Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 03:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1585782 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2820 on: December 08, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »

I have the audio version of the 11/21/12 show.

I have the audio version of the 5/31/2012 show in London too, which I think I like better.

Videos don't do much for me.  I'm never going to sit and watch a concert.  But I'll listen to one on the putting green, on the beach, in the car/plane.

Its all good.  I will watch/listen to anything a artist has out there for free.   Bootlegs/youtube videos/clips, so when an a official release is put out there I always like to support it, as I would love nothing better than more releases.

I would love guns to put out a lot more live recordings.  And from what I have heard they have tons of recordings they are sitting on.  But its hard to justify this, if I cant support what little product they release.

In my mind I think Axl is sitting on a ton of unrleased music and videos of concerts over the years.  But who know, mb he used the same tape over and over again every night haha.  Doubt it
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2821 on: December 08, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »

I bought the Tokyo VHS tapes back in the day.  But in 20 years, I'm not sure I watched the concert 5 times.

I also bought the 2CD bootleg of that concert, 'Banzai' at a bootleg shop.  Which I then had to replace at another record show after wearing it out and scratching it up.  And I have since had to replace that with a version downloaded online.

I'm an audio guy all the way.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2822 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »

I bought the Tokyo VHS tapes back in the day.  But in 20 years, I'm not sure I watched the concert 5 times.

I also bought the 2CD bootleg of that concert, 'Banzai' at a bootleg shop.  Which I then had to replace at another record show after wearing it out and scratching it up.  And I have since had to replace that with a version downloaded online.

I'm an audio guy all the way.

I would say I am way more of a video guy,

I cant wait for summer concert season again, so I can stream some live concerts of my fav bands live, over my big screen.  I have attended many large festivals.  And honestly I rather watch it at home than with 100000 people..   My fav concert to see these days are smaller ones, theaters, bars, etc... 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2823 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:38 PM »

I wonder if Axl is sitting on all this recorded music, like I think.   If just out of spite to previous members, he doesnt release some of the music, wrote by those artists?

For example, Say previous member "x" wrote, the greatest guitar melody since Estranged, with some killer lyrics put in by Axl, already.   Its just sitting there in a vault, never going to be released because Axl is pissed because band member "x" left.

Or do you think he will put the music first......
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2824 on: December 08, 2014, 11:17:56 PM »

I don't think there is anything of note done by old band we haven't heard.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2825 on: December 08, 2014, 11:34:21 PM »

So you think the reported 2 more albums worth of material already recorded plus a reported album full of remixs are all just junk?

If the above is true....   I am sure there is at least one song that you will like
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2826 on: December 08, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »

So you think the reported 2 more albums worth of material already recorded plus a reported album full of remixs are all just junk?

If the above is true....   I am sure there is at least one song that you will like

Oh no, the 2000 onwards line-ups have a bunch of stuff we have yet to hear.

But I thought you meant the classic line-up.  I don't think there are any old Axl-Slash-Izzy Duff songs sitting around anywhere.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2827 on: December 08, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »

Oh no, the 2000 onwards line-ups have a bunch of stuff we have yet to hear.

But I thought you meant the classic line-up.  I don't think there are any old Axl-Slash-Izzy Duff songs sitting around anywhere.
Nope I meant all line ups, with band member "x" being any past memeber that may have left that Axl may be spiteful too.

In regards to the old line up I have heard that there may be some stuff on tape someplace from the 95 sessions, but like you said, I doubt its gold.

I could see Axl being a little spiteful say towards band member "X" from anytime..  And holding back a song, even though it may be magic
mortismurphy
« Reply #2828 on: December 09, 2014, 02:24:24 AM »

They could use the opportunity to play these unreleased songs in front of a live crowd    One of the benifits of this is that the band could see what songs respond well to the crowd and what sticks.   This will give them a better idea out of all these songs that are done, to put on the album

The only problem with that is the fact that most of the crowd would be looking like this  Huh ...

Given the track record, I think touring before a release creates another obstacle to a timely record release.  They only way it would work is to have everything ready to go, sitting with the record label, including a schedule release date.  Aside from that scenario, I'd prefer holding off on touring until they can nail down the record. I also think it would serve them better to tour behind a new record from a promotional perspective.

So in your opinion, if there's a finished album and the only thing missing is a release date, they shouldn't tour until they have one?
And what if that was the case, what if touring would be delayed because band members would commit to their other bands' tours?

See, there's always more than "this should happen". Nobody wants to think of these possible scenarios too much because it invalidates most of their thought out plans.

/jarmo

I think when they played new unreleased songs in the eRly 2000s the crowds were some what into it.   The key would be to play a good mixture of both old and new.  

Or

Play a few smaller club shows.    Where only all new unreleased music would be played.    10 small small small clubs shows. Played all over Canada and Europe.    That's would be kick ass for the fans.  And the band would get a good opinion of there music from there strogest demo

Good idea. Reminiscent of Neil Young.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #2829 on: December 09, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »

As I read interesting perspectives, I have to once again see the topic regress into this?   Roll Eyes

Well, what do you think?

Do you think they can hit the road and have the album come out after, while out there?

Here are a few things that I think.  Guns has a shit load of already recorded songs   They could use the opportunity to play these unreleased songs in front of a live crowd    One of the benifits of this is that the band could see what songs respond well to the crowd and what sticks.   This will give them a better idea out of all these songs that are done, to put on the album

People have used the argument of stuff leaking and ending up on YouTube and bootlegs affecting future album sales.   I disagree.   I feel guns has an already set in fan base right now that isn't going any where.   Next album sales will be on par with CD, which isn't bad.   Only with a huge radio hit will sales increase and leaks will not affect this.  In fact if solid help

Does anyone honestly listen to the radio anymore? I don't listen to anything except a certain classic rock station very late at night to hear deep cuts from my favorite older bands.

I do not understand your edit to your post.  First you said you never listen to the radio, then you changed it to you do.   Weird.  I can see editing a post to change some spelling, but thats kinda chaging the whole point you were trying to make.   Not to big a deal, but I was about to respond your original post and had to change it once I got to work.

In canada the radio is still huge.  In the city I live there are more radio stations than ever.  They are not all playing just top 40, like some people will want you to think.  I personaly like to have some stations on my presets and scroll through them and if nothing catches my ear, the ipod is always plugged in with the tunes ready to go.  Its a great to find new music that you can then add to the ipod, (listening to the radio)

Regadless though, the only way to expand the fan base and turn a hot record into a major hit, is to have radio success with a hit single

It is called honesty, if that makes things a bit awkward, so be it.

I edited because I can't say I don't listen to the radio at all, I do at night mostly when I'm travelling I will tune in whichever classic rock stations that are in the area to see if anyone is playing anything but standard fare, and commonly played songs.

I don't listen to the radio as a general practice though, and couldn't tell you who was "popular" or had a "hit" on the radio.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2830 on: December 09, 2014, 08:35:26 AM »

I also think there is a difference between "leaks" and bootlegs/concert footage on youtube

I don't think anybody's debating that. A recording of a public performance is different than illegally spreading unreleased material.
The gray area is when the footage is taken from a released source such as a DVD or a TV show.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2831 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »

Nope I meant all line ups, with band member "x" being any past memeber that may have left that Axl may be spiteful too.

In regards to the old line up I have heard that there may be some stuff on tape someplace from the 95 sessions, but like you said, I doubt its gold.

Or even finished.  Those things in 1995 were little more than jam sessions.

The old band pretty much emptied their vault for the UYI albums.  The songs that didn't make it (Crash Diet, Brink It Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Ain't Goin' Down) we have heard on bootlegs for 20 years.  And really, only 'Aint' Goin' Down' sounds like a finished product.

If the UYI albums were only one disc, after the band broke up, you'd have all these unreleased songs sitting around.  But they pretty much shot their wad on those suckers.

I could see Axl being a little spiteful say towards band member "X" from anytime..  And holding back a song, even though it may be magic

As a rule, there is really no Axl story that shows him to be petty or vindictive that I could dismiss out of hand.  They may turn out to be untrue, but given his 25 year public track record, there is no way I could dismiss any story as something he'd never do.

But then you have the Bucket songs on CD.  Bucket left on bad terms and wants nothing to do with GNR, save for any possible royalty checks.  On paper, this seems like a guy Axl would have on his enemies list.  But he didn't go that way. 

Now, could you make the argument that he had little choice, because without Bucket, he had no album.  True..  But still, he left his stuff there just the same.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2832 on: December 09, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »

As I read interesting perspectives, I have to once again see the topic regress into this?   Roll Eyes

Well, what do you think?

Do you think they can hit the road and have the album come out after, while out there?

Here are a few things that I think.  Guns has a shit load of already recorded songs   They could use the opportunity to play these unreleased songs in front of a live crowd    One of the benifits of this is that the band could see what songs respond well to the crowd and what sticks.   This will give them a better idea out of all these songs that are done, to put on the album

People have used the argument of stuff leaking and ending up on YouTube and bootlegs affecting future album sales.   I disagree.   I feel guns has an already set in fan base right now that isn't going any where.   Next album sales will be on par with CD, which isn't bad.   Only with a huge radio hit will sales increase and leaks will not affect this.  In fact if solid help

Does anyone honestly listen to the radio anymore? I don't listen to anything except a certain classic rock station very late at night to hear deep cuts from my favorite older bands.

I do not understand your edit to your post.  First you said you never listen to the radio, then you changed it to you do.   Weird.  I can see editing a post to change some spelling, but thats kinda chaging the whole point you were trying to make.   Not to big a deal, but I was about to respond your original post and had to change it once I got to work.

In canada the radio is still huge.  In the city I live there are more radio stations than ever.  They are not all playing just top 40, like some people will want you to think.  I personaly like to have some stations on my presets and scroll through them and if nothing catches my ear, the ipod is always plugged in with the tunes ready to go.  Its a great to find new music that you can then add to the ipod, (listening to the radio)

Regadless though, the only way to expand the fan base and turn a hot record into a major hit, is to have radio success with a hit single

It is called honesty, if that makes things a bit awkward, so be it.

I edited because I can't say I don't listen to the radio at all, I do at night mostly when I'm travelling I will tune in whichever classic rock stations that are in the area to see if anyone is playing anything but standard fare, and commonly played songs.

I don't listen to the radio as a general practice though, and couldn't tell you who was "popular" or had a "hit" on the radio.

So how do you discover new music?

If for example.  Guns next album had a top 40 hit...  Would you start listening to that sort of radio, late at night?? 

I am old enough to remember when guns had many hits, both on radio and with videos.  It was the coolest thing, listening to people call in and request the song or video and talk about it.  I hope to see those days again.   The more successful the next album is, will equal even more future material coming out sooner
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2833 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »

The old band pretty much emptied their vault for the UYI albums.  The songs that didn't make it (Crash Diet, Brink It Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Ain't Goin' Down) we have heard on bootlegs for 20 years.  And really, only 'Aint' Goin' Down' sounds like a finished product.

If the UYI albums were only one disc, after the band broke up, you'd have all these unreleased songs sitting around.  But they pretty much shot their wad on those suckers.

IDK.  

The same thing was said of the Beatles...that they'd emptied the vaults out, and that all that was left was unfinished snippets, etc.  And yet, every couple years, we get some new "thing" that was unearthed.

Now, I'm not saying that's the case with GnR. And I don't mean to compare them to the Beatles in most respects.  I'm just saying...sometimes, after the membership of a popular band that had an acrimonious breakup thins due to mortality, sometimes stuff gets "found".

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a few nuggets and snippets that someone eventually decides to mine for gold down the road.  I also wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't!  But I wouldn't automatically assume the vault is empty of material from the original membership.

As a rule, there is really no Axl story that shows him to be petty or vindictive that I could dismiss out of hand.  They may turn out to be untrue, but given his 25 year public track record, there is no way I could dismiss any story as something he'd never do.

I think you have to look no further than his rants, his material, and his public comments to see that Axl definitely knows how to get pissed off, and hold a grudge. You can debate whether it's warranted or not, but not that it happens. Wink

But then you have the Bucket songs on CD.  Bucket left on bad terms and wants nothing to do with GNR, save for any possible royalty checks.  On paper, this seems like a guy Axl would have on his enemies list.  But he didn't go that way. 

Now, could you make the argument that he had little choice, because without Bucket, he had no album.  True..  But still, he left his stuff there just the same.

Two things:

1) I think the "bad terms" and "hard feelings" were a lot more on the Bucket side than they were on the Axl side.  I think Bucket's own eccentricities and NEED to be productive, and his frustration with Axl's process were what led to his departure.  And I honestly think Axl "got it".  I don't think he liked it, but I think he respected it.  And...I don't recall, off the top of my head, ANY negative comments from Axl regarding Bucket.  Vice versa (sorta, kinda), with Bucket expressing his frustration...but not from Axl.  Am I misremembering?

2) If Axl were the complete and total megomaniacal micromanaging egotist, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever (other than artistic prowess) that he is sometimes depicted as, AND he felt Bucket had "wronged him"...wouldn't he have ACTUALLY held up the record.  The fact he didn't means either the hard feelings weren't as "hard" (at least on Axl's side) as some suppose OR he's not quite as obsessive in his grudge holding as he's sometimes depicted.  Because, while he DID take time to re-record some people's parts...he didn't feel like that was necessary for Bucket.

I suspect his bent on re-recording wasn't, necessarily, based on "grudges" (maybe there was some of that, too), as it was based on getting the best parts of the best parts of the band's different incarnations post 2000.  I think SOME of it might have been related to monetary compensation, too (ie: ensuring current members got paid).  But I think when it came to Bucket...I honestly think Axl realized what a huge part he played in CD's creation, and Axl wanted to see bucket both "rewarded" (with credit) and compensated (aka paid) for it.  I think there were other folks who had less creative input, and were more just perfomers, who he felt might not need (or want) the same thing.

Again, all theorycrafting.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2834 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »

I don't know the whole story between any of the ex band members and Axl.  It seems actually that everyone involved at times has been spiteful, acted on emotion and were out right dicks...  I could see Axl being hot headed when Bucket left and probably wanted all his stuff removed from the album...   The crickets it would of left us with, I am sure he didn't care about, when in the heat of the passion of the Axl anger.  But then is cooled it down a bit and we got what we got....

I just hope the fact that since he has his new toys playing guitar, he doesn't purposely sit some great tunes, written by band member "x", in favour of a song written by band member "y".  If only just to spite band member "x"

Were those 95 sessions were Izzy came back for a few songs?  I have heard that he wrote a couple of tunes with Axl that never made the cut.  Sometimes a simple jam is all it takes to write a great track
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2835 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »

1) I think the "bad terms" and "hard feelings" were a lot more on the Bucket side than they were on the Axl side.  I think Bucket's own eccentricities and NEED to be productive, and his frustration with Axl's process were what led to his departure.  And I honestly think Axl "got it".  I don't think he liked it, but I think he respected it.  And...I don't recall, off the top of my head, ANY negative comments from Axl regarding Bucket.  Vice versa (sorta, kinda), with Bucket expressing his frustration...but not from Axl.  Am I misremembering?

Not really, no.  Axl even offered to share his Dr. Pepper with him after the announcement of that doomed promotion.

I always found that odd, because Axl neither forgives or forgets, as a rule.  So perhaps you are correct.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2836 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »

Were those 95 sessions were Izzy came back for a few songs?  I have heard that he wrote a couple of tunes with Axl that never made the cut.  Sometimes a simple jam is all it takes to write a great track

But there were no vocals done, or even lyrics written.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2837 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »

But there were no vocals done, or even lyrics written.

Ya I am not too sure...  I would just be guessing with any of this though, but my guesses are usually right on.

I cant see Izzy writing a song with no lyrics.   It would of at least had a melody and a chorus or a catch verse..   The guy could write quick.    So if he did any work with Axl in the mid 90s, I am sure Axl has had time to put his lyrics on it, or mb not....

I think Robin came in around 98 ish?  Interviews have said that after a few months of just jamming, he brought in a bunch of his tapes and the guys started working on stuff...  So now we are going from the mid 90s to late 90s..   So much material is just being sat on I think
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2838 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »

I always found that odd, because Axl neither forgives or forgets, as a rule.  So perhaps you are correct.

Forget? Maybe not.

Forgive? I think it depends.  Duff, Izzy (I'm not sure there was anything to forgive, there, but maybe), Doug Goldstein...there are other examples, too.  Really, there's only a couple of feuds, most notably the one with Slash, that I can think of where there hasn't been some softening, and at least SOME forgiveness, displayed.

I tend to find Axl a bit more "human" (an eccentric one, to be sure) than a lot of the interpretations I get from both the hardcore supporters and detractors.  I think we all get caught up in absolutes, sometimes....and I don't think that's fair to him from either side.  It's why I tend to do the theorycrafting I do.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2839 on: December 09, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »

Forget? Maybe not.

Forgive? I think it depends.  Duff, Izzy (I'm not sure there was anything to forgive, there, but maybe), Doug Goldstein...there are other examples, too.  Really, there's only a couple of feuds, most notably the one with Slash, that I can think of where there hasn't been some softening, and at least SOME forgiveness, displayed.

I tend to find Axl a bit more "human" (an eccentric one, to be sure) than a lot of the interpretations I get from both the hardcore supporters and detractors.  I think we all get caught up in absolutes, sometimes....and I don't think that's fair to him from either side.  It's why I tend to do the theorycrafting I do.

From what I know of the band members say 98 forward, there is nothing really to forgive, because I don't think they did anything wrong.....

They left the band?  That's really it....   

They all wrote great music and lived up to there contracts..  Played great concerts live and were good to the fans....  Guns got a pretty good deal with all its former members, 98 till now.

Axl may just of been pissed that left, but then cooled down..   

I really think actually that the lack of past members talking in the media about guns actually helps there relationships heal
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: