Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227756 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  What's your ideal "new" GNR lineup?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your ideal "new" GNR lineup?  (Read 7133 times)
IRanOutOfIdeas
Opening Act

« on: November 29, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

Greetings!

This is my first actual post on this forum (I did read through the Dead Horse section before posting this), but this is a topic I've been wanting both to get off my chest and collect other's opinions on for quite a long time.

First and foremost, allow me to point out that I am an "old" (87-93) GNR sympathizer. I'm always going to think that the lineups within this time period were the best that GNR ever had and their sound is irreplaceable. That's my opinion and nothing will change that. But at the same time, I'm a realist. A reunion with any of the lineups from 87-93 will most likely never happen and the closest we'll ever get is Axl bringing Izzy out every now and then for a few shows. As such, it's useless to be stuck in the past. You gotta embrace what's given to you.

My opinion on new (97-present) GNR has fluctuated wildly with time. Initially, I was an ignorant old sympathizer who turned a blind and angry eye to any mention of new GNR. But, that changed when I decided to watch GNR's performance at the 2006 Download Festival. To say the very least, I was blown away. The band was powerful and Axl was in fine form. Most importantly, the band had forged a new identity for itself, one that kicked a lot of ass.

But naturally, time goes on. Chinese Democracy was released and quite honestly I'm not too much of a fan of it. For me, there are some songs that rank as GNR's best (I.e. "Better" or "Catcher in the Rye"), but for the most part, I believe the album is just a thick mess of sound. Also, the lineup changed with the departure of Robin Finck/Brain Mantia for DJ Ashba/Frank Ferrer and this lineup has remained static ever sense.

Ever since 1997, a volley of musicians have come and gone through the GNR camp, each bringing a variety of different perks that have helped create a new sound for the band. So my question for you all is this: If you could take any of the players from 1997 to present day and create your ideal lineup, who would they be and why? Do you prefer the 2001 incarnation of GNR? Do you think that the current lineup is the best they've ever had? Do you think that their best lineup would a combination of both past and current players? I really want to hear your opinion on this!

And for the record, here's mine (With opinions on the current lineup too):

I have my own opinions on what new GNR should be. At the core, I'm always going to believe that GNR is a HARD ROCK band. Not an industrial or progressive band, but a HARD ROCK band. Their best music, regardless of any lineup is lean and mean HARD ROCK. In my opinion, the best music on Chinese Democracy are the songs that balance old GNR swagger with the dense sound and production that Axl seems to favor so much. 

I think GNR should forge a new identity of mixing old with the new. So for me, the best music that new GNR could make is still lean and mean, but now with a much tighter and technically proficient band. I'm really thinking that the band should be going for something with AFD-like fire and minimal production mixed with the excellent playing from CD (And potentially a SMALL amount of the industrial tone). This new sound could be the catalyst for a large amount of new music and also allow the old music to be reinterpreted in awesome new ways (Instead of just playing it straight like the studio versions).

And as for the players, I'm very much a believer of a "trim-the-fat" philosophy. I haven't had the chance to attend a GNR concert yet, but I've watched a fair share of their full concerts online (Download 2006, Rock AM Ring 2006, LA Forum 2011, Sydney 2013) to get a general idea of what a concert from them is like. Yes, the playing is very tight, the jams are cool, the set-lists are immaculate and overall the concerts rock, but I still can't get over the notion that the playing is kind of bloated (As a result from too many people on stage) and none of the songs are drastically different from the studio versions (I mean, I enjoy the hits, but I enjoy seeing a band work with them in a new context even more).

So without further adeu, here's my ideal "new" GNR lineup (PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS MY OPINION):

1) The Frontman - Axl Rose: Well this is kinda obvious (He is the sole constant member after all). But honestly, I think Axl has kind of let himself go. When I saw Axl perform at the Download Festival in 2006, he was built like he was in 1991, had a roaring voice and kinda made a new trademark for himself with cool-looking cornrows. Nowadays, he's gained a lot of weight and hides behind thick clothes with stupid glasses and hats. I know a lot of people will argue that they don't care if he's fat or not, but get real; your music is affected by the shape you're in. I also understand he can't roar like he could in 1987 but his voice has gone under some pretty bad degradation since 2006 and as such, he needs to adjust appropriately and find a new voice for himself. Granted he's gotten a lot better with this and his voice is still in good form, but nonetheless his Mickey-Mouse wail is unacceptable. Whether it be down-toning (Robert Plant has forged a heck of an identity for himself) or voice coaching (A lot of singers over 50 get it, so why not Axl?), I think he owes it to himself to get back in top-shape if he wants to please his fans. There's no excuse for a musician to not give 110%.

2) Bass - Tommy Stinson: I love Tommy and I'm also a huge Replacements fan. He's got a much wider musical range than Duff ever did and he can also roar on the vocals. I'd love to see him take the lead on some new songs in the future. My only complaint is that when compared to Duff, his bass is kinda drowned out in the mix of the other players and as such, I think he should either turn the volume up or adopt a bit more of an aggressive playing style.

3) Guitars - Bumblefoot and Richard Fortus: I'm kind of against a three guitar concept in general as I think it bloats the sound. There's only a few bands I know that successfully implemented three standing guitarists (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Whitechapel) but I sincerely don't think that GNR is one of them. I know a lot of people will argue that "Oh AFD had guitar overdubs" but once again, I don't go to concerts to hear straight studio versions of songs. A great live band takes the space given for a song and finds new ways to work with it. Besides, two guitarists did it originally just fine.

Buckethead and Robin Fincke are great players, but I don't think they fit GNR's image very well. As for Ashba, my opinion on him has grown (He's a great player - The Ballad of Death is an epic solo), but I just can't get over his image. The whole washed-up Motley Crue vibe is stupid and I'm always going to think he's a Slash copy (For the record, he wasn't wearing that stupid hat prior to his tenure with GNR). I'm always going to think a third guitar doesn't add anything amazing to the mix and any GNR song (CD included) can be done with two guitarists.

So let those two guitarists be the best ones that GNR has had since 1997: Bumblefoot and Richard Fortus. Bumblefoot is a top-par player and class act; he can easily handle any main riff and also go wild on any solos. Richard is one of the best rhythm players I've ever seen and I love how he can also stretch out to take a lead role whenever the situation calls for it. They mesh together well and I know they both have the skill to tackle any song they want. The duo is powerful, tight and also much more skilled than any other guitarists that GNR has ever had.

4) Drums - Brain: Simply put, anybody who can drum with Les Claypool and Bucketheadl obviously has some merits. He's got both the groove of Steven Adler and the power of Matt Sorum. It's a real shame he left the band, but naturally family comes first.

But on the topic of drummers, I'm not a big fan of Frank Ferrer. Yes, he's gotten a lot better and his drumming is rather suited to the CD songs, but I think his style is kinda soft and stale. To be quite honest, I think he's the worst drummer GNR has ever had and he runs circles around all of the previous ones.

5) Keys - Dizzy Reed: He's a bit of a fixture now, isn't he? Humor aside, Dizzy is an excellent keyboardist and not too bad on the percussion either.

But one thing I will never understand is why the hell Chris Pitman is even in the band. I mean seriously, why does the band need a SECOND keyboardist? The only other group who ever successfully implemented that combination was the Band and GNR is not even remotely close to them. I understand if he was needed to complete the lineup in the early 90's, but that niche was filled over a decade ago and I see no reason why he's kept around. On top of that, I rarely see Chris playing in any of the live footage I've seen him in and if he is playing, it's not audible at all. I think he does programming/synthesizers or something along those lines, but that's not what GNR is about for me at all! Finally, he comes off as a complete asshole in all of the interviews I've seen him in. I remember when Axl was asked on Jimmy Kemmel on who would be the first one to go from the current lineup and he said, "Probably Chris" and I'd welcome that with open arms. He's the biggest example of a waste of space and anything he can do, Dizzy can do better alone.

So, that's what I think. Now my question is, what do YOU think?

Thank you for reading and I'm very excited to see your opinions!
LuanVictor
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

Axl
Finck
Buckethead / Bumblefoot
Fortus
Tommy
Brain
Dizzy
Pitman
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »

Honestly, I like the 2002 lineup but the current line ups cohesion and energy is the best it might have been over any lineup

JeffK
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57:36 AM »

For the record...he wasn't wearing this particular hat before GNR...he was wearing a different black hat with white stitching that was much taller and more like a top hat than the one he wears now. Check out some sixx am stuff from crue fest 1.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:34:27 AM by JeffK » Logged

2006: Edmonton
2010: Calgary
2010: Saskatoon
2012: Las Vegas (x2)
2014: Las Vegas (x2)
2016: Las Vegas
2016: Toronto
2017: Regina
2017: Edmonton
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:31:58 AM »

axl
tommy
ashba
bumblefoot
4tus
frank
dizzy
chris

anyday fat or not fat. (edit. i dont get why they say axl is fat, he looks like a normal 50 year old.)

i think each lineup was unique in the own way. and by far i have enjoyed this one the most.
and i have to disagree about the drummers, i think frank is a very powerful drummer and hes been able to steal the show which i havent seen brain do. josh freese is one of the best drummers out there today and it would have been interesting to see what he would have done with gnr live.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:40:05 AM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:18:27 AM »

Axl Rose
Robin Finck
Buckethead
Richard Fortus
Tommy Stinson
Dizzy Reed
Chris Pitman
Brain

love
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »

Axl Rose
Robin Finck
Buckethead
Richard Fortus
Tommy Stinson
Dizzy Reed
Chris Pitman
Brain

love
that 2002 us tour was something really magic and now 11years after very mysterious. as time goes by the more i like that tour

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:19:18 AM »

I actually think the current line up is just what they need. But I will point out that I love Robin and his work! Just think that Robin in the end fits in NIN better then GNR.
I would really like to see this line up crank out a raw and down to basics album. More on a Jack White style. I think even with all the players in GNR they could pull of an old fashion raw and dirty Rock album.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »

For me, it would have to be this current lineup.  I think that this lineup can produce a GOOD HARD ROCK album if given the opportunity to do so. I do agree that GNR is NOT an industrial nor progressive band. They NEVER were!  Regarding Axl's voice, I would say check him out in concert. The Youtube video really doesn't do it justice. When I saw him play at the Izod  two years ago, he till had his voice. Even my date was impressed and she liked Madonna and Tori Amos... With all this being said, NOTHING will ever beat the original lineup.
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »

For me the current line up is the ideal.
there are no tensions,no fights (as fan as what we know)
and has been reliable and solid since Ashba joined 4 years ago.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:59:40 AM »

Also I agree 90% with your post mr. Iranoutofideas. It's a must to catch a concert on the next tour,simply because there's no comparison in actually being there front row than in front of a pc.
And the Ashba comments...Your opinion is respected but I think he has a style 100% his own.Noone can copy Slash,image wise or playing.
Ashba to me fits like a glove with the band.Plus he's a nice guy ! I asked for a picture in Basel and he might seemed tired and bored but didn't say no.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
IRanOutOfIdeas
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »

It's great to see all of your opinions!

And I agree that new GNR does need to return to their roots and do a raw album, but I think the best way to do a raw album is with my idea of a raw lineup.

To each his own though!
Occultist
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 06:16:16 AM »

either the last one or the classic:

Axl
Izzy
Slash
Duff
Mat (sorry Steven)
Dizzy
the backing vocal girls (tracy & roberta)
Zig Zag
wadey
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 08:00:30 PM »

Axl
Ron
Richard
Bucket
Robin
Dj
Tommy
Brain
Frank
Dizzy
And a bigger stage
And yeah i agree about Chris ( nice guy but GnR isnt about synth)

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »

What bout: Axl, Dizzy, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Bumble, Gilby and Teddy.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »

Axl
Robin
Buckethead
Richard
Tommy
Brain
Dizzy
Chris

but the current line-up w/ Ron, DJ and Frank is awesome too.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »

2006 Axl
Buckethead
Fortus
Brain
Tommy (unless Duff is around)
Dizzy
Pitman

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: