Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  I think this would be cool for Axl to do...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think this would be cool for Axl to do...  (Read 2828 times)
FootSoldier
Headliner

Crawls Through Your Veins Like Millions of Spiders

« on: August 09, 2013, 01:25:28 AM »

If for some reason in the future Axl ever decides to disband GNR I would hope that in some way he would continue making music. I would really love to see him branch out and use a different side of his talent much like Robert Plant has done in the decades since Led Zeppelin. I can very much imagine how awesome a more mellow album from Axl would be, a lot of piano, cello, double bass and less of an emphasis on his falsetto voice.

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone know if this is something Axl has ever considered even early in his career? Was solo work ever something he contemplated?

---GNR---
Melbourne, Australia - 15 & 16 June  2007
Adelaide, Australia - 07 December  2010
Las Vegas, USA -  09 & 10 November  2012
Melbourne, Australia - 16 & 17 March 2013
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:47 AM »

He could try, but i don't think he has the right skills to do this kind of things. His voice is more "screaming" oriented  Smiley, and out of his scratchy falsetto he doesn't have a very expressive or emotional kind of voice (yep, he has a deep one, but it's far from being "expressive" ). You can't compare him to plant, shannon hoon, or cash, for example... Too different kind of voices.

I think a "solo career" could actually work well in industrial music, more than blues or something like plant did.
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »

Definitely would be cool. Something more mellow, maybe even a country album! Smiley

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »

It would be cool but I don't think Axl cares to do this unfortunately.  Can't even get him to try and release the material thats been in a vault for 15 years.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »

Yes, if Axl plays his cards right, he can go down in music history as a singer/songwriter, he can become a modern day outlaw/"cowboy" poet in the vein of Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joel, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Waylon, Willie Nelson, Bob Seger, etc. These men were outlaws and musical renegades. Always cool. Always respected for their musical integrity and purity. They grew better with age. They were raw, honest, pure, and originals. They "aged gracefully" and let their music stand for itself. Axl has the potential to become one of these "modern day drifters," a lonely singer and misunderstood musical genius. He can't be afraid of a rough, rugged look, and stripped down acoustic and/or piano music. He needs to just start pumping out tons of music and keep touring. He is a living legend.
Personally, I think Axl should produce an honest, stripped down, organic record. Something in the singer/songwriter format in the tradition of Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Ben Harper, and Jack Johnson vein. It would  be brilliant. He could throw in some covers, too. With his vocal gift and song writing abilities; I think it would be amazing. Maybe he could produce a few songs with just him and a piano and the rest would be acoustic guitar songs. He should produce an album that is stripped down, similar to Willie Nelson's Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain. He could use his lower, more melodic voice and mix it with subtle touches of his raspy, gravely voice and just try backing off some of the banshee notes for a change. Axl could really show off his "talking voice" and let the song jump out more instead of being lost in his amazing vocal range, he would lean more on the simple melody of the song and his profound lyrics instead of his high notes.
 Just a thought.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »

He could try, but i don't think he has the right skills to do this kind of things. His voice is more "screaming" oriented  Smiley, and out of his scratchy falsetto he doesn't have a very expressive or emotional kind of voice (yep, he has a deep one, but it's far from being "expressive" ). You can't compare him to plant, shannon hoon, or cash, for example... Too different kind of voices.

I think a "solo career" could actually work well in industrial music, more than blues or something like plant did.

His voice is expressive/emotional. It's not just mindless screaming. Estranged, There Was a Time, so many more examples. 
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »

I'd love to hear a solo acoustic, or piano based album from Axl.
Think it could better preserve, suit his voice at this stage of his career.
He probably wouldn't have half the roadblocks the GN'R name brings these days.

I'm a sucker for the acoustic tours Cornell and Lanegan have been on of late.
Could be amazing to see Axl in a similar small theatre setting.

I've caught enough of the 14 year Chinese Democracy tour.
A change of pace would be great.
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »

For sure Axl is talented enough to release any kind of album he wants, but he will never release a solo album as such. With no disrespect to Dizzy, Tommy, Richard, Chris, Bumble, Frank and DJ Guns N' Roses is Axl's solo vechile if that makes sense. If Axl had any desire to make a solo album or go solo he wouldn't have worked so hard to own the GNR brand/copyright.

With the exception of Dizzy whos not quite an original band member, Guns is Axl's project and he has 100% control. He can do what he wants with musicians hes already hand picked and release it under the GNR name. Why would he go solo now?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: