Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227795 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1559371 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7280 on: January 25, 2020, 01:26:04 PM »

To me it sounds like they want to make sure everyone's on the same page, so the material gets the attention it deserves.

I mentioned it earlier, but it's just "not another album that you just release". It's the first recordings featuring Axl, Duff and Slash since 1994, or 1991, depending on how you look at it.

It deserves more than  just appear at a shelf between other new releases of the week.

And because people today consume music differently, this needs to be taking into account. Most of us still enjoy albums. We buy them, listen to them from start to finish and find instant favorites and then discover other songs that grow on us later. That's what makes us hardcore fans.
Others listen to the one song they know from somewhere else and kinda listen to more in the background like it's elevator music.... Or just listen to the one song they know and forget about the rest.

I'm wondering how you would feel if the new music wasn't released in the conventional album form? What if they did something different (for GN'R)? Like multiple singles spaced out over time? Or EPs? Instead of one single followed by an album?

/jarmo

I'd be keen on that idea. I'm a big fan of a band you may/may not know called Ash. They got tired of the traditional album format so decided to release one single every fortnight for a year. Fans could buy the tracks individually, or subscribe for the year and receive a new track every fortnight. They also offered a premium subscription which saw fans being sent a 7" every two weeks.

At the end of the year they compiled all the singles into two albums, for those who wanted a physical version of the whole project.

As a fan it was great to hear them try new ideas throughout the year (some of the material was already recorded, some they recorded in their studio during the year). Some of the tracks I liked a lot more than others, but the whole thing was really interesting to follow.

There's definitely scope for something like that to happen with GNR- I think fans would love the idea of subscribing and receiving new songs at regular periods. 

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #7281 on: January 25, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »

To me it sounds like they want to make sure everyone's on the same page, so the material gets the attention it deserves.

I mentioned it earlier, but it's just "not another album that you just release". It's the first recordings featuring Axl, Duff and Slash since 1994, or 1991, depending on how you look at it.

It deserves more than  just appear at a shelf between other new releases of the week.

And because people today consume music differently, this needs to be taking into account. Most of us still enjoy albums. We buy them, listen to them from start to finish and find instant favorites and then discover other songs that grow on us later. That's what makes us hardcore fans.
Others listen to the one song they know from somewhere else and kinda listen to more in the background like it's elevator music.... Or just listen to the one song they know and forget about the rest.

I'm wondering how you would feel if the new music wasn't released in the conventional album form? What if they did something different (for GN'R)? Like multiple singles spaced out over time? Or EPs? Instead of one single followed by an album?

/jarmo

I'd be keen on that idea. I'm a big fan of a band you may/may not know called Ash. They got tired of the traditional album format so decided to release one single every fortnight for a year. Fans could buy the tracks individually, or subscribe for the year and receive a new track every fortnight. They also offered a premium subscription which saw fans being sent a 7" every two weeks.

At the end of the year they compiled all the singles into two albums, for those who wanted a physical version of the whole project.

As a fan it was great to hear them try new ideas throughout the year (some of the material was already recorded, some they recorded in their studio during the year). Some of the tracks I liked a lot more than others, but the whole thing was really interesting to follow.

There's definitely scope for something like that to happen with GNR- I think fans would love the idea of subscribing and receiving new songs at regular periods. 
That would be fantastic. Just don't let the fan club be in charge of sending out the singles... hihi
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #7282 on: January 25, 2020, 02:45:22 PM »

To me, it's a positive that we have confirmation that music is being recorded.

Second, the phrase 'we don't know what to do with it' could mean so many different things. It is completely open to interpretation.

On the positive side, it could mean:

1. do we release a single (or singles) and then the whole album? If so, which song?
2. do we release the album and then singles?
3. do we release in traditional ways (CD, vinyl) knowing that those types of sales are declining?
4. do we release through iTunes?
5. do we release on other streaming services?
6. do we release a song on soundtrack for a movie?
7. if yes to number 7, do we release to a traditional movie or a streaming platform such as Netflix movies?

The list could go on. The point is, if you want maximum exposure in a fragmented music market, these types of issues require serious thought. I am sure that the record company must have some input as well. Maybe everyone (band and management) is having trouble reaching a consensus as to how to proceed.

I won't discuss the negative interpretations, leaving that to others, but I consider those possibilities to be less likely as the holdup (i.e., these songs are so bad we don't know what to do with them).

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7283 on: January 25, 2020, 02:59:40 PM »

/jarmo

That would be fantastic. Just don't let the fan club be in charge of sending out the singles... hihi

Haha!

When you think that this was done in 2009/2010 it really makes you think why more bands don't take interesting and different approaches......

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #7284 on: January 25, 2020, 03:59:19 PM »

Theres the Tame Impala way.
They have a new album coming next month. They released about 5 singles (pretty much half of the album) already before the album release.

First single was around last march so 11months before the album.

Same goes for Grimes who also has a new record coming out and she dropped quite a few songs from it already

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #7285 on: January 25, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

I don't see what the problem is, really.

- release a good single (meaning making a good choice, not like with CD)
- make a cool video for it on YouTube (still the "new" MTV right)
- release the album on physical supports like vinyl/K7 (I don't think CDs are relevant
  these days but maybe yes) AND of course on iTunes & Apple Music, Amazon Music...
- wait some months, put it on streaming services (Spotify, Deezer, Google Play, etc)

would it be that difficult? how Metallica is doing it? Foo Fighters?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7286 on: January 25, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »

- release the album on physical supports like vinyl/K7 (I don't think CDs are relevant
  these days but maybe yes) AND of course on iTunes & Apple Music, Amazon Music...
- wait some months, put it on streaming services (Spotify, Deezer, Google Play, etc)

CDs still MASSIVELY outsell Vinyl. The notion of them not being 'relevant' is just media spin really, when you look at the sales figures. But yeah, your suggestions are pretty much the route most acts take these days.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7287 on: January 25, 2020, 09:50:50 PM »

I don't think waiting months before putting it on streaming services will benefit the traction of the album. These days, money is made from touring, so having a new album as accessible as possible is the most beneficial for the band I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #7288 on: January 26, 2020, 05:40:25 AM »

I don't think waiting months before putting it on streaming services will benefit the traction of the album. These days, money is made from touring, so having a new album as accessible as possible is the most beneficial for the band I think.

remember Chinese Democracy on Myspace?  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #7289 on: January 26, 2020, 05:56:07 AM »

I remember that.
Guns N' Roses broke every MySpace streaming record with over 3 million listens in the first day!
The band even put a press release about it on their website.

Later, of course, Axl sued Irving Azoff over this (and other) things, saying that the stream hurt the album.
Not a good look, in my opinion.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7290 on: January 26, 2020, 10:00:49 AM »

When you think that this was done in 2009/2010 it really makes you think why more bands don't take interesting and different approaches......

Possibly because they aren't signed to traditional record companies.

Some are the artists/bands mentioned in this thread aren't. They might license their records to record companies, but they are essentially not bound by record contracts. So they seem to have the freedom to choose what they wanna do with the new albums.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:17:54 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7291 on: January 26, 2020, 10:26:24 AM »

Well yeah, but it was a different time. Record sales still mattered somewhat.

Plus the fact that GN'R didn't exactly grasp the moment, and waited over a year before starting touring the album.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #7292 on: January 26, 2020, 12:17:27 PM »

Well yeah, but it was a different time. Record sales still mattered somewhat.

Plus the fact that GN'R didn't exactly grasp the moment, and waited over a year before starting touring the album.
plus cd ‘flop’ was mainly axl’s fault... u have an album out and u disappear, being the only original member? All the the delays, all the non-information... it’s always axl guys, it’s up to him... slash and duff don’t count, tb doesn’t count...he’s the only guy in charge he has the last Word, till we don’t hear him talking we are just wasting time speculating on nothing. Slash  doesn’t talk because he knows he can’t talk, he’s just spreading empty words
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7293 on: January 26, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »

Possibly because they aren't signed to traditional record companies.

Some are the artists/bands mentioned in this thread aren't. They might license their records to record companies, but they are essentially not bound by record contracts. So they seem to have the freedom to choose what they wanna do with the new albums.

/jarmo

That's very true. I know Ash have their own label and studio, so are pretty free to do as they wish on that front. I guess the downside to that is that all promotion has to be funded by the band themselves too.

Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #7294 on: January 26, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »

I’d be cool with different types of releases. I just hope it doesn’t become overly complicated as these things can. I would see how Foo Fighters team prepare for an album release but hey what do I know. The band means so much to so many people I’m sure that plenty would buy it. I can see why Axl might be worried after how CD was (IMO) mishandled.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7295 on: January 26, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »

That's very true. I know Ash have their own label and studio, so are pretty free to do as they wish on that front. I guess the downside to that is that all promotion has to be funded by the band themselves too.

For some smaller bands, they don't really need a lot of promotion, their fans know when there's an album and/or tour.

Fans get their news from the bands' websites, social media etc.

Obviously if they wanna reach a bigger audience, then promotion comes into play...

GN'R is part of the bigger leagues where a lot of fans don't follow social media or check the band's web site. They rely on the traditional channels for their news.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #7296 on: January 26, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »

I totally get why they just dont wing it and see what happens.
They want it to be "the album of the 2020s"
Plus its possibly their swan song.
Id rather get an amazing record in 2021 than a medicore one next week. That said i hope they have the confidence in the material. And release it rather sooner than later.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #7297 on: January 26, 2020, 05:04:09 PM »

Id rather get an amazing record in 2021 than a medicore one next week. That said i hope they have the confidence in the material. And release it rather sooner than later.

There it is

I think all or most would agree with you (I would)

We just want to hear that is what they are driving at - Say it -

But what we hear is soooooo flipping similar to the junk we got over the past 20 years it pisses people off - that's the problem. The random comments leaving people to think they just are screwing about and not taking an album seriously but are putting everything into touring on albums past -

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7298 on: January 26, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »

For some smaller bands, they don't really need a lot of promotion, their fans know when there's an album and/or tour.

Fans get their news from the bands' websites, social media etc.

Obviously if they wanna reach a bigger audience, then promotion comes into play...

GN'R is part of the bigger leagues where a lot of fans don't follow social media or check the band's web site. They rely on the traditional channels for their news.

/jarmo

Again, very true. I think a lot pf bands have loyal fanbases, and they'll be there no matter what. In your view what do you think a good approach would be for a band such as GNR?

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #7299 on: January 26, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »

No way...if they haven't worked these 4 years they won't work on new music in the next one too. The song are there, we all know that IF they have done something, it's 2-3 new songs and the old cd II (or whatever u want to call it) material reworked. So you won't get an "amazing" record, you'll have the same record just 1 year older (or super over produced). Same thing happened with CD: everybody was talking about  axl and the his pursuit of perfection, while the leaks were floating around for years, and they were almost the same on the final release, just mixed/mastered in a different (and worse) way.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: