Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1549057 times)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #9220 on: August 22, 2022, 07:54:07 PM »

I’ll take Reckless Life over Anything Goes…both Hollywood Rose songs…just sayin’

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9221 on: August 23, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »

The problem for me is that Reckless Life just isn't that good of a song. It's clearly not on the same level as AFD material. Lies was just kind of a holdover record anyway.

I don't know how well reworked Chinese-era material would fit alongside new material by the current lineup. But then, it looks like they are clearing out the cupboards before they work on a new album anyway. So Lies might actually be the perfect analogy for what we're getting in the meantime. Or Spaghetti Incident. Just something to tide us over.

It was released before AFD was. That was one of the first two original songs the AFD line up released, and it existed before that line up did. Don't think it bothered fans at the time...

A good songs is a good song. You either like a song or you don't. When it was written or by whom shouldn't really affect that opinion. In my opinion.  Smiley

If someone doesn't like Absurd, that's absu..., fine! Using some kind of "it's just a leftover from the album" excuse as a reason not to like it, is just, kinda lame... Don't Cry and November Rain didn't fit on AFD. Do people think less of those because they're AFD leftovers? Cheesy

/jarmo

« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:54:34 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #9222 on: August 23, 2022, 03:55:33 PM »

To be nit picky….Reckless Life, Anything Goes and Shadow Of Your Love were Hollywood Rose songs and thus were cover songs during the AFD sessions. Absurd was created and released under the Guns N Roses banner…..as was November Rain and Don’t Cry. Guns banner covers a lot of different musicians and eras.

So, that’s how I see it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 03:58:58 PM by sky dog » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9223 on: August 23, 2022, 05:03:24 PM »

I’ll take Reckless Life over Anything Goes…both Hollywood Rose songs…just sayin’

Same here.  I always found 'Anything Goes' to be the weakest AFD offering, by far.

Would have swapped it out for 'Reckless Life' or 'Shadow Of Your Love'.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #9224 on: August 23, 2022, 05:10:49 PM »

No doubt…the AFD Anything Goes is a little too cheesy. I would have left it off and Think About You…10 perfect hard rock songs are left. IMO, AFD only needed one semi ballad. Sorry for moving off topic.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9225 on: August 24, 2022, 04:20:29 AM »

To be nit picky….Reckless Life, Anything Goes and Shadow Of Your Love were Hollywood Rose songs and thus were cover songs during the AFD sessions. Absurd was created and released under the Guns N Roses banner…..as was November Rain and Don’t Cry. Guns banner covers a lot of different musicians and eras.

So, that’s how I see it.

That's true. But do others see it that way and let it affect their opinion on the songs...

That's been my point all along. It just seems like a selective thing. If someone likes a song, they don't care when or where it originated. But suddenly they use the "it's a leftover" card when they don't like a song.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #9226 on: August 24, 2022, 02:41:38 PM »

Thats not true, I did not like Silkworms back in the day, and I still do not like Absurd now. I do however like Hard School. beer

Rizzo160
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9227 on: August 24, 2022, 03:22:31 PM »

That's fine. But you'd be surprised how many times I've seen that kind of reasons thrown around.

Someone doesn't like a song. Fine. Calling it a leftover while not calling something else a leftover, just funny... Cheesy

/jarmo

rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #9228 on: August 24, 2022, 04:14:37 PM »

Hard School sounds like GNR while Absurd sounds like a NIN song gone wrong. beer

Rizzo160
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #9229 on: August 24, 2022, 05:27:38 PM »

If it’s recorded and created for a Guns n Roses album, it’s Guns n Roses! Period. End of discussion! Whether or not you or I like it is meaningless….that is all Jarmo is saying…all I am saying.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #9230 on: August 24, 2022, 10:49:57 PM »

It was released before AFD was. That was one of the first two original songs the AFD line up released, and it existed before that line up did. Don't think it bothered fans at the time...

A good songs is a good song. You either like a song or you don't. When it was written or by whom shouldn't really affect that opinion. In my opinion.  Smiley

If someone doesn't like Absurd, that's absu..., fine! Using some kind of "it's just a leftover from the album" excuse as a reason not to like it, is just, kinda lame... Don't Cry and November Rain didn't fit on AFD. Do people think less of those because they're AFD leftovers? Cheesy

I think I actually made a similar point earlier in this thread. I don't care how old a song is, just how good it is. Absurd was quite fun live, but I don't listen to the studio track. HS I really only like the bridge/breakdown in the middle. The lyrics in general grate on me, they don't feel finished. And the chorus is too catchy in a bad way that it gets stuck in my head until it starts annoying me every time I hear it.

I just hope they're going to put more effort into reworking the material from here forward. NR was pretty drastically different from the Sound City demos by the time it came out on UYI.

But that's just me, I'm critical of everything, even if I love it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9231 on: August 25, 2022, 03:58:10 AM »

Am I the only one who loves Absurd here?  Grin

"...It don't really matter..."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9232 on: August 25, 2022, 04:26:17 AM »

No.

It's something a little different. Reminds me of when they released It's So Easy as the first single from AFD, instead of something that sounds more like the rest of the record.

I always liked that part of GN'R. They don't just make one kind of song. You might not like all of it, but it sure is more interesting than everything following the same style.

/jarmo

Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9233 on: August 25, 2022, 05:23:10 AM »

No.

It's something a little different. Reminds me of when they released It's So Easy as the first single from AFD, instead of something that sounds more like the rest of the record.

I always liked that part of GN'R. They don't just make one kind of song. You might not like all of it, but it sure is more interesting than everything following the same style.

/jarmo

Totally agree on that, Jarmo. That is why I love this band as well. I've said it before that my love is coming from and to the not so popular song and hits. Garden of Eden, slow version of You're Crazy and Bad Apples for example. Same goes for Absurd.

"...It don't really matter..."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9234 on: August 25, 2022, 07:47:35 AM »

The classics are amazing. And well deserved to be considered as such. But it's the other material that proves that there's more than the hits. The diversity is amazing and I'm personally grateful that this band has been able to go from It's So Easy to Sweet Child O' Mine to Patience to you Could Be Mine to November Rain to Coma to Civil War to Locomotive to There Was A Time to Absurd etc etc...

Absurd and Hard Skool are two different kinds of songs. The two singles just reinforced that whole "you can't pigeonhole us" attitude that GN'R has always had.

I don't know what exactly fans who didn't like Absurd, for example, expect the new material to be like. It might be something similar, or it might be the opposite.

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #9235 on: August 25, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »

Expectations, hard thing to nail down because I do like something out of my box once in a while.  But if we stick to my box, I like something I can sing along with, get in rhythm with my driving or makes my body move.  I don't always relate to the lyrics right away but if it's going to stick with me it's going to have to go that way.  Don't like pissed off songs that are bitchy or put you in fight mode.  I go to Ozzy for that, let's just get some anger out.  I go to GNR when I want to deal with some shit and put it in it's place, if that makes any sense.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #9236 on: August 25, 2022, 03:37:30 PM »

Sort of out of the blue... I was thinking when they release the new album.  Axl, Slash, Duff should do the Joe Rogan podcast.. They can reach a somewhat new audience and  could shoot down rumors... They haven't done much press as far as touring the last 6 years.  I think a new album especially with Slash and Duff back.. would do good.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9237 on: August 25, 2022, 04:30:43 PM »

I guess they're not interested in promoting someone else's podcast, TV show, magazine or whatever at this point.

Axl did that surprise interview with Eddie Trunk in 2006, and then did that TV interview with him in 2011, and how much has Eddie used it to promote himself?  hihi

The cool one Axl did was the China Exchange in London in 2016 when he answered questions from the attendees.

/jarmo

rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #9238 on: August 25, 2022, 07:26:56 PM »

At this rate we will get a album in 2030. 2singles don’t justify a new album.  Hopefully get new songs on this leg of the tour. beer

Rizzo160
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9239 on: August 25, 2022, 08:55:00 PM »

That '06 Trunk interview is so good. Just Axl shooting the shit and telling stories in a relaxed environment at a time when things were finally on the upswing for the new band. The story about Axl and Earl buying props for the It's So Easy video shoot is so funny. And the Mike Piazza guilt trip.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: