Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1548995 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8440 on: January 06, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »

Hopefully if everything goes well with the vaccine rollout, GNR will debut new music in June. There has to be a calculated game plan if new music is to come out. beer

Rizzo - you are the most optimistic of everyone here -
Even when you sneak in a jab - you raise the glasses and say cheers
 beer

Cheers brother - hope you are right
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8441 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »

Thanks, always try to keep the faith.  If Chinese democracy can come out then the follow-up should not be as difficult to release, cheers beer

Rizzo160
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #8442 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:21 PM »

If Chinese democracy can come out then the follow-up should not be as difficult to release

This comment genuinely made me laugh, and I mean that in the absolute best of ways.  It's like, if Chinese Democracy got released, just about anything can be presumed as possible!   hihi peace
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8443 on: January 07, 2021, 06:07:06 AM »

Add to that: They finished a tour called Not In This Lifetime.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #8444 on: January 07, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »

Add to that: They finished a tour called Not In This Lifetime.

Yeah, I'll give Axl a lot of credit for not only being willing to eat his own words there, but also being willing to tour with Slash and Duff for nearly 4 years after having said that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:03:37 PM by Bridge » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8445 on: January 11, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »

Something that occurred to me.... How important are music videos to you guys nowadays?

A bunch of the new music released last year that I enjoyed, didn't have any music videos, or maybe the whole album had one video.

The music was definitely something I listened to, but I can't say I watched the videos more than once....

Totally different to the MTV era.

I get that people still watch videos on YouTube and discover new music that way.

But as GN'R fans, are music videos still important?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8446 on: January 11, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »

Something that occurred to me.... How important are music videos to you guys nowadays?

A bunch of the new music released last year that I enjoyed, didn't have any music videos, or maybe the whole album had one video.

The music was definitely something I listened to, but I can't say I watched the videos more than once....

I get that people still watch videos on YouTube and discover new music that way.

/jarmo

I think with this band specifically, the video (especially in the 90's) helped to relay Axl and the bands vision of the song. It was fun to see how that concept was going to play out. I think Axl, if paired with the right team, could really do great things with videos for new material touching on the current global (US) political landscape.

Today, I think that the video (even if just one per album) acts as a sort of commercial for the release. You tend to see these videos linked all over social media. With AC/DC for example I saw the video for Shot in the Dark on every major social media platform. With that said, I think the death of MTV as a music platform has made the video less impactful but still important.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8447 on: January 11, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »

/jarmo

Me? Meh...

I think you have to harness youtube, though, with any sort of new music.  I don't know how you choose to do that...youtube music, a music video...SOMETHING.

You'll get the other streaming and digital platforms with just the song.  But I think, from a marketing perspective, ignoring youtube is a bad idea. Uber bad.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8448 on: January 11, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »

I think with this band specifically, the video (especially in the 90's) helped to relay Axl and the bands vision of the song. It was fun to see how that concept was going to play out.

I discovered the band because of their music videos...They made some groundbreaking ones, and the stats show it.

I think Axl, if paired with the right team, could really do great things with videos for new material touching on the current global (US) political landscape.

Today, I think that the video (even if just one per album) acts as a sort of commercial for the release. You tend to see these videos linked all over social media. With AC/DC for example I saw the video for Shot in the Dark on every major social media platform. With that said, I think the death of MTV as a music platform has made the video less impactful but still important.

Yeah, it seems like music videos now are more about having some content for social media, than it's for being aired on regular TV.

Often you see this with a lyric video being made available first, and then a proper video premiere later. I guess that's one way of keeping interest in the same song up for a longer period of time?

/jarmo

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #8449 on: January 11, 2021, 01:35:35 PM »

I would really like some new videos, yes as Jarmo said its mostly to have content for social media than for TV but still. GNR is a big band that used to do great videos (mostly) and they stopped back in 1993. Some new videos would be great! They could even use them for the big screens at the live shows peace
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8450 on: January 11, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »

Worried about the tour kicking off in June if the vaccine rollout continues to go slow.  In the united States only 35 percent of the 25 million vaccines have been administered. If the tour gets pushed back then the new album will be delayed. Hopefully the other countries are having less problems vaccinating their citizens than the usa. beer

Rizzo160
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8451 on: January 12, 2021, 01:25:01 AM »

It only dawned on me recently that CD only had one music video, after they made, what, 35 for UYI?  Grin

Strange after it seemed Axl was the biggest fan of making videos in the early days, Slash has certainly said he didn't enjoy doing the trilogy videos at the time, although he's come to appreciate them. You'd think for his magnum opus, Axl would have been working on a feature-length film!

I would like to see it, but only if they actually put thought into it like the trilogy. The contrast would be something dumb like the video with puppets Slash had made for SMKC. That was just embarrassing.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8452 on: January 12, 2021, 04:10:59 AM »

I don't know if record companies nowadays are prepared to invest as much in videos and advertising as they used to be.

The popularity of music videos is measured in views on YouTube.

People still listen to music though.... That's the good news.

/jarmo

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #8453 on: January 12, 2021, 04:34:41 AM »

I don't know if record companies nowadays are prepared to invest as much in videos and advertising as they used to be.

/jarmo

Some musicvideo/concert platforms have been tried but i guess youtube is the one prople like to use. Live concertstreaming is popular.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
cineater
Legend

« Reply #8454 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »

/jarmo

Some musicvideo/concert platforms have been tried but i guess youtube is the one prople like to use. Live concertstreaming is popular.

Love concert streaming.  Facebook, youtube, nugsTV.  Chance to see concerts you missed.  Pay less for a band you didn't want to travel to see plus you have a great seat.  That one festival I attended introduced me to bands I had never heard of.  Concert streaming is too cool.  Reminds me of MTV from the old days.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8455 on: January 12, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »

/jarmo

I've wondered if a platform like Netflix or Prime would be interested in working with GnR like they have been with comedians. They could release a 2016-2019 concert and possibly archived material like Tokyo 92, or a pasted together Live Video Compellation then follow that up with a special that coincides with the release of new music. If there is time to capture it (or if it's already been captured) they could release a making of the album special that also includes a music video for the first single with official interviews (that they have full content control over).

Something like that may make for sense with Amazon, as they can co-promote the partnership with Prime TV, Amazon Music, and a branded Alexa tie in. The music could and should still be available in all traditional formats and available on all streaming platforms. The exclusivity would just be in the pre release content and possibly an extra track or two (like Coma on Live-Era only being available on the Japan release).
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8456 on: January 12, 2021, 12:56:05 PM »

I've wondered if a platform like Netflix or Prime would be interested in working with GnR like they have been with comedians. They could release a 2016-2019 concert and possibly archived material like Tokyo 92, or a pasted together Live Video Compellation then follow that up with a special that coincides with the release of new music. If there is time to capture it (or if it's already been captured) they could release a making of the album special that also includes a music video for the first single with official interviews (that they have full content control over).

Something like that may make for sense with Amazon, as they can co-promote the partnership with Prime TV, Amazon Music, and a branded Alexa tie in. The music could and should still be available in all traditional formats and available on all streaming platforms. The exclusivity would just be in the pre release content and possibly an extra track or two (like Coma on Live-Era only being available on the Japan release).

As far as I know, Netflix has made some specials with artists too. Documentaries, concert films etc.

/jarmo

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #8457 on: January 12, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »

live concerts/video footage is a fun compromise for now while there are no shows and while some people may not be ready or ok with attending concerts again in the near future. I think a full live show is fun for us die-hard fans, but the casual fan likes the music video aspect. so that's why you see bands uploading 2-3 songs from a show here or there.

attention span of the viewer may not be great enough to get them to sit for 3 hours and watch a whole show, but you can get their clicks and their views on short clips instead.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8458 on: January 12, 2021, 05:43:30 PM »

/jarmo

Youtube can actually be a decent revenue stream nowadays though. You have content creators on there making a living off their channel alone. I'm not sure how it used to work with MTV using music videos, whether they were paid a flat sum, or every time it aired, or dependent on viewership, or what. But AC/DC's video for Shot in the Dark already has 20 Million views. So I don't think the music video is dead at all. Lots of artists are doing really cool stuff with videos these days and Youtube allows people to watch them whenever they want instead of waiting and hoping it got rotation on MTV.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8459 on: January 12, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »

/jarmo

I discovered GNR by watching MTV with my father when I was 11 years old. We had just gotten cable in October 1987.  It was actually a video montage during a commercial break. The video montage had GNR last. It showed the clip of Axl in the electric chair during the WTTJ video. Seeing that had a huge impression on me as a kid. My father  said that this was a great band! If I didn't see that clip, I'm not sure if I would have discovered GNR or become a hardcore fan.

I do think that music videos plays a part in discovering a new artist. Music videos may not be as influential as they were in the 80s and 90s. However, I think they still play a role. 
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: