Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1563586 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4000 on: January 15, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

But you would have no idea what he'd play.  That's the point.  Yeah, you probably hope he'd still give you the basic GNR show.  But do you know?  He would have no track record.

Just like you assume GN'R means they'll play the GN'R hits, and you assume the opposite would be true. No guarantee whatsoever of that being the case.
It all depends on whether or not in this hypothetical scenario he would've released a bunch of music under his own name.

If you go by the actual events and just change the name, then you'd pretty much get what we have had. Only labeled differently.

I would get the CD and digital releases.  As for deluxe versions, definitely if there's additional music or remixes, but I could be swayed by non-music stuff, not so much artwork or packaging, but I would love a DVD with band interviews talking about the making of the songs on the album or even just a tour diary booklet.

I find it interesting how little fans seem to "care" about the packaging itself. I mean, that's one thing people can't just download illegally for free. A nice package that holds the music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4001 on: January 15, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

The booklet or packaging really doesn't matter to me , but that's me

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #4002 on: January 15, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »

That's like buying Playboy for the articles.  Who does that?  It's the music that matters (IMO).
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #4003 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »

I would definitely be most interested in deluxe editions, the packaging has always interested and intrigued me every since the gatefold albums of the 70's-80's.

I would have loved the alternative covers for CD to have been more widely available, and I wish the correct booklet had been issued. I appreciate all the bells and whistles, as well as insight into why the artwork was used.

It adds to my enjoyment of the album experience. I hope the remix album gets released in some form, and I am putting in tediously long hours at present, so when a tour is announced I can be there beer

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4004 on: January 15, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »

That's like buying Playboy for the articles.  Who does that?  It's the music that matters (IMO).

A bunch of artists actually do this. You might not get more music, you get different packaging and formats.

But it's kinda telling that hardcore GN'R fans would buy the same standard Average Joe edition of the album as the next guy... Even if there was some special edition available.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4005 on: January 15, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »

"I would have loved the alternative covers for CD to have been more widely available, and I wish the correct booklet had been issued. I appreciate all the bells and whistles, as well as insight into why the artwork was used."

I am with Emily. Of all the albums I have purchased since the Illusions, I cared more about this particular record's artwork and liner notes. I was underwhelmed to say the least at what Best Buy released. Quite frankly it was terrible....However, the alternate artwork that I now have on my computer with all the proper liner notes is flat out perfect.

oh well...such is life. I do wish someday the album could be re-released on a limited scale with the intended artwork...would buy it and pay a premium for it.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4006 on: January 15, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »

A bunch of artists actually do this. You might not get more music, you get different packaging and formats.

But it's kinda telling that hardcore GN'R fans would buy the same standard Average Joe edition of the album as the next guy... Even if there was some special edition available.

/jarmo

Well I'd certainly buy the special edition ... But if the songs are exactly the same on both I don't need to buy both . Maybe I wasn't clear or didn't understand the question.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4007 on: January 15, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »

Sorry if I was unclear.

The main question was, would you buy a special/deluxe edition and if not, why not?
I'm interested in what would make you go for one. It seems like many here wouldn't get one if it didn't have any additional music.

Personally an album is so much more than just the music. The booklet, the artwork, the lyrics... Unfortunately this seems to becoming a lost thing. Like phone booths.  hihi

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4008 on: January 15, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »

Yeah, I would need additional music.

Know when I look at the booklet?  The day I buy it.  That's pretty much it.

But even one new song, I'm buying it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4009 on: January 15, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »

So let's say you had a choice between a regular cd with a regular booklet, or a deluxe version that looks more like a book with a cd in it, you'd choose the first one?

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4010 on: January 15, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »

I would choose the first one if it looked like what was intended by Axl for Chinese. That would have been enough for me...14 tracks and a kickass booklet.

I would only do a deluxe thing if it moved more towards a box set with outtakes and remixes.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #4011 on: January 15, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »

Its a rock band that makes songs we all like.  That's it.  Let's not get carried away here with how "Guns N' Roses" is some sort of movement.

It's a rock band.

It's a rock band that you do NOT consider to be GNR but, six years after their last release, are still here on one of their fan forums anxiously awaiting/hoping/anticipating/etc. not only their next release but even more so what whoever the 'current line-up' is will bring to the table as far as their 'GNR writing style'. 

If that isn't the epitome of the definition of the words "movement" or "cult", I don't know what is.

How many would buy the album in multiple formats if it was made available that way? Meaning buy a CD, buying the vinyl and maybe even digital release.
Or do you buy one copy only?

What do you think of deluxe editions? Would you buy one if it was offered? Why, why not?

As others have said, I like the deluxe editions with the different formats and all the bells & whistles.  I bought another copy of "Appetite for Democracy" when they released it with the additional audio cds plus the tee.

I would not however buy multiple version issues of a cd if the only difference between the versions was the color of the sleeve cover.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4012 on: January 15, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »

So without dwelling on the name issue, in this thread at least, let's talk about something on topic.

How many would buy the album in multiple formats if it was made available that way? Meaning buy a CD, buying the vinyl and maybe even digital release.
Or do you buy one copy only?

What do you think of deluxe editions? Would you buy one if it was offered? Why, why not?

/jarmo

If the deluxe edition is digital, I would buy it. For me, it's just easier to buy digital and keep things clean. I bought a new car almost a year ago. It still looks spotless and not a mess with Cds  in the car. The digital age has helped me a lot with being organized.
mortismurphy
« Reply #4013 on: January 15, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »

I think I finally might have found something upon which I agree with Jarmo!! Digital formats I find sort of, cold. I like to buy a physical copy and dissect all of the album artwork, the cover and linear notes. Why do you think bands like Zeppelin, Floyd and The Beatles put so much effort into their vinyls? Because it was part of one, aesthetic package, music, cover and artwork.

I will only buy one copy but I would consider buying the best copy available if the artwork was increased for a deluxe variant. 
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #4014 on: January 15, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »

The thing i like about GNR is that they dont make special editions with bonus songs.

for example two versions of David Bowies The Next Day came out in Feb- Mars one normal, and one deluxe version with about five bonus, songs, i bought the deluxe one.
But around November of the same year they released the same album with a bonus disk with the same bonus tracks i already bought and five more. That pissed me of a little.

I think a album should be a album, you thay should not have extra things for people who will discover the album in few years time have no chance getting those ''deluxe versions''

Imagine if the Beatles would have released the White Album in 1969 bonus tracks Hey Jude and Lady Madonna the come after Good Night. YOU dont add stuff to albums i think, (20 year anniversaries are a different thing, but im not much into those either)

Any way i would buy every format but not digital, and i dont hope for bonus versions to come, a NIN style remix album is fine.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
mortismurphy
« Reply #4015 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »

The bonus tracks thing originated in the Japanese market where, the price of compact discs is much higher. The Japanese were buying cheaper foreign imports, so record companies came up with the solution to give them something 'extra' to make them buy the Japanese versions. Live Era is a good example.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #4016 on: January 15, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

So let's say you had a choice between a regular cd with a regular booklet, or a deluxe version that looks more like a book with a cd in it, you'd choose the first one?

/jarmo

I would absolutely want the book like one! But in buying it, I would hope that Axl wasn't stingy with his words or expressing himself with it in some way. I would be disappointed if I bought it and the Axl stuff in it only occupied a small fraction of it. I don't care as much what the other guys have to say, to be honest.

Pictures of band members are not really desirable, there are hundreds of those out there. With this hypothetical special package that does not include any additional songs, whatever the non music aspect that makes it a special edition is, it ought to be really special. Artwork is great to have, sometimes it can really blow you away, but what I really want (other than music) is insight and information.

Edit: When you said version that looks more like a book, the first thing I thought of was words. But I guess the book could be filled with lots of artwork. Either way I would buy it, but I would prefer that whatever is in it provides deeper insight into Axl's versions of the meanings of CD songs if it is a CD reprint or remix. I guess this could be done with words or artwork.

In regards to the next non CD album (shows you where my priorities are), a special package that holds the CD and looks neat or whatever would be worth buying for me, but of course I'd rather it have additional songs. That sure would be a nice gesture for us hardcore fans.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:51:34 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4017 on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »

Yeah, I meant that the cd itself would be packaged in something that looks more like a hardcover book than a plastic cd case. Something that made you think that there were effort put into it. For example.

Like i said, this is something you can't just copy and download for free. It would be something physical you can hold in your hands.

Now the productions costs, those are a different matter.  hihi

/jarmo

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4018 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »

Yeah, I meant that the cd itself would be packaged in something that looks more like a hardcover book than a plastic cd case. Something that made you think that there were effort put into it. For example.

Like i said, this is something you can't just copy and download for free. It would be something physical you can hold in your hands.

Now the productions costs, those are a different matter.  hihi

/jarmo

Yeah I would hope if there is a deluxe issue that it would be available as soon as the regular version.

Because if it comes out for example 4 months after the regular. I would be less inclined to go for it assuming it was the same tracklist...

Ahhh who am I kidding. The more i think about it, I probably would treat myself.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4019 on: January 16, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »

/jarmo

If they're released simultaneously, I would take the deluxe version with the fancy booklet; if the deluxe is released later, I would need more than just new artwork and better quality packaging to buy a 2nd copy, unless the first disk got beat up a bit (which happened with my Chinese disk), then I'd buy it regardless.  

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:25:21 PM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: