Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227809 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1560233 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8300 on: December 03, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »

GN'R is the kind of band who could go the independent route.

But I'm sure they are under contract with Universal Music.
Plus, Universal probably owns the masters for all GN'R releases. So then it's a question of, staying with them and have everything in the same house... Or go independent when/if you can, and have all your past recordings owned by Universal while releasing new things on your own...

/jarmo

Exactly.

Established artists are then held hostage by their existing material.

You can try to do what some artists have done and rerecord all your old material.  But that has been met with mixed legal results.  And it's a hard slog.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #8301 on: December 03, 2020, 06:22:49 PM »

That is a mess...Merle Haggard...Jonny Cash...their discography is a mess. Ax has to stay the course or throw caution to the wind and go Radiohead Prince etc...crazy shit.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8302 on: December 03, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »

Well, again, the bigger bands can promote market and distribute tings themselves, after they've made their money and have built a fanbase......but they absolutely need a label to get them off the ground. Hence why despite all the changes in the industry every band still searches for a record deal. It's a very simplistic view to say "labels=bad guys". It depends entirely on what deal has been signed as to the label/artist split.

They absolutely don't.  Witness the rise of the youtube star and the tik tok artist....who labels glom onto AFTER those artists have done the heavy lifting.  Witness every other artistic pursuit, from fine art sold in personal online galleries to self published writers.  Labels are dinosaurs that serve little to no purpose.

People have been brainwashed to think the labels are this big supporter of the small artist.  They are not.  They take advantage of starving artists who they think they can make a shit ton of money off of and basically make them indentured servants. Or they manufacture "artists" (Milli Vanilli anyone?) who look nice and they can make sound decent with autotune, and they pay ghost writers to provide material for them.  If you think the labels serve any purpose other than to fill their swimming pools with money, you're sadly mistaken.  They are driven by greed, not any sort of artistic purity or benevolence.

jarmo is right. Some indie labels are basically artist consortiums and patrons who give the lions share of the money to the artist.  Unfortunately, they are far fewer and far between than I would like...and have less influence on the industry...than the major labels. When I talk about the label system, I'm talking about the major labels and the system they have imposed on the music industry.

.....and then the YouTube star signs to a record label to release music. Or they do a distribution deal with a label. Or a marketing deal. All amounts to the same thing though- they ultimately need the label. Name a big musician who has never been signed to a label. A well known author who has never done a thing but self publish. Artists don't need 'labels' as they produce one off pieces of work. If they get successful thought they make release a book (with a publisher) or sign a marketing deal, etc. It's all same. You think Banksy didn't sign with a publisher to release his book?  That Slash's didn't when he released his (ghost written) book? You suggest they wouldn't need to....yet they all do.

I think you have a rather antiquated view of what record labels and publishers do, and not much understanding of how contracts work. Labels don't hold artists to ransom at all- they hold them to their contracts, negotiated by their managers.

You got a good manager? You'll have a good deal. I'm not really sure why you're talking about Mili Vanilla and ghost writers and manufacturing artists. What does that have to do with anything? What's next? Book publishers are evil because they publish autobiographies that are ghost written? Pretty much all autobiographies that come out are ghost written! If you don't like them, you don't buy them.....but I certainly wouldn't want the publisher to go out of business as then my favourite authors wouldn't get published.

It's pretty weird thinking the 'labels are the enemy, they rinse the artists' line. It really isn't the 1950s any more, and things have changed hugely. Without labels we wouldn't have the music we know and love. That's a cast iron fact. If you think labels have played no part in putting the music you love into your hands and ears then I really don't know what to tell you.

Without Universal you'd never have heard a note of GNR, and they'd still be in a bar in LA. If Universal made some money put of GNR....good for them. Because they sure as hell made GNR a lot of money too!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:12:49 PM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8303 on: December 03, 2020, 07:43:10 PM »

GN'R is the kind of band who could go the independent route.

But I'm sure they are under contract with Universal Music.
Plus, Universal probably owns the masters for all GN'R releases. So then it's a question of, staying with them and have everything in the same house... Or go independent when/if you can, and have all your past recordings owned by Universal while releasing new things on your own...

/jarmo

Exactly.

Established artists are then held hostage by their existing material.

You can try to do what some artists have done and rerecord all your old material.  But that has been met with mixed legal results.  And it's a hard slog.

No, it depends on the deal. It also depends on publication rights, which may or may not have formed part of the deal. Any idea what the terms and conditions of GNRs record deal are? Me neither. We don't know who owns the masters. They could have now fulfilled their contract and be unsigned. They could owe one more album. They could owe five more albums. Their publishing rights could revert to becoming theirs in a year, five years, ten years. They could have sold their publishing rights independently. They could be retaining the rights to their masters. They could not. It all depends. Every artists deal is different and bespoke, yet you seem to think it's labels=evil and ripping off artists. Clearly not the case when many huge acts remain with labels for their entire career, signing new deals as they go on. There also 360 label deals, which I believe the likes of U2 and Madonna have now, which involve the label becoming involved with the live shows, as well as labels working with promoters of tours to offer free albums with concert tickets. It's a complex world of negotiation and deals, not 'label exploits artist' as you seem to think for some reason.

You're trying to paint a black and white picture here, when it really isn't black or white. That's my point really. Making bold claims like 'all record labels exploit musicians' is just madness. Sure there will be some horror stories out there, as there are with any business, but it's a bit worrying when people start generalising and condemning a whole industry.

I think of all the great music I'll never hear because it doesn't have a label behind it, and the band will just wither into obscurity.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:02:07 PM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #8304 on: December 07, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »

I don’t think Axl wants to release new music without a tour, he had to wait 2 years after Chinese Democracy to tour it and it definitely had lost some momentum at that stage.
At the same time I don’t see any reason not to release a few singles between now and next summer to wet our Appetites
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8305 on: December 07, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

I don’t think Axl wants to release new music without a tour, he had to wait 2 years after Chinese Democracy to tour it and it definitely had lost some momentum at that stage.
At the same time I don’t see any reason not to release a few singles between now and next summer to wet our Appetites

I still think touring as we knew it is a long way out. I wish they would capitalize on the market as it's currently constituted. First they could partner with a streaming platform like Netflix or Apple TV and sign an exclusivity contract, then release a live concert and archival (pre breakup) live footage. Then as they are ready to release an album, singles, EP (whatever format) they could release a special about a week or so out with behind the scenes content covering the making of the music as well as BTS looks at concert rehearsal/sound check mixed with snip it's similar to the YouTube releases.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8306 on: December 07, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »

I still think touring as we knew it is a long way out. I wish they would capitalize on the market as it's currently constituted. First they could partner with a streaming platform like Netflix or Apple TV and sign an exclusivity contract, then release a live concert and archival (pre breakup) live footage. Then as they are ready to release an album, singles, EP (whatever format) they could release a special about a week or so out with behind the scenes content covering the making of the music as well as BTS looks at concert rehearsal/sound check mixed with snip it's similar to the YouTube releases.

I don't think touring is that far off for next year. Vaccines are starting to roll in the UK. In the U.S., the FDA will probably approve it soon. There's talk now about who should get prioritized in the U.S. In the NJ/NYC area, there's a lot of talk going on right now with distribution and a full rollout by April/May.  NJ needs the vaccine soon since we just had the highest cases yesterday. If this area doesn't get it soon, more people and businesses will suffer. Furthermore, this area accounts for about 20% of the U.S. economic activity.

I think the summer tour for GNR in the States will happen since it is in August. 
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8307 on: December 07, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »

I don't think touring is that far off for next year. Vaccines are starting to roll in the UK. In the U.S., the FDA will probably approve it soon. There's talk now about who should get prioritized in the U.S. In the NJ/NYC area, there's a lot of talk going on right now with distribution and a full rollout by April/May.  NJ needs the vaccine soon since we just had the highest cases yesterday. If this area doesn't get it soon, more people and businesses will suffer. Furthermore, this area accounts for about 20% of the U.S. economic activity.

I think the summer tour for GNR in the States will happen since it is in August. 

I like your optimism, but initially the vaccine (at least in the US) is going to the most vulnerable populations (which based on age isn't exactly the core GnR audience). I can't imagine we are going to go from zero attendance for things like an NFL game in Foxboro MA, but GNR are going to put 35-40k people in Fenway on August 3rd. I hope I'm wrong but I see this going on for a bit...
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8308 on: December 08, 2020, 05:41:49 AM »

I like your optimism, but initially the vaccine (at least in the US) is going to the most vulnerable populations (which based on age isn't exactly the core GnR audience). I can't imagine we are going to go from zero attendance for things like an NFL game in Foxboro MA, but GNR are going to put 35-40k people in Fenway on August 3rd. I hope I'm wrong but I see this going on for a bit...

Excuse me sir - but my grandfather happens to do a killer Axl snake dance - equipped with the black leather pants and bandanna
 Grin
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8309 on: December 08, 2020, 06:28:44 AM »

I'm no expert, but I don't think concerts will return only when there's a 100% immunity. As long as the death rates decrease and hospitalization numbers decrease as well (back to normal). This thing will be around for quite some time, even with vaccines.

Hopefully summer will be more back to normal. Fingers crossed.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8310 on: December 08, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »

By June the vaccine(s) should be available to everyone in the US population...  Johnson and Johnson haven't even submitted their vaccine candidate to the US FDA.  20 million doses should be ready by the end of December 2020 for the US from Pfizer and Moderna and another 20 million by the end of January.  I suspect more will be available...  There are 20 million healthcare workers expected to get the first round, then the 3 million in elderly homes.  There are approximately 87 million essential workers that are expected to be next.  By that point herd immunity will kick in...     No word yet on pregnant women and children under 16 so those two populations will likely be excluded until more data comes in to the FDA.
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #8311 on: December 08, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »

I wonder if the band will release the new record at or prior to the commencement of the new dates? After all, we’ve been led to believe that the only reason we aren’t listening to new music right now is due to the tour cancellation following COVID 🤞

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #8312 on: December 08, 2020, 03:59:50 PM »

I wonder if the band will release the new record at or prior to the commencement of the new dates? After all, we’ve been led to believe that the only reason we aren’t listening to new music right now is due to the tour cancellation following COVID 🤞

I think it might be safer to cross our fingers for one "new song," rather than a new album.
Maybe one of the UYI or TSI outtakes.
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #8313 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »

AC/DC said that it was the record companies decision to release the album when they did so if Gnr’s album is finished it could be up to record company. Now I get the feeling it’s not finished at least not mixed and mastered yet so it’s probably not up to them but what needs to be taken into consideration is the time to manufacture enough of a supply of this album to meet demand, which apparently was an issue for AC/DC due to the pandemic.

Now if an album is released with no tour that would also mean the band would have to do a lot of press to promote it which probably wouldn’t go down too well in the Gnr camp either.

What I would like to see done, to promote an album would be an in studio live recording of a couple of new songs, kind of like what STP did for Core and Purple recently. Not a live stream but an in studio recording of the band playing live, they could do multiple takes of each track and release the best ones. Essentially a controlled recording without the pressure of being live to ensure it all sounds good. 
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #8314 on: December 11, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »

AC/DC said that it was the record companies decision to release the album when they did so if Gnr’s album is finished it could be up to record company. Now I get the feeling it’s not finished at least not mixed and mastered yet so it’s probably not up to them but what needs to be taken into consideration is the time to manufacture enough of a supply of this album to meet demand, which apparently was an issue for AC/DC due to the pandemic.

Now if an album is released with no tour that would also mean the band would have to do a lot of press to promote it which probably wouldn’t go down too well in the Gnr camp either.

What I would like to see done, to promote an album would be an in studio live recording of a couple of new songs, kind of like what STP did for Core and Purple recently. Not a live stream but an in studio recording of the band playing live, they could do multiple takes of each track and release the best ones. Essentially a controlled recording without the pressure of being live to ensure it all sounds good. 

I hope you're not asking for anything else for Christmas!  hihi
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8315 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »

I hope the record company will be able to show Axl a promotional plan... Unlike last time.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #8316 on: December 11, 2020, 01:55:27 PM »

What album are you talking about?
There is not even proof there is a completed song
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8317 on: December 11, 2020, 02:32:04 PM »

I'm not too optimistic about a new album.  Slash in a recent interview would not give a definite answer, when asked if they would be playing new music on the upcoming tour.  Time will tell... beer

Rizzo160
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #8318 on: December 11, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »

I don’t know but that’s the point of this thread, isn’t it? Speculation based on hearsay but they did rehearse a new song so that says there is new material even if it’s not technically new.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #8319 on: December 11, 2020, 07:57:20 PM »

I don’t know but that’s the point of this thread, isn’t it? Speculation based on hearsay but they did rehearse a new song so that says there is new material even if it’s not technically new.

Yeah man - no worries

Certainly "hope" you're right
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: