Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:37:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Leaks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leaks  (Read 11134 times)
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« on: August 22, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

I understand not allowing any of the leaks or links to, on the site, but why are we not talking about them?
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »

Or the Del James interview...

(unless I missed it).

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »

Because essentially what you're talking about is something that originates with somebody stealing from the band.
The subject wouldn't exist if people didn't take what's not theirs and make it public.

You can spin it all you want. "We do it because we love the band" etc. That's fine.
Does it mean that because you can't have a car today, you can steal it? You love Ferrari, so "I love Ferrari" is a good enough reason to steal one?

I've been labeled a hypocrite because some claim that I have all these unreleased tracks and don't allow people to talk about them. That's just pure bullshit made up by uninformed attention seekers.

Also, I don't know how somebody stealing from the band and putting it online is "helping the band". So instead of buying a song whenever it's released, you heard it for free. That's helping the band? "It creates buzz for the band". Sure, for a moment it does. Then it's gone again. The buzz is gone but everybody heard the song(s) for free.

When Chinese Democracy came out, some had already heard the songs for free. Some even had the nerve to complain that they had already heard a majority of the album...

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:04:31 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »

"The subject wouldn't exist if people didn't take what's not theirs and make it public."

sure, but well, now it happened, we can't go back in time, right.
so now the subject exists, even if we didn't want it to exist.

""It creates buzz for the band". Sure, for a moment it does. Then it's gone again."

that's why maybe it's a good opportunity to release something, to take advantage of that buzz.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

In addition, it creates a bunch of people trying to request tracks without saying it out loud.

People try to validate it in all kinds of ways. The publicity, the buzz and so on.
Haven't we learned anything from the past?

Radio stations playing leaked tracks in the past, then once the album was out, they ignored the same tracks.
People downloading leaks for free and then complaining they already had heard most of the album.

A good opportunity to release something? So you're saying, GN'R should release something because of a thief? It's not up to those people to decide when is a good time for GN'R, or any other artist, to release something. That's up to others to decide, not people with a Robin Hood complex.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »

I don't agree with music theft at all but I can understand what DeN is saying in terms of GN'R jumping on this now and being proactive about it. As the saying goes "Any publicity is good publicity". I think it would be somewhat wise for Guns to now release one of these tracks as a single or part of an E.P while the buzz is around these new songs. Strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

Yes, I totally understand that idea.

But, we're not talking about a single leaking a week before its scheduled premiere.

/jarmo

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

Yes, I totally understand that idea.

But, we're not talking about a single leaking a week before its scheduled premiere.

/jarmo

Of course not. But with places like iTunes and all that other stuff now, it's a lot easier to quickly release a single/E.P than it once was.

All these "ifs"!!! It's frustrating being a GN'R fan sometimes. Haha.

But seriously, piracy has ruined the music industry for the artists which is ruining it for the fans. It's very ironic since it's the fans who steal music of their favourite musicians who then feel releasing music is redundant therefore slow down the output of material they release or just stop all together.

I am finding a lot more people now have taken a moral stance on music theft then there used to be, but probably not enough to save the industry, unfortunately.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »

On a personal note, even though I had heaps of youtube videos downloaded & burnt onto disc which means I have many copies of their songs from different concerts I still went out & bought their cd's - 3 of them, ChinDem, Greatest Hits & Live Era.

As dated as the Greatest Hits now is I still enjoy listening to it, if they sing any new material at a concert & I download it to watch I'm still going to buy their album when it comes out. Then again maybe it's because I'm not up with itunes or ipods etc & still play 'old fashioned' cds.

Jarmo what would happen now that the words seem to be online, if someone recorded a song with those lyrics to their own tune before Guns got their song released? Is it still under copyright to avoid anyone being able to do this?
NickyGNR
Opening Act

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »

Radio stations playing leaked tracks in the past, then once the album was out, they ignored the same tracks.
Can you blame them?

Axl & Co. sent their lawyers after my local station for playing "Better" when it first leaked, and then they had the nerve to release it as a single two years later(!) and expect the same stations to promote it for them!  hihi
Chris Misfit
Opening Act

Here Today...Drunk Today!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:41 PM »

But seriously, piracy has ruined the music industry for the artists which is ruining it for the fans. It's very ironic since it's the fans who steal music of their favourite musicians who then feel releasing music is redundant therefore slow down the output of material they release or just stop all together.

I am finding a lot more people now have taken a moral stance on music theft then there used to be, but probably not enough to save the industry, unfortunately.

peace

Fuck a duck.

Piracy has ruined the industry?

No. The greed shown by the companies with their finger on the pulse has destroyed it. Show me an act that makes money off albums, that isn't U2 (or the like) , and I'll eat my hat. If the music industry was ran by the people who feel it close to their hearts and not lawyers and arseholes in suits, we'd have a healthier industry, a vibrant one, but what we have is a monopolized mess . I knew long before "downloading" was an issue that the industry was fucked. They can sell people fucking Eminem as a bad boy rapper, they could sell eskimos snow, but people wake up. They've been selling the same fucking acts for 20 years now, same shit over and over, they're fucking dinosaurs, old men in suits telling young people who and what they should listen to. Not for me.

Anyway Steve Albini's "The problem with the music industry" is well worth reading.

http://www.negativland.com/news/?page_id=17

Off topic a bit.

Wait! is it 2003?

Where's Jim?
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »

On a personal note, even though I had heaps of youtube videos downloaded & burnt onto disc which means I have many copies of their songs from different concerts I still went out & bought their cd's - 3 of them, ChinDem, Greatest Hits & Live Era.

As dated as the Greatest Hits now is I still enjoy listening to it

Hi Dolphins.

I love the new band and Chinese Democracy is a great album. But Greatest Hits barely scratches the surface of Guns catalogue of great songs. Live Era is great but got messed with to much. Re-recorded vocals on some tracks, removing Gilby's guitar parts on Rocket Queen and Estranged spring to mind. You should really get Appetite, Lies and Illusions 1 and 2. Even The Spaghetti Incident is worth getting.

Live Era is great to have but most fans would tell you that any good quality bootleg has better versions of every song on that album.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: