Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NBA Season 2012/2013
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBA Season 2012/2013  (Read 55934 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »

What's so funny? They're still 6-1 tops in the conference. They just ran into a good team on the second game in two days and had one bad quarter that really cost them the game.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »

Andrew Bynum might have knee surgery in December that would keep him out for the rest of the season.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
gnr-4-ever
VIP

Personal Text:

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 03:12:53 AM »

Andrew Bynum might have knee surgery in December that would keep him out for the rest of the season.

The biggest clown in today's game. Even bigger than Dwight Howard.

How dumb do you have to be to go bungee jumping while you're under contract with the LA Lakers?

24/09/2010
17/07/2012
26/06/2015 🎩
19/05/2016 ⚡
04/07/2017
10/07/2017 🎤
03/06/2018
10/02/2019 🎩
19/07/2023
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »

lol
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »

How about those Knicks? Blowing out the Heat for the second time this season 112-92 and they did it without Anthony out for the game with a lacerated finger. It should be interesting to see what happens when Stoudemire and Shumpert return from knee injuries.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »

LOL @ LAL
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »

everyone can laugh all they want at the Lakers, they are still my pick for the Finals and to possibly win the whole thing.  Wait and see.  The only thing more meaningless than December NBA games are November NBA games.

I am also not a Laker fan at all by the way, but provided they are ALL healthy going into the playoffs, nobody will stop them.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »

Definitely too early to panic for any team. The C's have shown over the past few seasons that it is possible to flip a switch come playoff time.
Home court in the NBA is important, though, and I think it's probably easier for a defensive minded team.

We won't know what LA is working with until they have a healthy Nash running the show.
The rest of the league has a head start on them, and I still don't fully understand the fascination with D'Antoni, but I have no doubt LA will be far better than they have shown thus far.
Good enough to win the ship? I have a hard time seeing them getting by OKC even at full strength. LA has some serious talent, but they are gonna have to lock in on D if they want to keep up with the more athletic competition. They can already score. Nash's return isn't going to help their defense, and D'Antoni's never heard of the word.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Bradley's return does for this Celtic's team.
Jeff Green has been maddeningly inconsistent so far, much like the C's, but he has shown flashes. They are still relying too heavily on the criminally underrated Paul Pierce.
I'd like to see Green pick up some slack to save PP's legs. He's got the skills to make it happen.
Season starts for me once Bradley is healthy.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »

How about those Knicks? Blowing out the Heat for the second time this season 112-92 and they did it without Anthony out for the game with a lacerated finger. It should be interesting to see what happens when Stoudemire and Shumpert return from knee injuries.

What the Knicks have done so far is impressive.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »

LOL @ LAL

LOL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »

What the Knicks have done so far is impressive.

What makes it more impressive is they are doing it without Stoudemire and Shumpert. It should be interesting to see what happens when they both return.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Specific games / matchups don't matter in December or November... but the games DO matter when you're piliing up the L's... The Lakers can't make the Finals if they don't make the playoffs.  More likely now they're going to scrape in and get bounced in the first round by OKC, SA or Memphis. 

I'm suprised New York has kept it up, I keep waiting for the drop off but it hasn't come yet.  If anything they need to survive the return of Amare and the potential impact on their chemistry!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

Yea, I don't think Amare returning is a real boost, unless he buys in. Big "if".

Watched the LA game yesterday, and they look worse than I thought. Not much in the way of defense going on over there.
Granted they are missing Gasol and Nash, so I'll reserve judgement until they are all healthy, but they've got a long way to go before they are in the conversation of contention.

My Celtics do as well, but Bradley will undoubtedly help solidify the defense, and could also give the offense a boost.
Shifting Terry back where he belongs should give them the production I thought we'd be getting from the bench.
Hopefully everything falls into place. If so, they are constructed give the younger athletic teams a run for their money.

Not sure I can say the same about LA.
They look old and slow, and the players they are waiting on aren't gonna make em any younger.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 02:23:19 AM »

Another brutal game by the Nets, puts them at .500 which is right about where I think they should be 28 games into the season.  I didn't buy into that hot start they had as much as a lot of people on here, hope they turn it around, Deron Williams has got to get it going, I know he is injured but still.

Also, Lakers showing glimpses of figuring it out, they will be deadly if they do.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »

Avery Johnson is out, saw this coming in the last week or so.  Good move by the Nets.  I am sick of hearing how a guy who went 60-116 here is a "great" coach.  Lets not forget to mention the title shots he pissed away with Dallas.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »

When the conversation regresses from ?Can they win the title? to ?Can they make the playoffs,? you get a pretty good idea of how crummy the state of the Lakers is right now.

They?re interesting to watch for all the wrong reasons, fighting for relevancy when they were supposed to continue a legacy, and now they run the risk of being a total box-office stink bomb. They were so bad the other day against Oklahoma City that Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler left early -- Hollywood walking out well before the credits rolled, the ultimate thumb-your-nose by an entertainment town.

Is there such thing as a reality disaster show? If so, it?s playing at the Staples Center whenever the Clippers aren?t there, and who could?ve imagined this back in August? The Lakers are 16-21, a record that received a bump when they bravely delivered a must-win against the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers! In early January!

And now we?re left to try to make sense of it all, to apply some perspective to a situation that defies logic, to figure out why Jack didn?t cut them no slack, and to explain how the Lakers can still salvage the season and make the playoffs.

Whoa. Did that last nugget soar over your head like a football over a Broncos? defensive back? Lakers? Playoffs? This season? Surely right now you?re asking: Did this guy find some untouched peyote that Phil Jackson left behind from a few years ago?

Let us be very clear about this. The odds of the Lakers saving face and doing an about-face are very, very, Jenny Craig-slim. The circumstances and the facts are quite cold and harsh and don?t portray a promising picture for the Lakers, who dug themselves a deeper hole than Lance Armstrong. Here?s what they?re looking at:

Going into Tuesday?s game with the Bucks, the Lakers are five games under .500 and sitting 11th in the West, three spots away from the final playoff position. Assuming 47 wins will give them a reasonable chance at the playoffs, they must go 32-14 here on out, winning more than twice as many as they lose.

The Lakers are 0-7 against the Clippers, Thunder, Spurs and Grizzlies, the top four in the West, and must play those teams seven more times.

Their final four games are against the Blazers, Warriors, Spurs and Rockets, and the Lakers could conceivably be fighting two or three of those teams for a final spot.

Pau Gasol has missed 12 of the team?s 37 games with concussion and knee issues and his averages are across-the-board career-lows, along with his psyche and perhaps his trade value.

Coach Mike D?Antoni hasn?t solved the Lakers? defensive riddle -- you?re shocked about this, I can tell -- and the Lakers are giving up more points than all but four teams.

The Lakers are 5-12 on the road, and 10 of their next 15 games are away from Staples, creating the potential for doom to settle in right around the All-Star break.

Sounds depressing for the Lakers, sure. But not impossible to overcome. Stranger things have happened. Well, OK, maybe not. Still, in a best-case scenario, not only can the Lakers make the playoffs, they can climb as high as the seventh seed and even get beyond the first round.

For that to happen, everything must fall in place for this team, and immediately, and the Lakers must realize they?ve already used up their margin for error. D?Antoni said as much recently when he announced that the season started Sunday, meaning the win over Cleveland, a statement both silly and sound.

?We realize it?s important to make up ground now,? said Steve Nash, as the Lakers wisely adopt the ?look ahead, not behind? approach to the final 45 games. The sense of urgency has finally smacked them in the face and the Lakers realize that for them, the playoffs start three months early. It?s all hands and hamstrings on deck regarding a season that?ll collapse under the weight of another losing streak.

If the turnaround happens, here?s how:

Dwight Howard is finally, maybe, probably over his injuries. Nobody believes Howard is 100 percent, but he did look lively against the Cavs and says he never felt better as a Laker. Howard realizes, injury or not, his status in the league is slipping. He might be the game?s best center by default, since the position has never been weaker, but a franchise player? Howard needs to re-confirm this, and that only happens if he?s giving double-doubles and playing like he wants the Defensive Player of the Year trophy back.

Kobe Bryant is having a terrific season. This has been buried under the avalanche of negativity, but the Mamba is scoring 30 a game and shooting 47 percent. Yes, he?ll need to share the load now that Howard is back, and he can?t treat his teammates like Smush Parker, but if that?s what it?ll take, figure Kobe will do it. His championship clock is ticking. He?s not behaving like he?s 27 anymore, just playing like it.

Nash vows to control the ball and deliver it better, now that he has a sharper idea of how to feed Howard and where to find his teammates. Remember, Nash has only played 13 games, not enough time to expertly learn everyone?s tendencies. His role and his level of play can only rise in the second half of the season (though the same is not true of his defense, alas).

Gasol should only miss another game or two as he recovers from the concussion he suffered last week. He can?t get any worse on the court, can he? Nash said his priority is getting Gasol more involved offensively, a clear message to D?Antoni that the coach must do the same.

The Lakers will likely fight the Blazers, Rockets, Jazz and Timberwolves for the final two spots. All of those teams have warts, just not displayed as spectacularly as the Lakers?. The Rockets lead the Lakers by four games but have lost three straight; they play Tuesday against the Clippers and then start a four-game road trip, and their defense is even worse than the Lakers?. The Blazers are a bundle of unpredictability and lean heavily on their starters and their rookie point guard; how much longer can that hold up? Utah is a fickle team, not good enough to be totally taken seriously, not bad enough to fade from view. And Minnesota will be without Kevin Love for the next month at least and, therefore, dead meat.

Strictly from a talent standpoint, the Lakers have an edge on the teams they?re chasing, none of whom are threatening to distance themselves from mediocrity the way, say, the Warriors have.

If the Lakers do make the playoffs, then they?ll only get there by playing better than most of the NBA -- and hot teams are usually rewarded in April and May.

?I?m an optimist,? said D?Antoni. ?I think we can play well enough to win. I do. I think it can happen.?

So, there you go. The Lakers are on the verge of being fully healthy, Kobe is feeling frisky, Howard is getting serious and the teams fighting for the lower seeds are eminently beatable. Jim Buss, who built this masterpiece, says the Lakers are ready to make a move. D?Antoni likes what he hears and sees. There?s really only one way to go.

Therefore: Don?t you get the hunch that something special is about to happen? That the turnaround is around the corner? That the Lakers are ready to move beyond a dreadful start and find a way to keep Jack nailed to his seat this time? Don?t you? Don?t you?

Yeah. Me neither.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40965040/?tcid=MLB_Homepage_40965040

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »

Pending league approval the Sacramento Kings are moving to Seattle next season and will become the Seattle SuperSonics.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

Rondo will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »

Big loss there for the Celts.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »

Rondo will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL.
I'm hearing a lot of people, mostly in the Boston media, trying to downplay the Rondo injury.  Saying they'll be a better team defensively without Rondo and maybe even more diverse offensively, since everything ran through Rondo.  Problem is, everything ran through Rondo, so things will be completely different now.  Of course, Rondo has never been a very good shooter, so they won't miss him in that respect.

But I can't see how this injury doesn't greatly impact their chances at making any sort of run this year.  On the other hand, it was doubtful they were going very far even with Rondo.  It'll be interesting to see what they do in the interim to try and fill the void left by Rondo, as they really don't have any legit backup PG's on the roster.  Terry, Barbosa, and Bradley would be the top options, but they're all basically SG's.  I heard Delonte West's name floated around as well, but he too, is more of a 2.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: