Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1549037 times)
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #6440 on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »

well, facts: the most recent *known* vocals have been recorded sometime around 2003, when Buckethead was still in the band.
the same about all the other instruments, except for Frank's and BBF's additions.
it's pretty safe to say that nothing has been seriously recorded since then, besides maybe some random stuff now and then.
now the question: how many years have passed since that time? Roll Eyes

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6441 on: May 25, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »

The fact is: They're filling up stadiums around the world.  Until that changes, and there is a REASON to do "something" to compel people to buy concert tickets....they're not likely to do that "something".
It's weird tho. Apple sells a lot of iPhone every year and they still keep refreshing their lineup every single year.

My point is: just because the tour is selling well, this is no excuse to just sit on it and wait for the eventual lost of steam. They actually should take advantage of their position of selling out stadiums around the world to introduce people (the casual fan) at least a sample of a new album (let's say, one new song). I'm talking about the US and South American dates, the European tour still could happen with the very same setlist with no problems.

I know, I know. There's no new album in the foreseeable future. Im just venting.

well, facts: the most recent *known* vocals have been recorded sometime around 2003, when Buckethead was still in the band.
Didn't Axl recorded overdubs in 2006 or even 2007?

(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6442 on: May 25, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »

Didn't Axl recorded overdubs in 2006 or even 2007?

I always assumed the raspier vocals on the album were recorded around that time.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6443 on: May 25, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »

My opinion is that for them to extend the tour, it means that there is good to great chemistry within the band. I think we'll see an album next year as a result.  In the meantime, I'm going to get a ticket to see GNR at MSG.
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #6444 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »

My opinion is that for them to extend the tour, it means that there is good to great chemistry within the band. I think we'll see an album next year as a result.  In the meantime, I'm going to get a ticket to see GNR at MSG.
yeah man, that's it  beer

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6445 on: May 25, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »

Not in This Lifetime suddenly feels like an appropriate title for this supposed "next album."  Roll Eyes
ericy210
Headliner

What's up..... homefuck!

« Reply #6446 on: May 25, 2017, 10:24:31 PM »

Of these 323 pages, how many pieces of speculation have come true?

Iowa City 1993, Leeds 2002, Quad Cities 2002, Chicago 2002, NYC 2006, Lisbon 2006, London 2006, Donnington 2006, Wembley 2006, Chicago 2006, Toronto 2010, Chicago 2011, Chicago 2012, Chicago 2016 x 2
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #6447 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:01 PM »

My opinion is that for them to extend the tour, it means that there is good to great chemistry within the band.

Well, there are several quotes of different members of the band and/or staff saying the band was ''over'' in terms of human relationships in early 1991. They have toured the complete globe TWICE after that (the UYI tour is still one of the longest and most succesful rock tours ever), so i dont think ''new dates'' equals ''they are best friends''. At least that doesn't fit GNR's history.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #6448 on: May 26, 2017, 02:16:54 AM »

Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source. Anyone can make up anything.

So...those people weren't in all those buildings?

Didn't you hear, Guns has been playing to EMPTY stadiums for the past two years but keeps on touring!  rofl

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #6449 on: May 26, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »

Except....the numbers on Wikipedia, in this case, exactly reflect the Billboard numbers that have been published.

The fact is: They're filling up stadiums around the world.  Until that changes, and there is a REASON to do "something" to compel people to buy concert tickets....they're not likely to do that "something".

I get people want new material.  As a fan, totally understandable. I do, too.

In that case it is better to cite Billboard as the source rather than the unreliable Wikipedia.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6450 on: May 26, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »

It's weird tho. Apple sells a lot of iPhone every year and they still keep refreshing their lineup every single year.

My point is: just because the tour is selling well, this is no excuse to just sit on it and wait for the eventual lost of steam. They actually should take advantage of their position of selling out stadiums around the world to introduce people (the casual fan) at least a sample of a new album (let's say, one new song). I'm talking about the US and South American dates, the European tour still could happen with the very same setlist with no problems.

I know, I know. There's no new album in the foreseeable future. Im just venting.

VERY different set of circumstances.

Apple makes their money off the hardware.  They revamp (and by revamp, I mean add 2 new cool tech features, and one annoying thing every year) their phone to sell more high profit items to the same consumers they sold high profit items to last year.  It's a profit cycle.

New music is actually the exact opposite.  Album sales make shit for the artist, and the label keeps most of the money that DOES get spent on music. At this point, artists release new music to drive consumers to their live shows, and to a lesser extent their merch, because those are their high profit (you hope) centers.

IF, for example, Apple made all their money off app sales, and their phones were money losers, or break evens...you would see Apple break out a phone every 5 years or so, just to catch up with modern tech.  You can see this in the video game industry...where software is the money maker, and the hardware is a loss leader.

New music, now, is a loss leader for artists. 

I know fans don't really want to have to think about how and why the sausage is made.  And it's tough to think about the art you love also being a business (or even mostly a business, for some). But it is what it is.

I don't disagree with your stance from a creative point. I think being on the road "together" should/could drive their creativity, energy, and cohesiveness to bring on better music.  But in terms of marketing...."new customers" for this fan base are probably better getting exposed to their live show vs new music.  And down the line...new music isn't going to pull in a ton of new business for this band.  The rock genre doesn't penetrate well into the current market, for new listeners.  And GnR is never going back to getting a top 40 hit, in all likelihood. In the genre charts, sure. But the global top 40? No way.

So, we can argue the "can they or can't they" thing.  All that's valid and I wonder, myself, how juiced these guys are to write new songs together (or re-record older stuff?).  But in terms of sheer business sense...the reunion sort of took the place of new music for this tour.  It, alone, is putting butts in seats.  The shows are sold out.  You can't, literally, but that many, if any, more butts in those seats by doing ANYTHING.  So, if you release a killer new album...something that burns up the charts....you're no better off.  You literally wasted a bullet in the chamber (pun intended) because you'll see pretty much zero sum benefit from it.

Except the fans will be ecstatic.  It would buy tons of good will for that.  I think they could get the exact same amount, though, with a single release in July, to coincide with AFD30. Because, again, goodwill has a max amount. I think the reunion refilled most people's goodwill (along with being dependable, good citizens, on tour).  It's only just starting to ebb amongst the hardcore, who really really really want an album (understandably).  If and when that starts to penetrate the casual fans (which, honestly, you'll see in ticket sales, too), THEN maybe they need to start seriously looking at something in the near future to quell the tide, and get people back into the frame of mind to buy tickets.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:44:55 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6451 on: May 26, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

Apple makes their money off the hardware.  They revamp (and by revamp, I mean add 2 new cool tech features, and one annoying thing every year) their phone to sell more high profit items to the same consumers they sold high profit items to last year.  It's a profit cycle.

New music is actually the exact opposite.  Album sales make shit for the artist, and the label keeps most of the money that DOES get spent on music. At this point, artists release new music to drive consumers to their live shows, and to a lesser extent their merch, because those are their high profit (you hope) centers.

IF, for example, Apple made all their money off app sales, and their phones were money losers, or break evens...you would see Apple break out a phone every 5 years or so, just to catch up with modern tech.  You can see this in the video game industry...where software is the money maker, and the hardware is a loss leader.

I know fans don't really want to have to think about how and why the sausage is made.  And it's tough to think about the art you love also being a business (or even mostly a business, for some). But it is what it is.

I don't disagree with your stance from a creative point. I think being on the road "together" should/could drive their creativity, energy, and cohesiveness to bring on better music.  But in terms of marketing...."new customers" for this fan base are probably better getting exposed to their live show vs new music.  And down the line...new music isn't going to pull in a ton of new business for this band.  The rock genre doesn't penetrate well into the current market, for new listeners.  And GnR is never going back to getting a top 40 hit, in all likelihood. In the genre charts, sure. But the global top 40? No way.

So, we can argue the "can they or can't they" thing.  All that's valid and I wonder, myself, how juiced these guys are to write new songs together (or re-record older stuff?).  But in terms of sheer business sense...the reunion sort of took the place of new music for this tour.  It, alone, is putting butts in seats.  The shows are sold out.  You can't, literally, but that many, if any, more butts in those seats by doing ANYTHING.  So, if you release a killer new album...something that burns up the charts....you're no better off.  You literally wasted a bullet in the chamber (pun intended) because you'll see pretty much zero sum benefit from it.

Except the fans will be ecstatic.  It would buy tons of good will for that.  I think they could get the exact same amount, though, with a single release in July, to coincide with AFD30. Because, again, goodwill has a max amount. I think the reunion refilled most people's goodwill (along with being dependable, good citizens, on tour).  It's only just starting to ebb amongst the hardcore, who really really really want an album (understandably).  If and when that starts to penetrate the casual fans (which, honestly, you'll see in ticket sales, too), THEN maybe they need to start seriously looking at something in the near future to quell the tide, and get people back into the frame of mind to buy tickets.

You are compaiRing all artists to each other

Who knows what guns deal with there record label is.  I am sure it is more in the ateisits favour than some garage band just starting out

I agree you def can't put any more bums in the seats.  But you sure could sell a lot of these new albums at concerts to all these bums

You could put new music on soundtracks and use it to promote local shows and get great radio air play

You would be ginvont the fans something. 

Anyone who says there isn't big money to be made off of guns releasing a album, I feel, is just trying to make things right in there mind to the current state
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6452 on: May 26, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »

You are compaiRing all artists to each other

Because all artists, including big name ones, operate in the same industry, with the same sales figures.  And while there maybe a more favorable split with the label....it doesn't matter.  All label contracts include covering costs of marketing, distribution, etc FIRST. And then a split of the proceeds.

Given global sales numbers, it is virtually impossible to make vast sums of money off album sales. That's reality.

Who knows what guns deal with there record label is.  I am sure it is more in the ateisits favour than some garage band just starting out

Sure, it's better than a start up band.

But unless GnR have the single most lopsided, greatest, most artist friendly (not to mention, most clairvoyant, in terms of streaming and digital revenue and rights) contract ever signed, EVER, by ANYONE, it still is not favorable to the artist, in today's market.  Do the research. It's pretty easy to find.

I agree you def can't put any more bums in the seats.  But you sure could sell a lot of these new albums at concerts to all these bums

And the band would make about $3 a sale-ish (assuming a $15 price tag), maybe?

How many physical CDs do you think they're selling at a show with 50k people? 5k? If they're lucky?

People don't buy music at shows, and they don't buy physical CD's, really, at all anymore.

Was there a flocking to buy Chinese Democracy during this tour? It's an album I'm sure a LOT of the folks in the audience hadn't heard.....and it's available for sale...so it was "new" to them.

You're holding on to an antiquated notion of what the music industry was, not what it is, now.

You could put new music on soundtracks and use it to promote local shows and get great radio air play.

The shows that are already sold out?

And what does radio air play get them?

Because there's no more room at the shows....

FYI, I listen to siriusxm and my radio beeps at me constantly that GnR is playing, somewhere. It's like Metallica. There is no shortage of ability to listen to them on the radio.   And they're not getting played on anything other than a rock station....and that audience knows them already.

You would be ginvont the fans something. 

At very little benefit to the band. You'd be giving the fans something JUST for that purpose.  That would the the entire reason you put the album out.

Anyone who says there isn't big money to be made off of guns releasing a album, I feel, is just trying to make things right in there mind to the current state

And anyone who says there is big money to be made in ANY album release is ignoring (or doesn't understand) the actual music industry.  Sorry, but there it is. Look at history. Look at sales. Look at the reported industry splits.  The only people that make significant money when an album is released is the label.

You can WANT something to be true...you can say it's true...it doesn't make it so.  The state of the industry is what it is, and ignoring it isn't going to suddenly change it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:09:46 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6453 on: May 26, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »

Here...to make the point, I'm going to do some math that's super favorable to Axl, Slash, and Duff.

Say they put out a new album. It sells for 9.99 (typical price point right now).

They sell a million albums this year, which would be one of the biggest album sales in the past few years, mind you.  ADELE had the top seller in 2016 with about 750k copies.

Assume Gnr (aka the artists cut) gets just under half of every sale, straight out of the shoot (they don't, and they won't).

That nets them about $4.5 million.

Now, we'll ignore the pesky royalties split rules, and how the writer gets more than the performer. Or how there's potentially other people that need to get a cut. Or any of that. We're gonna split this amongst the 6 main members we can assume are on the album. Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank, and Dizzy. And yes, I know I'm leaving out Melissa. We still don't know if she's an album artist or not.  Again, trying to be super favorable to Axl/Slash/Duff here.

We'll give Axl, Slash, and Duff 66%, and give Richard, Frank, and Dizzy the other 33%
Axl: 990,000
Slash: 990,000
Duff: 990,000
Richard:495,000
Frank: 495,000
Dizzy: 495,000

THAT, my friends, is not big money. And it's literally the most favorable math you could possibly give them.

Look at the tour money.  It DWARFS the money the album would generate. Now add merch sales. And artists get a much greater cut of BOTH.

OK....any questions?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:37:24 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6454 on: May 26, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »

Of course, I know that. But my whole point was that the company can't drop the ball and just wait for the next cycle. Even the videogame industry as you mentioned is changing: PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio are mid-gen refreshs to keep up with the competition (PCs).

But let's just forget my poor analogy. The point still is new music, I'll talk about it later.

I wasn't talking about new music to backup the current sold-out tour. I was talking about taking advantage of it to expose more people to just a bit of new material. Because they should look foward after the current set of dates and keep the momentum.

If it was any other band, I'd say: shure, take your time after the tour. Rest, use the downtime to get criative. But it's Guns N' Roses. We're talking about tons of new material hidden in the vault. Not only with Bucket/Robin stuff, but even dated back when Slash and Duff were still in the band. We?re talking about a lineup that don't release new original songs since 1991. I think it's only fair that we are a bot more anxious than what should be considered normal.

Does it make sense from a financial standpoint to release a new album? I don't know, you sure know more than me. I just think it's not just about the income and revenue in this market, but validation. If you keep current and relevant, you keep your fanbase with you. Pearl Jam did that. It's not a mainstream band as it used to be, but they are still relevant today.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6455 on: May 26, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »

Except....the numbers on Wikipedia, in this case, exactly reflect the Billboard numbers that have been published.

I get people want new material.  As a fan, totally understandable. I do, too.

In that case it is better to cite Billboard as the source rather than the unreliable Wikipedia.

Apology accepted.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #6456 on: May 26, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »

I wasn't talking about new music to backup the current sold-out tour. I was talking about taking advantage of it to expose more people to just a bit of new material. Because they should look foward after the current set of dates and keep the momentum.

But that's the thing. Currently, backing up the current tour is the only context (other than fan "happiness"). I think they are looking forward, as much as they reasonably can.  And they might be working on new material.  But releasing it? I still don't see a good reason why. To convince people to come back, when they tour to support the new album, later?  If they're in the stadium, pretty sure they'll check out, at least passingly, anything released AFTER the tour is over, too.

If it was any other band, I'd say: shure, take your time after the tour. Rest, use the downtime to get criative. But it's Guns N' Roses. We're talking about tons of new material hidden in the vault. Not only with Bucket/Robin stuff, but even dated back when Slash and Duff were still in the band. We?re talking about a lineup that don't release new original songs since 1991. I think it's only fair that we are a bot more anxious than what should be considered normal.

Oh, I get the anxiousness and desire.  I'm just pointing out that, really, a release has to benefit BOTH parties. Fans AND the band. Right now...the benefit to the band is marginal, at best.

Does it make sense from a financial standpoint to release a new album? I don't know, you sure know more than me. I just think it's not just about the income and revenue in this market, but validation. If you keep current and relevant, you keep your fanbase with you. Pearl Jam did that. It's not a mainstream band as it used to be, but they are still relevant today.

It's not JUST about income and revenue in the market. But it has to be at least PARTLY about that.

And, tbh, I think they're getting all the validation they need, night in and night out, when the venues are packed.

They can worry about current and relevant, if that's what they want to be, once they're done with this part.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6457 on: May 26, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »

OK....any questions?

Just one.

How many more hoops do we have to jump through and pretzel contortions must be performed to avoid just leaving it at "Axl doesn't care"?

This is not directed as an attack on anyone.  But all this "well, what if they did...", "you know what they could do...", and "if you look at what <insert artist here> did..." is the very height of wasted effort.

Axl DOES...NOT...CARE.

He may make sure that he gives his all on stage each night.  And I have no reason to doubt he is sincere when he thanks fans for their support, either from the stage or from his Twitter account.

But when it comes to putting out new music...folks, the man simply can't find one single solitary fuck to give.  And stopped looking for one about 10-15 years ago.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #6458 on: May 26, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »

Axl DOES...NOT...CARE.

He may make sure that he gives his all on stage each night.  And I have no reason to doubt he is sincere when he thanks fans for their support, either from the stage or from his Twitter account.

But when it comes to putting out new music...folks, the man simply can't find one single solitary fuck to give.  And stopped looking for one about 10-15 years ago.

this.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6459 on: May 26, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »

OK....any questions?

Just one.

How many more hoops do we have to jump through and pretzel contortions must be performed to avoid just leaving it at "Axl doesn't care"?

This is not directed as an attack on anyone.  But all this "well, what if they did...", "you know what they could do...", and "if you look at what <insert artist here> did..." is the very height of wasted effort.

Axl DOES...NOT...CARE.

Hmmm, you are missing one very important factor.

THe reunion with DUff and Slash.

IF you had posted this comment 2-3 years ago, when Axl looked tired, frustrated, uninspired,  his vocals were weak and Guns N Roses was starting to look like an old act that goes to die in Las Vegas.... Then I would agree with you.

But Axl looks more fit, his voice and confidence are back and the overall energy of the band doesnt seem to be losing any steam.

If you think they are not doing anything with music you must be crazy ! At the very least, I think Slash and Duff are rearranging unreleased Axl songs and they must be trading riffs and ideas.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: