Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1564172 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #7720 on: May 09, 2020, 01:55:15 AM »

You're arguing a strawman though,

What does that mean?  What an odd post.

You don't know what a strawman fallacy is? If so, the only strange thing here is your lack of knowledge of basic rhetorical devices and abrasive response to a comment that was not directed at and had nothing to do with you...

No one on the internet in 2020 doesn't know what a strawman is.

Come on, now...

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7721 on: May 09, 2020, 07:19:59 AM »

Come on, now...

I didn't know until I saw a bunch of Americans throwing that word around... So, it's possibly that some don't know.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7722 on: May 09, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »

You don't know what a strawman fallacy is? If so, the only strange thing here is your lack of knowledge of basic rhetorical devices and abrasive response to a comment that was not directed at and had nothing to do with you...

Come on, now...

I honestly don't! I only ever see it mentioned on this forum and have no idea what it means......

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7723 on: May 09, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »

Come on, now...

I didn't know until I saw a bunch of Americans throwing that word around... So, it's possibly that some don't know.  hihi

/jarmo

I've always assumed it's an American term that came into use via the politics of division that everyone seems to trade in online. But I have no idea! I've never heard anyone I know using it.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #7724 on: May 09, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »

I'm happy with how things are.  I think the way things are right now is pretty much our best case scenario.  A competent professional band, seen as credible in the eyes of the public, that puts on great shows for their fans.

Competent and professional? Shocked I fear, this isn't sarcasm, is it? There are so many things wrong with this "band" right now... it's bloody awful. Even casual fans get a glimpse of that - and they don't know anything about a certain children's book.

Absolutely.

They show up on time.  They play for close to three hours.  There is zero drama or nonsense.  No one storms off the stage.  No one is too drunk to play.  Everyone up there looks happy.

Compare the past 3 years of show to literally any era of the band.  What's not to like?

Look, I have a bunch of boots.  I listen to all eras.  And, truth be told, the UYI tour has always (and likely always will) get the bulk of my attention and what I consider their best shows.  But it's their best shows...warts and all.  The songs themselves are great and so is Axl.  But there are also 11PM start times.  There are tedious drum solos.  There are rants and songs stopped half way through because Axl doesn't like the way someone is looking at him.  There are riots and shows cut short. 

Even some of my favorite GNR boots (Saratoga Springs 6/10/91, NYC 12/31/91, Chicago 4/20/92, Indianapolis 7/22/92) are chock full of bullshit you have to endure to get to the music.

I see none of that from 4/1/2016 onwards.  It's like night and day.  No, Axl doesn't sound like he did in 1992.  But overall, it's a much better run operation.

I'm not comparing the now-era to the UYI-era. Just showing up on time is quite a low bar, don't you think? That's not professional, that's how to do it. Others bands are doing so much more. They communicate with the fans. They show appreciation for them. I don't want to write, that they release stuff, because that's a whole other debate.
Other bands have rescheduled shows, like Iron Maiden, but for Guns you still can buy tickets for shows in Europe, which won't happen. They don't issue a statement or anything. And you cannot blame Ticketmaster for not doing anything in this regard.

I consider myself a huge fan, but it's getting harder and harder to defend this band. Just because Axl has mellowed down quite a bit, doesn't make it professional.

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #7725 on: May 10, 2020, 12:38:14 AM »

Come on, now...

The guy is literally asking me what it means... how else would you interpret his vague, pithy comment?

Come on, now...

I've always assumed it's an American term that came into use via the politics of division that everyone seems to trade in online. But I have no idea! I've never heard anyone I know using it.

It's a form of logical fallacy where somebody doesn't respond to what their opponent actually says, but a dishonest framing of what they said, or an outright fabrication.

For example;

John: "I think we should end the war on drugs"

Mike: "Oh, so you think it's okay to just have drug dealers roaming the streets pushing heroin on children?!?!"

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #7726 on: May 10, 2020, 04:39:45 AM »

I heard a rumour that they waiting for the 50th anniversary of Elvis's passing to dig him up and duet Heartbreak Hotel with him to include on the damned thing. 
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7727 on: May 10, 2020, 06:22:14 AM »

Come on, now...

The guy is literally asking me what it means... how else would you interpret his vague, pithy comment?

Come on, now...

It's a form of logical fallacy where somebody doesn't respond to what their opponent actually says, but a dishonest framing of what they said, or an outright fabrication.

For example;

John: "I think we should end the war on drugs"

Mike: "Oh, so you think it's okay to just have drug dealers roaming the streets pushing heroin on children?!?!"

Ah ok, thanks for that.

Yeah, that's a style of argument that seems very often used at the moment in the weird world we find ourselves in.

shadowofthewave
Opening Act

« Reply #7728 on: May 11, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »

I don't understand why we can't get a substantive update about the album. I've been hating on Fernando for a while now, but it's clear from Susan's recent comments that it's the band itself that doesn't want any details revealed. Why? What's the downside of simply giving us the current phase of the album, as in writing phase, recording phase, mixing phase or it's done and they simply refuse to release it with no tour? Unless you give a time frame that doesn't pan out it's not like fans are going to be disappointed. Why no info?
Nightrain7
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7729 on: May 12, 2020, 12:37:33 AM »

I don't understand why we can't get a substantive update about the album. I've been hating on Fernando for a while now, but it's clear from Susan's recent comments that it's the band itself that doesn't want any details revealed. Why? What's the downside of simply giving us the current phase of the album, as in writing phase, recording phase, mixing phase or it's done and they simply refuse to release it with no tour? Unless you give a time frame that doesn't pan out it's not like fans are going to be disappointed. Why no info?
Not disagreeing, but it seems GN'R always take the stance of 'damned if we do, damned if we don't' so they choose the 'don't route', must work for them on the inner circle.

Chinese Democracy "Get on board or F**K OFF!!"
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #7730 on: May 12, 2020, 03:37:53 AM »

Well put, agreed

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7731 on: May 12, 2020, 05:57:01 AM »

They've tried it in the past and when things didn't go as planned, the backlash from the same people asking for updates was pretty interesting to witness.... So I understand why they're not doing it until they have finalized plans.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7732 on: May 12, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »

Because no other band in the history of music ever announced something to only have to change it.  Obviously, GNR doesn't want to set a precedent for the entire industry.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7733 on: May 12, 2020, 09:39:41 AM »

They've tried it in the past and when things didn't go as planned, the backlash from the same people asking for updates was pretty interesting to witness.... So I understand why they're not doing it until they have finalized plans.

/jarmo

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

No announcement: "THEY NEVER TELL US ANYTHING!! THEY OWE US AN UPDATE!!! THEY ARE BIG STINKY FACES"

Announcement made but changed: "THEY NEVER DO WHAT THEY SAY!! THEY OWE US AN UPDATE AND AN ALBUM! THEY ARE BIG STINKY FACES!!"

Announce something and follow through: "THIS ISNT WHAT WE WANTED!!!  ITS THE SAME AS X! AND ITS DIFFERENT THAN Y! AND IT NEVER CHANGES!! AND ITS NOT BAD ASS ENOUGH! AND ITS TOO BAD ASS!!! AND ITS JUST A CASH GRAB!!!! OH OH OH AND WHERE IS IZZY!!!!! THEY ARE BIG STINKY FACES!!!!!"

In the many years I've been here....I've learned one thing: There is a segment of this "fan" base that's never going to be happy. Or, rather, they're not happy unless they have something to bitch about (and they'll find ANYTHING). They will build straw men based on their own fantasies to try to find something to bitch about.  And if there just ISN'T something to bitch about, and they can't create something, they crawl into their hidey holes until there is.  

You know it's sad but truuuuueeee!!! Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:41:54 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7734 on: May 12, 2020, 09:49:05 AM »

"I can tell you that we have been working on it.  Can't give you an exact date of release, or even an album title at this point.  But I can tell you that the 7 of us have been in the studio, working on new material."

This is a herculean ask, such a public statement?  Only at this board.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7735 on: May 12, 2020, 10:02:09 AM »

"I can tell you that we have been working on it.  Can't give you an exact date of release, or even an album title at this point.  But I can tell you that the 7 of us have been in the studio, working on new material."

This is a herculean ask, such a public statement?  Only at this board.

I mean, do you really think that that would go down well? And what does that do? It's not an update.

C'mon, get real.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7736 on: May 12, 2020, 10:04:26 AM »

"I can tell you that we have been working on it.  Can't give you an exact date of release, or even an album title at this point.  But I can tell you that the 7 of us have been in the studio, working on new material."

You've gotten almost exactly that, from Slash, Duff, Duff's wife, Frank, and Richard in various interviews and recent press. Not those words, but that information.

It's not from Axl, or in exactly the wording you want, or containing the numerical assignment of who is doing what when, or whatever.....

And I'd offer if they gave you exactly what you just asked for, in exactly the verbage you asked for, there are a SHIT TON of people who would nit pick it apart and bitch because it wasn't specific enough, didn't have enough information, wasn't on perfumed paper...whatever.  Why do I know that?  Because that's what's going on RIGHT now and has gone on with every approaching or potential announcement from this band since forever.

To flip the switch...why is it such a herculean ask to ask the fans to wait until they have something specific to announce, with all the i's dotted and t's crossed? Because that way, they don't have to deal with the backlash if things change?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:06:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7737 on: May 12, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »

LOL.

Only to have people say that all they want it a release date and new music. So back to square one.

Updating for the sake of having an update isn't really GN'R. I know it sucks for you, but that's life.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7738 on: May 12, 2020, 01:39:49 PM »

I mean, do you really think that that would go down well? And what does that do? It's not an update.

C'mon, get real.

There is a not insignificant portion of this fanbase that doesn't think that the 7 of them have recorded so much as one note as a unit since the relaunch.

They think that because they have not been given any compelling reason to think otherwise.  This would be a step in the right direction, no?

The perfect is not the enemy of the the good.  But it sure seems to be with this band, and most certainly in the eyes of many of their fans.  

Nowhere is it written that any announcement :

- must be written in blood
- must never, ever deviate
- must be taken as a Joe Namath guarantee

"Hey guys, sucks that we won't get out to see you this year.  But, we have been working on some new material during all this, and hope to get it it out to you soon."

If your rationale to not say such a thing is that someone, somewhere, might take it as a guarantee and "throw it back in their face"...that's a pretty flawed premise.  OH NOES!!  Who cares if they do?  

shadowofthewave
Opening Act

« Reply #7739 on: May 12, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »

/jarmo

If you're referring to things like Fernando's six months time frame or Axl's 2006 and March 6,2007 release dates for CD that's not what I mean. I understand them not wanting to give a time frame that might not pan out but what's wrong with simply saying what phase the album is in?
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: