Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227810 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1560250 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6700 on: June 19, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »

Not in this life time!  Well we played here twice last year back to back.  And we are back!! Not in this life time times 3.  

Oh, stop being so obtuse.

It's the reunion of Slash and & Axl that is 'Not In The Lifetime'.

The very second it wasn't a one off show on PPV, you knew this was a long term undertaking.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6701 on: June 19, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »

I think the majority of the board has given up honestly.

Yeah, probably.  But you are looking at it all wrong.

If all we are going to get is touring, which has been the case for 10 years, why would not want a better version of the product? 

This is like saying you are eating ground chuck, but then have the chance to upgrade to filet mignon.

But you, you would be asking what's with all the steak?  Can't we have the lobster? Despite the fact we have no real proof no one is interested in selling us any.  And...to be honest, we have our doubts there is even really any lobster to begin with.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6702 on: June 19, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »

I think the majority of the board has given up honestly.

Yeah, probably.  But you are looking at it all wrong.

If all we are going to get is touring, which has been the case for 10 years, why would not want a better version of the product? 

This is like saying you are eating ground chuck, but then have the chance to upgrade to filet mignon.

But you, you would be asking what's with all the steak?  Can't we have the lobster? Despite the fact we have no real proof no one is interested in selling us any.  And...to be honest, we have our doubts there is even really any lobster to begin with.

You are exactly right

I am one though that was getting sick of the never ending 4 album support tour around 2014

Adding slash and duff back is great

But we are right back to the never ending 4 album support tour   

It's great that the 3 of these guys are touring again and they sure put together a great one off show

Will be interesting to see what the show is like when they come back to markets they just played

I have read the excuse wait for the whole world to experience this show.  What ever hat means.   

So I do know that people in Vegas and Ontario have overly gotten enough chance to experience his show   I am just assuming that nothing will change with the show once hey come back.    Is that right? 

Does a venue change count towards a change in the show?   Hello Toronto umm this is a song called. Umm. It's so easy! Yeah!!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6703 on: June 19, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »

Not in this life time!  Well we played here twice last year back to back.  And we are back!! Not in this life time times 3.  

Oh, stop being so obtuse.

It's the reunion of Slash and & Axl that is 'Not In The Lifetime'.

The very second it wasn't a one off show on PPV, you knew this was a long term undertaking.

I know absolutely nothing about this band any more

I absolutely expect nothing other than a touring act out of this band. Supporting 4 albums of original material

I expect know fan communition out of this band

You pretty much said I should know better and what do I expect ?!

I expect nothing    I assume nothing.

I gather my own opinions on just what the band does

They announced this tour.  One show to start

Then one concert

Then one leg of the tour at the time

Not really announce anything.  Just sorta released tickets

This is what I know of the band

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6704 on: June 19, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »

I have read the excuse wait for the whole world to experience this show.  What ever hat means.   

What's unclear about that?

As soon as the last note of Paradise City rang in your home town, this tour is old news? "I don't care what people in South America, Asia, Australia or Europe think... I wanna see something else on youtube".

Sure, everybody on the boards would be excited if they played new songs, something else from UYI etc... But don't you even understand why the show is as it is? It's a show of their greatest hits, with Axl, Slash and Duff back together. That's the selling point of the tour.

And I must say, after seeing the two London shows just now, I enjoyed the shit out of it ? the experience was impeccable, best show I've ever seen no doubt. I think I've seen the show hundreds of times on youtube ? all the songs, and it didn't matter one inch. The experience of seeing them live was a thousand times better and that's something I wish for anyone else who haven't seen this in person yet. That's why I won't complain about the setlist, people are in for a treat.

Let's see what happens once they come around to the starting point again, until then... maybe wait with the demands? Isn't that fair?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6705 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »

What's unclear about that?

As soon as the last note of Paradise City rang in your home town, this tour is old news? "I don't care what people in South America, Asia, Australia or Europe think... I wanna see something else on youtube".

Sure, everybody on the boards would be excited if they played new songs, something else from UYI etc... But don't you even understand why the show is as it is? It's a show of their greatest hits, with Axl, Slash and Duff back together. That's the selling point of the tour.

And I must say, after seeing the two London shows just now, I enjoyed the shit out of it ? the experience was impeccable, best show I've ever seen no doubt. I think I've seen the show hundreds of times on youtube ? all the songs, and it didn't matter one inch. The experience of seeing them live was a thousand times better and that's something I wish for anyone else who haven't seen this in person yet. That's why I won't complain about the setlist, people are in for a treat.

Let's see what happens once they come around to the starting point again, until then... maybe wait with the demands? Isn't that fair?

Nope it's not fair

This show is just fine as a one off.  Enjoy it all you want

If you are fine with the lack of other things you get from this band. Cool    I am not

And btw.  I travelled to see his band out of country.  Not in my home town. 

And btw Again they are playing these markets that they just played in a couple of months.   I am very courious to see if the show changes as I would love to travel to Vegas to see them
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6706 on: June 19, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »

Yep.  I watched a dozen Periscopes of the show before my own.  Didn't match seeing it live.  Or seeing 50,000 people thrilled with life to be seeing it.

Absolutely right.  Bacon has an argument in 2021.  He doesn't in 2017.

Now, full disclosure, as a betting man...I think he will be proven right.  But we just aren't there yet.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6707 on: June 19, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »

Yep.  I watched a dozen Periscopes of the show before my own.  Didn't match seeing it live.  Or seeing 50,000 people thrilled with life to be seeing it.

Absolutely right.  Bacon has an argument in 2021.  He doesn't in 2017.

Now, full disclosure, as a betting man...I think he will be proven right.  But we just aren't there yet.

So you are fine with them in 2017 touring the same cities and countries they have just played, with this same show/act?

I am not.  And if there was something different I would love to spend money on checking it out
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6708 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »

So you are fine with them in 2017 touring the same cities and countries they have just played, with this same show/act?

Sure.  This is a true world tour.  World tours take about 2 years.

They are also one contiguous operation.  Same staging, same setlist, etc.  This is the show.

You'd absolutely lose your mind of you were a U2 fan.  They played here last night.

- open with 4 songs, the latest of which came out in 1984
- played a 30 year old album, in its entirety
- 5 song encore (including a cover)
- not one song from their last 2 albums

Guess how many U2 fans blew up my FB feed last night?  All of them.  All of the U2 fans.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6709 on: June 19, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »

Sure.  This is a true world tour.  World tours take about 2 years.

They are also one contiguous operation.  Same staging, same setlist, etc.  This is the show.

You'd absolutely lose your mind of you were a U2 fan.  They played here last night.

- open with 4 songs, the latest of which came out in 1984
- played a 30 year old album, in its entirety
- 5 song encore (including a cover)
- not one song from their last 2 albums

Guess how many U2 fans blew up my FB feed last night?  All of them.  All of the U2 fans.

Not one world tour from any band I have ever heard of or seen has played a city in a country the year before and then that following year plays the exact same show in the exact same city.  Its mind blowing

So how many times in your mind can a world tour play the same cities with the same show??

For me its once.  Doing back to back nights in the same city on the same leg of the tour with the same show is to much for me.  Let alone doing that, then returning to the city one year later and doing it all over again.  ugh...

You would seriously be ok with them, returning to Vegas every year until 2021 and performing this same show??  Really?  As of November they would of played it 3 times in two years.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6710 on: June 20, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »

You are aware that when a band plays 2 nights in the same city that it's not the same 50,000 people, right?

Sure, there is some overlap.  But for the vast majority, they go once.  And anyone that does go twice is such a superfan, they give no fucks.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6711 on: June 20, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »

I hope Baconman has a clipboard with his material so it's easy for him to copy n paste.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6712 on: June 20, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »

I hope Baconman has a clipboard with his material so it's easy for him to copy n paste.

I like how he consistently say he expects nothing and is not surprised nothing is going on...

...followed by several lines about what he expects and doesn't understand why it's not happening.

Huh?

Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #6713 on: June 20, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »

I can see the point about quality over quantity, but I think there are some caveats to it:

1) It would be more valid if Guns N' Roses had released the same amount of material, but consistently over the years.  As it is, they did almost everything of significance in a short period, and then almost nothing for a generation.  This means their sound, image, reputation is all defined by a period of creativity and popularity now almost thirty years distant.  It's hard to see them as something relevant to the here and now (outside of nostalgia) when their quality and quality, for most people, reside somewhere around the fall of the Berlin Wall, very large mobile phones and the first run of Twin Peaks.

As it was, we got an indifferent covers album in 1993, and then pretty much nothing until this thing calling itself Guns N' Roses turns up from another planet playing industrial stuff.  And then when an album finally does get released, it was too different (in style and personnel) for a lot of people to accept it as authentically Guns N' Roses.  Having more material and a moderate public profile in the interim would have allowed people to get used to the changes as they happened, rather than having it all dumped on their plate at once.  It would have allowed people to get to know the new musicians, and see what they could bring to the table.  It would have allowed people to see them as part of a real band, organic elements in something that could change gradually over time.  Agree with them or not, that is certainly not how 99.9% of the world thinks of Josh Freese,  Paul Huge, Chris Pitman or Ron Thal.  It certainly would have kept more of those musicians around for longer, as we know that some of them did get frustrated with the lack of progress on that front.  They wanted to create, they wanted to put their own stamp on it, they basically worked as a touring covers band.

2) For bands that had a burst of success early on, and then spent the next few decades releasing more or less indifferent material... at least you've got that.  Even if there were four more albums from the late 1990s/ early 2000s that never matched the standards of Appetite for Destruction of the Use Your Illusion, I am sure there would be interesting things on there.  There would be hidden gems, there would be cool, quirky things that would never have the mass appeal of Paradise City, but which fans would dig, there would be minor cult classics, there would be fun things... In short, quantity can still contain a decent degree of quality, even if it's not all classics.  Hell, even the Illusions records had some guff on them.  And... it's Guns N' Fucking Roses - you'd not get albums of total shite.  There'd be some great riffs, solos and howls in there at the very least. Iron Maiden's four albums in the 1990s (all of which were made without their best guitarist and arguably best song-writer Adrian Smith, and two of which were made without their best singer and also arguably best song-writer Bruce Dickinson) are regarded by most fans as pretty poor fare overall.  They toured to smaller crowds, they sold in much lower numbers, there are some pretty weak songs on those albums.  Even so, they also have some standout classics, some of which have remained live favourites. 

But if Maiden had never released those albums, and just had all these songs sitting in a vault somewhere, and then Maiden came back with a vengeance in 2001 with their new album, quasi-reunion and big tour... how many of those songs would ever have gotten an airing? 

I mean... suppose we had four extra GNR albums released over the years.  The standout songs from those albums would have had time to be tried and tested live.  Some might have become live standards, even if they were from fairly unremarkable albums.  They'd tour, with maybe five or six new songs per tour per album, and of those, maybe one or two would stick around it setlists.  But what chance do many of them have of getting much of a live airing now?  If Guns N' Roses do release an album, or a double album or whatever of stuff that's sat around gathering dust for the best part of 20 years, how much space would songs get in a setlist compared to what they might have had if that material was released on a regular basis over the years?  Not much space, would be my bet.

3) Releasing more albums would have kept them in practice.  Maybe some of them wouldn't have been great, but they could always learn from them, experiment a bit, try something new... you've got to take risks, or you end up doing nothing.  It's been said so many times, but Chinese Democracy, for all its merits, was never going to live up to the hype, and pressure and mystique that had built up around it, even without the bungled release.  It was never going to be assessed as a regular album, on the strength of the music, it had to be seen in the context of all the bullshit and delays and money and rotating-door lineups and all that.  As time goes on, and we get further away from that stuff, the album will come to be assessed more on its own as a collection of songs... but imagine how much easier it would have been to do things like get a single released, do a music video, get the album a fair hearing etc. if it didn't have all this pressure and bullshit pressing in on it?  If the band and its management were used to releasing albums and getting radio play and all that jazz, how much better might that album have done.

Equally, how much freer might Axl have felt, how much easier for him personally might the process have been, how much better and more natural might the album have been if he didn't have the need to make this messianic, perfect comeback record?  All the tinkering and overproduction that smothered that record... imagine if it was just able to breathe a bit more?  Or if he'd been able to put out an industrial hard-rock album in the late 1990s/ early 2000s when that was still relevant, was still what was going on in rock music, instead of in 2008 when the album already sounded kind of dated when it was released?  How much more relevant could Guns N' Roses have been to the development of rock music over the last two decades if they (alright, he) had just made the decision to do that?  There might have been some missteps along the way, but that's the risk you take if you decide to do something, isn't it?

That's not what happened.  Those paths were not taken.  We'll never know, and what we have is what we have.  I enjoy listening to what we have, and I respect Axl's right to do what he wants, not do what he doesn't want, or sit around the house playing the spoons for years on end if that's what floats his boat.  I recognise that much of what was made was done in less-than-ideal circumstances that made things more difficult than they needed to be (though that's hardly unique to this band).  I don't demand this or that, and I don't resent what happened.  I have plenty of other things to listen to.  I don't think Axl owes me anything. 

But sometimes, I can't help but wonder what if...

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6714 on: June 20, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »

You are aware that when a band plays 2 nights in the same city that it's not the same 50,000 people, right?

Sure, there is some overlap.  But for the vast majority, they go once.  And anyone that does go twice is such a superfan, they give no fucks.

There is tons of overlap

Also

How about when band revisits a city they just played a year previous

Nobody is expecting a different show in vegas in a couple of months    How many times is it cool this band plays this market without switching it it up?  3 times in just over a year seems enough for me   If not you. How many?  4, 5 , 6 , 7   A
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6715 on: June 20, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »

Oh it's very frustrating to be a fan of this band always has. 

Some people seems to enjoy that people are watching my band again!   People are slightly talking about them!  People are packing concerts yes!!   This band is making huge money!!  People on the facebooks like stuff I like for once!!

Ugh

This band tours supports 4 albums of original music     That's all we get as a fan

We as fans have given this band hundreds of millions of dollars and what have they given us.   A tour supporting 4 original albums

People say.  Everything is fine until this...  until that......   if they keep playing this same act until ummm 2021 there will be issues yeah 2021 that's it.    Just be happy with the ride!!

Ugh

There is nothing in here to be vested with

A world tour should spawn tons of interviews   Live shows on talk shows etc   We get squat

I honestly think there are some people that are happy just having Axl and Slash back on stage not talking to the crowd playing songs off there 4 original albums.   They call these songs hits even though only a few where     

It will be interesting when his band starts playing this arena show in a couple of months in markets it has just played   So exciting to see Axl sing Mr Brownstone!  Yeahhh. Ugh
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6716 on: June 20, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »

Some people seems to enjoy that people are watching my band again!   People are slightly talking about them!  People are packing concerts yes!!   This band is making huge money!!  People on the facebooks like stuff I like for once!!

Ugh

This band tours supports 4 albums of original music     That's all we get as a fan

We as fans have given this band hundreds of millions of dollars and what have they given us.   A tour supporting 4 original albums

People say.  Everything is fine until this...  until that......   if they keep playing this same act until ummm 2021 there will be issues yeah 2021 that's it.    Just be happy with the ride!!

Ugh

A world tour should spawn tons of interviews   Live shows on talk shows etc   We get squat

I honestly think there are some people that are happy just having Axl and Slash back on stage not talking to the crowd playing songs off there 4 original albums.   They call these songs hits even though only a few where     

It will be interesting when his band starts playing this arena show in a couple of months in markets it has just played   So exciting to see Axl sing Mr Brownstone!  Yeahhh. Ugh

Somebody please email Fernando and tell him that The Baconman thinks they should scrap Mr. Brownstone from the set!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:37:47 PM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #6717 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:07 PM »

Ugh

Ugh

You're 2,800+ posts in and NOW you realize there's nothing in here to be vested with???  hihi

Look, they're still going to sell out these arenas...even in places that were close to, if not the same (Vegas) as last year.  With no new songs (except Black Hole Sun, a cover!).  By all accounts, the rest of this tour will be wildly successful, so I don't share in your belief that things need to change ASAP.  I do think they could, if they wanted to, release a single or give official confirmation of intent for new music (see all those caveats I gave them, they should at least be able to do that). 

Would I like some interviews?  Sure, but not a lot.  I don't want them to be over-saturated.  I kind of like how, even with all of their success over the past 18 months, there's still an element of "go fuck yourself, we're going to do this my way" attitude.  That's Axl's nature (IMO), and he's not going to change, especially not towards the media/record labels/promoters/corporate execs/etc.  Expecting him to change now is foolish.  Christ, he changed his opinion on Slash...which we never thought would happen.  Asking him to explain why is just too much. 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6718 on: June 20, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »

Ugh

Ugh

You're 2,800+ posts in and NOW you realize there's nothing in here to be vested with???  hihi

Look, they're still going to sell out these arenas...even in places that were close to, if not the same (Vegas) as last year.  With no new songs (except Black Hole Sun, a cover!).  By all accounts, the rest of this tour will be wildly successful, so I don't share in your belief that things need to change ASAP.  I do think they could, if they wanted to, release a single or give official confirmation of intent for new music (see all those caveats I gave them, they should at least be able to do that). 

Would I like some interviews?  Sure, but not a lot.  I don't want them to be over-saturated.  I kind of like how, even with all of their success over the past 18 months, there's still an element of "go fuck yourself, we're going to do this my way" attitude.  That's Axl's nature (IMO), and he's not going to change, especially not towards the media/record labels/promoters/corporate execs/etc.  Expecting him to change now is foolish.  Christ, he changed his opinion on Slash...which we never thought would happen.  Asking him to explain why is just too much. 

Ok you get it

I think I have made my point

Haha
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #6719 on: June 20, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

I never got to see GNR in their 90s hayday i got into them in 93 just as things were ending. I got to see GNR for the first time in 2001. While some may be frustrated at just the touring this has been an opportunity to see the band that became my fav band of all time. I got to see them at met life last year and will see them this year at MSG. GNR has taught me don't take things for granted because you don't know how long things will last enjoy these tours because nobody has any idea of what will come next.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: