Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227785 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1558709 times)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #8480 on: January 29, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »

Does anyone think a surprise release would work for GN'R?

Would you even like that?

/jarmo

You know I try to stay away from what I think would work for GNR.  I'm not in the business, god don't look at me for advice.  hihi  As fans we have our preferences but on GNR boards we just work ourselves up to total nonsense as Axl would call it.  I'm sure the band looks at some of the possibilities we put out there and wonder how the hell we thought that was going to happen.  hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #8481 on: January 29, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »

Okay, fine I do play on the GNR boards.  Total surprise I think did work for that girl.  There's surprise and then there's telling everybody about it too that brings on the big publicity that sells that album.  They can go that way but they have to be prepared for hitting social media on all fronts.  That means Axl, Slash and Duff have to be on TV on all those shows that gets the word out there too.  Are they willing to be that public and risks what is going to be backlash because people love to trash GNR? 

On the other hand, do they even care about album sales?  That's not where the money is these days.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8482 on: January 29, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »

I think the proper way to handle a release would be for them to immediately ship the completed album to my home address for extensive testing and validation. Step 2 would be, uhh... determined at a later date.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #8483 on: January 30, 2021, 03:05:51 AM »

How does it "not work" exactly?  Which artist has gone this route the past few years and had it go "wrong" in some way?  Kind of a silly position to take.

You put it out now.  Fans get a chance to get to know the material.  When they can tour again (god willing) you can throw in a few tunes, no problem.

There is literally no downside.  It all comes down to "want to".  Which is why we are where we are as a fanbase.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8484 on: January 30, 2021, 05:43:29 AM »

/jarmo

Yes and Yes

Dropping one out of nowhere would be wonderful and ballsy and would work just fine.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #8485 on: January 30, 2021, 06:42:01 AM »

"Thing were really going well for us.  Everything was clicking.  Then we dropped that surprise album.  Total disaster.  The true beginning of the end."

- no band ever

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8486 on: January 30, 2021, 07:02:19 AM »

How does it "not work" exactly? 

Since you have trouble understanding that part:

A surprise album means no one knows about it in advance. First thing that might not work. Would it be able to be kept a secret? If the information was leaked in advance, like with the NITL tour, then the surprise album isn't a surprise anymore when everyone knows about it before it was released, by surprise.

Second thing, would the fans like that? Some like surprise shows, others complain that they didn't have time to plan. Would something similar apply with an album? Would they miss a hype / promotion period before the release?

Then you got the rest of it. The business side. Who wouldn't get to review it before its release, who didn't get told about it in advance etc.

I get that people are hungry for new music, but please stop with the "just put it out" already. Hasn't been obvious for you by now that we're not talking about something the band doesn't care about?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:06:32 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8487 on: January 30, 2021, 05:45:24 PM »

At this point any release would be welcomed. beer

Rizzo160
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #8488 on: January 30, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »

they're worldwide famous, okay, but their type of music is not really what
the general public is listening to in 2021, let's be honest. if you are Beyonce
or Drake you can throw an LP from out of nowhere you'll have a big response
from their respective fanbase + the general public who listen to them occasionally.

I think GNR needs to build a hype in order to sell well their product and having
the media spread the news because rock n'roll is not what you sell the most these days.

that said a surprise single is the best way to my point of view to do that. and
I'm not a fan of the "making one single every week on youtube" kind of thing
either, I see that a lot and I don't think it's serving the music to overflow the
market with it.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8489 on: January 31, 2021, 06:19:07 AM »

from their respective fanbase + the general public who listen to them occasionally.

Yeah. GN'R sold a lot of tickets, so there is an audience who likes the music and would probably want to buy a new album.

But then there's the "problem" that fans of certain artists might be more inclined to listening to music on streaming platforms, while fans of other artists wanna go to Walmart to pick up a CD for their truck or SUV.

If the majority of your music is consumed on streaming platforms, then it absolutely makes more sense to just do a surprise release, put it on Apple Music, Spotify etc and people find it there one day.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #8490 on: January 31, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »

I think they need to just drop it. We all know Axl wants no part of media and hype. Drop it and prep your next tour appropriately. Over thinking everything at this point is ludicrous. Just my 2.  peace

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #8491 on: January 31, 2021, 11:03:53 PM »

You could also drop a single a month before the Europe tour starts... if it’s not delayed again. Tie that in with a release date right before the beginning of the US tour with the second single. I wouldn’t do a surprise release or anything like U2 & Radiohead did.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8492 on: January 31, 2021, 11:50:31 PM »

Yeah. GN'R sold a lot of tickets, so there is an audience who likes the music and would probably want to buy a new album.

But then there's the "problem" that fans of certain artists might be more inclined to listening to music on streaming platforms, while fans of other artists wanna go to Walmart to pick up a CD for their truck or SUV.

If the majority of your music is consumed on streaming platforms, then it absolutely makes more sense to just do a surprise release, put it on Apple Music, Spotify etc and people find it there one day.

/jarmo

Is anyone at this point really selling to, or hoping for volume out of "the guy that puts a CD in his truck?" I know a few people in here a fans of physical media, but honestly it's 2021, who doesn't have bluetooth and a smart phone at this point. Jesus I don't think even as far back as 2008 with Chinese Democracy I ever brought the physical CD into my car. I've had some type of MP3 direct input (ipod) or MP3 CD that I burned with hundred of songs since 2000 when I worked at Best Buy my senior year of college.

You are selling to and hoping for streams from a crowd that embraced that tech, and MAYBE get vinyl for home use for the audiophiles. Otherwise I feel physical is dead for day to day usage. That's how I consumed the Appetite re-release, I wasn't wasting money on a box set just to say I had it. I knew I was going to consume it on Amazon Music like everything else I listen too.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8493 on: February 01, 2021, 04:04:50 AM »

/jarmo

Is anyone at this point really selling to, or hoping for volume out of "the guy that puts a CD in his truck?"

hihi hihi hihi
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8494 on: February 01, 2021, 05:41:59 AM »

Is anyone at this point really selling to, or hoping for volume out of "the guy that puts a CD in his truck?" I know a few people in here a fans of physical media, but honestly it's 2021, who doesn't have bluetooth and a smart phone at this point. Jesus I don't think even as far back as 2008 with Chinese Democracy I ever brought the physical CD into my car. I've had some type of MP3 direct input (ipod) or MP3 CD that I burned with hundred of songs since 2000 when I worked at Best Buy my senior year of college.

You are selling to and hoping for streams from a crowd that embraced that tech, and MAYBE get vinyl for home use for the audiophiles. Otherwise I feel physical is dead for day to day usage. That's how I consumed the Appetite re-release, I wasn't wasting money on a box set just to say I had it. I knew I was going to consume it on Amazon Music like everything else I listen too.

Most releases are still put out on CD/LP. If no one buys them, why is that?

And there's still people who listen to the radio instead of a playlist on a streaming service....

We all know Axl wants no part of media and hype.

I'm not so sure about that.

While he might not do interviews with every newspaper, radio station or TV show, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some. If the right opportunity presents itself.....

/jarmo

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #8495 on: February 01, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »

Most releases are still put out on CD/LP. If no one buys them, why is that?

And there's still people who listen to the radio instead of a playlist on a streaming service....

We all know Axl wants no part of media and hype.

I'm not so sure about that.

While he might not do interviews with every newspaper, radio station or TV show, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some. If the right opportunity presents itself.....

/jarmo

I have friends who still buy everything on vinyl, it seems to have had a resurgence in recent times
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8496 on: February 01, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »

Vinyl is becoming more and more popular.

Greatest Hits was released on vinyl just last year. And the limited editions seemed to have sold out pretty quickly.

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #8497 on: February 01, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »

Everything sounds better on vinyl.  Cheesy

cineater
Legend

« Reply #8498 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »

How does it "not work" exactly? 

Since you have trouble understanding that part:

A surprise album means no one knows about it in advance. First thing that might not work. Would it be able to be kept a secret? If the information was leaked in advance, like with the NITL tour, then the surprise album isn't a surprise anymore when everyone knows about it before it was released, by surprise.

Second thing, would the fans like that? Some like surprise shows, others complain that they didn't have time to plan. Would something similar apply with an album? Would they miss a hype / promotion period before the release?

Then you got the rest of it. The business side. Who wouldn't get to review it before its release, who didn't get told about it in advance etc.

I get that people are hungry for new music, but please stop with the "just put it out" already. Hasn't been obvious for you by now that we're not talking about something the band doesn't care about?

/jarmo

I know you don't speak for the band but you sound like how this band comes across to the fans when it comes to releasing music.  So lost in the jungle of the music business that they can't get music out.  They can't find a path.  Okay if they want a clear path but if they just want out, the fans are out here making a lot of noise.  Follow our voices and ramrod your way through.  We'll look back at the path after they make it through.  It's going to be a mess but they'll be out of the jungle and we'll be happy to see them.  Cheesy

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8499 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »

I know you don't speak for the band but you sound like how this band comes across to the fans when it comes to releasing music.  So lost in the jungle of the music business that they can't get music out.  They can't find a path.  Okay if they want a clear path but if they just want out, the fans are out here making a lot of noise.  Follow our voices and ramrod your way through.  We'll look back at the path after they make it through.  It's going to be a mess but they'll be out of the jungle and we'll be happy to see them.  Cheesy

Exactly. I'm not speaking for the band. I speak for myself from my point of view.

It kinda puzzles me to see people still say "just put it out". I mean, last time Axl did that. some of these people were complaining about the lack of promotion. Well, he just "put it out".

We all (hopefully) learn from our past experiences. Maybe just putting it out and seeing what happens isn't what GN'R want?

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: