Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227812 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2013 Season
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2013 Season  (Read 43311 times)
sandman
Legend

« on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »

We're past due for a new NFL thread.

Draft tonight! looking forward to it. Love that they do the 1st round prime time thursday night.

Eagles have the 4th pick. i hope they find a way to trade down and pick up an extra pick or 2.

interesting to see where Geno Smith goes. i don't think he will be a good QB, and in most years he would be a 2nd - 4th round selection, but this is an extremely weak-looking draft class, so he could easily end up being drafted within the first 4 picks. but it could get ugly if he's not, cause he could slide way down if he doesn't go early.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »

I hear ya on Smith.  4th round may be a bit severe though.  Maybe 2nd or 3rd round other years?
I'm thinking he goes early 1st round even if he slips out of the top 10...but I just think teams are SOOO desperate for quarterbacks, someone will bite.
EJ Manuel, Barkley, and Nassib will all be drafted before the end of the 2nd round. (I think?)

I just hope my Vikes don't trade up.  I'd be cool with a trade down though.  I'm so psyched.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »

WOW!  How the hell did the Vikings get Sharif Floyd, an awesome DB, and Patterson?  I normally don't like unloading a lot of picks, but I think we got the better of Bill B. up in N'England!  Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »

WOW!  How the hell did the Vikings get Sharif Floyd, an awesome DB, and Patterson?  I normally don't like unloading a lot of picks, but I think we got the better of Bill B. up in N'England!  Smiley
I'll be keeping a close eye on Patterson, to gauge how good/bad that trade turns out to be.  Not to mention what the Pats do with the 3 picks they acquired and all the other players that are picked before they make their first selection.  Pretty hard to say who makes out better on draft day deals.  I do like the fact that New England was able to come away with 8 picks including 2 seconds, 2 thirds, and a fourth when they started the day with only 5 overall picks.  So that's a good thing.  However, if Patterson ends up being a stud and they don't hit with some of their picks, that completely changes things.

Very aggressive moves by the Vikes though.  Have to like the prospects of coming away with 3 first rounders.  For your sake, hopefully they prove the "experts" wrong who were calling this among the weakest drafts in a long time.  If that ends up being the case, 3 first rounders may not look as attractive.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:02:45 AM »

What can you guys tell me about the Jets first round picks? I see they immediately moved to replace Revis with a CB and also picked up another defensive player.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »

I hear ya on Smith.  4th round may be a bit severe though.  Maybe 2nd or 3rd round other years?
I'm thinking he goes early 1st round even if he slips out of the top 10...but I just think teams are SOOO desperate for quarterbacks, someone will bite.
EJ Manuel, Barkley, and Nassib will all be drafted before the end of the 2nd round. (I think?)

I just hope my Vikes don't trade up.  I'd be cool with a trade down though.  I'm so psyched.   beer

Vikings had a great 1st round. surprised Floyd dropped that far. and i like taking the best available players - their D is gonna be improved. they needed a WR really bad, but i'm not sure patterson is the answer. i didn't like that move. they gave up ALOT for someone that is a bit of a project - shocked they gave up a 2, a 3, AND a 4 (not to mention a 7). and they gave one of the best drafting teams (Billy B and the Pats) the extra picks they were dying to acquire. but if he turns out to be a legitimate starting WR, it will have been worth it.

As for Geno Smith, he'll be a 2nd round pick in a very weak draft with no great QB prospects. last year, i believe he would have been a 4th rounder - i think Cousins may have projected better than Smith and he went in the 4th. in 2011 and most years, Smith would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

i like the Eagles pick alot. i'm glad the Dolphins took Jordan, which i think was a huge mistake for them. Gruden didn't like the pick so you know it has to be risky - first time ever as a commentator that Gruden didn't love something.   

sandman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »

What can you guys tell me about the Jets first round picks? I see they immediately moved to replace Revis with a CB and also picked up another defensive player.

Milliner was the top DB in the draft. awesome pick. i think he coud turn out to be one of the best in the draft. although he's gonna have alot of pressure on him in NY and will always be compared to Revis, as unfair as that is.

i'm not familiar with Richardson. there were other DL on the board that had slipped that they could have grabbed there. this is a risky pick.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »

The Millner pick sounds very interesting then. I'm hearing today the Jets are looking to move up from 39 to get a quarterback.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »

Ok so the Jets have taken Geno Smith with pick 39. Someone please tell me he has more potential then Sanchez or Tebow.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »

Ok so the Jets have taken Geno Smith with pick 39. Someone please tell me he has more potential then Sanchez or Tebow.
He was nasty at West Virginia, but who knows if that will translate to the pro game.  Tebow was pretty darn good at Florida remember and Sanchez wasn't too bad at USC either. 

A lot of people had Smith rated as the best overall player in the draft, or at least one of the top prospects.  And rookie QB's have done better in recent years, so it's entirely possible he could be a GREAT pick.  Could be the steal of the draft.  Of course, he could also turn out to be a complete bust.  You just never know.  However, the Jets were supposedly considering taking him in the 1st, so it's a great value pick in the 2nd at the very least.  Only time will tell.  The DT they took was puzzling to many.  He's a good player, but it didn't seem to be a position of need for the Jets.  They have about as many holes on offense as you could imagine.  But whatever, you can never have enough good defensive players I guess.  They need to do something on offense though. 

Haven't had time to fully digest the draft.  I'm a bit underwhelmed with the Patriots picks, but who knows.  Hopefully the WR's they picked up pan out.  They addressed their needs, which is good.  We'll see if the players they drafted effectively fit those needs.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:27:13 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »

What about the RB they traded for? I hear he's good but injury prone. I believe they took one or two offensive line players too.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »

What about the RB they traded for? I hear he's good but injury prone. I believe they took one or two offensive line players too.
Chris Ivory, from the Saints.  He was pretty productive when he played.  Didn't really get much of a chance though.  I know he was injured a bit, but it also seemed as if the Saints didn't completely trust him for whatever reason.  Could be a case of a change of scenery bringing out the best in a player.  Or, the Saints were onto something.  They did draft 3 OL in the middle to late rounds.  Not too familiar with any of them, but I'm assuming they needed help on the line and they should provide depth at the very least.

Jets released Tebow today, in a completely unshocking move.  A worse experiment I cannot think of and it seemed that everyone knew it from the start except for the Jets.  It was clear once the Jets drafted Geno Smith, something had to be done.  Smith in an interesting prospect, but I'm not sure the Jets are the best option for him due to the lack of options on offense.  He really has nothing to work with there.  Might as well let him develop behind Sanchez until they turn things around a bit.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »

I saw the Tebow release coming a mile away. I think there's a good chance Sanchez could be next. The reason i think that is if they do it by June 1st the cap hit isn't as terrible as if they do it after. You're right though Smith doesn't have much to work with on offense which could hurt his development or at least make him look worse then he is until they can get some better offensive options for him.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »

It appears the Pats could be without Gronk for awhile. He needs another surgery on his forearm and now might need back surgery for a bulging disc.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »

It appears the Pats could be without Gronk for awhile. He needs another surgery on his forearm and now might need back surgery for a bulging disc.

I'm sorry but I've gotta say it...what a fucking moron.  Wasn't this the same guy who was out partying, drinking, and body-slamming friends around whilst recuperating?
So talented, yet so stupid.
Oh well.  Hopefully Aaron Hernandez takes care of himself.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 12:35:19 AM »

I'm sorry but I've gotta say it...what a fucking moron.  Wasn't this the same guy who was out partying, drinking, and body-slamming friends around whilst recuperating?

While his off field antics can't necessarily be linked to either of these injuries, I can certainly see that line of thinking.  But honestly, there's no way you can say he's having back surgery or a 4th surgery due to an infection in his forearm because he playfully suplexed some guy at a party. 

Regardless, some reports are saying that the back surgery shouldn't set him back any further and he should still be ready for training camp.  However, if he has back surgery he may not be able to work out at a level that would put him in game shape to start the season.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him sit the first few weeks.  Even put him on the PUP list.  The guy has had his share of injuries ON THE FIELD the last few years.  If he can only play 10 games a year, I'd rather have them be the last 10, than the first 10.

Oh, and Aaron Hernandez is banged up too, despite him "taking care of himself" better than Gronk.  He too, hasn't been able to stay on the field during his career.  And Julian Edelman is hurt as well.  So I'm sure Tom Brady is thrilled that the only 3 familiar faces in his receiving corps will all be rehabbing in some way as the season nears.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »

While his off field antics can't necessarily be linked to either of these injuries, I can certainly see that line of thinking.  But honestly, there's no way you can say he's having back surgery or a 4th surgery due to an infection in his forearm because he playfully suplexed some guy at a party. 

Regardless, some reports are saying that the back surgery shouldn't set him back any further and he should still be ready for training camp.  However, if he has back surgery he may not be able to work out at a level that would put him in game shape to start the season.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him sit the first few weeks.  Even put him on the PUP list.  The guy has had his share of injuries ON THE FIELD the last few years.  If he can only play 10 games a year, I'd rather have them be the last 10, than the first 10.

Oh, and Aaron Hernandez is banged up too, despite him "taking care of himself" better than Gronk.  He too, hasn't been able to stay on the field during his career.  And Julian Edelman is hurt as well.  So I'm sure Tom Brady is thrilled that the only 3 familiar faces in his receiving corps will all be rehabbing in some way as the season nears.
Could be a bumpy start to the season for the Pats.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

The fact remains that Rob Gronkowski has dealt with injuries for years.  That's why he slipped in the draft and the Patriots were able to trade up in the 2nd round to take him.  He missed his entire junior year due to back surgery.  They say the disc in his back that's giving him problems now is unrelated to his previous back issues, but the injuries are mounting.  He's a big guy who doesn't shy away from contact on the field.  His aggressive style of play is conducive to the possibility of getting injured.  It's hard for a guy to change the way he plays in such a drastic sense.  But I think that is the reason for him missing so many games over the last 2 years.  Not his off field activities.  That's a convenient excuse, to point to, but it really doesn't hold any water.  He's a young guy, likes to have fun, loves to play football with reckless abandonment.  But as good as he and Aaron Hernandez are, they get hurt.  It happens.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

The Giants and Victor Cruz still haven't reached a deal.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »

The fact remains that Rob Gronkowski has dealt with injuries for years.  That's why he slipped in the draft and the Patriots were able to trade up in the 2nd round to take him.  He missed his entire junior year due to back surgery.  They say the disc in his back that's giving him problems now is unrelated to his previous back issues, but the injuries are mounting.  He's a big guy who doesn't shy away from contact on the field.  His aggressive style of play is conducive to the possibility of getting injured.  It's hard for a guy to change the way he plays in such a drastic sense.  But I think that is the reason for him missing so many games over the last 2 years.  Not his off field activities.  That's a convenient excuse, to point to, but it really doesn't hold any water.  He's a young guy, likes to have fun, loves to play football with reckless abandonment.  But as good as he and Aaron Hernandez are, they get hurt.  It happens.

I hear ya.  It's just frustrating to watch guys do dumb things.  I am biased because I've never been a "club" guy. 
If I was an NFL talent I'd sure as hell be nowhere near a club.
I'd have nutritionally perfected meals.  I'd have structured workouts designed by experts to ensure I am decreasing my risk of injury (which this guy has had throughout his collegiate and NFL career).
Has he been doing everything in his power to toe the line with responsible activities?  the best nutrition??  Both are heavy influences on predisposition to injury.  Then again, he could be doing all the right things but just have a genetic predisposition to "Chris Chandler Syndrome." (a.k.a. Crystal Chandelier)  Smiley
I don't know the answer, but something tells me he's not living like Tony Gonzales.  Gronk will be lucky to play half the years Gonzo's played. 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: