Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 07:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227976 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Where do we go now
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where do we go now  (Read 109932 times)
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »

Speaking for myself, I have to say I was absolutely thrilled when Chinese was released. I enjoyed, and still enjoy listening to the tracks on that disc. I'd go as far to say it is my favourite album of all time.

I am also very keen to hear new music from my favourite band. I'll admit that if that isn't goin to happen in the near future I would be stoked for Guns to tell us what their plans are, or that they are unable to release an album at this point because of X or Y.

Again, speaking on my own behalf, I think I am so keen to hear new stuff because we know that so much was recorded during the Chinese sessions. Admittedly we have no idea as to the state of completion of these other unreleased tracks, but I hope you can see my point.

At the end of the day, Guns music for me is something to get really excited about and I would love to get excited again about a new Guns release.

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »

I can only speak for myself and I say unequivocally yes! I would be very happy to hear Axl say he wants to release more music again. Because right now it is not clear at all that he wants to. He doesn't seem excited about new music at all.

He hasn't said that, it's your impression.

No, it has to do with the band demonstrating a desire to actually be creative and not just continue to tour. We are talking about the difference between becoming a nostalgia act and trying to remain relevant. You might dismiss this as "us wanted to be patted on the back", I believe you are grossly misrepresenting my point to make it easy to ridicule.

I'm sorry, I don't buy it. To me, there's not only black or white.
Let me get this straight. The only way to not be a nostalgia act is to release music? Did I understand that way of thinking right? Even if you then go out to play shows and play your old hits with one or to new songs?
Or if all of your albums sound the same. That's being relevant? I just don't buy that....

He obviously focused on the tour, and that isn't bad. But he also managed to both tour AND talk about the future in 2002 and 2006. Why is that different now? Again, this suggests a change in Axl that is disconcerting.

And I'm saying, maybe the experience that followed those years made him more cautions.
Knowing things now that you didn't back then could affect anybody. There's not one quote where he says he lost hope in releasing new music. Yet some are acting like he did because he didn't say the opposite.

I'm aware that I'm different. I don't have that kind of "relationship" with the artists I enjoy listening to. I don't assume they don't want to release new music unless they tell me otherwise.

I am saying that the excitement surrounding the band among the fan base dwindles for each unenthusiastic comment from Axl. And yes, keeping our interest for GN'R requires that we believe the band wants to continue to create and release music, and if that is the case, then this is excellently conveyed through talking to us. So yes, talking IS the answer to allaying our fears. I am repeating myself, but the frustration grows from uncertainty, and this uncertainty can be dispelled through some proper communication.

And I just don't get why people would assume there's no interest in creating new music. You take one interview with Chris and suddenly it's the absolute final word and truth. While other band members talking about writing songs is just dismissed as uninformed repeating of lies. It's amazing how selective people are.

And that is fine. The problem now sticks deeper, though, because it isn't about WHEN they will eventually announce a release data but IF they will announce a release data, which again stems from this seemingly shift in Axl's attitude towards the future.

Once again, you're assuming the worst. It's nothing new for some GN'R fans. If it isn't about an album never coming out, it's a tour being canceled, or riots or whatever.
We've seen all these doom and gloom prophets ever since the message boards started popping up. And even before with Usenet..

In short, some people want to be told the band plans to do something in the future. Otherwise they'll automatically assume they won't. Because Chris mentioned not being in a hurry to release new music. Or whatever reason they might use.

I wonder how many of those people assumed GN'R would never play live again because there were no updates about wanting to play live in 2005.... For example. And then in 2006 and 2007, they toured! And 2009... 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013...

I would be stoked for Guns to tell us what their plans are, or that they are unable to release an album at this point because of X or Y.

Hypothetically speaking, if they mentioned that kind of reasons, do you think you'd be happy with it? What would you think of those so called frustrated fans who would just say "another update with stupid reasons"?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
scans n' copies
Headliner

I still say "OK, nevermind" when I hear s.o.d.

« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »

I don't have much of a reason to chime in cuz Soul Monster seems to be sharing my brain on most of this communication stuff.

But I just wanted to say that I, too, would LOVE to see Axl (or anybody involved) tweet or post anything like the example you gave, Jarmo.  Even if plans fall through, it's nice to know they're trying to do something.  Why do you think there is such a mix of skepticism and optimism when a band member speaks about something?  Because we don't ever hear ANYTHING official so we are just left to these forums to talk about it and try to figure out what's going on with our favorite band. 

Enjoying this thread.  Well played.

We finally got a U.S. tour!!!!!!!!!!!
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

A lot of the "negativity" surrounding GN'R comes down to the success they had in their heyday, and the expectations it would continue.
Going from 5 releases in 6 years, taking the world by storm, in the same conversation as rock gods like the Rolling Stones and then to have that all flushed down the toilet, in the middle of what many considered their prime was a bit hard to swallow for many GN'R fans.

Then you take into account the (right or wrong) perception that Axl was the odd man out, the one guy who couldn't go along to get along, as evidenced by ex-member accounts, the Project, VR etc, and people wanted to believe that Axl must have had some big plans, vision, if he was really serious about continuing on with the GN'R moniker without the other members responsible for it's success.

Flash forward 20 years, and only one album has been released, and the latest update from the band is that there is no update. Surely this could not have been Axl's vision of GN'R, unless he has a very warped sense of humor.

Granted life doesn't often go according to plan, but GN'R has trended downward over the last 20 years, rebounded with it's lone release, and since become stagnant.
Sure there have been plenty of positive moments along the way, but it's not hard to see why many fans would find the trajectory of GN'Rs career post UYI disappointing.

Axl trudged on with the heavy GN'R name, and unfortunately as a result many of his fans haven't been able to let go of the expectations that come along with it.
Interest is there, which I guess is a blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it.

I myself separated this incarnation long ago from the era of Guns I grew up on. I believe this is the cure all. My expectations of this incarnation are I have no expectations.
If anythings ever released, and I enjoy it, fantastic. In the meantime, I'll periodically check for updates, and follow the countless projects of the very much active ex-members.

I agree with this. I'm also going to say that Slash has released two pretty good albums within the last 3 years. He communicates with fans via Facebook. I just don't get why Axl can't do the same.  What is the holdup regarding a new album with this lineup? Why is there such a negative attitude towards the fans wanting or even talking about new music? As a fan of Axl, it does get frustrating. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »

It was only a few weeks ago that we had an update... I bolded the part which some should pay close attention to.

gunsnroses: Generally speaking, we have no information on tours, albums, or DVDs. When things get confirmed we'll let you know. Thanks for your patience

Think about what that means for a second or two. Does it sound like there's no plans for any of the mentioned things? To me it doesn't. Maybe it's my English...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »

It was only a few weeks ago that we had an update... I bolded the part which some should pay close attention to.

gunsnroses: Generally speaking, we have no information on tours, albums, or DVDs. When things get confirmed we'll let you know. Thanks for your patience

Think about what that means for a second or two. Does it sound like there's no plans for any of the mentioned things? To me it doesn't. Maybe it's my English...

/jarmo

How is that so, though? I mean, it's their albums, dvd's, tours. Surely they'd have some idea.

I'm happy to sit back and live my life until something happens, as much as I would love to hear/see something new, but I can understand the frustration caused by this "Update" to a certain extent.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2013, 03:42:39 AM »

/jarmo

How is that so, though? I mean, it's their albums, dvd's, tours. Surely they'd have some idea.

I'm happy to sit back and live my life until something happens, as much as I would love to hear/see something new, but I can understand the frustration caused by this "Update" to a certain extent.

peace
I have to agree to be fair, we know the band have always had good intentions. But these "plans" have been going on for years and months now, it's only a natural fan reaction to get "frustrated" by the lack of progress in these very plans. In my opinion if someone doesn't get these feelings which come subconsciously when you love something so much, then you can't be a true fan. Because like a football team, it's your job as a fan to enjoy the highs, as well as shouting at them for "sucking" or not performing as well as you expected and hoped for.
Soul Monster
Headliner

« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:47 AM »

Well, Jarmo and I have been going a bit in circles now. I hope my message is clear: some of the frustration among the fans stem from an observed change in Axl regarding the future and this could easily be dispelled by him telling us what his long terms plans are now, like he did prior to CD. He might just be more cautious now and hence reluctant to share his thoughts with us, but he might also have lost the enthusiasm for the future. I hope and believe the former, but it is what it is and it does lead to frustration and fans acting and lashing out. We will know later.

On a very positive note: Fernando has been chatting with us and he tells us news will soon be available and that "it will all be ok". I hope he will continue to chat with us. We are on the same side here.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2013, 05:10:39 AM »

Because like a football team, it's your job as a fan to enjoy the highs, as well as shouting at them for "sucking" or not performing as well as you expected and hoped for.

Maybe instead of yelling at the band, you should look at your expectations?

So many people get frustrated because GN'R isn't like band X or band Y. In reality, GN'R has never been like any other band! Which is why we love them.

I'm aware that in this day and age, some people get frustrated that one of the bands they listen to isn't like the others. With all the social media and things like that, maybe people get used to certain things and that's the "norm". When somebody doesn't do that, they're "not communicating" or "don't care about their fans". Unfortunate....

/jarmo

el_loko
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2013, 05:50:00 AM »

GN'R has never been like any other band! Which is why we love them.

Yes, everybody loves GNR because they can't release album in 14 years...
team-axl
Headliner

« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »

Do you think it was axl's plan not to release an album for that long ? Do you think axl as an artist wanted to take so long to record and release a new album ? Surely you can't believe that...

All the info is out there, so people should know better.

btw jarmo sorry if this isn't the time or place to ask you this or if you've answered this in the past, but have you ever heard anything music-wise we haven't ? And in your own personal opinion, what misconceptions do people have regarding how long axl took to release ChD and about his future intentions?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:17:35 AM by team-axl » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:50 AM »

I don't know about you, but I love the band for the music they release.
Maybe you don't like them for the music they don't release when you want them to. That's your problem, not the band's.

/jarmo

Cuzon
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »

Seriously the amount of defending and the lengths Jarmo goes to defend Axl and management is laughable at best and downright worrying at worst. GnR can do no wrong in Jarmo's mind and have never done wrong ever! What a joke. I hope all the kickbacks and touring perks make up for your clouded conscience.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »

Cuzon -

If you believe that Jarmo's views are disingenuous, influenced by outside factors, etc, why don't you attack his arguments instead of attacking him? After all, if his views are as laughable as you claim, shouldn't it be easy to counter his points?

But the fact that you instead ignore his positions in favor of attacking him personally indicates to me that you know his arguments are logical and sound.

And perhaps that frustrates you.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »

Seriously the amount of defending and the lengths Jarmo goes to defend Axl and management is laughable at best and downright worrying at worst. GnR can do no wrong in Jarmo's mind and have never done wrong ever! What a joke. I hope all the kickbacks and touring perks make up for your clouded conscience.

I appreciate your concern.

Got no issues with my conscience. It's clear... Defending is your choice of word, understanding would be another word expressing the same exact thing.

Some base their opinion on a person on what they read, others on how that person manages to fulfill their needs. Some don't. Different points of view. Simple as that.

Smiley

/jarmo

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »

Because like a football team, it's your job as a fan to enjoy the highs, as well as shouting at them for "sucking" or not performing as well as you expected and hoped for.

So many people get frustrated because GN'R isn't like band X or band Y. In reality, GN'R has never been like any other band! Which is why we love them.

I'm aware that in this day and age, some people get frustrated that one of the bands they listen to isn't like the others. With all the social media and things like that, maybe people get used to certain things and that's the "norm". When somebody doesn't do that, they're "not communicating" or "don't care about their fans". Unfortunate....

/jarmo

Look at our expectations?, the band has released 1 album of new material since 1991. We've had countless of official "media' pulled or cancelled like the 2006 Axl Rose Documentary, the London 02 cinema release, the interviews with band members that was promised in late 2006, The 3D Vegas DVD etc. On top of this include various band members contradicting each other year after year saying "we're writing songs everyday", "a new album won't be as long as CD took", "the band have not sat in a room together to write yet", or "Axl has some killer ideas, the new album is going to be amazing". So how you can sit there and say that we need to look at our expectations, is beyond belief. You make it sound like an emotion like feeling let down, or dissapointment are feelings we are not allowed when it comes to anything GN'R. Believe me, I'm a hardcore fan who follows the band everywhere, and I've felt these emotions many times, it's not wrong either, it's healthy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:08:16 AM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »

Look at our expectations?,

Yes, simple logic. If the band hasn't released albums according to your expected schedule, maybe your expected schedule needs adjustment.

We've had countless of official "media' pulled or cancelled like the 2006 Axl Rose Documentary,

That had a announced release date?

the London 02 cinema release,

That whole thing was fishy. Which is why I wouldn't blame the band for it.

The 3D Vegas DVD etc.

When was this definitely canceled?

On top of this include various band members contradicting each other year after year saying "we're writing songs everyday", "a new album won't be as long as CD took", "the band have not sat in a room together to write yet", or "Axl has some killer ideas, the new album is going to be amazing". So how you can sit there and say that we need to look at our expectations, is beyond belief.

They're not contradicting each other.
How can it be contradicting when one guy says he has written songs and another says they haven't written together. Both can be true!

Yes, I still believe maybe you need to adjust your expectations if you believe that just because there's cameras present it automatically means it's gonna be released. Are you still waiting for that Use Your Illusion documentary? Kidding, kidding. Wink

You make it sound like an emotion like feeling let down, or dissapointment are feelings we are not allowed when it comes to anything GN'R. Belief me, I'm a hardcore fan who follows the band everywhere, and I've felt these emotions many times, it's not wrong either, it's healthy.

You can feel let down as much as you want. Of course.

I just personally think it's a shame some use the wish to hear new music as something bad. They want to hear new music, so when the band doesn't give it to them, they start hating the band for it. That's bad.
If you feel that's a good thing, I'm sorry but I don't agree.

/jarmo

maynard
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »

Jarmo, you're unbelieveable.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »

Jarmo, you're unbelieveable.

He is....lol.... he will never concede anything....

but can you blame him? I dont... he has personal relationships with  these people...

hes not a fan of the music at this point...his relationship or whatever you want to call it with "Guns n Roses" is more than that ... so he will spin it in the brightest light till the cows come home

where as the most of us see the faults...he doesnt or doesnt want to... thats his perrogative

respect to Jarmo for his nobleness tho !

at the end of the day i enjoy reading the differing opinions on a subject of interest to me even tho some of them make my shake my head ...we are all entitled!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

/jarmo

Look at our expectations?, the band has released 1 album of new material since 1991. We've had countless of official "media' pulled or cancelled like the 2006 Axl Rose Documentary, the London 02 cinema release, the interviews with band members that was promised in late 2006, The 3D Vegas DVD etc. On top of this include various band members contradicting each other year after year saying "we're writing songs everyday", "a new album won't be as long as CD took", "the band have not sat in a room together to write yet", or "Axl has some killer ideas, the new album is going to be amazing". So how you can sit there and say that we need to look at our expectations, is beyond belief. You make it sound like an emotion like feeling let down, or dissapointment are feelings we are not allowed when it comes to anything GN'R. Believe me, I'm a hardcore fan who follows the band everywhere, and I've felt these emotions many times, it's not wrong either, it's healthy.

One in a million....ive always known you as one of the more loyal post Illusion era GNR posters.... so when you say this I think it should speak volumes...and I agree with you....

I wasnt expecting new news to come so quickly after the last leg of shows ended.... but for once i wish we were all pleasantly surprised with something sooner rather than alter

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: