Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1548890 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7940 on: July 02, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »

True, downloading individual tracks was around before iTunes. But I was talking about the way people legally buy music... Smiley

Napster changed everything though.

The value of recorded music kinda disappeared in a way.

Like you, I still buy CDs, vinyls occasionally. Other than that I use streaming services which have substituted buying songs/albums on iTunes.

It's not going to happen but, I think it would be cool if they did a tour in which they cycle through the new material before it is recorded and released. This way, they can see what hits, what misses, what tempos work, etc. When the album gets recorded and released, deluxe editions/box sets could be formed including the various live versions from the tour, allowing the hardcore fans to have a "scrapbook" of how they songs grew.

With a band the size of GNR, this approach would be tough to do as stadiums filled with people are expecting the well known material. If they could somehow do a series of secret club shows it may make it easier, especially if they could prohibit cell phone recordings.

I believe that the recorded versions would have a better feel if they demoed the songs this way. Think about how many songs from Appetite were played at shows before it was recorded.

They kinda did something like this with Chinese Democracy.

Songs were performed before the final versions were released.

They just didn't release the early live versions.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7941 on: July 02, 2020, 12:50:46 PM »

Yeah, personally I do. I like to play an album beginning to end, all the way through. Today for example, I've played four from my collection from beginning to end. For me, that's how I want to consume music. I don't like the flicking about from one band to another, the fact a computer algorithm may have chosen what I'm to listen to etc. etc. It just doesn't sit well with me, as I think albums are like a statements - a piece of art that reflects where a musician was at that time, and that thought and effort has gone into making complete. To chop that up seems absurd to me; a lot of albums flow perfectly. I feel that every single GNR album is a classic example of this- they absolutely should be considered as individual entities, to be enjoyed end to end.

On the other hand of course, if an artists vision is to release singles only, then great too. I'm sure I mentioned this before somewhere here, but a band I like very much, Ash, released a single every fortnight for a year, digitally. That was their focus and intention. They later compiled them into two album length compilations for people to buy, so that was great. I got to enjoy the concept for a year.....then pick up two compilations of all the tracks to keep in my collection.

So yeah, GNR taking that sort of approach would be great!

Oh I agree. A lot of albums have a perfect flow, and it all makes sense. Packaging, artwork, song order etc. It's all part of the art.

Maybe a compromise could be the optimal way?

Release a few singles/EPs some time apart. Then an album with the "A-sides" from the singles/EPs.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7942 on: July 02, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »

It's shameful how little people value music really now.

They CLAIM they do.....then won't spend a penny on it.

One thing I'e really enjoyed during lockdown is going through my CD collection and pulling out things I'd not played in ages and giving it the time it deserves. Mind you the fact I have so much time means I have no money!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7943 on: July 02, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Yeah, personally I do. I like to play an album beginning to end, all the way through. Today for example, I've played four from my collection from beginning to end. For me, that's how I want to consume music. I don't like the flicking about from one band to another, the fact a computer algorithm may have chosen what I'm to listen to etc. etc. It just doesn't sit well with me, as I think albums are like a statements - a piece of art that reflects where a musician was at that time, and that thought and effort has gone into making complete. To chop that up seems absurd to me; a lot of albums flow perfectly. I feel that every single GNR album is a classic example of this- they absolutely should be considered as individual entities, to be enjoyed end to end.

On the other hand of course, if an artists vision is to release singles only, then great too. I'm sure I mentioned this before somewhere here, but a band I like very much, Ash, released a single every fortnight for a year, digitally. That was their focus and intention. They later compiled them into two album length compilations for people to buy, so that was great. I got to enjoy the concept for a year.....then pick up two compilations of all the tracks to keep in my collection.

So yeah, GNR taking that sort of approach would be great!

Oh I agree. A lot of albums have a perfect flow, and it all makes sense. Packaging, artwork, song order etc. It's all part of the art.

Maybe a compromise could be the optimal way?

Release a few singles/EPs some time apart. Then an album with the "A-sides" from the singles/EPs.

/jarmo

That would, to me, seem the perfect approach. Similar to the Ash one. The album could even feature all the stuff from the EPs I think. Maybe a couple of 'bonus' tracks to encourage purchases. People like myself would snap it up.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7944 on: July 02, 2020, 03:10:45 PM »

One thing I'e really enjoyed during lockdown is going through my CD collection and pulling out things I'd not played in ages and giving it the time it deserves. Mind you the fact I have so much time means I have no money!

Some of that is true.

Some of it isn't.  People pay money for music...they just do it in a different way.  Youtube adds, spotify premium accounts, etc.

They're not buying albums and singles.

They're paying a relative pittance (thanks label system!!) for unfettered access to a mountain of content. 

The VALUE of new content/material is not what it was. Not by a long shot. And, even prior, it was a rigged game that saw the label system reaping the majority of the "value" of new content.

Now, it makes even MORE sense to release and tour on the new material in short order.  That way the artist is at least reaping SOME benefit/value from that new material.  Otherwise, it's pennies over time.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7945 on: July 02, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »

Yeah, tours used to make people buy albums. Now albums are released to be able to book new tours, to make some money that record sales don't bring anymore....

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7946 on: July 02, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »

Some of that is true.

Some of it isn't.  People pay money for music...they just do it in a different way.  Youtube adds, spotify premium accounts, etc.

They're not buying albums and singles.

They're paying a relative pittance (thanks label system!!) for unfettered access to a mountain of content. 

The VALUE of new content/material is not what it was. Not by a long shot. And, even prior, it was a rigged game that saw the label system reaping the majority of the "value" of new content.

Now, it makes even MORE sense to release and tour on the new material in short order.  That way the artist is at least reaping SOME benefit/value from that new material.  Otherwise, it's pennies over time.

Sure. It's value that has gone. It pisses me off massively actually as I see bands struggling financially. I always think if you can't spare 10 pounds/dollars whatever on an album to enjoy forever that someone has put years into creating then it's a sorry state of affairs.

But you're right of course.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7947 on: July 02, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »

Yeah, tours used to make people buy albums. Now albums are released to be able to book new tours, to make some money that record sales don't bring anymore....

/jarmo

The whole structure is reversed, yeah. I think it's sad though because I've seen concerts become less affordable as a result....and when I was a teenager that problem never existed. Gigs were relatively affordable.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7948 on: July 02, 2020, 05:54:12 PM »

Having a disability, it's now  easier to consume music  for me with Spotify, Amazon Music or even when  iTunes was around. I miss going to a record store and looking at different music artist. However, it's now easier to organize music. I used to have CDs and tapes everywhere.
AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #7949 on: July 02, 2020, 06:06:58 PM »

Reading these comments... About expenses etc. The olden days have gone and now  How's best to do it etc. How to release an album. Blah. Really!? Well it's no longer the golden era. We in the real world of sales and marketing moved on from that 10 years ago, we got on with it, so if you are still figuring this out then management is way behind.
 These guys don't need the money. I understand record companies want to make a buck, I really do. But these guys don't need the money. I'm not saying make it for free. I'm not. But please don't tell me this is a bout money for the band themselves. I don't buy it. Not for Slash or Duff anyway. I really don't. All this it's about 'how we put it out' is delay tactics. If its good enough it will sell enough. Just like the pop stars of this world are doin just fine from albums. I want to state... I really hope for an album. I do. I hope to hear tracks of axls of old and new. But I don't wana hear expenses and stuff. Not from a bunch of millionaires. Please... No.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7950 on: July 02, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »

Did you ever think that it might not be a question about sales for the band, but more about how do we get the most people to pay attention to the music?

How do you get people to familiarize themselves with something new, so it's not a complete surprise when it's played live, for example?

The attention it deserves. Instead of it being another album. Things like that don't really matter to hardcore fans, they'll (hopefully) buy it regardless.

/jarmo

AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #7951 on: July 02, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »

Again as I state... If its good enough it will find a way. Just as AFD did years ago and just like all the pop stars albums still do brilliantly today like Sheeran, capaldi, Gaga, Beyonce, coldplay.. They all do fine  in a traditional way. Sell millions of albums.
U can argue its pop... But I dnt buy it. Rock is as popular as pop. Pop just puts out more albums and seems to do the right amount of promo.

Asking 'how do you' get' people' to familiarise themselves with something new... You don't. You just don't. If u think it is ur deluded. Sorry. You don't 'get' people to do anything. All the sales and marketing in the world doesn't get people to buy or do anything. The market, mostly, is smart enough. Again, if its good enough the quality will do the rest. I didn't buy any album on marketing.

Attention it deserves? Have u heard it? After the history of the band and supposedly failure of the last album(despite how great it was to me) The songs willl ultimately be the test.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #7952 on: July 02, 2020, 07:53:39 PM »

A glimmer of hope:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-is-focusing-on-writing-new-music-and-recording-guitar-stuff-for-guns-n-roses/?fbclid=IwAR29dnb9clz0Fe_e7Tz7pzxWwRfKUq40-wPOy25bgePSSBRnNoE-zRdghCw

SLASH Is 'Focusing On Writing New Music' And 'Recording Guitar Stuff' For GUNS N' ROSES

July 2, 2020

In a brand new interview with Sweetwater's Nick Bowcott, GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash was asked if he has been able to get any music-related projects completed while in quarantine for the past three and a half months. He responded (hear audio below): "I've been pretty much a homebody, but I've been back and forth between my studio in the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own. I've been jamming with Duff [McKagan, GUNS N' ROSES bassist] and I've been jamming with Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES singer], and I've been doing stuff like that, so we've been getting some work done that way. But I haven't been doing much else. I haven't been doing any collaborations with the odd artists and whatnot. [I'm] basically just focusing on writing new music and recording demos and recording guitar stuff for GUNS and whatnot."

Slash, who is notorious for his road-warrior ways, also discussed what it has been like spending so much time at home without being able to perform live.

"It's frustrating, because we would be on the road right now," he said. "The whole [GUNS N' ROSES] tour from March all the way through September is obviously canceled until next year. And then we don't even know for sure what's gonna happen next year. So that was frustrating. I had a cat who was really sick, and it was sort of a blessing that I was home to be there for her the whole time that she was sick. And I had to put her down, actually, a few days ago. But it would have been horrible if I had been gone and Meegan [Hodges, Slash's girlfriend] was left to deal with it all on her own. So there was somewhat of a blessing there. And it's been good to be with the kids and just to sort of be around. So those are the small blessings. So I try not to complain; I just sort of deal with it. The frustrating part about it was being home and doing nothing but house work for a couple of months."

As previously reported, GUNS N' ROSES' previously announced summer 2020 North American stadium tour has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic which is sweeping the globe. The nearly two-month-long trek was scheduled to kick off on July 4 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and run through August 26 on Missoula, Montana.

The band is now reportedly working on a new studio album — the first under the GUNS banner since 2008's "Chinese Democracy" and the first to feature Rose, Slash and McKagan since 1993.

GUNS N' ROSES' reunion tour features classic-lineup members Slash, McKagan and Rose backed by guitarist Richard Fortus, drummer Frank Ferrer, keyboardist Dizzy Reed and second keyboardist Melissa Reese

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7953 on: July 03, 2020, 05:59:49 AM »

Asking 'how do you' get' people' to familiarise themselves with something new... You don't. You just don't. If u think it is ur deluded. Sorry. You don't 'get' people to do anything. All the sales and marketing in the world doesn't get people to buy or do anything. The market, mostly, is smart enough. Again, if its good enough the quality will do the rest. I didn't buy any album on marketing.

Attention it deserves? Have u heard it? After the history of the band and supposedly failure of the last album(despite how great it was to me) The songs willl ultimately be the test.

Your post is a good example of the fact that some just refuse to understand why something might matter to someone else.

Lots of great music is released and no one knows.

You never heard a great song in a movie? Or a TV series? On the radio?

A glimmer of hope:

ok

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7954 on: July 03, 2020, 06:13:39 AM »

Again as I state... If its good enough it will find a way. Just as AFD did years ago and just like all the pop stars albums still do brilliantly today like Sheeran, capaldi, Gaga, Beyonce, coldplay.. They all do fine  in a traditional way. Sell millions of albums.
U can argue its pop... But I dnt buy it. Rock is as popular as pop. Pop just puts out more albums and seems to do the right amount of promo.

That's simply not true. Fantastic albums (and bands in general) have sunk like stones due to bad handling of their careers and music.

You state that 'pop...seems to do the right amount of promo' to be more successful then say 'all the sales and marketing in the world doesn't get people to buy or do anything'. You contradict yourself there!

The way an album is delivered and presented is vital to it's success outside of a very limited group of hardcore fans who buy anything. If you think sales and marketing within the music industry is a pointless thing then it really is you who are 'deluded'. Or very very far removed from the way the industry works.

AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #7955 on: July 03, 2020, 10:30:03 AM »

Yeah the points been kinda lost in translation here. I'm not saying marketing is pointless or isn't required.
There's always a grey area... What I meant was pop sells. They might market it with million dollars behind it. Doesn't make me personally buy it as Its just not my bag. Maybe kids do i don't know.  Look all I'm saying does an already massively established band like GnR, a band built on great songs and strong touring ethics, have to hold back because of marketing issues and 'how do we put it out' stumbling blocks. I'm not so sure. I appreciate we need adverts, magazine mentions, release dates etc. I'm not saying just drop it and stay quiet. Hopefully we will see something soon anyway.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7956 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »

It's not so much about selling millions of copies, like it used to be.

But it's probably more about how to get it to your audiences in a way that makes sense. That probably sounds silly to everyone who just think "put out the cd, people will listen".

But as I've pointed out in earlier posts, a lot of music listeners don't buy cds anymore.

Nowadays even interviews are different. A local newspaper interview didn't necessarily make headlines on the other side of the planet back in the day. Same with radio interviews. Now, everything is global. A tweet can create publicity that was unheard of back in the day.

Do bands need to grant interviews to Rolling Stone and other music magazines as much, or is it more about music news web sites now?

It's gonna be interesting to see what path they choose. Whether it's the old school approach with a physical album release, or what...  The Appetite re-release was a pretty old school release in a way, except you had different versions for different people. You didn't have to spend $1000 on the Locked N' Loaded edition if you didn't want to. You had the choice.

Wonder if that'll be the same with the new music as well. Different editions priced differently, or just one regular album like in the past.

/jarmo

AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #7957 on: July 03, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »

It will definitely be interesting. I agree. All I hope is it doesn't delay things way too much. That's my point really. Not in a selfish way, I really feel that GnR is being talked about again (or was before covid). I didn't want that momentum Lost. Let's see how they progress. Looking forward to things to come. And wow do we all need some good news this year!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7958 on: July 03, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »

It will definitely be interesting. I agree. All I hope is it doesn't delay things way too much. That's my point really. Not in a selfish way, I really feel that GnR is being talked about again (or was before covid). I didn't want that momentum Lost. Let's see how they progress. Looking forward to things to come. And wow do we all need some good news this year!!

I think the only "issue" now is how everything will make sense timing wise. Like, do you release new music to coincide with a tour, or would you release it in advance?

/jarmo

AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #7959 on: July 03, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »

Ha. I Know what I would do... But that is irrelevant
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: