Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:08:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227782 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 FIFA World Cup
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup  (Read 15343 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: December 06, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
Group C: Colombia, Greece, Cote d'Ivoire, Japan
Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea Republic

12 June ? 13 July

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »

Damn, just came here to create the thread! You're fast Jarmo! Anxious to argue with you!  hihi

My thoughts:

- There are 4 groups that can be easily named ''the group of death'', but group ''D'' is just too much: 3 world champions in the same group, something incredible that is only possible because of the ridiculous FIFA ranking. I'm with Italy (2) and England (1) to survive.

- As I am argentine, i have mixed emotions about group ''F''. It's a very accessible group, but it can be counterproductive to Argentina because we need to fix SEVERAL things to our team to be in top form like all world cups require. I dont think our coach is gonna change too many things, because I think he thinks he can survive the group without too much problems, and that can be fatal. Also, Argentina will play against Switzerland or Ecuador in round of 16 if everything goes as the ''logic'' indicates. And following that logic, the worst scenario for us in quarterfinals would be Portugal, a team I respect but I think is clearly inferior to us. Anyway, it would be a really blockbuster quarterfinal if we have the 2 unquestionable best players in the world face to face (Cristiano and Lio Messi)

- Group B is going to be a slaughter. Do not underestimate Chile because they are a strong and solid group with a couple of amazing players like Alexis and Medel. I think Spain will win the group and that Netherlands will have a tough task to end the group above the chileans.

- Group C looks like the most boring of them all, with Colmbia and Japan as the favourites to my eyes.

- Group G is the second thoughest group IMO, because USA can put any nation in serious troubles nowadays. Logically, the germans and Portugal are the favourites, and even Ghana can complicate any opponent if they are in a good day.

- Group H is another irrelevant group. Luckily, the winner of the match between the winner this group and the second of group G will play against Argentina (if we succed in round of 16).

- Brazil will make it easily in their group, but they are condemned to face a very tough test in round of 16: Spain or Netherlands (chile, in the best of the scenarios)

The players to pay attention to are well known by everybody:

- Argentina: Lio Messi, Kun Aguero, Di Maria and Higuain.
- Brasil: Neymar, Marcelo, Dani Alves
- Spain: Iniesta, Xavi, Casillas
- Italy: Ballotelli, Buffon
- France: Frank Ribery, Karim Benzema
- Germany: Klose, Shchweinsteiger, Lahm, Muller
- Portugal: CR7
- England: Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard
- Netherlands: Van Persie, Robben

My guesses:

A: Brazil (1) - Mexico (2)
B: Spain (1) - Netherlands (2)
C: Japan (1) - Colombia (2)
D: England (1) - Italy (2)
E: France (1) - Ecuador (2)
F: Argentina (1) - Nigeria (2)
G: Germany (1) - Portugal (2)
H: Korea (1) - Belgium (2)

and with all the round of 16 draws, this is my final guess (yeah, im argentine  Grin )

you can create your own guesses here: http://www.ole.com.ar/pronostico-mundial/

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:24:49 AM »

It's an interesting viewpoint that's for sure. I'm certain a lot of the top teams will get out of their groups, although teams like Chile, USA, Switzerland and Greece could be wild cards. I hope England can make it out of group D, but Uruguay are a strong side, and Italy are world class.

My favourite team has always been Brazil and I support them all the time. Thought they were very unfortunate in 2010 not to win it. They had a lot of strong players back then like Louis Fabiano who I love. But after the 3-0 win over Spain in the Confederations Cup final, I see Brazil as the favourite. I don't see anyone stopping them, especially with the tournament being held in Brazil too.

Interesting prospect of Brazil playing Spain or Netherlands early on as well. But I'm calling it now, Brazil will triumph on home soil in 2014.  Wink
FootSoldier
Headliner

Crawls Through Your Veins Like Millions of Spiders

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »

Australia Sad

---GNR---
Melbourne, Australia - 15 & 16 June  2007
Adelaide, Australia - 07 December  2010
Las Vegas, USA -  09 & 10 November  2012
Melbourne, Australia - 16 & 17 March 2013
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »

I think Ivory Coast could make a surprising run.  Yaya Toure is an excellent player and they're in probably the weakest group.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:49 PM »

Shit, looks like my two favorite teams might meet in the quarter finals... Unless something unexpected happens...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »

Shit, looks like my two favorite teams might meet in the quarter finals... Unless something unexpected happens...

/jarmo

Holland and... Huh

Wouldn't Holland need to beat Brazil to get to the QF?  Pretty evenly matched teams... I wouldn't consider Brazil winning to be unexpected.   Grin

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:33:26 AM »

2010 World Cup -thread never forget beer

It's hard to say which of these groups is the most interesting one. In B there are the finalists from the last WC and D is also very interesting with England facing Italy. Then again, I'm waiting for USA to give us all some sort of surprise by going through from group G. Don't forget that some of the "biggest teams" might easily fail, like France and Italy in 2010. I think France also did it in 2002 hihi And I'm always hoping for some of the underdogs to succeed.

Overall I'm hoping for an entertaining and simply amazing tournament that I will be always missing, like 1998 and 2010 tournaments. It's not just about the games (of course they are the most important thing), it's also about the atmosphere and all that happens outside the pitch, it's about the whole thing that goes on for a month.. like the feeling you get everytime a game is about to start and the tournament's theme song kicks in! Wink

In the end I think Brazil was the only real bidder for this tournament? Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Fifa simply decide that in 2014 the tournament would be held in South America, and after a while all the other candidates withdrew from the process, leaving Brazil as the only choice? I think Brazil will do great though, even with the problems in the stadia and infra constructions. And as you never know what really goes on behind the scenes when it comes to Fifa - *cough* Qatar *cough* - I think this might be one of the last great World Cups if Fifa will not change the bidding rules and its way of handling things.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »

/jarmo

Holland and... Huh

Wouldn't Holland need to beat Brazil to get to the QF?  Pretty evenly matched teams... I wouldn't consider Brazil winning to be unexpected.   Grin

Yes, sorry. So it's even worse!

/jarmo

Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »

Belgium will kick some ass this year

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »

Just to recap yesterday's World Cup opening game between Brazil and Croatia...

The supposed heavy favorite starts things off by scoring in their own goal.  1-0 Croatia.

Soon after, Neymar, Brazil's star player, blatantly and intentionally elbows a Croat in the eye.  A clear red card offense, but walks away with only a yellow card.  So he stays in the game and shortly after ties it up with a goal that Chris Pitman could have saved, but Croatia's goalie some how misses.  1-1.

Midway through the second half, a Brazilian player was barely touched (even after he initiated contact) and then takes a horrible dive to induce a penalty call.  The referee, being among the best refs in the world, otherwise, why would he be in a World Cup game, immediately calls bullshit on the dive and properly red cards the Brazilian.  Oops, no, that's not what happened, he actually calls the penalty and Neymar scores on the ensuing penalty kick even though the Croatian goalie gets in position to stop the kick, but instead deflects it into his own net.  2-1 Brazil.

Late in the 2nd half, after a beautiful cross, Croatia scores an equalizer to tie it up!  No, penalty on the Croat who went up for the cross, as he dared to touch the Brazilian goalie when doing so.  So no goal.

In extra time, Brazil tacks on another goal, this time by Oscar... and again the Croat goalie has cement shoes on.  3-1 Brazil, the final.

Be sure to tune in on Saturday for the Italy-England match, where they'll play in a $270 million stadium with a sand field that is spray-painted green.  http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-manaus-pitch-is-being-spray-painted-green-1590072040

sandman
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »

great first game! croatia was generating some pressure and had a chance to tie it up late. that second spot in Group A is wide open - i think Croatia has a good shot at advancing.

great games every day! looking forward to Spain-Netherlands. i'm guessing Spain wins and Chile ends up advancing out of Group B (with Spain). IF Chile advances, we could be in for a shocker in the first Knockout Stage match.

Group D is wide open. Columbia will probably advance, but not a lock. i'm rooting for Ivory Coast, but Japan is solid.

I don't think England or the US advance. both are in very tough groups. USA is in the group of death. Ghana is a good team - no easy matches for anyone in this group.

France has a cake walk to the quarterfinals.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »

Just to recap yesterday's World Cup opening game between Brazil and Croatia...

The supposed heavy favorite starts things off by scoring in their own goal.  1-0 Croatia.

Soon after, Neymar, Brazil's star player, blatantly and intentionally elbows a Croat in the eye.  A clear red card offense, but walks away with only a yellow card.  So he stays in the game and shortly after ties it up with a goal that Chris Pitman could have saved, but Croatia's goalie some how misses.  1-1.

Midway through the second half, a Brazilian player was barely touched (even after he initiated contact) and then takes a horrible dive to induce a penalty call.  The referee, being among the best refs in the world, otherwise, why would he be in a World Cup game, immediately calls bullshit on the dive and properly red cards the Brazilian.  Oops, no, that's not what happened, he actually calls the penalty and Neymar scores on the ensuing penalty kick even though the Croatian goalie gets in position to stop the kick, but instead deflects it into his own net.  2-1 Brazil.

Late in the 2nd half, after a beautiful cross, Croatia scores an equalizer to tie it up!  No, penalty on the Croat who went up for the cross, as he dared to touch the Brazilian goalie when doing so.  So no goal.

In extra time, Brazil tacks on another goal, this time by Oscar... and again the Croat goalie has cement shoes on.  3-1 Brazil, the final.

Be sure to tune in on Saturday for the Italy-England match, where they'll play in a $270 million stadium with a sand field that is spray-painted green.  http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-manaus-pitch-is-being-spray-painted-green-1590072040

that penalty shot was such a horrendous call!

i truly believe that diving in soccer is a major reason why the sport doesn't catch on with many sports fans in the U.S.  tough to respect a game that encourages that.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »

that penalty shot was such a horrendous call!

i truly believe that diving in soccer is a major reason why the sport doesn't catch on with many sports fans in the U.S.  tough to respect a game that encourages that.

Agreed, and it's not just how prevalent diving is, but the magnitude of it.  You flop in basketball, big deal, it earns you max, 2 pts out of the 100 or so your team will score.  Do it in soccer, it tends to decide the entire game.  All the more reason it needs to be stopped.  I'm not crazy about instant replay during a game, but there's no reason that can't be reviewed post-game to decide whether a player should be suspended.  If they did that, there's no doubt players would be deterred from pulling that crap.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:36:58 PM »

It was great to see the cheating Spanish hammered by the Dutch. If nothing else happens in this World Cup, this has pleased me no end.

I like some of the Spanish players, but the last World Cup Final was a farce.

I just hope the refereeing improves, generally, for the upcoming matches. Brazil were lucky, and Mexico struggled to win when they should have won handsomely.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:35:09 PM by Mysteron » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »

OMG Australia

I thought Chile were away to storm it 5-0. What a match too!

Oh well, 2-1 half time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:47:26 PM by Mysteron » Logged
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »

Well...hope the i'm-finnish-but--i-live-in-Sweden-and-i'm-a-fan-of-Holland guy is happy  hihi.

Hello Jarmo. Like 2010...i'm back  peace

ROBBEN IS A FUCKIN' BEAST.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:33:26 PM by Ulises » Logged

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »

Costa Rica 3 - 1 Uruguay. What is that about?

Costa Rica are supposed to be the whipping boys in the group. If England draw tonight against Italy, Costa Rica are in a strong position.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 06:36:05 AM »

Andrea Pirlo is a magician of the middlefield, great victory of the italians.

Now its our time. Open your eyes wide, Leo Messi is about to rock the Maracana  beer

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

So far, is this the greatest World Cup in history? I think so.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 07:28:44 AM »

it is easily the greatest i have ever seen. so far, that is. still very early. but there are lots of goals being scored - about 3 per game. and no ties until yesterdays snooze fest between iran and nigeria. and so many matches have been really enjoyable to watch.
and games i was not expecting to be entertaining have been incredible, such as Brazil-Croatia, Mexico-Cameroon, Chile-Austalia.
and we've had some truly shocking results....costa rica upsetting uruguay, and Netherlands dismantling Spain.
most of the good matchups have delivered as well....Italy-England, Ivory Coast-Japan, USA-Ghana.
yes, awesome WC thus far!

and great win by USA last night!!!!  beer

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »

So far, the players that have stood out most to me in the games I've watched are:

Brazil -- David Luiz, Oscar
Croatia -- Modric, Srna
Netherlands -- Van Persie, Robben
Italy -- Pirlo
England -- Sterling
Argentina -- Messi
Germany -- Lamm, Mueller
US -- Jones
Ghana - Atsu

Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »

it is easily the greatest i have ever seen. so far, that is. still very early. but there are lots of goals being scored - about 3 per game. and no ties until yesterdays snooze fest between iran and nigeria. and so many matches have been really enjoyable to watch.
and games i was not expecting to be entertaining have been incredible, such as Brazil-Croatia, Mexico-Cameroon, Chile-Austalia.
and we've had some truly shocking results....costa rica upsetting uruguay, and Netherlands dismantling Spain.
most of the good matchups have delivered as well....Italy-England, Ivory Coast-Japan, USA-Ghana.
yes, awesome WC thus far!

and great win by USA last night!!!!  beer

Maybe i exaggerated  hihi . But yes, it is the greatest I have ever seen.

I'm in love with Robben  love  hihi .

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »

Completely deflated from last night's 2-2 US-Portugal result.  US could not have blown it better on that late equalizer if they had tried. 

Bradley's midfield turnover that led to the goal was mind-blowingly horrendous.  The team is trying to hold a 1-goal lead for one more minute yet he's playing with the intensity to match a backyard pick-up game with his cousins at a family picnic.  I mean... look at this shit:

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/5C13C8DF5A1092650964491685888_21d5a88d56a.0.4.10236955366937105848.mp4?versionId=fceFv1Fbu_xPZ7rjm.CBTzWkXZCyqv4P

Bear in mind, he's supposed to be USA's best player.  He's been awful both games so far.  From the interviews I've seen with him, he appears to be a stoner dude and my guess is that the pressure of the event is just too much for him and he's been smoking way more pot than usual. 

sandman
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »

USA advanced from the group of death! Huge accomplishment.

Bradley has been awful in every match. He needs to find his game.

Belgium is very good, but beatable. We are lucky to avoid the true powerhouses in the first knockout match. 

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »

Fuck 'Em All.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »

this WC is really making a push for the greatest ever! 2 of the first 4 knockout games go to PK, and a third (netherlands-mexico) was just an incredible match. i really felt bad for mexico. they had a great tournament and it was looking like they might pull off a huge upset. they're a dangerous team.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »

this WC is really making a push for the greatest ever! 2 of the first 4 knockout games go to PK, and a third (netherlands-mexico) was just an incredible match. i really felt bad for mexico. they had a great tournament and it was looking like they might pull off a huge upset. they're a dangerous team.

Mexico gave both Brazil and Holland all they can handle.  To me, that illustrates the potential of this US team because the US has had the edge over Mexico in recent years (2 wins, 3 draws, no losses vs. Mexico in the last 3 years). 
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Jarmie!  hihi

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: