Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  3 disc "Apocalyptic Love" edition to get Best Buy exclusive release on Nov 20
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 disc "Apocalyptic Love" edition to get Best Buy exclusive release on Nov 20  (Read 8243 times)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« on: November 17, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »

A new U.S. release for Apocalyptic Love, exclusively through Best Buy....

http://slashonline.com/2012/11/12/apocalyptic-love-special-enhanced-edition-in-us/

As SLASH Featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators are currently embarked on their world tour, the group have announced they?ll release a special 3-disc special enhanced edition of their acclaimed new studio album APOCALYPTIC LOVE exclusively at Best Buy on November 20. The collection includes the full 15-track version of the album including bonus songs ?Crazy Life? and ?Carolina,? eight unreleased acoustic tracks from the group?s Guitar Center Sessions as well as the ?Live From NY? concert DVD from SLASH?s sold-out record release show filmed live at Irving Plaza in New York City. The special enhanced edition will also include a collectible guitar pick tin.

Produced by Eric Valentine, who also did the same honors for his first solo disc Slash, all the songs on APOCALYPTIC LOVE were written together by Slash and Myles Kennedy. SLASH and his bandmates Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators?Myles Kennedy (vocals), Brent Fitz (drums), Todd Kerns (bass) and Frank Sidoris (guitar)?are riding a wave of critical acclaim with a four-star review in Revolver magazine noting: ?Apocalyptic Love is at heart a collection of lean, high-octane rock-and-roll tunes built to be blasted out of open-top sports cars or, more suitably, open-air stadiums? (July 2012).  Elsewhere, the Los Angeles Times said: ?Fans of his work in GNR and Velvet Revolver will find much to embrace in the album?s 13 tracks, ranging from the sneering rock hooks of ?You?re a Lie? and the heavy metal grind of ?Halo? to the extended instrumental passages on ?Anastasia?? (May 24, 2012)

Following is the full track listing for the APOCALYPTIC LOVE 3-Disc Special Edition:

?APOCALYPTIC LOVE? (Deluxe CD)

1) Apocalyptic Love

2) One Last Thrill

3) Standing in the Sun

4) You?re a Lie

5) No More Heroes

6) Halo

7) We Will Roam

8. Anastasia

9) Not for Me

10) Bad Rain

11) Hard & Fast

12) Far and Away

13) Shots Fired

Bonus Tracks

14) Carolina

15) Crazy Life

LIVE AT GUITAR CENTER (Acoustic) (CD)

1)    Beggars and Hangers On

2)    Back From Cali

3)    Civil War

4)    Fall to Pieces

5)    Far and Away

6)    Starlight

7)    Not For Me

8.    Sweet Child O? Mine

?LIVE FROM NY? CONCERT AT IRVING PLAZA (DVD, 72 min)

1)    Mean Bone

2)    Dirty Little Thing

3)    One Last Thrill

4)    Back From Cali

5)    Ghost

6)    Standing In The Sun

7)    Doctor Alibi

8.    Speed Parade

9)    Apocalyptic Love

10)  Watch This

11)  Starlight

12)  Just Like Anything

13)  Halo

14)  You?re A Lie

15)  Slither

Encore:

16)  By The Sword
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:55:00 AM by Bridge » Logged
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »

anyone pick this up yet?  I am thinking of getting because I was at the NYC Irving Plaza show and was spilling beer all over people in the front section for most of the show
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

I got it. I was at that show took. 2nd row in front of Slash. Love the acoustic disc. Was worth the $20
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »

3 discs of Myles Kennedy...yikes!

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

Just checked out bestbuy.com, you can't have it shipped, have to buy it in store, so I guess I'll go this weekend.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:29 PM »

Ok, I bought the "deluxe edition" today, not the first time I have purchased more than one edition of a Slash album. Slash, I hope you appreciate the fans who buy more than once, I am sure it is the record company and not you. I don't mind, the quality is usually worth it. The guitar sessions CD is excellent. I saw the Guitar sessions on HBO and it was absolutely great, but the CD has some songs not included in the show on DirectTV.

To the person who criticizes Myles ("three CDs of Myles, yikes"): I would say the following:
1. he is not Axl in his prime. But no one was Axl in his prime.  No one.
2. He is not Scott.

But, his voice is strong and his renditions are more than credible, by which I mean he does a really good job imitating the original. The original is always better, but he is not bad at all. IMO.

The other thing to note is that ALL Guns songs from the NYC show were deleted from the DVD, I guess for legal reasons. Rather odd since Slash should be part owner or at least have the right to cover his own songs, but whatever.

Still, a great buy and I 100% recommend.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:58:31 PM by russkwtx » Logged

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

The other thing to note is that ALL Guns songs from the show were deleted from this release, I guess for legal reasons. Rather odd since Slash should be part owner or at least have the right to cover his own songs, but whatever.

Well, the 3d CD runs at 72 min so they couldn't not include every songs. Apparently, Slash decided to focus on his own repertoire. On the other hand, the 2d CD has GnR songs.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

^I meant to say that all Guns songs were deleted from the DVD. I corrected my original post. I have the show as a boot and in reality there were 4-5 Guns songs performed that did not show up on this official release.

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »

Actually, vocally speaking, I think Axl sounds better now than he did in his prime.  He never really sounded that great live during GNR's heyday, it was his emotion and raw energy that drove the performance and made it memorable.

The other thing to note is that ALL Guns songs from the NYC show were deleted from the DVD, I guess for legal reasons. Rather odd since Slash should be part owner or at least have the right to cover his own songs, but whatever.

I doubt legalities were the reason why.  As Chuzeville pointed out, it was probably due to space and focus on current material.  Slash, Duff, and Steven performed GNR songs on the Hall of Fame show, which was televised, and there were no legal repercussions.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:22 AM »

Actually, vocally speaking, I think Axl sounds better now than he did in his prime.  He never really sounded that great live during GNR's heyday, it was his emotion and raw energy that drove the performance and made it memorable.

I doubt legalities were the reason why.  As Chuzeville pointed out, it was probably due to space and focus on current material.  Slash, Duff, and Steven performed GNR songs on the Hall of Fame show, which was televised, and there were no legal repercussions.

That's because he would have to pay Axl big money in order to have them on the DVD, and still i'm not sure if Axl would agree with it. Following the Guitar Hero Lawsuit, i would say no...

Axl in his prime was Axl in his prime period. Right now he's not in his prime, but he still kicks ass!

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

That's because he would have to pay Axl big money in order to have them on the DVD, and still i'm not sure if Axl would agree with it. Following the Guitar Hero Lawsuit, i would say no...

Prove this is the case.  As I said, I seriously doubt it.  Live performances aren't in the same arena as studio songs, which was the issue on Guitar Hero.  Also, as Axl said, "Slash has the rights to perform it but not in association with Guns".  In other words, Guitar Hero used a studio recording (not a live performance) and used Slash's image in connection with it, thus placing him under the Guns N Roses banner.

HBO featured live performances of several GNR songs at the Hall of Fame that were broadcast on TV, and there were no legal issues and I doubt they paid Axl a dime.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:00:49 PM by Bridge » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »

Slash didn't make money of HBO. That was property of HBO. Slash couldn't sell the live DVD from stoke in US with GNR songs on it. Only in EUROPE. Those were "for profit".
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »

Slash didn't make money of HBO. That was property of HBO. Slash couldn't sell the live DVD from stoke in US with GNR songs on it. Only in EUROPE. Those were "for profit".

That's funny, because Velvet Revolver's Live in Houston DVD features Guns N Roses songs, and that DVD was indeed released in the U.S.  Also, as was mentioned above, the bonus CD for Apocalyptic Love DOES contain GNR songs.  Both were "for profit".

Furthermore, even if money was involved, they wouldn't need Axl's permission.  Just like a cover song, no permission is necessary, as long as royalties are paid.  (Seriously, do you think Tracii Guns had permission to do all those GNR cover albums?)

But I doubt that even this is true in this case.  Live performances are NOT the same animal are studio recordings, and I'd be interested in reading/hearing anything that is actually official on the matter, as opposed to the speculation found here.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:01:19 PM by Bridge » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »

That was a 2005 DVD that took 7 years to come out. Who knows.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »

The CD from Guitar Sessions does not list the songs in the correct order. Geez, you wouldn't think it was that hard.
The correct order, as played on the CD is:

1. Cali
2. Beggars
3. Civil War
4. Fall to Pieces
5. Far and Away
6. Not for me
7. Starlight
8. SCOM

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »

I don't know why Guns songs were left off the NYC show on DVD but it is odd. I doubt it is for space reasons b/c the show comes in at about 1.5 hours w/o Guns songs and with the Guns songs about 2 hours, so there would not be a space problem at all. It's odd because a "live" recording should reflect what was played live, in its entirety. I have no explanation, just thought I would raise the issue for anyone who was interested.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

But HOF show was not for profit--performers are not paid to perform to the best of my knowledge--whereas selling an album or live show is for profit. Although it's tricky because you don't pay royalties for covering a song during a live performance, but maybe you do if the live performance is then sold. I really don't have the answer.

ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »

Shame there was no bonus or unreleased material on this.

I hate double or treble albums with live stuff - sooo lazy. Stick on some studio out-takes, rehearsal stuff, demos - anything for the fans. Not just live stuff.

Black Sabbath got it pretty much bang on when they re-released their catalogue.

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: