Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Private Show Tonight - Saint-Tropez, France
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Private Show Tonight - Saint-Tropez, France  (Read 38690 times)
Bumblefoot
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »

Spinal pain is a difficult one to explain.  I had both a posterial and anterial fusion (two rods and 6 45mm screws from the outside and 6 25mm screws from inside my body where my intestines had to pulled out first) and live day to day on Tramodil.  Some days I am wreaked, I can barely move and other days I can be fighting fit and hold my own against people half my age and at their peak in fitness terms.

The pain is always there.  It's how you deal with it that is the problem.  You plan your moves, times for meds and mentally prepare yourself for each day, a sudden change (such as an extra show) will throw you a curve ball, it will mess with you both physically and mentally.  My business failed in 2009 and having lost my life savings I needed to get what work I could.  A metal work yard was downsizing and I was given 5 weeks work (along with another guy) in shifting their stock to smaller premises, whilst the employees continued with a contract that they had fabricating a harbour gangway system.  It was a case of needs must, and took the risk to get the money I needed to pay the bills.  Guess what, with meditation each morning and being sensible in how I did the job I was able to get in the right mind-set to complete the job and was subsequently offered more work.  The point I'm making is Ron has clearly worked out what does and doesn't work for him.  He has clearly worked out how to manage his issues and on hearing of another show, I'm guessing this disrupted his coping mechanisms and when they get thrown as this gig did, it can often take days to get back to a state of mind where you are in more control of your pain.

BBF is a top guy and an asset to a top band, he is also a human that goes a long way to appreciating what ordinary fans go through to see him and the others play, doesn't put himself first much to his detriment I'd say.  When the fans ask for those autographs, photos and hugs, he isn't thinking about himself and probably isn't helping his own healing.  In truth, he possibly has extended the suffering he endures by making sure the fans get their trophy, the guy needs a break and an opportunity to build his own physical fitness to get the core strength back.  A carbon fibre twin-neck might help also....

Thank you for posting this.  I can count on one hand the people that really get it, you start to feel like you're the only one of your species...   it's just words to most people, you get it.  How it bends your mind on 'bad days'.  How you walk on eggshells 24/7 monitoring every physical movement, how pain becomes your crying newborn and you live day-to-day planning your life around it.  How it's always there.  Very few get it at all...

(All the bending back *helps* - leaning back, letting gravity help pull my shoulders back, gives relief.  The normal body-positioning needed for playing guitar - rounding the back and shoulders, looking down, causes more pain....)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:06:55 PM by Bumblefoot » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »

Unfortunately in this age of social media and the ability to instantly provide updates, things can be taken out of context and blown out of proportion.  I'm sure Ron was just blowing off some steam initially, but obviously when the show was over he admittedly had a blast.  The problem is, people will complain about never getting updates and never knowing what the hell is going on.  Then when an update is given, if it isn't what some people wanted to hear, it's "he shouldn't have said that.  Should've just kept his mouth shut".  I personally much prefer the openness and honesty.  Even if certain comments need further clarification down the line.

Here's to hoping that Ron, and the rest of the band and crew get some much needed rest after 3 years of touring.  And hopefully they will emerge somewhere down the line with some treats (aka new music). 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »

You have a point?  Tongue

Unbelievable.

/jarmo

harsh...
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »

Spinal pain is a difficult one to explain.  I had both a posterial and anterial fusion (two rods and 6 45mm screws from the outside and 6 25mm screws from inside my body where my intestines had to pulled out first) and live day to day on Tramodil.  Some days I am wreaked, I can barely move and other days I can be fighting fit and hold my own against people half my age and at their peak in fitness terms.

The pain is always there.  It's how you deal with it that is the problem.  You plan your moves, times for meds and mentally prepare yourself for each day, a sudden change (such as an extra show) will throw you a curve ball, it will mess with you both physically and mentally.  My business failed in 2009 and having lost my life savings I needed to get what work I could.  A metal work yard was downsizing and I was given 5 weeks work (along with another guy) in shifting their stock to smaller premises, whilst the employees continued with a contract that they had fabricating a harbour gangway system.  It was a case of needs must, and took the risk to get the money I needed to pay the bills.  Guess what, with meditation each morning and being sensible in how I did the job I was able to get in the right mind-set to complete the job and was subsequently offered more work.  The point I'm making is Ron has clearly worked out what does and doesn't work for him.  He has clearly worked out how to manage his issues and on hearing of another show, I'm guessing this disrupted his coping mechanisms and when they get thrown as this gig did, it can often take days to get back to a state of mind where you are in more control of your pain.

BBF is a top guy and an asset to a top band, he is also a human that goes a long way to appreciating what ordinary fans go through to see him and the others play, doesn't put himself first much to his detriment I'd say.  When the fans ask for those autographs, photos and hugs, he isn't thinking about himself and probably isn't helping his own healing.  In truth, he possibly has extended the suffering he endures by making sure the fans get their trophy, the guy needs a break and an opportunity to build his own physical fitness to get the core strength back.  A carbon fibre twin-neck might help also....

Thank you for posting this.  I can count on one hand the people that really get it, you start to feel like you're the only one of your species...   it's just words to most people, you get it.  How it bends your mind on 'bad days'.  How you walk on eggshells 24/7 monitoring every physical movement, how pain becomes your crying newborn and you live day-to-day planning your life around it.  How it's always there.  Very few get it at all...

(All the bending back *helps* - leaning back, letting gravity help pull my shoulders back, gives relief.  The normal body-positioning needed for playing guitar - rounding the back and shoulders, looking down, causes more pain....)

No problem fella. There's a saying about not judging a person until you walk a mile in their shoes, I'm not in your shoes Ron but I'm walking along side you.  The bending, stretching and all the weird movements just to get comfortable look pretty stupid to those not experiencing what you are going through.  Meditation wasn't something I believed in until I went onto a pain management course and promptly fell asleep in the class. hihi The pain had disappeared for the first time in 6 years I came to realise that in taking charge of the pain meant that I was finally able to experience "normal" functions once again. You understand the limitations you can work to and pace yourself, that's the important part, pacing yourself means the flare-ups are reduced, or at least not a surprise and you set yourself to be both prepared for them and more so,  to plan them to fit in with your needs. You take the hit, but its on your terms.

Regretfully I couldn't do any of the dates when you visited the UK, my budget and work commitments wouldn't allow it, but when the dates were announced and there was a glimmer of hope of being able to attend, I was gonna look out for you and hope to tell you of what I have been talking about here and hopefully help you into dealing with your days in regards to your injury.  Next time you are in the UK I'm coming to a show or two, I have the money set aside already, and hopefully you will have managed to find the inner peace to deal with the pain, on your terms.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
cineater
Legend

« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »

OK folks, gonna play with my rolls of belly fat (side-effects, yaaaaay...)    Enjoy the weekend  Smiley   Ron

You have a smile that warms my heart.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Need4Meat
Opening Act

« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »

Got nothing but respect for all these guys. Especially Ron, for dealing with the pain everyday. Thank you guys for an amazing tour, and the amazing show at london which we travelled 2050 miles for! Smiley
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:32 PM »

Been checking out this thread and figured I'd mention back problems I had when I was 13.  I had very bad back spasms which led to a chiropractor causing a hairline fracture in my back by accident.  I did not know that my lower back was broken, but as time went on I was literally crippled.  I have played basketball year round since I was 9 years old and still do to this day (I am 31 now).  At the peak of this injury I could not jog down the court and make a layup.  It was so horrible that finally one game during warmups I had to lay down underneath the basket because I could not even bend down to pick up a basketball on the floor.  People did not understand why I was in so much pain. 

Back pain can be crippling, and I can honestly say that having experienced plenty of sports injuries over the years (broken fingers and hands, torn rotator cuff, broken toes, sprained ankles, knees and wrists, broken jaw, ruptured tendons, shin splints, high arches) there is nothing worse than the back problems I had when I was 13.  Good luck to you Bumblefoot, if your pain is anything like the pain I experienced 18 years ago I really hope you can find treatment. 
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »

You mean like this?  Wink

Okay.  I stand corrected.   Tongue

j/k   Grin

Seriously.  Appreciate all you give to/for us fans during your time in GNR.  Wishing you well - mentally n' physically - in all your endeavors.   peace

P.S.  Hugs N' Kisses @MrsBumblefoot
Really appreciate all the pics n' tweets she posted during the tour.  Smiley

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »

No problem fella. There's a saying about not judging a person until you walk a mile in their shoes, I'm not in your shoes Ron but I'm walking along side you.  The bending, stretching and all the weird movements just to get comfortable look pretty stupid to those not experiencing what you are going through.  Meditation wasn't something I believed in until I went onto a pain management course and promptly fell asleep in the class. hihi The pain had disappeared for the first time in 6 years I came to realise that in taking charge of the pain meant that I was finally able to experience "normal" functions once again. You understand the limitations you can work to and pace yourself, that's the important part, pacing yourself means the flare-ups are reduced, or at least not a surprise and you set yourself to be both prepared for them and more so,  to plan them to fit in with your needs. You take the hit, but its on your terms.

Regretfully I couldn't do any of the dates when you visited the UK, my budget and work commitments wouldn't allow it, but when the dates were announced and there was a glimmer of hope of being able to attend, I was gonna look out for you and hope to tell you of what I have been talking about here and hopefully help you into dealing with your days in regards to your injury.  Next time you are in the UK I'm coming to a show or two, I have the money set aside already, and hopefully you will have managed to find the inner peace to deal with the pain, on your terms.
Amazing posts sir. I enjoyed reading and understanding them, thank you for your useful post Smiley

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »

Great moment here seeing a real connection between one of our own, Wight Gunner, and Ron, and the best part is that the truth came out and leaves us all humble.  Get well Ron!

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

I met Ron several times these past few years when GN'R came to Europe and I can say he is one of the best people I have ever met. He is a great person and soul. Hope you'll feel better soon Ron!

About the footage from this gig, it was a private gig so it's not surprising there is no footage on YouTube or whatever.

requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »

You mean like this?  Wink

Okay.  I stand corrected.   Tongue

j/k   Grin

Seriously.  Appreciate all you give to/for us fans during your time in GNR.  Wishing you well - mentally n' physically - in all your endeavors.   peace

P.S.  Hugs N' Kisses @MrsBumblefoot
Really appreciate all the pics n' tweets she posted during the tour.  Smiley

Nice to see you're still a class act.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: