Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NBA Season 2012/2013
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBA Season 2012/2013  (Read 55924 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »

Hey noticed we were a year or two behind posting in the old topic.  Looking forward to this year, despite a lot of the same old bullshit in the NBA.  Got this interesting article about how the new CBA really isn't going to stop the big teams from acquiring big time free agents no matter how much it costs them.

Monson: Jazz suffer while Lakers epitomize unfair NBA
NBA ? Under the new CBA, rich get richer at expense of league.

By Gordon Monson | | Tribune Columnist

Bit by little bit, the Jazz have pieced together a nice offseason, upgrading their team by various means, bringing in Mo Williams, Marvin Williams, Randy Foye and Dennis Lindsey. Each of those moves seemed a smart one, a step in a positive direction on a steady ascent toward improvement.

But combined, they were nothing compared with what the Lakers pulled off the other day, configuring that sweeping four-team, 12-player deal that brings them Dwight Howard and bounces them far beyond the modest gains of the Jazz.

They now have a starting lineup ? called "the best in the NBA" by Jeff Van Gundy, including Howard, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.

Life in the NBA isn?t fair.

And that wouldn?t be all that troubling, except that the league is built on competition. And if you build a league on competition, then it should be fair competition, where the league?s integrity is at least preserved and at most championed.

As is, it is neither preserved, nor championed.

It is simply up for sale.

A difficult truth: The new collective bargaining agreement, forged out of last year?s labor negotiations, didn?t do enough to balance the equation for unprivileged teams that don?t have the resources to commit to winning that privileged teams do. Yes, the Lakers will be taxed for the big salaries now on their roster. But given their market and the extra money they bring in from that market, they can pay those penalties on their way straight back to contention.

rest of the article here--   
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/54690688-77/lakers-league-money-nba.html.csp
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:04:25 PM by Bodhi » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »

So Rondo raised eyebrows by putting hands on Wade. Kevin Garnett made news by not offering his hand to Allen.

As Allen entered the game for the first time, he trotted toward the Boston bench, exchanging a handshake, embrace and a few words with Rivers, who hasn't hidden his displeasure about his former shooting guard's decision to sign with Miami and didn't sound certain before the game how he would react when he saw Allen in Miami colors. Allen then briskly shook hands with a few assistant coaches.

But when Allen tried to engage Garnett, the mutual pleasantries ended. Allen tapped Garnett on the shoulder as he sat on the Boston bench; Garnett didn't even flinch, staring straight ahead, refusing to acknowledge the gesture in any way.

''I was just trying to focus as much as I could. I am such an intense person,'' Garnett said. ''It was a blank. Obviously he's on the other side. It's time to play the game, man.''

Allen didn't seem flustered. His first shot in a Miami uniform was - what else? - a corner 3-pointer, which swished.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/miami-heat-beat-boston-celtics-120-107-championship-rings-lebron-james-26-points-10-rebounds-ray-allen-19-points-103012

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
gnr-4-ever
VIP

Personal Text:

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »

KG's reaction was priceless. Cheesy

Great game last night, worth staying up late at night to watch. Miami looked focused, the ring ceremony didn't have a effect on them.

Also the Lakers lost last night, Howard missed like 60 free throws and fouled out.  rofl

24/09/2010
17/07/2012
26/06/2015 🎩
19/05/2016 ⚡
04/07/2017
10/07/2017 🎤
03/06/2018
10/02/2019 🎩
19/07/2023
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »

So Rondo raised eyebrows by putting hands on Wade. Kevin Garnett made news by not offering his hand to Allen.

As Allen entered the game for the first time, he trotted toward the Boston bench, exchanging a handshake, embrace and a few words with Rivers, who hasn't hidden his displeasure about his former shooting guard's decision to sign with Miami and didn't sound certain before the game how he would react when he saw Allen in Miami colors. Allen then briskly shook hands with a few assistant coaches.

But when Allen tried to engage Garnett, the mutual pleasantries ended. Allen tapped Garnett on the shoulder as he sat on the Boston bench; Garnett didn't even flinch, staring straight ahead, refusing to acknowledge the gesture in any way.

''I was just trying to focus as much as I could. I am such an intense person,'' Garnett said. ''It was a blank. Obviously he's on the other side. It's time to play the game, man.''

Allen didn't seem flustered. His first shot in a Miami uniform was - what else? - a corner 3-pointer, which swished.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/miami-heat-beat-boston-celtics-120-107-championship-rings-lebron-james-26-points-10-rebounds-ray-allen-19-points-103012

I for one love it. Huge Ray Allen fan, so nothing against him, but I'm sick of all the buddy buddy bullshit between players on opposing teams in today's sports.
They are being paid to beat each other. Not many players like KG left in today's game, unfortunately. C's looked like shit, but they will be a force once all the new guys become acclimated, barring injuries of course.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:53:11 PM »

So, are the Knicks legit this year?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »

Too soon to tell i think but they have had 3 impressive wins to start the season.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »

They have some real talent, but their chances still hinge on Melo and Amare's willingness to play both sides of the ball.
They've yet to do it thus far in their careers other than in spurts. If they put in the effort on D, they could be scary.
Like my C's, a few key players have some serious miles on them, so health could also be an issue.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »

Too soon to tell i think but they have had 3 impressive wins to start the season.

This is the NBA, not the NFL.  There are 2 legit teams in this sport.  Lakers and Heat will be in the Finals.  Mark it down.   

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »

This is the NBA, not the NFL.  There are 2 legit teams in this sport.  Lakers and Heat will be in the Finals.  Mark it down.  

The 1-4 Lakers?  Are they so much better than the team that scraped by Denver in the playoffs and got knocked off 4-1 to OKC in the second round?... or the team that got swept in the second round by Dallas the year before?  They have technically lost 18 of their last 21 games stretching back to last year's playoffs and they are a lock to make the Finals?  With Mike Brown as coach?  2 aging stars and one young star with a bad back?  It remains to be seen if they are even the best team in their city.

Also, Miami faced two elimination games against Boston in the ECF last year and could have very well gone home before the Finals.  They were also down in the series against Indiana...

I'll admit that there are only a handful of true contenders, but it's far from a two-team league.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »

I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see Miami vs LAL, but C's and OKC will certainly have something to say about it.
It's funny how things change so quickly. When the C's were up 3-2 in the ECF, the media was saying Miami needed to blow it up, trade Bosh etc.
Now the media is handing them the trophy for years to come, and all of a sudden Lebron is knocking on MJ's 6th championships.

C's have a ways to go, but they will improve defensively as the year goes on.
If Bradley is on the floor vs Miami last year, it's not a series. C's win in 5. They've added Terry, Lee, Green, and Sullinger since, whom all have great chances of making the team stronger than last year once they gel as a unit.

OKC is still the team to beat in the West.
Lakers know as well as anybody that throwing a bunch of All-Stars together doesn't guarantee anything(see 2004).
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »

I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see Miami vs LAL, but C's and OKC will certainly have something to say about it.

Lakers know as well as anybody that throwing a bunch of All-Stars together doesn't guarantee anything(see 2004).

That 2004 gets a bad rap IMO, people act like they had a losing season.  That team got thrown together and went to the NBA Finals!  Knocking out the Spurs in their prime.  I also maintain if Malone didn't get hurt they would have won that title. 

WHen OKC let Harden go I think they let their title shot go with him.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

The 1-4 Lakers?  Are they so much better than the team that scraped by Denver in the playoffs and got knocked off 4-1 to OKC in the second round?... or the team that got swept in the second round by Dallas the year before?  They have technically lost 18 of their last 21 games stretching back to last year's playoffs and they are a lock to make the Finals?  With Mike Brown as coach?  2 aging stars and one young star with a bad back?  It remains to be seen if they are even the best team in their city.

Also, Miami faced two elimination games against Boston in the ECF last year and could have very well gone home before the Finals.  They were also down in the series against Indiana...

I'll admit that there are only a handful of true contenders, but it's far from a two-team league.

Yes, but Boston is not Boston anymore, they were old last year and this year they lost Allen to the Heat.  Miami figured it out in that Bosto series and have been unstoppable ever since.

The Lakers record is irrelevant, they could get in as the 8th seed, if they are healthy they will march to the Finals.  I agree with the Mike Brown comment, they werent going to get there with Brown, but I didnt expect him to be coaching them in April, and as of today he will not be.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »

OK not exactly sure D"Antoni was the way to go here for the Lakers.  Never understood this guy getting jobs when his coaching methods dont emphasize defense, in a league where defense in a key part in winning championships.  What do you guys think?

Overall I think the Lakers are talented enough to win despite their coach, I think they eventually would have gotten together under Mike Brown who is a far from stellar coach.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »

I'm pretty suprised they picked D'antoni as well... I mean, don't you wait to hear back from Phil Jackson before you hire someone else?

Anyways, I'm not complaining - I don't like the Lakers, but this should make them even more fun to watch.  We know that Nash can thrive under Mike (& a system that places no emphasis on D)!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »

I was surprised as well.
Always found it funny that Mike was sought after, since his all offense oriented style of coaching has proven to be built to fail come playoff time.
I thought it was hilarious when they paired him up with Carmelo and Stoudemire.

Maybe they feel that this cast of players is too good to fail?
They could be right.

I think the biggest hurdle is getting these egos to gel, and thought Phil would be the guy for the job. I guess D'Antoni is a players coach too, since they know they will be getting off easy on D..

He's got the preexisting relationship with Nash, but he's the least of his problems.
I'm no fan of Howard, but I guess when you have a dominant player like that, you can just throw him in there and that's your defensive game plan.

As a Celtics fan, I'm glad they chose Mike over Phil.
Should be interesting to see how it pans out.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

That 2004 gets a bad rap IMO, people act like they had a losing season.  That team got thrown together and went to the NBA Finals!  Knocking out the Spurs in their prime.  I also maintain if Malone didn't get hurt they would have won that title. 

WHen OKC let Harden go I think they let their title shot go with him.

I agree, just pointing out it's not a lock. Remains to be seen, but I still like OKC. Boston, LA and OKC have a ways to go before they can be expected to compete w/Miami, but they've got plenty of time to figure it out. I don't think Miami is unstoppable like the "experts" all seem to think. Can't count San Antonio out either until Duncan, Parker and Ginobli retire.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »

Free Bickerstaff!

D'Antoni won't last the season.  They are going to have three coaches on their payroll come playoff time.

And Bodhi, even with a healthy Malone, the Lakers were not stopping that Detroit team.  They were too fast!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »

Knicks are now 5-0 for the first time since 93-94 when they reached the finals. They have some tough games coming up their next few though.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »

6-0 Knicks!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »

6-0 Knicks!

lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »