Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1549064 times)
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #9500 on: December 25, 2022, 08:37:03 PM »

so you think CD was worked on for a decade full time?  hihi

also, you "forgot" the rest of Slash discography (just around 10 albums) 
I don't even count the dozens of guest appearance

quality is another subject, but Slash is a workaholic, can't say the same about Axl...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #9501 on: December 26, 2022, 09:37:06 PM »

To me it sounds more like a natural progression from the UYI era, than say Absurd or Oh My God, which are a bigger leap from that particular sound.

/jarmo

Well I've said it before, but Slash writes riffs, not just chord changes. He weaves a melody into the chords with single note licks, or uses double stops to imply chords without actually playing them, etc. It's not like him to just throw chords together and call it a song. The only song that sounds close to that from UYI would be Shotgun Blues, which was written by Axl.

Snakepit was closer to 1996 than UYI and also isolates Slash's writing more than the melting pot of GNR. That sounds nothing like Hardschool.

The CD lineup didn't only write songs like Absurd and OMG though, in fact those were the outliers for them and didn't even make it on CD. Most of their songs were more like Hardschool; hard rock with an industrial twist. I always thought IRS more resembles the classic style, if anything. I'd love to hear Slash's take on that.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #9502 on: December 26, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »

I'd be curious to have at least some elements to back up this illogical claim  hihi

Slash's most recent album was recorded live in the studio. Took like a week or two.

Chinese Democracy was worked on for a decade.

And yet the leaks from ~2001 are structurally 95% the same as what released in 2008. The only significant work done was on production. It's not like he completely re-wrote the songs.

bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #9503 on: December 28, 2022, 03:35:11 AM »

so you think CD was worked on for a decade full time?  hihi

Doesn't need to be worked on full time for a decade for Axl to have worked harder on it than Slash did on his five solo albums combined.

also, you "forgot" the rest of Slash discography (just around 10 albums) 
I don't even count the dozens of guest appearance

I didn't forget anything, you're just trying to move the goal posts because you're feeling insecure about your original position.

quality is another subject, but Slash is a workaholic, can't say the same about Axl...

You absolutely could say the same thing about Axl. He kept working on Chinese Democracy intensely year after year while Slash is content to just mail it in and pump out an album if he has some free time. That's not necessarily a sign of someone who works hard, more of a sign of someone who likes to work often. Not the same thing.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9504 on: December 28, 2022, 06:03:48 AM »

To me it sounds more like a natural progression from the UYI era, than say Absurd or Oh My God, which are a bigger leap from that particular sound.

Well I've said it before, but Slash writes riffs, not just chord changes. He weaves a melody into the chords with single note licks, or uses double stops to imply chords without actually playing them, etc. It's not like him to just throw chords together and call it a song. The only song that sounds close to that from UYI would be Shotgun Blues, which was written by Axl.

Well, just because he didn't write the song or main melody, doesn't necessarily mean it didn't exist in any shape in the 1990s.

Josh Freese wrote the Chinese Democracy riff. And he's a drummer.

And as you pointed out, Shotgun Blues wasn't written by Slash either.

The writing credits mention two other guitar player besides Slash. Plus Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese. Plenty of people who could've come up with the original idea that they then worked on.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

« Reply #9505 on: December 28, 2022, 07:46:12 AM »

I didn't forget anything, you're just trying to move the goal posts because you're feeling insecure about your original position.

no, I give you facts (10 albums from Slash) and you give me an opinion (Axl worked on for a decade on his album).

problem is it's only speculation from your part because you weren't there.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #9506 on: December 28, 2022, 07:47:08 AM »

And yet the leaks from ~2001 are structurally 95% the same as what released in 2008. The only significant work done was on production. It's not like he completely re-wrote the songs.

exactly.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #9507 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:55 PM »

Well, just because he didn't write the song or main melody, doesn't necessarily mean it didn't exist in any shape in the 1990s.

Josh Freese wrote the Chinese Democracy riff. And he's a drummer.

And as you pointed out, Shotgun Blues wasn't written by Slash either.

The writing credits mention two other guitar player besides Slash. Plus Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese. Plenty of people who could've come up with the original idea that they then worked on.

... that's been my point all along? I never said the Jackie Chan project didn't exist in some form when Slash was in the band. However, I doubt it was the same song unless Huge wrote the chord changes. As you point out, Huge doesn't get a credit, only Slash and the members that replaced him, so as I've been saying, I think whatever Slash may have written for the Jackie Chan movie was scrapped and the new members wrote a completely different song for the movie. I feel like we're just going in circles at this point.

Edit: I forgot Paul Huge is Paul Tobias, so he does have a credit on it. Like I said, that's a plausible possibility.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:52:01 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #9508 on: December 29, 2022, 06:25:49 PM »

At this point iv marked on my calender of Nov 2028 for the arrival of the Chinese Democracy Box set since that seems to be what they like to do at this point. Hopefully 20 years is long enough to be considered for box set worthy. hihi
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9509 on: December 29, 2022, 08:58:45 PM »

2023 would work. 15 years. Good excuse to open the vault.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #9510 on: December 30, 2022, 04:30:25 AM »

This may help you put your life in perspective...

In 2023, it will be 15 years since the last GNR studio album. This is the same gap from TSI and Chinese Democracy. 15 fucking years!

Remember how long it seemed then? The "silent" years, The Vegas shows, the CD leaks and the final release in 2008. 15 years seemed like a lifetime at the time...or at least, to me.

Now we are close of wrapping another 15 year cicle, but it doesn't feel like it. We are getting old my God, time does fly the older you get.

I've aged 29 years since TSI  Shocked

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #9511 on: December 30, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »

This may help you put your life in perspective...

In 2023, it will be 15 years since the last GNR studio album. This is the same gap from TSI and Chinese Democracy. 15 fucking years!

Remember how long it seemed then? The "silent" years, The Vegas shows, the CD leaks and the final release in 2008. 15 years seemed like a lifetime at the time...or at least, to me.

Now we are close of wrapping another 15 year cicle, but it doesn't feel like it. We are getting old my God, time does fly the older you get.

I've aged 29 years since TSI  Shocked

Will be quite sad if we don’t get anything short of reasonably substantial in terms of new music next year  Undecided

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #9512 on: December 30, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »

I believe there is no new music, just a continuation of touring. Im done hoping for new music, who knows when a new single will come out. Just be happy they are touring and the rest is gravy.

Rizzo160
cineater
Legend

« Reply #9513 on: December 30, 2022, 10:46:58 PM »

How about we put all this behind us and start a new thread?  New year, new hope, start on a positive note.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #9514 on: December 31, 2022, 06:15:43 AM »

Well, compared to Van Halen, GNR fans are getting "constantly" something that is actually new  hihi

VH since 2000.

2000 - First six albums remastered, no bonus tracks
2004 - Best Of album (with 3 new bad Van HAGAR songs, ugh)
2012 - A Different Kind Of Truth (removed from streaming services in 2022)
2013 - First six albums re-remastered, no bonus tracks, again
2015 - Tokyo Dome Live in Concert 2012 (audio only, no video!)
2015 - First six albums re-re-remastered, and again, no bonus tracks
2019 - The Japanese Singles (7" collection of previously released singles)
2020 - Eddie Van Halen dies and the band disbanded
2022 - some talk about Eddie tribute show that doesn't go anywhere because according to Eddie's son and bands bassist Wolfgang Van Halen:

"Their camp is very dysfunctional - everyone! Hell, it was difficult to make plans even when the band was active"

TBA - First six albums re-re-re-remastered, now in SACD, and you guessed it: no bonus tracks!

And no live stuff on official youtube channel and the band always mainly toured US only (besides Japan and Australia).
No any kind of proshot videos except couple of TV appearances here and there.
Also no any kind of vault releases or box sets of unreleased material.
And the two music videos for ADKOT album were pulled off from official YouTube channel along with the album.
Guess the 10 year licensing deal with Interscope ended and band didn't care enough to keep it online.

GNR since 2000

2008 - Chinese Democracy
2014 - Appetite For Democracy 3D (live album with 3D bluray)
2018 - Appetite For Destruction Box Set (unreleased demos and rarities)
2022 - Hard Skool EP (two new songs and unreleased live tracks)
2022 - Use Your Illusion Box Set (unreleased live tracks with the holy grail live show on bluray)

Also live stuff on official youtube channel since 2009(?) tour and during covid, like the Not In This Lifetime Selects videos.
Also many many proshot videos and actual world tours (and not just US) over the years.

The stuff GNR fans get is at least somewhat new or unreleased. At least we don't get the same albums re-released over and over again without anything new added.
As a Van Halen fan, I'd love to have classic Roth era live show on bluray or unreleased tracks from the vaults like AFD and UYI box sets. They may not be the perfect releases but they are something.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #9515 on: December 31, 2022, 02:22:03 PM »

15 years is indeed a long time.
To me, it is curious why the workaholic Slash and similarly productive Duff have not been able to coax a new album out.
It's great to release rarities and unreleased songs, but a new album would be nice too.
BTW, I am really enjoying the UYI deluxe box set which captures when the band was at its height.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
DeN
Legend

« Reply #9516 on: December 31, 2022, 04:31:12 PM »

To me, it is curious why the workaholic Slash and similarly productive Duff have not been able to coax a new album out.

I don't think they're decision makers in the GNR organization

rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #9517 on: January 05, 2023, 07:45:07 PM »

All quiet on the homefront. I wonder if we will get an update before June. At least got new music from Metallica and the Smashing Pumpkins. beer

Rizzo160
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #9518 on: January 05, 2023, 08:12:58 PM »

I wonder if they are saving a song for when Grand Theft Auto 6 is announced? WTTJ was the used in the first commercial for GTA San Andreas in 2004 (and Axl was a radio host in the game). GTA is also notorious for being tight lipped and taking a long time between projects, but they are expected to announce it this year. Would coincide well...

(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9519 on: January 06, 2023, 06:13:17 AM »

Here's the GTA:SA trailer with Jungle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOzcbtsw_pQ

Good times.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: