Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1564232 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #7740 on: May 12, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »

"I can tell you that we have been working on it.  Can't give you an exact date of release, or even an album title at this point.  But I can tell you that the 7 of us have been in the studio, working on new material."

This is a herculean ask, such a public statement?  Only at this board.

You've gotten almost exactly that, from Slash, Duff, Duff's wife, Frank, and Richard in various interviews and recent press. Not those words, but that information.

It's not from Axl, or in exactly the wording you want, or containing the numerical assignment of who is doing what when, or whatever.....

And I'd offer if they gave you exactly what you just asked for, in exactly the verbage you asked for, there are a SHIT TON of people who would nit pick it apart and bitch because it wasn't specific enough, didn't have enough information, wasn't on perfumed paper...whatever.  Why do I know that?  Because that's what's going on RIGHT now and has gone on with every approaching or potential announcement from this band since forever.

To flip the switch...why is it such a herculean ask to ask the fans to wait until they have something specific to announce, with all the i's dotted and t's crossed? Because that way, they don't have to deal with the backlash if things change?

Are they children?  Or are they grown people?  Professionals in their field?

What is this thinking we need to protect them like they are they are our first born riding the bus with the big kids for the first day of school?

I'm really supposed to believe none of this can be done because <gasp> someone might say mean things about them on the internet?

Pretty sad, if that's the case.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7741 on: May 12, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »

If you're referring to things like Fernando's six months time frame or Axl's 2006 and March 6,2007 release dates for CD that's not what I mean. I understand them not wanting to give a time frame that might not pan out but what's wrong with simply saying what phase the album is in?

Fernando's comment was super weird.  So against type for this band.  My personal theory remains he blurted that out online after a few drinks.  Then woke up the next day and thought "...oh shit." We've all done it in some variation.

I have never really held Fernando to that, but it has never struck me as an authorized comment for public consumption.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7742 on: May 12, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »

If you're referring to things like Fernando's six months time frame or Axl's 2006 and March 6,2007 release dates for CD that's not what I mean. I understand them not wanting to give a time frame that might not pan out but what's wrong with simply saying what phase the album is in?

Slash has confirmed they have material. Basically it's about how to release it.

And with the current situation in the world, when...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7743 on: May 12, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »

I'm really supposed to believe none of this can be done because <gasp> someone might say mean things about them on the internet?

No, you're supposed to believe that it's not gonna be done because it's not how GN'R operate nor does it really serve a purpose. What would the purpose be? To make you go "Great, they're working on new material!".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7744 on: May 12, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »

There is a not insignificant portion of this fanbase that doesn't think that the 7 of them have recorded so much as one note as a unit since the relaunch.

They think that because they have not been given any compelling reason to think otherwise.  

So what?

The band members know what they have or have not done.

What does it matter what that portion of the fanbase thinks?

Do you honestly think that, if the band releases an album at pretty much any point in the next year, two years, 5 years...that that portion of the fanbase isn't going to buy it?

This would be a step in the right direction, no?

The perfect is not the enemy of the the good.  But it sure seems to be with this band, and most certainly in the eyes of many of their fans.  

Nowhere is it written that any announcement :

- must be written in blood
- must never, ever deviate
- must be taken as a Joe Namath guarantee

"Hey guys, sucks that we won't get out to see you this year.  But, we have been working on some new material during all this, and hope to get it it out to you soon."

If your rationale to not say such a thing is that someone, somewhere, might take it as a guarantee and "throw it back in their face"...that's a pretty flawed premise.  OH NOES!!  Who cares if they do?  

They have, through various interviews and avenues, conveyed exactly that information.

Just not in exactly the way you want them to.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:23:19 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7745 on: May 12, 2020, 03:22:39 PM »

Are they children?  Or are they grown people?  Professionals in their field?

They're waiting to have concrete details (which is actually the epitome of being a professional and operating like a business, fyi) and you're petulantly and impatiently whining about their operational decisions.....so, what was the question again?

They are people who don't want to listen to endless grousing, which almost invariably ends up in the press, that starts from a certain segment of the fanbase.  They don't want bad press, they don't want to be hounded for interviews if things change, and they don't want to go through what they went through at least 3 times before when they've missed dates (once for UYI, twice for CD).

They're actually handling it like.....*gasp*....corporate professionals would!!

What is this thinking we need to protect them like they are they are our first born riding the bus with the big kids for the first day of school?

Nobody is protecting them.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt doesn't protect them.  Being patient doesn't protect them.  If you wanna be unhappy, and bitch, and complain, and never be satisfied with anything....hey, have at it.  Some people love misery.  Nobody is telling you that you can't be happy in your misery.

People are explaining the logic behind the bands potential/probable positions, given the timing and current world situation.

You (as per usual) don't like it, no matter how much sense it makes.

Tough.

You've gotten information from various band members and those close to them that gives you the EXACT information you're asking for. They're working on music.  You can believe it or not.  But even a direct line to god, telling people it was true, would have "a sizable portion of the fan base" doubting it was true.  They always do. Official word, unofficial word, or no word.  The outcome is generally the same.  

Witness this very conversation/situation.  For you, the information you have is still not good enough because it's not in the EXACT form and format you want.

You're not going to get what you want. Plain and simple.  And there should be no reasonable expectation that you will/would. GnR doesn't operate that way, and if you expect them to cater to your whim, you are the one being unreasonable, you are the one being childish, and you are the one deluding yourself.

Negative word of mouth has an effect on products.  SURELY you can understand that, yeah.  It's not about the hardcore fanbase who are going to buy the album regardless.  But that press falls on the ears of the mainstream music buyers, and you're sunk (both in the marketplace and in tour ticket sales).  It just reenforces that negative "undependable" stereotype of yesteryear.

So, in this case, THEY are not what I see as sad, here.

But you do you, boo.

The rest of us will go on, happy with the potential for new music, living the dream.  

Edit: Lest we all forget...there was literally a member of this board so obsessed with Fernando's 6 months comment, even after covid started to invade our realities, that they ended up talking themselves straight into a banning.  THATS the type of shit GnR want to avoid, en masse.  For good reason.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:26:14 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #7746 on: May 12, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »

At the end of the day GNR is going to release an album on their own terms.  I wish they were like other bands but that is not the case. After the Chinese democracy fiasco I learned to not have any expectations and to just sit back and see what happens.  It is not worth arguing with people about a release of something we have no control over.  Hopefully next year when things get back to normal, we will then get a new album.  Good thing is at least we know touring will be back next year. beer

Rizzo160
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7747 on: May 12, 2020, 09:51:31 PM »

Edit: Lest we all forget...there was literally a member of this board so obsessed with Fernando's 6 months comment, even after covid started to invade our realities, that they ended up talking themselves straight into a banning.  THATS the type of shit GnR want to avoid, en masse.  For good reason.

That was a bummer.

He was generally a good egg, but he sort of lost the thread of the plot on all that.  It was sad to watch unfold.  I remember reading what turned out to be his last post in real time and thinking...that's....that's going to be a problem.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7748 on: May 12, 2020, 09:56:49 PM »

At the end of the day GNR is going to release an album on their own terms.  I wish they were like other bands but that is not the case. After the Chinese democracy fiasco I learned to not have any expectations and to just sit back and see what happens.  It is not worth arguing with people about a release of something we have no control over.  Hopefully next year when things get back to normal, we will then get a new album.  Good thing is at least we know touring will be back next year. beer

Weirdly, I wonder if their current mode of touring prevents the album.

I know some people really get excited about small venues, but that is not GNR to me.  GNR to me is big business.  It's stadiums at best, arenas at worst.  It's a big production. 

But big productions cost big bucks for the audience.  And perhaps you can't charge $300 plus a seat and say "...and here are 7 songs off our new album."  Both NITL shows I saw, there was an obvious as can be dip in enthusiasm amongst the folks for any CD song.  Have to think any new tune from a new album faces a similar fate.

I spent most of the time CD tunes got played people watching to see who knew the words.  Anyone else do that?

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #7749 on: May 13, 2020, 05:50:28 AM »

I know some people really get excited about small venues, but that is not GNR to me.  GNR to me is big business.  It's stadiums at best, arenas at worst.  It's a big production. 

But big productions cost big bucks for the audience.  And perhaps you can't charge $300 plus a seat and say "...and here are 7 songs off our new album."  Both NITL shows I saw, there was an obvious as can be dip in enthusiasm amongst the folks for any CD song.  Have to think any new tune from a new album faces a similar fate.

I spent most of the time CD tunes got played people watching to see who knew the words.  Anyone else do that?

Yeah - it was clear that CD songs are thought of as piss breaks for a lot of people.
There's some good stuff there too but a lot of people absolutely don't view that as a Gnr album - Hypothetically, Guess it would be similar to Stones fans going and pissing during songs that Mick wrote with an entirely different band while Ronnie and Keith were recording elsewhere.

Have always felt that the CD songs would be better appreciated once a new album dropped though - it works that way sometimes - it's just something about that album being the last one recorded under the Gnr name that seems off - Lips Sealed
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7750 on: May 13, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »

Have always felt that the CD songs would be better appreciated once a new album dropped though - it works that way sometimes - it's just something about that album being the last one recorded under the Gnr name that seems off - Lips Sealed

I think Slash and Duff did all they could try to and make them more accepted.  The majority of folks considered that album GNR in name only.  That would only have been exacerbated if Slash and Duff flatly refused to play any of them.

But, my god, they agreed to play 'Sorry' for god's sake.  That alone make them good sports.  Never did play 'I.R.S.' though.  Perhaps they told Axl that was an either/or type deal.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #7751 on: May 13, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »

I think Slash and Duff did all they could try to and make them more accepted.  The majority of folks considered that album GNR in name only.  That would only have been exacerbated if Slash and Duff flatly refused to play any of them.

But, my god, they agreed to play 'Sorry' for god's sake.  That alone make them good sports.  Never did play 'I.R.S.' though.  Perhaps they told Axl that was an either/or type deal.

Yeah, for most folks CD songs (and Wichita Lineman) are piss breaks and beer runs.  There's got to be some in a 3 hour set!  I do like Slash and Duff's contributions to the CD songs...the new intro to Better is, for lack of a better work, better.  But take a song like Hardschool, which I assume most, if not all, of us here have heard.  Even though it's a CD-era song, if they were to release it as a single now, you know, before the tour, with Slash and Duff on it, the song would become instantly popular, IMO.  Having Slash and Duff there makes it more GnR.  Perception is reality.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #7752 on: May 13, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »

Yeah, for most folks CD songs (and Wichita Lineman) are piss breaks and beer runs.  There's got to be some in a 3 hour set!  I do like Slash and Duff's contributions to the CD songs...the new intro to Better is, for lack of a better work, better.  But take a song like Hardschool, which I assume most, if not all, of us here have heard.  Even though it's a CD-era song, if they were to release it as a single now, you know, before the tour, with Slash and Duff on it, the song would become instantly popular, IMO.  Having Slash and Duff there makes it more GnR.  Perception is reality.

Agree with their contributions and also was very impressed that they wanted to play those songs live.
Also think Axl deserves some kudos for adding Slither to the set - def a team mentality lately

I'm not in the least blow away by Hardschool though - it is a decent song and I'd like to see them add to the setlist but not the type of song that I think would be popular outside of Gnr circles - but just my own hardheaded opinion
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #7753 on: May 13, 2020, 02:36:47 PM »

Yeah no question Hardschool is a b-quality track. There's a reason it was left off CD. I really hope they don't try to make it a single, because that would be a massive fail.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7754 on: May 13, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »

And all this time a bunch of the comments have been "They need to release a new album, and then I'll go see them again".   hihi

I don't think that would have that effect on the size of the venues. A bunch of people buy tickets because they wanna hear those songs they know and love. So if the band plays Locomotive or There Was A Time, it doesn't matter to those people. They won't know the song.

When Slash starts soloing, they got get a beer and then rush back once they realize the band has started Sweet Child...

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #7755 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:52 PM »

Aw hell, does Slash know we run out for a break during his solo?  I'd like to see his solo, I can still hear it, but it's a long show and I need a break!  Maybe we need to talk about an intermission.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7756 on: May 14, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »

Yeah no question Hardschool is a b-quality track. There's a reason it was left off CD. I really hope they don't try to make it a single, because that would be a massive fail.

I don't know.  Pretty catchy.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #7757 on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »

Catchy? The chorus sounds like another verse, it's so wordy. And the lyrics are nonsensical. I hope he'll at least sit down and write some real lyrics for it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7758 on: May 14, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »

Catchy? The chorus sounds like another verse, it's so wordy. And the lyrics are nonsensical. I hope he'll at least sit down and write some real lyrics for it.

For me, Hard School comes across as part two of You could Be Mine. I really love listening to Hard School!
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #7759 on: May 24, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »

Just was watching on reelz the breakup of bands, maybe the reason GNR has not put an album out yet, is they don't want to ruin the band again.  Kiss broke up and then got back together, to only squabble over  Psycho Circus.  Maybe Guns just wants to tour and not fight over the creative differences in making a new album. It might be for the best, at least we have them touring happily together. Thoughts? beer

Rizzo160
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: