Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1549248 times)
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #6860 on: September 01, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »

No ,but I don't want it to be just a nostalgia trip there's a huge audience there for them as we've seen with this tour for them to capitalize on by releasing new music, God knows we don't want only the Foo Fighters leading the charge for Hard Rock .
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #6861 on: September 03, 2017, 01:24:25 AM »

Brief tour???151 gigs in two years one of the biggest tours of all time would hardly call that brief ,look we can live and hope of a new GnR album but realistically when this tour finishes in  November they will go their separate ways and that will be that ,Slash and Duff won't wanna hang around if new music isn't forthcoming and they are probably committed to their own side projects ,how frustrating must it have been for the last incarnation of GnR to have had only one new album in 20 years these guys are creative they don't wanna be constantly playing AFD and Illusions no matter how good the loot is .Most people join a band so they can create new music and play it live not to be a glorified tribute act of their former selves but the ever controlling Axl sees it differently.

Speculation. We've no idea whatsoever what they think.

This.  peace
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6862 on: July 07, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »

Been a long time, just bumping this one.

I would say there's a reasonable chance we'll see something new within the next year. Based on comments from Slash and Duff, it seems we might hear some of the songs mentioned in the original post. Personally I'm hoping for at least some songs written entirely by this line-up as well.

What would the mood of a new GN'R album be? Slash is still Slash, with the "rock n' roll vibe" he always had. Duff's last effort is a mellow one, maybe we'll see an acoustic effort written together with Axl?

Will Melissa have an impact, sort of retaining the electronic element as we saw with Nu-Guns? Personally, I hope it will be in a subtle manner. Wouldn't mind her doing some backup vocals on a couple songs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:16:58 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6863 on: July 07, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »

I would say there's a reasonable chance we'll see something new within the next year. Based on comments from Slash and Duff, it seems we might hear some of the songs mentioned in the original post. Personally I'm hoping for at least some songs written entirely by this line-up as well.

What would the mood of a new GN'R album be? Slash is still Slash, with the "rock n' roll vibe" he always had. Duff's last effort is a mellow one, maybe we'll see an acoustic effort written together with Axl?

Will Melissa have an impact, sort of retaining the electronic element as we saw with Nu-Guns? Personally, I hope it will be in a subtle manner. Wouldn't mind her doing some backup vocals on a couple songs.

If it's happening I think lyrically it will be very political (all signs point to that), and musically I would speculate on there being a strong electronic influence mixed with the more blues-rock type stuff Slash does.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6864 on: July 07, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »

If it's happening I think lyrically it will be very political (all signs point to that), and musically I would speculate on there being a strong electronic influence mixed with the more blues-rock type stuff Slash does.

I do wonder a bit about the music, to me it seems the most uncertain at this point. I'm sure Slash at least would want to push the sound more towards the analogue, straight-from-the-amp sound. I'm not opposed to a digital element, but maybe tone down the loops a bit compared to CD.

Lyrically, I think you're right. It seems that it is the area where Axl has the most to communicate these days.

Sweetness is a virtue
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6865 on: July 07, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »

I do wonder a bit about the music, to me it seems the most uncertain at this point. I'm sure Slash at least would want to push the sound more towards the analogue, straight-from-the-amp sound. I'm not opposed to a digital element, but maybe tone down the loops a bit compared to CD.

Lyrically, I think you're right. It seems that it is the area where Axl has the most to communicate these days.

For sure - it's pretty much the only communication/comments he makes now. Duff is obviously big on it, and even Slash touches on it now. It's the obvious way for them to go.

I think the electronics would certainly be less than CD - largely due to the fact that the idea of 'electronic rock' in general barely exists now, whereas in the period of CD's creation it was in it's prime. The idea of combining electronics with rock seems almost quaintly antiquated now, certainly in the 'mainstream'. I think the closest indicator we have as to how the sound might play out is perhaps in the new intro to Better.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #6866 on: July 08, 2019, 05:39:07 AM »

For sure - it's pretty much the only communication/comments he makes now. Duff is obviously big on it, and even Slash touches on it now. It's the obvious way for them to go.

I think the electronics would certainly be less than CD - largely due to the fact that the idea of 'electronic rock' in general barely exists now, whereas in the period of CD's creation it was in it's prime. The idea of combining electronics with rock seems almost quaintly antiquated now, certainly in the 'mainstream'. I think the closest indicator we have as to how the sound might play out is perhaps in the new intro to Better.

I don't think there is too much electronic in Cd in terms of quantity. It's all about the bad use of it and the digital overproduction. For example: we have always 3 guitars in it (and every guitar is recorded how many times?)  but how many guitars can u really listen to ? Axl said there were  2 true orchestras and 2 fake orchestras (or something like that)  blended togheter: can u really notice it? I mean, just use an orchestra and that would be enough. Orchestras in Cd sound really fake... So u can use the electronic but with a grain of salt. The electronic in CD is mainly useless and it just ruins the sound.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:41:36 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6867 on: July 09, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »

I think the presence of slash and Duff alone will bring back balance to GNR regardless of whether its electronic or overproduced.

CHinese Democracy songs suffered from a lack of flow. CD songs played now just flow better, before they just sounded stiff (If that's a thing).

So acoustic or overproduced, I think it will work this time around because Slash and Duff bring the groove back to whatever song from CD they play on.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6868 on: July 10, 2019, 12:51:00 AM »

I disagree with alot of these critiques of CD. I'd agree that at times it suffers from the cut and paste of multiple recording sessions, and I wasn't a fan of all the late additions to the album, ie. the guitar slide on Better, or the changed solo on Rhiad. But the songs themselves are well written and sound great. The electronic stuff is actually used sparingly so the fear of an 'industrial' record that some had never came to pass. It sounded like a band that managed to advance its classic sound without totally abandoning it. CD did most things right.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #6869 on: July 10, 2019, 02:41:06 AM »

I think the presence of slash and Duff alone will bring back balance to GNR regardless of whether its electronic or overproduced.

CHinese Democracy songs suffered from a lack of flow. CD songs played now just flow better, before they just sounded stiff (If that's a thing).

So acoustic or overproduced, I think it will work this time around because Slash and Duff bring the groove back to whatever song from CD they play on.

I'm a total Slash fanboy, but he has not brought any groove to the CD songs because he's lost his groove on his own songs. It kills me to say it, but ever since 2014 or so, he's really lost his groove and melodic feeling and become a shredder. It's mind blowing because it's so antithetical to everything he always stood for. I never imagined I would listed to Slash do a duet with Fortus and come away more moved by the CD era member...

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #6870 on: July 11, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »

I've been to the SMKC concert just the other day, it was fun and great but then Slash was "stuck" in a 15 min solo.
In the first five minutes it was amazing, then exhausting..

Love Slash, and I DO think he gave new touch to the CD songs (except for TIL, please, for fuck's sake leave this beautiful tune alone!)
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #6871 on: July 11, 2019, 10:09:32 AM »

Whats the point if cd would have sounded like any othet rock album?
The "overprodction" is what makes it interesting and the quality of it is so good that it makes it an unique and beautiful record

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6872 on: July 11, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »

I'm a total Slash fanboy, but he has not brought any groove to the CD songs because he's lost his groove on his own songs. It kills me to say it, but ever since 2014 or so, he's really lost his groove and melodic feeling and become a shredder. It's mind blowing because it's so antithetical to everything he always stood for. I never imagined I would listed to Slash do a duet with Fortus and come away more moved by the CD era member...

I agree and disagree. He did make those CD era songs better. Take better for example, the intro, the little fill-ins, the tempo. The only exception being This I love because he refused to play the original Solo. IF it aint broken dont fix it, that solo was perfect.

I do agree that lately he's been a bit more shredder than bluesy. Maybe its because he wanted to keep-up, technically speaking, with bumblefoot and buckethead. Kind of saying, "I can do that too". For a long time people where saying those two guys did stuff Slash could not. Maybe he wanted to prove them wrong, I dunno. Maybe he likes the exercise or the feeling of unleashing raw energy, It works sometimes. Will he do that in the studio with Axl? I doubt it. Axl elevates Slash just like Slash elevates Axl. That doesn't happen with Myles. Myles is a hired gun (pun intended).

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6873 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »

Whats the point if cd would have sounded like any othet rock album?
The "overprodction" is what makes it interesting and the quality of it is so good that it makes it an unique and beautiful record

People said November rain was overproduced and its a masterpiece. So obviously overproduction is not the problem. I think the problem is rhythm. The CD Era band was just stiff, robotic, square, digital, perfect, but when listening to it, it gives me the impression that I cannot breath.When Slash and Duff worked on them though, I thought that they took that robotic feel out of the song without taking the overproduction away from them. 

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6874 on: July 11, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »

Axl elevates Slash just like Slash elevates Axl. That doesn't happen with Myles. Myles is a hired gun (pun intended).

This is what I'm hoping for in the new record, that those two will get back that songwriting chemistry. Axl brings the melodies and Slash supports that beautifully with his riffs and solos.

Sweetness is a virtue
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #6875 on: July 11, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

I agree and disagree. He did make those CD era songs better. Take better for example, the intro, the little fill-ins, the tempo. The only exception being This I love because he refused to play the original Solo. IF it aint broken dont fix it, that solo was perfect.

I do agree that lately he's been a bit more shredder than bluesy. Maybe its because he wanted to keep-up, technically speaking, with bumblefoot and buckethead. Kind of saying, "I can do that too". For a long time people where saying those two guys did stuff Slash could not. Maybe he wanted to prove them wrong, I dunno. Maybe he likes the exercise or the feeling of unleashing raw energy, It works sometimes. Will he do that in the studio with Axl? I doubt it. Axl elevates Slash just like Slash elevates Axl. That doesn't happen with Myles. Myles is a hired gun (pun intended).

Better is the only song I might say he did well, possibly better, than CD. But TIL, Sorry and the others were pretty much all butchered with directionless wanking. CD was really not as robotic as you're remembering. Really only the drum parts are robotic IMO. The guitars are all grooving quite well, especially Finck and Fortus.

And I don't buy the blame-Myles excuse. He was still playing melodically in 2010 with Myles and that old style still shines through on Apocalyptic Love, although you could tell he was starting to think less about solos and melody.

Also, when he guests with highly respected other artists like Ozzy, he plays no differently.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:27:37 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6876 on: July 12, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »

Axl elevates Slash just like Slash elevates Axl. That doesn't happen with Myles. Myles is a hired gun (pun intended).

This is what I'm hoping for in the new record, that those two will get back that songwriting chemistry. Axl brings the melodies and Slash supports that beautifully with his riffs and solos.

Slash has his own sound, you can tell its him no matter who he is playing with. But there definitely seems to be a missing element in his playing when he is with Myles, I mean that stuff is good, but not great.  Even his stuff with VR was better than with Myles IMO.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #6877 on: July 13, 2019, 12:59:16 AM »

Slash has his own sound, you can tell its him no matter who he is playing with. But there definitely seems to be a missing element in his playing when he is with Myles, I mean that stuff is good, but not great.  Even his stuff with VR was better than with Myles IMO.

You're forgetting the simple progression of time; most artists simply lose inspiration as they age. Also, Libertad was a dud (mostly) and yet Slash & Friends was utterly fantastic, including the tracks with Myles easily standing above Libertad.

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #6878 on: July 13, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »

You're forgetting the simple progression of time; most artists simply lose inspiration as they age. Also, Libertad was a dud (mostly) and yet Slash & Friends was utterly fantastic, including the tracks with Myles easily standing above Libertad.
I think slash is overdoing his thing. As a guitarist myself, sometimes I don’t touch my guitar for months. You have to go out, listen to other music, read a book... everything can inspire you... overplay doesn’t help... even focusing on other instruments just for fun really helps... i love slash, seeing him live is a great experience, hes really one of a kind but lately he loses himself to nonsense solos like the last of guitar wankers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 02:15:25 PM by ITARocker » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #6879 on: July 13, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »

the only thing I hope is they will surprise me.

Appetite For Destruction took me by surprise, Use Your Illusion I & II took me by
surprise, Chinese Democracy took me by surprise, I want the same with this new album.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: