Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:35:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 137771 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »

60 Minutes is doing a segment on the ARod story tonight, should be interesting.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »

60 Minutes is doing a segment on the ARod story tonight, should be interesting.

The union was not too pleased with it, here's part of their statement:

"It is unfortunate that Major League Baseball apparently lacks faith in the integrity and finality of the arbitrator's decision and our Joint Drug Agreement, such that it could not resist the temptation to publicly pile on against Alex Rodriguez. It is equally troubling that the MLB-appointed panel arbitrator will himself be appearing in the '60 Minutes' segment, and that Tony Bosch, MLB's principal witness, is appearing on the program with MLB's blessing.

"MLB's post-decision rush to the media is inconsistent with our collectively bargained arbitration process, in general, as well as the confidentiality and credibility of the Joint Drug Agreement, in particular. After learning of tonight's '60 Minutes' segment, players have expressed anger over, among other things, MLB's inability to let the result of yesterday's decision speak for itself. As a result, the Players Association is considering all legal options available to remedy any breaches committed by MLB."

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »

Now ARod is suing the MLBPA and MLB looking for an overturn.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24408397

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »

I personally wish that MLB had banned A-hole for life. He is the epitome of a world class jerk who has lied and cheated his way to fortune at the expense of the game. I hope he not only sits out 2014 but then is cut by the Yankees and never plays again. His fate is sealed, he will not make the HOF and will go down in history as one of the most disliked  and disrespected athletes of all time. And I could not be happier.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »

He's grasping at straws. He has no chance of overturning this.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

Not much chance of ever playing again either.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »

Not much chance of ever playing again either.

Not in MLB anyway.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 08:22:57 PM »

Overturning?

No. Zero chance.  Because no judge is going to overrule the arbitration portion of the MLB/MLBPA Collective Bargaining agreement.  Just like they wouldn't do the same with the NFL during "bounty-gate".

Getting another arbitration hearing during which Selig (and anyone else Arod wants to testify so he can mount a strong defense) is forced to testify, and in front of a new, independantly agreed upon (by MLB, MLBPA, and Arods attorneys) arbitrator?  And getting an injunction against having to serve a day of his suspension until that happens?

Maybe 30%.  Higher if they can somehow wrangle a sympathetic judge who wants to get himself/herself into the limelight.

And getting an injunction against having to serve a day of his suspension until that happens?

Maybe 10%.

But not ZERO percent, which is why he's doing it.

I also think you're all mistaken if you actually think this is the end of him in MLB.  The Yanks cannot void his contract.  I suspect He will be on their 40 man roster....or SOMEONE'S 40 man roster, until the day that contract ends.  They still owe him SOOO much money.   I can't see any likely scenario where they pay him the rest of his contract, in it's entirety, to go away and hide.....even if he sucks.  If they release him...they can't pay that off over the rest of the contracts duration.  They have to pay it...every cent of it...the day they release him...unless they negotiate otherwise with him.  And why would he let them?

No, you'll see him in MLB again.  Maybe not as a PRODUCTIVE player, but as a player (even if on the bench), all the same.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:27:33 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »

The Yanks cannot void his contract.  I suspect He will be on their 40 man roster....or SOMEONE'S 40 man roster, until the day that contract ends.  They still owe him SOOO much money.   I can't see any likely scenario where they pay him the rest of his contract, in it's entirety, to go away and hide.....even if he sucks.  If they release him...they can't pay that off over the rest of the contracts duration.  They have to pay it...every cent of it...the day they release him...unless they negotiate otherwise with him.  And why would he let them?

Which only further highlights the utter absurdity of this ridiculous contract your beloved Yanks signed with this clown.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »

Overturning?

No. Zero chance.  Because no judge is going to overrule the arbitration portion of the MLB/MLBPA Collective Bargaining agreement.  Just like they wouldn't do the same with the NFL during "bounty-gate".

Getting another arbitration hearing during which Selig (and anyone else Arod wants to testify so he can mount a strong defense) is forced to testify, and in front of a new, independantly agreed upon (by MLB, MLBPA, and Arods attorneys) arbitrator?  And getting an injunction against having to serve a day of his suspension until that happens?

Maybe 30%.  Higher if they can somehow wrangle a sympathetic judge who wants to get himself/herself into the limelight.

And getting an injunction against having to serve a day of his suspension until that happens?

Maybe 10%.

But not ZERO percent, which is why he's doing it.

I also think you're all mistaken if you actually think this is the end of him in MLB.  The Yanks cannot void his contract.  I suspect He will be on their 40 man roster....or SOMEONE'S 40 man roster, until the day that contract ends.  They still owe him SOOO much money.   I can't see any likely scenario where they pay him the rest of his contract, in it's entirety, to go away and hide.....even if he sucks.  If they release him...they can't pay that off over the rest of the contracts duration.  They have to pay it...every cent of it...the day they release him...unless they negotiate otherwise with him.  And why would he let them?

No, you'll see him in MLB again.  Maybe not as a PRODUCTIVE player, but as a player (even if on the bench), all the same.
Obviously nothing is impossible but this is as about as close to it as you can get. The bounty gate was a completely different situation. A-Rod took illegal steroids over several years, tried to tamper with an investigation and destroy evidence etc. All of which are crimes. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »

If he doesn't play this year and i highly doubt he will i believe they owe him 61 million. If it were me i'd cut him and pay the 61 million just to get rid of the trash.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »

A-Rod's attorney has called out Alex's good friend David Ortiz as a steroid user. Well, he didn't use his name, but it's pretty obvious who he's referring to. Nobody is safe, Alex's back is against the wall and he's willing to take anyone and everyone down with him. Stay classy!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/14/rodriguez-attorney-points-finger-ortiz/kboOBqyDMGCa3MsQjXWIlI/story.html

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »

If he doesn't play this year and i highly doubt he will i believe they owe him 61 million. If it were me i'd cut him and pay the 61 million just to get rid of the trash.

If I were forced to bet on it, that's what I think the team will do.  Don't think that's ever happened before at anything near that price, but first time for everything, right?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »

Kershaw gets 215 over 7 from the Dodgers.

The Dodgers are aware pitchers tend to break and miss a year and a half at some point, right?

Hell, somebody woulda given that and more if he'd hit the market so anyway.

There maybe an opt out clause in his year 30 as well, wow.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/30-million-man-clayton-kershaw-and-the-dodgers-agree-to-a-seven-year-215-million-deal/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:36:06 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

The Dodgers are aware pitchers tend to break and miss a year and a half at some point, right?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/30-million-man-clayton-kershaw-and-the-dodgers-agree-to-a-seven-year-215-million-deal/

These contracts are going to be the norm from here on out for top tier players.  Players' percentage of revenues has been sliding for years (63% in 2003 to 42% in 2013... funny how the supposedly strongest union in sports gets its players the smallest piece of the pie).  I think we're going to start seeing a correction of that. 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »

Which only further highlights the utter absurdity of this ridiculous contract your beloved Yanks signed with this clown.

No arguments there.  Not then. Not now.

But it doesn't change the fact that.....they did sign it.

It's one of the reasons I was not all that sad to see Cano go, considering the contract Seattle offered him.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

Obviously nothing is impossible but this is as about as close to it as you can get. The bounty gate was a completely different situation. A-Rod took illegal steroids over several years, tried to tamper with an investigation and destroy evidence etc. All of which are crimes. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

It's not so different than bountygate, actually.  The reason for the suit is decidedly similar:  A tainted arbitration/appeal process. The specifics are different....sure.

Criminal activity has nothing to do with it, really.  Because MLB isn't the court system. They have no power of prosecution.  He allegedly broke rules and was suspended for it.  How much and to what extent is the point of the process.  He's saying the process is tainted.  We'll see if the courts agree.  They DID agree in somewhat similar situation with the NFL, and, the Collective Bargaining Agreement lays out that the player is allowed to call any witness pertinent to their defense.  All Arod has to do is prove that Selig's testimony would be pertinent to his defense.  NOT THAT it would prove him innocent...just that it COULD be integral. 

Oh, and FYI:  even if he did tamper with MLB's investigation, and destroy evidence...it's not illegal.  MLB has no power of supeona or investigation.  It is NOT a crime of any kind to tamper with their efforts. Period.   

As for his steroid taking..yes, it's a crime if he did it.  But the fed would almost certainly never prosecute based purely off Bosh's testimony and no physical evidence or positive testing.  And the court isn't going to consider it in their determination because it's prejudicial, and, no matter what MLB's findings are, they don't fulfill the burden of proof in a court of law.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »

In salary.

If you cut him you have to pay every single bonus and milestone remaining, as well, since you're depriving him of the ability to meet them.

Full contract value, with bonuses, would be just north of 73 million.  Remember, there was a couple of BIG bonuses attached to the HR milestones.

So, they can cut him and pay him 73 million in a lump sum.

Or they can keep him, bench him, and pay him 61 million over the remaining term.

Sorry, I would be SHOCKED if they cut him and took that hit.  They'd be even stupider than they were when signing the contract in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:37:37 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »

Sorry, I would be SHOCKED if they cut him and took that hit.  They'd be even stupider than they were when signing the contract in the first place.

Same here.

Like it or not, I fully expect ARod to be a part of the Yankees in 2015.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »

These contracts are going to be the norm from here on out for top tier players.  Players' percentage of revenues has been sliding for years (63% in 2003 to 42% in 2013... funny how the supposedly strongest union in sports gets its players the smallest piece of the pie).  I think we're going to start seeing a correction of that. 

That's a BIG annual salary.  The term is good...but 30.7 million per?  Yowza, that's a lot of money.  I agree, per annums are due to slide up a bit...but I'm not sure about THAT much.  Kershaw is worth a big contract, though....

Together again,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: