informative I suppose needs no explanation when it comes to Axl - Not sure why some people find it ironic or him acting funny for the lack of a better word by releasing a statement. Even by releasing just ONE statement it becomes pea soup that already would have been made anyway & any old fan is already aware of this, big deal keep stirring, he did not show up regardless. Plus, getting claims that he condemned or inssulted when this was already stated he had no intention to - Do not remix my post, read the statement again. 

I thank him SO MUCH for this statement -for my own reasons! love 

"KILL YOUR LIES!-Not my 'Idol'. MOTHER.FUCKER - Whomever the fuck said that I needed no one to look up to anyway again?........... [/i]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:07:51 PM by 3STRANG3D » Logged

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
ARX
Opening Act

« Reply #721 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:33 PM »

im curious... whats your personal opinion? Had the HOF included Chin Dem era members, would Axl been more likely to attend? I think the HOF should have at least addressed Chin Dem as a release

It's not my decision at all. It's the HOF's deal so it's their decision. Should Chinese Democracy have been addressed? Maybe. Probably. I think Axl would have been more likely to attend. I think he appreciates the past but I also believe that he wants to move on with a new era which is completely okay.

Thats kind of my point... celebrate the past while still embracing the future.
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #722 on: April 16, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »

So to conclude this story:

Founding (= original) GNR members: Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner, Ole Beich NOT HONORED
Current GNR members: Axl, DJ, Bumblefoot, 4tus, Tommy, Dizzy, Frank, Pitman NOT HONORED
Hall of Shame attendees: Pretty much everyone else, not counting Weber, Tobias, Finck, Buckethead and Brain who are also a big part of the band history

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #723 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »

Any discussion that includes Ole Beich and Rob Gardner should just be automatically ignored. It's amazing the ridiculous levels some people will take this shit to.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #724 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »

Any discussion that includes Ole Beich and Rob Gardner should just be automatically ignored. It's amazing the ridiculous levels some people will take this shit to.

Why this disrespect towards the original GN'R?  Tongue

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

Thats kind of my point... celebrate the past while still embracing the future.  

Would like to add something to this: Hoping this time it can be understood, I might even elaborate on it more & open the tale from the crypt....

Sometime in there, between past & future, there was always a present. You ever sord of chanced to stand still, almost in awe, by the degree of stupidity & idiocy people may have? Dont get it twisted as he said, I am not excluding myself cause I am now 32 but have been a teenager etc etc, EMBRACING the future by celebrating the past requires arms of a superman, with spiritual strength quite possibly that of a God and mental stability of a gravestone and as far as I have always been aware, although there was nothing released etc, he has been alive. So fameholed it or not, I am glad & will have a show to attend to!

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #726 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »

Why this disrespect towards the original GN'R?  Tongue

hihi

/jarmo

hihi Touche

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #727 on: April 16, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »

Volcano:

Other than Axl and Izzy the other "founding/original members" have nothing to do with the success of this band ouside of Tracii Guns having an affect on the name. What got Guns N' Roses into the Hall of Fame was Appetite for Destruction and and the AFD Lineup coupled with the success of the following 5-6 years.

Also Axl and Izzy were honored, and as was their right, they chose not to attend.

While nothing any of these men does should be based around my wishes or the wishes of any other fans... I really feel like there was an opportunity to showcase 25 years of this band by having bits and pieces of each line up from AFD thru CD perform. I feel like the exposure from the May 5 broadcast would have only helped anything that the current lineup does in the future. I know we have seen Izzy and Duff perform in the past with the current lineup, but I really would have liked to have seen Slash on stage with the guitar talent in the band now. I know the fans of the new band don't think he can hold a candle to the current guitar players, but it would have been fun to watch.

I understand Axl more than anyone else is not looking to win a popularity contest, but I feel like he comes out of this past weekend looking worse than ever in the eyes of the general music buying/ticket buying public.

I do wish that Adler could have just shut his mouth and gone along for the ride.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #728 on: April 16, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »

Founding (= original) GNR members: Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner, Ole Beich NOT HONORED
Current GNR members: Axl, DJ, Bumblefoot, 4tus, Tommy, Dizzy, Frank, Pitman NOT HONORED
Hall of Shame attendees: Pretty much everyone else, not counting Weber, Tobias, Finck, Buckethead and Brain who are also a big part of the band history

Ok I think I'll just hold back and bite my lip on this.

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #729 on: April 16, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »

Sure, we can add bias to it. That's like the FOX News story of events.

Here is what happened.

So to conclude this story ;

Hall Of Fame inducts ex-members of Guns N' Roses who participated, help shape and sound the records that "Guns N' Roses" are primarily known for. Members of which appear of 5/6 Guns N' Roses Albums. Members Pre-Appetite are not inducted as they contributed little to GN'R, Current GN'R members aside from Dizzy and Axl are not inducted as the hall most likely feels the contribution that the line-up AFD-UYI gave to the rock world greatly outweighs what GN'R as a unit today has done. There is no disrespect in this statement, there is confusion however as to why Metallica/RHCP "new" members are inducted.

The induction is extended to Axl, who declines, as his focus is the current incarnation of GN'R. Izzy also does not attend. The remaining ex-members invite two people they feel comfortable with to share songs that people identify as intrinsically "Guns N' Roses".

Anything beyond that is letting emotional context get in the way.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:23:27 PM by WTTJ_91 » Logged
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #730 on: April 16, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »

I know we have seen Izzy and Duff perform in the past with the current lineup, but I really would have liked to have seen Slash on stage with the guitar talent in the band now. I know the fans of the new band don't think he can hold a candle to the current guitar players, but it would have been fun to watch.

I love Slash and all of the AFD members, but I don't think there is ANY way he would willingly share the stage with the current GNR.  I truly believe that if everyone else in the band agreed to allow the current GNR to play at the HOF, Slash would definitely refuse.  Because the night was about the AFD/UYI lineup, it wouldn't have surprised me if Duff/Izzy would pass on that plan as well. 
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #731 on: April 16, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

I know we have seen Izzy and Duff perform in the past with the current lineup, but I really would have liked to have seen Slash on stage with the guitar talent in the band now. I know the fans of the new band don't think he can hold a candle to the current guitar players, but it would have been fun to watch.

I love Slash and all of the AFD members, but I don't think there is ANY way he would willingly share the stage with the current GNR.  I truly believe that if everyone else in the band agreed to allow the current GNR to play at the HOF, Slash would definitely refuse.  Because the night was about the AFD/UYI lineup, it wouldn't have surprised me if Duff/Izzy would pass on that plan as well. 

Everything at this point is all speculation, assumptions.

We have no idea what anyone would say, to anything. Who cares if he would or wouldn't. If they do one day, great. If they don't, great.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #732 on: April 16, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »

Everything at this point is all speculation, assumptions.

We have no idea what anyone would say, to anything. Who cares if he would or wouldn't. If they do one day, great. If they don't, great.

Yeah..... you're right haha.  I shouldn't have even bothered responding.  Meh
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #733 on: April 16, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »

I agree. I love this board. You give an opinion that you disagree with Axl not showing up, and you get smeared. Thats even if the post is allowed to remain.  Yet, crap like this stays.  Let me dummy it down for you.  Go get AFD and UYI1and2.  If the name of a current or past member is not in there, THEY DONT DESERVE any honor.  They didnt do anything to get honored.  what is so complicated about this?  I still dont get how people can say they are fans of this band and dont really get this simple concept.  You can chose to like any version you wish (i like them all), but understand that that group that was at the HOF and axl and Izzy are the ones responsible for the greatness and the world wide recognition they get. 
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #734 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

I agree. I love this board. You give an opinion that you disagree with Axl not showing up, and you get smeared. Thats even if the post is allowed to remain.  Yet, crap like this stays.  Let me dummy it down for you.  Go get AFD and UYI1and2.  If the name of a current or past member is not in there, THEY DONT DESERVE any honor.  They didnt do anything to get honored.  what is so complicated about this?  I still dont get how people can say they are fans of this band and dont really get this simple concept.  You can chose to like any version you wish (i like them all), but understand that that group that was at the HOF and axl and Izzy are the ones responsible for the greatness and the world wide recognition they get. 
But, it isn't that simple when it comes to the HOF is it?  Was Josh Klinghoffer responsible in any way for the greatness and the world wide recognition the Chili Peppers get?  Did he do anything more than Tommy Stinson, as an example, to get the honor of being inducted into the HOF?  The only album he played on was just released in August, keep that in mind.

So, people pretending like there are hard and fast rules that the HOF plays by for who deserves the honor are not looking at the history of the HOF and their inductions.  Josh Klinghoffer was inducted with RHCP and Robert Trujillo with Metallica, while Dio was not inducted with Sabbath.  Huh?  Huh

In others, THAT is what is so complicated about this. 

Maybe if the HOF had some real concrete criteria to begin with, we wouldn't have these discussions to begin with.

But, therein lies the problem with having a HOF for an artistic medium.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #735 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »

Don't bother, none of them can explain it. The answer is "AFD is great" or "Matt Sorum played on those albums and tour".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #736 on: April 16, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »

I kind of wish Tommy Stinson got in.  He has been a member of Guns way longer than Slash or Duff.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #737 on: April 16, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »

Don't bother, none of them can explain it. The answer is "AFD is great" or "Matt Sorum played on those albums and tour".

/jarmo

To be honest, and everyone is going to be pissed at this I think the Hall Of Fame just looked at Metallica/RHCP and said for the most part their "sound" and "style" has been consistent with member changes ; nothing to drastic has ever really happened with each different line up. With Guns N' Roses when you hear AFD/Lies/UYI it's all very similar sound ; while the band expanded on UYI it still had a common sonic quality. Obviously blandness is not a quality to be celebrated, but when you hear CD it's a totally different ball park ; to the point where besides Axl Rose singing it sounds like a completely different "band" ( technically it is, but it isn't because of the name etc..) so the opted to include only the members of the albums they felt were associated with the "sound" they wanted to induct?

I'm not saying that the RHCP guy or Metallica guy deserve to be in the HOF but that is an explanation on their logic...

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:40:54 PM by WTTJ_91 » Logged
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #738 on: April 16, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

After reading the past couple of pages, and being a huge Guns fan, I really don't know how some people think the current members of GN'R will reach the popularity/recognition of the Appetite/Illusion line up? I'm not claiming that the popularity is important in Axl's/anyone's eyes, I just don't see it happening.

It has nothing to do with me thinking the old members/band line ups were better - I just don't know if some people remember/were alive on this board to fully understand how huge GN'R really was. They were THE band for about 7 years. They aren't on that level anymore (and that's fine!) and they won't be getting there again. When I say "level" I am strictly talking about popularity, not talent.

I guess that's why the Axl/Izzy no show is disappointing. We get it, Axl. We understand (at least like to think so) why you would not choose to come. I'm sure there are reasons we don't even know about to hate those guys' guts over years of frustration and anger. It would have been great to push that aside and have Axl and Izzy preforming with the others just one last time. A, "All right, fuck it - what we did was pretty amazing and let's at least recognize that" show and that's it. I know there would have been a backlash from the media and rumors of a reunion but as pointed out before, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On a personal note, I would have loved to see this board's reaction. A majority of people here say they love the current line up and support them. But if he would (speculation, I know) have played, how many reunion rumors/speculation would have started here? How many people would have said how awesome it was to see the old line up together and in the back of their minds thought, "Well, maybe..."

But alas, it will never happen, even for a 3 song set. I now have to officially accept that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:43:48 PM by Gunner17 » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #739 on: April 16, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

I kind of wish Tommy Stinson got in.  He has been a member of Guns way longer than Slash or Duff.

I think all members of the band past and present who have shown up on albums should be represented, but at the same time... longevity doesn't mean much. more years 1 album or less years 3 albums and 1 EP? I'll take the historic catalog over a 5-6 year time span vs. just being there the longest.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: