Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:50:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  What's Axl/GnR's stance on Buckethead?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's Axl/GnR's stance on Buckethead?  (Read 8045 times)
RochesterRox19
Opening Act

« on: April 21, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »

I'm confused by the whole Buckethead exit. From what I recall, there was a press release by Axl wherein Big B was given his walking papers. It stated that Bucket was planning on using GnR for solo gain and that he had erratic behavior or something of that nature. I even heard that there was some kind of rift between him and Robin Finck (is there any truth to that and if so, what for?).

However, when Dr. Pepper omitted Buckethead from their free can of soda; Axl offered to share his with him. Furthermore, although jetisonned (sp?), Buckethead is featured alongside Axl in the opening two pages of the "Chinese Democracy" liner notes. It also seemed to me that his guitar work was the most prominent on the entire album.

So is Bucket blackballed in Axl's eyes? Have they simply patched things up since the press release and amicably moved on from one another?

Lot of questions, I know. But i'd appreciate the knowledge.

As I watch my DVD of Rio '01 and his solo on "November Rain", I can honestly say that i'd want Buckethead to return over any other past GnR member.

http://i38.tinypic.com/1zohzth.jpg

"Maybe we gotta be extra careful because maybe it matters more than we even know."
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

Axl somewhat answered this question a few years ago when he did his online chat: 

I have no issues with Bucket. It's hard to tell what was real or not in things we were told by Merck. He's more than welcome to tour with us in some form or other provided we're both interested at the time and come to some type of reasonable terms. Personally I have a blast w/Bucket on tour and get a big kick out of the guy. A lot of feelings were hurt on this side of the fence in how things went down and unfortunately others used our silence and the public's not knowing for their own purposes at both Bucket's and our expense.

I'd be very surprised if anything has changed in the intervening years.  My gut feeling (i.e. guess) is that Buckethead kind of feels like his involvement w/ GnR has run its course.  If you read between the lines, Buckethead's "thank you" section of the liner notes of Chinese Democracy seemed to indicate as much.  It's especially hard to envision him returning now that Brain is no longer involved. 

That said, I'm hopeful, at least based on Axl's lack of animosity publicly towards BH, that whatever unreleased songs are left from the Chinese Democracy-era will feature some of Buckethead's work, so we may not have heard the last of him.   

And, as much as I love Buckethead, Ron is doing about as well as one could hope for in terms of picking up the "slack". 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »

Tommy gave an interview at some point that shed some insight on the Bucket situation. It sounded like he came in with the total wrong impression of how the band operated. He thought he'd be writing all the music and Axl would put lyrics over it. I also read somewhere that he grew bored with all the recording and playing the same parts over and over for CD.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »

I think his stance is a little better-when he left Guns, Axl accused him in the press release of joining Guns mainly to secure a record deal, or something like that-"great guy", I think Axl said.

libertad
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: